Huge memory consumption on Yosemite

Running Evernote 6.02 on OSX Yosemite on an iMac 2011. After a while (at least a day) the computer appeared very slow. Activity monitor reported that Evernote consumed a whopping 56 GB of memory.

Has anyone else come across this? Should I blame Evernote or Apple?

• Level 5*

Are you sure it is 56 GB, and not 56 MB ??

On my MBA-13 it shows Evernote having only 160 MB, and my Mac is running fine.

Maybe you need to restart your Mac.

Running Evernote 6.02 on OSX Yosemite on an iMac 2011. After a while (at least a day) the computer appeared very slow. Activity monitor reported that Evernote consumed a whopping 56 GB of memory.

Has anyone else come across this? Should I blame Evernote or Apple?

In general, I feel 6.0 is really lagging on my 2012 Macbook Air (8GB RAM). It is especially apparent for me when tabbing on a list, but I even felt lag when typing. In addition, Yosemite shows Evernote as an app which is using "significant energy." Activity Monitor shows it consuming 1.09 GB of memory.

• Level 5*

After the initial update to Ver 6.0.2, also on a 2012 MBA-13, I found Evernote did consume quite a bit of CPU and Memory while it was reindexing my notes.  But after a few hours it calmed down to minimal CPU/Memory.  Some users have reported it took a day or so to complete the reindexing.

Also, if after several hours Evernote is still running hard, try quitting EN and restarting your Mac.  This has helped in some cases.

If you are running EN 6.0 AppStore version, then you may want to switch to the latest Direct D/L version:

See Evernote Mac v6.0.2 Released.

In general, I feel 6.0 is really lagging on my 2012 Macbook Air (8GB RAM). It is especially apparent for me when tabbing on a list, but I even felt lag when typing. In addition, Yosemite shows Evernote as an app which is using "significant energy." Activity Monitor shows it consuming 1.09 GB of memory.

I can report the same sluggishness or 'unsmoothness' (on the 2013 MBA) that simply wasn't there in 5.6 .

According to the activity monitor it consumes around 100 mb

I assume it's a performance bug, but despite repeatedly posting about it I have yet to receive a comment.

I hope they have not decided that Evernote is no longer meant for ultraportables. I mean the Macbook Air is a rather popular product, featured in Evernotes own marketing. Is anyone having a smooth performance on their Macbook Air? 

• Level 5*

I have been, and continue to have "smooth performance" on my MBAs, the oldest being a 2011 model with only 4GB, i5 1.7 GHz CPU, and 128 GB SSD.  It is running Yosemite and EN Mac 6.0.2 with good performance.

So, no, I do NOT think that Evernote is in any way trying to move away from supporting ultraportables like MacBook Air.

Many users have reported it takes a while to reindex, and during that period performance may be subpar.

Also, a restart often helps.

I can report the same sluggishness or 'unsmoothness' (on the 2013 MBA) that simply wasn't there in 5.6 .

I assume it's a performance bug, but despite repeatedly posting about it I have yet to receive a comment.

I hope they have not decided that Evernote is no longer meant for ultraportables. I mean the Macbook Air is a rather popular product, featured in Evernotes own marketing. Is anyone having a smooth performance on their Macbook Air? 

I have been, and continue to have "smooth performance" on my MBAs, the oldest being a 2011 model with only 4GB, i5 1.7 GHz CPU, and 128 GB SSD.  It is running Yosemite and EN Mac 6.0.2 with good performance.

So, no, I do NOT think that Evernote is in any way trying to move away from supporting ultraportables like MacBook Air.

Many users have reported it takes a while to reindex, and during that period performance may be subpar.

Thanks for the reply, that is good to hear, sort of. That means the problem lies with me. 

It's not totally unusable. I tried immediately after the 6.0 upgrade to uninstall Evernote (I deleted the App as well as a few folders, so it would resync from the server), but to no avail. I did not, however, follow the uninstall instructions to the letter. I see now that I was supposed to reboot, for example, and there may be more Evernote application support folders that I missed.

I'll hold on until the .1 and .2 updates come and see if that fixes the problem. Otherwise I'll try to do a more proper uninstall/reinstall. 

