Log out at quit & sync before quitting - Why are they gone?

Hi,

before the last update (actual version 6.0), when I quit Evernote it used to automatically log me out. Now, if I don't want others to enter my Evernote, I have to log out first then quit it. I don't think this is very clever, specially in some offices or in other places where you sometimes shre your computer with others, or others may access it during lunch hours, for example. If you don't know this "new feature", your data may be exposed to curious people.

Maybe you could include an option for logging out when quitting on preferences so, those like me to prefer the old way can use it and those who prefer the new way will still be happy.

As I see it, "sync before quitting" is also gone! It makes no sense if the edited data is not available everywhere...

People are humans. We forget things we want software to help us not give us more things to remember, specially when we didn't had to. These changes doesn't make too much sense to me but the better way is to give us the option to embrace them or not on preferences. Let me customise Evernote to my needs and taste.

By the way, the new look is much better.

Thanks,

José Eduardo

In the last four years I've used Evernote I've never seen an option to automatically log a user out of the desktop client on close, but others around here seem to think that used to be the case. Anyway, this was not a feature of version 5.X and is isn't a feature of version 6.X

The best way to deal with privacy issues is to make sure any other users of your computer have their own User Account.

I'd be wary of letting other people use your same Computer User account regardless of whether Evernote is password protected or not. Even if you log out of Evernote, your database is still on the hard drive and accessible to anyone else who has access to your computer user account. Logging out does not protect you from this (or other, similar snooping such as accessing your local email database from your email client). 

I'd highly recommend just making sure that on a shared computer you have your own, password protected user account that only you use, or if that is not possible, that you refrain from storing personal information locally and rely on web clients (that goes for email too...).

Scott, you are wrong...

The feature exist prior to version 5.7 on Mac, but may be not in the exactly way that describes Jose .

And Jack do a warning about this in a post some time ago.

If I remember well, prior to version 5.7, when you start the app, in the login window there was an option to remember the login info or not. (Or somethings has 'automatic login', I don't remember well)

If you chose 'no' then when exiting evernote, the session was closed.

The loss of this function is really annoying, with all the security problems that says Jose.

And surprise me that anyone else has noticed the problem

That's right, rbianchi.

I don't know why some software companies change some basic things that simply work. I was really surprised with this from Evernote. Instead of simplifying, they create another click, just one more amazing feature you'll never use, and all that. Sync when quit is another example.

I believe people feel the need to change something. Sometimes that's the worst that can be done.

Nevertheless, I still stand by my advise. Even if the app logs you out your database remains and is accessible to snooping eyes. Your only true way to avoid other users of your computer from snooping on your Evernote (and your email, and EVERYTHING else), is to create separate user accounts. This would be true whether the app offers to log you out upon quitting or not. (Albeit, it is slightly harder for a user to snoop when you are logged out, a determined user could do it in a matter of seconds). 

Scott,

I just don't want my kids or anyone to enter Evernote and erase data that I stored there. This was easily done the old way and all that was needed was a password.

Now you need to remember to log out and sync before quitting. This is not an improvement, an evolution of the software.

If you want to keep your data safe from the NSA, use paper. And burn it after use.

Scott,

I just don't want my kids or anyone to enter Evernote and erase data that I stored there. This was easily done the old way and all that was needed was a password.

Now you need to remember to log out and sync before quitting. This is not an improvement, an evolution of the software.

If you want to keep your data safe from the NSA, use paper. And burn it after use.

Create a user account on your computer for your kids. 

Scott, I think you misunderstood the question.

José says that if he forget to log out, then anyone who accesses later the pc can access his account in Evernote and delete content (through ignorance or malice).
Therefore, opening an account for kids only doubles the problem.

Scott, I think you misunderstood the question.

José says that if he forget to log out, then anyone who accesses later the pc can access his account in Evernote and delete content (through ignorance or malice).
Therefore, opening an account for kids only doubles the problem.

Ok, so I suppose if he forgets to log out of Evernote he could conceivably forget to log out of his computer user account too, in which case the separate user account stuff wouldn't help (though I'm not sure how this would "double" the problem, it seems like the problem would be the same),

But a new user account solves a plethora of issues:

1) Kids have their own user account that cannot access José's data, so they cannot view or delete it by accident or otherwise. This also prevents the kids from accessing other types of Data such as his email, browser history, personal/work documents, etc. 

2) José can set his user account to auto log-out after a period of inactivity so that even if he forgets to log himself out, the computer will do it for him, hopefully before his kids run to the computer. This is fairly easy to accomplish on a Mac.

3) José can take some responsibility for his data (all of his data, not just Evernote data), as all users need to, by taking steps to safeguard it, such as by logging out of his computer user account. 

Can you explain how creating separate user accounts for his children will double the problem? To me, as long as José remembers to log out, or his computer logs him out automatically, the problem is reduced to zero, and if he forgets to log out, the problem remains the same it has always been. 

Scott, By 'double the problem' I refer to the situation when now two accounts are at the sight of anyone who accesses computer.

But forget it, may be is a bad example.

In my case, at home and work, I have the iMac on all the time, and I do not want to have to turn it off every time that I leave my desk, or go out of my home.

