Can't open my notes...

Lizab2013

Idea

Ever since i updated Evernote in the past two days, i have had trouble accessing any of my notes. I can see them but if i try to open them, I get a blank screen AND then when i close the (blank) screen, the note becomes "untitled". Does anyone have a clue what is going on? Thanks

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

It sounds like you have upgraded to EN Mac 6.0, AppStore version.  This version has known bugs that cause the issues you are seeing.  Most likely all of your Notes are still there, just not being properly processed by Ver 6.0.

At this point, I would recommend that you do NOT use Ver 6.0 any more to avoid losing more of your Note Titles.

Your choices now are:

1. Switch to Direct D/L Ver 6.0.2 which has fixed these bugs
    See Evernote Mac v6.0.2 Released
    See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac

2. Wait for an update to the AppStore version to be released, which is due any day now.
    You can use EN Web until the update.

Ever since i updated Evernote in the past two days, i have had trouble accessing any of my notes. I can see them but if i try to open them, I get a blank screen AND then when i close the (blank) screen, the note becomes "untitled". Does anyone have a clue what is going on? Thanks

Happening to me too - THIS IS SO TERRIBLE. (Thanks, Evernote - especially since I have Premium.)

Nothing like losing all your class notes the day you have a test. I am so angry about this right now.

• Level 5*

If you just updated to Ver 6.0.3 AppStore, it might take a while to reindex your Notes.  During this period performance may be slow and Notes may not appear, or appear slowly.  Give it a few hours, up to a day to complete reindexing.

Also, try a restart of your Mac.

If you just updated to Ver 6.0.3 AppStore, it might take a while to reindex your Notes.  During this period performance may be slow and Notes may not appear, or appear slowly.  Give it a few hours, up to a day to complete reindexing.

Also, try a restart of your Mac.

Did both - still missing in action. This is really helpful during finals week.

• Level 5*

If you are still having issues with the Mac AppStore version, then you might want to switch to the Direct download version.

Even though EN Mac 6.0.3 Mac App Store has been released that is supposed to fix many of the Ver 6.0 issues, it appears that many issues remain.

At this point I have lost confidence in all EN Mac App Store versions, and recommend that users switch to the Direct Download version.  The latest is Evernote Mac v6.0.3.

Many of us have long preferred the Direct Download version as its benefits seem to far outweigh the delays and issues associated with the Mac App Store versions.

Jackolicious (EN employee), on 07 Dec 2014 - 9:52 PM, said:

Sandboxing (in the Mac App Store) is currently causing some very strange note-loading errors. As far as we can tell, these don't exist in the direct download version. 

The code-base between the two binary types is the same if the version numbers match (currently 6.0.3 is in both direct download and app store).

I just experienced this problem with Evernote 6.0.3 (from App Store). It's been working since the previous 6.0 bug that destroyed note titles, but it just showed this new failure mode today.

Workaround for those who need their notes: Exporting notes seems to work even when I can't view them. If you export as HTML, at least you can read your notes in a browser.

Comment for Evernote: This is completely unacceptable. Two fatal bugs that appear to destroy data (but really don't) in a couple of weeks. I'm about ready to switch to storing plain text (or Markdown) files in Dropbox. Same feature set for my use cases; much more reliable.

• Level 5

I just experienced this problem with Evernote 6.0.3 (from App Store). It's been working since the previous 6.0 bug that destroyed note titles, but it just showed this new failure mode today.

Workaround for those who need their notes: Exporting notes seems to work even when I can't view them. If you export as HTML, at least you can read your notes in a browser.

Comment for Evernote: This is completely unacceptable. Two fatal bugs that appear to destroy data (but really don't) in a couple of weeks. I'm about ready to switch to storing plain text (or Markdown) files in Dropbox. Same feature set for my use cases; much more reliable.

Upgrade to version 6.0.5!

Archived