Did something change in 6.0.2 from 6.0.1? Since upgrading (in the hopes that the UI changes would get better) I've noticed a HUGE drop in performance. If I quite evernote and restart things go back to normal for a few minutes but then evernote slows to a crawl and things like tabbing lists and changing fonts takes way too long. I've had some version of evernote 6.0 on my computer for days so the reindexing of my notes should be finished by now. 

I really hope the performance gets fixed soon!

Edit: seriously even just moving the cursor with the arrow keys is slow enough to be annoying right now. This is on a 2013 Macbook Air with 8gb of ram and the upgraded processor. It was running fine on 6.0.1. 

• Level 5*

@Saturn, most likely your performance problem is due to reindexing of your notes.  Allow EN Mac to run for a few hours (at most a day) to complete the reindexing.  After a few hours, you may want to restart your Mac.

I now have EN Mac 6.0.2 running fine on two Macs, one with Mavericks, one with Yosemite.

@Saturn, most likely your performance problem is due to reindexing of your notes.  Allow EN Mac to run for a few hours (at most a day) to complete the reindexing.  After a few hours, you may want to restart your Mac.

I now have EN Mac 6.0.2 running fine on two Macs, one with Mavericks, one with Yosemite.

Thanks for the reply but actually reindexing wasn't the issue. For some reason having the text format window left open (the one that appears when you use the command-T shortcut) really slowed down evernote. I had left it open so I could easily continue changing fonts (to courier new for a programming class). Maybe this is a Yosemite issue but as long as I don't leave that window open for very long my performance went back to normal. 

• Level 5*

@Saturn:  Thanks for the info about the Mac Fonts Window (you called it "text format window") causing your slowdown.  I'm sure this will be helpful to others.

I don't know, but I'd guess it is more of an Evernote issue than a Mac issue.

BTW, did you know that you can close the Fonts window with CMD-T, the same that is used to open it?

Thanks for the reply but actually reindexing wasn't the issue. For some reason having the text format window left open (the one that appears when you use the command-T shortcut) really slowed down evernote. I had left it open so I could easily continue changing fonts (to courier new for a programming class). Maybe this is a Yosemite issue but as long as I don't leave that window open for very long my performance went back to normal. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is a huge issue that has persisted all the way through 6.0.3 thus far. Day after day, if I leave Evernote open while I work, which I would normally do, within an hour or so it's eaten all of my RAM, in addition to the sluggishness of the UI. This is on a late 2010 17" MBP with 8G RAM and a 2.66G i7.

By contrast, my 2012 13" Air, which is still running OSX 10.9, has had neither of these problems and has been running the same versions of Evernote.

I do not believe it is a reindexing issue. I have roughly 250 notes, nearly all of which are fairly short and all text. I don't have a bunch of attached pdfs or anything like that which would require a bunch of computational power to index. And of course, my wimpy like Air has no problem with the reindexing.

Some combination of Yosemite and Evernote is making the latter unusable for me. At this point, I'm going to have dump either my MBP or Evernote as a work tool.

I previously though that I had figured out why evernote was being sluggish. I am running 6.0.3 on Yosemite 10.10.1 on a 2013 Macbook Air (8gb of ram). I am still encountering times when evernote gets really sluggish. I usually leave this app open because I am constantly using it. I have to restart it occasionally so that there is no keyboard lag. This is NOT a note reindexing issue. Plenty of time has passed since upgrading to 6.0 and a check through activity monitor doesn't show abnormal CPU activity for evernote (as you might expect if an app were indexing) 

Evernote is extremely important to my work flow and I need it working properly again!

@Saturn:  Thanks for the info about the Mac Fonts Window (you called it "text format window") causing your slowdown.  I'm sure this will be helpful to others.

I don't know, but I'd guess it is more of an Evernote issue than a Mac issue.

BTW, did you know that you can close the Fonts window with CMD-T, the same that is used to open it?

Yes I had the fonts window open intensionally as I was trying to switch quickly between Arial (available in evernote) and Courier New (not available in evernote). I'm still seeing some slow downs after a prolonged period of having the app open with the font window closed however... My main issue is that sometimes there is a noticeable delay in keyboard input registering within the app.

• 2 years later...
On 11/28/2014 at 4:49 PM, JMichaelTX said:

This is the right guidance, I had to let E reindex for about 6+ hours, only major App open on my Mac connected to an Ethernet line, ... Now E Version 6.13.1 (455785 Direct) is running smoothly, Day4,

Thanks,

Archived