in-note search failed sometimes

evernoteuser2000

Idea

I found a serious bug of the latest mac version.

I wrote two lines in my evernote (one is copied from html and the other copied from rtf). The problems is that each word appeared in the second line (the rtf line) cannot be searched. I could send you the sample file if you leave me a email address. Please fit this problem. Otherwise my content becomes dead content stored in your software.

16 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

@evernoteuser2000:  Sorry, there are lots of users who need help.  I don't have time to deal with people asking for help that take an attitude with me.

I'm just a volunteer here, trying to help where I can.  Good luck.

Seems that you did not understand what I said. Well, if you insist on providing the information, please check out below, although I think I've already provided it to you in a more professional way.

Scott, I'm not sure what you are confirming, but in my test just now with EN Mac 6.0.2 and 5.5.2, both a Search and Find found the text in the 2nd line I pasted from a web site.

I downloaded the .enex file the OP attached to post 3, imported that file to Evernote, then attempted to search for the words in the second line of the imported note. 

The results were the same as the OP described. 

Did you actually try to reproduce the problem with the .enex file JMichael? 

@JMichael,

What you entered are the visible words. But this problem most probably lies in the invisible format. Anyway Thanks for your effort! I'll submit the bug using the link you provided. Thanks!

@evernoteuser2000:  I am unable to reproduce this issue in EN Mac 6.0.2 running on Yosemite.

I created a new doc in Word 2011 Mac, and entered two lines.  I added "bold" formatting to the second line.

I copy/pasted both lines into EN Mac.

Both Search and Find worked fine.  They found words in both lines.

I have been copying formatted text from Word to Evernote for years now, and I have never had a problem.

You refer to Word as "RTF", but native Word format is NOT RTF.  Are you saving your Word docs as RTF?

If so, then do a test copying from a Word doc in native *.doc or *.docx format.

Finally, it is best that you directly report your bug:

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

• Level 5*

@evernoteuser2000:  I am unable to reproduce this issue in EN Mac 6.0.2 running on Yosemite.

I created a new doc in Word 2011 Mac, and entered two lines.  I added "bold" formatting to the second line.

I copy/pasted both lines into EN Mac.

Both Search and Find worked fine.  They found words in both lines.

I have been copying formatted text from Word to Evernote for years now, and I have never had a problem.

You refer to Word as "RTF", but native Word format is NOT RTF.  Are you saving your Word docs as RTF?

If so, then do a test copying from a Word doc in native *.doc or *.docx format.

Finally, it is best that you directly report your bug:

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

@JMichael, I just test it again and pinpoint the root cause.

The problem is Evernote cannot not behave correctly with the format A below (but format B is no problem).

A: <div><span style="font: 12.0px 'Any Font'">word1 word2 </span></div> 

B: <div><span style="font: 12.0px; 'Any Font'">word1 word2 </span></div>

Note that the only difference between A and B is B has an additional semicolon( ;) between "font:12.0px" and "'Any Font'".

Please forward this message to the developers from Evernote directly. They should know the problem now.

Once again, I say this is a serious bug because it's not that only the occurrence of the "word1" and "word2" in the line cannot be serached, "word1"s and "word2"s appearing elsewhere in the same note (if any) cannot be searched!!

@evernoteuser2000:  OK, I'll try to help you, but you must be respectful and answer my questions.

How did you originally create the note that has the issue?

1. Was it a web clip?
  2. Was it manual typing
  3. Was it from another app, like Word?

If it was #1, please provide the web URL.

If it was #3, please provide a download link if you can, so I can see the actual document.

@evernoteuser2000:  OK, I'll try to help you, but you must be respectful and answer my questions.

1. Was it a web clip?
  2. Was it manual typing

If it was #3, please provide a download link if you can, so I can see the actual document.

1. No. The problem line was copied from a RTF file. (Comment: When RTF text is pasted in Evernote, I guess Evernote will do an automatic conversion to keep the format as far as possible.)

2. No. The words copied from RTF are all not searchable. But I think the problem is the format, not the words. Because if you enter some other words in the same line, they will become unsearchable too.

3. Yes, from Word. But I don't think it has anything to do with Word. Because after I have pasted the RTF text, it's already been converted to HTML format. It really has something to do the HTML format.

Thank you for your help!

• Level 5*

1. Was it a web clip?
  2. Was it manual typing

@evernoteuser2000:  Sorry, there are lots of users who need help.  I don't have time to deal with people asking for help that take an attitude with me.

I'm just a volunteer here, trying to help where I can.  Good luck.

Seems that you did not understand what I said. Well, if you insist on providing the information, please check out below, although I think I've already provided it to you in a more professional way.

@JMichael, Thanks for your voluntary work for us! I'm sorry I'm irritating this time because I am hurrying up for a deadline on Monday, and this bug (I would call it a serious bug as you can see I cannot get back the data I fed it) screws me up. I hope this bug could be fixed as soon as possible because otherwise other users will also suffer from it, that's why I spent nearly one hour yesterday narrowing down, pinpointing the bug and finally formalizing it in a minimal description that programmers would welcome, even when I was under pressure.

I supposed there should be Evernote employees here watching feedback from the users. I hope Evernote could do more instead of relying on voluteers to collect user feedback for them.

Well, let's see how you could help me with the following information:

1. My Mac OS version is 10.10.1 (14B25)

2. My Evernote version is 6.0.2 (451140 Direct)

3. The text that contains the words you are searching for: See content inside the brackets (not including the brackets)

{{

every word appearing in the second line cannot be searched search

word search problem
}}

4. My search text/express: either of these words: word, search, problem

Sorry, since you didn't provide the info I requested earlier, I really can't help you.

Good luck.

Scott, I'm not sure what you are confirming, but in my test just now with EN Mac 6.0.2 and 5.5.2, both a Search and Find found the text in the 2nd line I pasted from a web site.

download my evernote file and import it and you will find out.

• Level 5*

Sorry, since you didn't provide the info I requested earlier, I really can't help you.

Good luck.

download my evernote file and import it and you will find out.

I can confirm that Evernote does not find the words on the second line. 

It doesn't even find the words if you copy and re-paste them, copy and re-paste as plain text, or type the same words underneath. 

The only thing I can think of is

1) You brought over some hidden HTML baggage when copying the first line that is influencing the second

2) The second line, which you copied from an rtf file, is carrying some for of rotating baggage. 

3) Either 1 or 2 contain some little weird code underneath (html or rtf formatting) that has screwed up subsequent lines of text and made them uninterpretable. 

Very strange. If I reproduce the text you have there in a new note by manually typing it out, it has no problem. 

1. latest version

2. latest version

3. it has nothing to do with the text itself, but the formatting. as i mentioned, the second line was copied from rtf. i guess this is the problem.

4. and again. it's text-independent. any word on the second line cannot be searched.

see attachment please.

Can you please provide us with:

1. Mac OS version 
  2. Evernote version (Ver 6.0.2 just released)
  3. The text that contains the words you are searching for
  4. Your Search text/expression

test.enex.zip

Archived