Evernote Web Beta: Simplify Formatting?

Splittie

Idea

Is it possible to simplify the note formatting when using the web beta interface? If not, I would find this to be a useful feature to add.

I'm used to using the Evernote Windows program where I can do this but am trying out the new web beta site.

Thanks in advance.

5 replies to this idea

Hi Splittie, 

Can you clarify what you mean by "simplify the note formatting"?  Are you referring to text editing features like "Bold" and "Bullet points" etc? This feature is currently shown when you highlight the text you plan to edit. 

Nancy 

Hello Nancy,

The stand-alone Evernote program in Windows includes the choice to "simplify formatting" (see the attached screenshot) when right-clicking on a note. 

If you've ever clipped news articles, forum pages, etc. that have lots of ads, social media icons that scream "CLICK ME"  or pages of comments that follow the story, this unnecessary fills a note with content I don't want and which affects the layout of the note in a visually disruptive fashion. :angry:

I do try to use the "Clearly" browser plugin to strip the formatting away before my notes are saved, but sometimes this isn't possible, or it strips away some of the content I'm interested in saving.

Using "simplify formatting" in the Evernote Windows application strips much of the problematic formatting away, groups the unwanted links, etc. making it much easier to edit them out. :)

The screenshots below show a tame example at three stages: pre-simplify, post-simplify, and after editing out the unwanted content. Other pages can be filled with much more extraneous content than this that make the content disruptive to read and have to scroll through.

I don't see this right-click option in the web client.

Thanks for asking.

post-123623-0-63542800-1417566385_thumb.

post-123623-0-50305900-1417566386_thumb.

post-123623-0-38626000-1417566411_thumb.

On 01/12/2014 at 5:17 PM, nanphan said:

Hi Splittie, 

Can you clarify what you mean by "simplify the note formatting"?  Are you referring to text editing features like "Bold" and "Bullet points" etc? This feature is currently shown when you highlight the text you plan to edit. 

Nancy 

On 01/12/2014 at 5:17 PM, nanphan said:

Hi Splittie, 

Nancy 

I don't know what offends me most,  if it is (1) the Evernote employee who is not even familiar with their own software or (2) the fact that they are trained to give us all the same stupid old answers for every question we make = I'VE NOTED YOUR FEEDBACK/POINT/OPINION and we will soon be rolling out a version of it or OUR TEAM IS WORKING ON IT. COME ON GUYS!!!!!  I've followed these posts for so long now that I know they just give these answers so that we leave them alone. Solution: LET'S STOP USING EVERNOTE for while, and as soon as they announce meaningful changes, we start using it again.

Archived