So, if I forget to close the session in Evernote before quit, anyone who accesses the computer can spy my data, simply launching the application.

IMO, this is the question raised by josé.

Maybe you think the solution is to send the mac to sleep, and set a password to wake up, and that will work fine. But what if my boss has to access my computer and I do not want him access to my data in Evernote? I every time remember to log out before quit?

The final question remains: ¿Why Evernote removes this useful feature?

If EN had not done it, we would not be discussing these things.

I'm with you rbianchi, I was very attached to this feature - I don't mind my family using my computer but don't want them inadvertently changing/deleting my Evernote notes. This feature was only added a year or two ago - really don't understand why it's gone. Argh.

Gentleman, I believe Mr Scott is trying to make his point of view stand over the others instead of watch the whole and see what's better for the situation.

A software is supposedly developed to give you solutions, not problems. Evernote created a problem on its last update. And I'm not the only one unhappy with this. Check Apple App Store for the Mac and it has only two stars, despite being deeply promoted.

Remember Word, from Microsoft? It began life as a simple word processor and ended up trying to be the new master of life. Microsoft saw this, reduced its size, improved speed, stopped adding idiot features and Word became a fast and nice word processor again.

Evernote is full of features and new features I don't even care to take a look at because they deviate from its origin: a nice environment to organize notes and data.

Its latest new feature is some kind of Messenger/Whatsapp called Work Chat. We have iMessage, Facetime, Messenger, Whatsapp, phones, e-mail, Skype, Facebook, Facebook Messenger... Does the world needs an Evernote Work Chat? What for? Why?

Evernote needs to bring focus back on what is useful for its users, on how they use Evernote and on improving this, the usability and the pleasure users have when achieving what they want with no thrills.

We don't need a re-invention of e-mail, a recreation of Facetime/Skype, new letters on the alphabet, more amazing new numbers o a new layout for keyboards, all much better than the actual ones we've been using since ever.

On this small post we can see what users - except Scott - want: a software that doesn't get between what you and what you want, and that helps you on achieving what you want.

The person who deleted these two features should be returned to the lower point of the hierarchy, in my opinion

• 3 weeks later...

Family checking out some websites or games from the users account need't be technically skilled to figure out the Evernote database location on the HD to delete contents or have the laptop compromised as such. The request to just enable logout and sync while quitting is just a simple way to keep personal data safe from being tampered with.

If you say that separate accounts need to be created, wouldn't it be possible for different accounts to traverse to other user accounts home folder and access the evernote data? For this to happen, they need sudo + technical skills. 

$ cd /Users/<username>/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data…

So, the ask simply is to restore the old option to logout and sync while quitting.

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely agree. I was very dependent on the auto log out feature when quitting evernote. For me I am not worried about people accessing my files because on the MAC HD they are pretty hard to find unless you are specifically looking for them. I don't want people to have access to my notes. No one is on my computer anyways, but regardless. 

I don't know why EN got rid of this feature seeing that it was not obtrusive. I don't get it and unless it comes back maybe I need to start looking for other applications. 

• 4 weeks later...

The whole idea of login was treated as a security feature and initially not available to people with free accounts. Then 2-factor was added, again as a security feature. At that time it worked exactly as OP described: you could quit the app and upon opening it again, it would ask for the password AND 2-factor auth. I liked that, especially once it was brought to the free tier. Plus I use this on multiple devices such as iPads and iPhone where "making other accounts" is just nonsense.

Now you mean to say that for those who found it useful, they were just kidding, it's not really a security feature, they don't care about your security, or that it was just a ruse? None of that sounds useful or acceptable. Would be great if this was added back. Quite disappointed.

• 5 months later...

My computer just now updated to the new Evernote. A few things I'm majorly disappointed in is the color is gone - so now it looks just like my mail, my excel, my word, and every other app and software that I use - have all our designers gone color blind? Is color now a sin? 

Anyway, my biggest concern now is that evernote in its new version does not automatically sign me out when I quit. 

I do not want my boss or anybody else walking by my computer, opening evernote (which we share as an office), and taking a look at notes that I have specifically chosen NOT to share. 

My evernote account is not mine. It belongs to the office. But I am in development and sometimes there are private bits of information about meetings and donors that I do not want to share or have shared - but that I need as a reference. The auto log-out was a safety feature that was very important to me. Especially since we do sometimes need to access each other's computers for information - like videos, photos, templates - that are stored locally and not shared office wide. 

And yes, most of us use the free account - because we are a non-profit, only our boss has a paid account at the moment. Again - I don't own my account. I leave my desk for meetings, phone calls, and other reasons - and I promise I'm not going to log out of evernote every single time. 

BAD CHOICE

MelissaAud,

I'm impressed by how Evernote ignores this request and is also blind to its consumer needs. There's been many updates since I began this topic and we haven't seen ANY light at the end of the tunnel. I doubt there'll be.

It's so obvious that that was a useful privacy feature and the checkbox allowed those who needed it to use it and those who didn't care not to. Why discard it remains a mystery. Maybe they'll ask us to buy it...

Really, really bad move, Evernote

Archived