Evernote Mac v6.0.2 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

Today we released Evernote Mac 6.0.2.  This release addresses a number of issues.
  1. Design update for Mavericks and older versions of Mac OS - The new Yosemite design didn’t work as well as we would have liked on older OSs.  We updated the look so that there are clearer more distinct sections between the key areas of Evernote - sidebar, note list and notes.
  2. Design update for Yosemite - Some of the text in card and snippet view were too light and hard to read.  We’ve updated this so it’s darker in both the labels and the body text.  On card view this only affects new notes and notes that are edited but will not go back and re-render all of the previous notes.  
  3. Searching PDF Fix - Fixed a bug where searching within a PDF didn’t work all of the time.
  4. Work Chat Contact List Fix - Improved the Work Chat contact drop down so that it works better with your contact list.
  5. Save to Contacts - Unfortunately this menu was lost.  It’s now added back so that users can save their business card notes to their Contacts.

You can download Evernote Mac 6.0.2 from here: https://evernote.com/download/

We know that there’s been a lot of change with Evernote Mac.  We've posted a few topics to focus discussion around specific areas of the product. 

Thanks for your feedback.  We do read every post and are working hard to make Evernote Mac better.

97 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

GM, I figured out what's causing the false edit detection.

See my updated post:  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/78123-evernote-mac-v602-released/?p=328805

No, I'm not sure.  I just thought I'd clutter this thread with a useless post.   ;)

Really GM, you're asking me this question???  I check and double-check everything.

If it was only 1 or 2 Notes, that would be one thing.  But after 6 Notes, . . .

Are you sure nothing has changed?

Yup - that's what I was referring to in the post just above your last one. Simply placing the cursor in the note field activates edit mode, and the "Modified" property is set.

That does not happen on v5.7.2.  And that's a problem if you have the snippets or list or whatever sorted into "By Modified Date".

BUG REPORT:  False Detection of Note Edit

Ver 6.0.2 on Mavericks

Evernote seems to be falsely, incorrectly, detecting that I have made an edit to my Note and has changed the Updated Date field, when in fact I have NOT made any changes.  This has now happened on about 6 Notes.  I never had this happen with Ver 5.5.2.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to identify steps to consistently reproduce this bug.  In the most recent case, it happened after I did a search, and the Note was at the top of the results list.  But when I try to reproduce this, I can't.  So, there must be something else in addition to, or instead of, just  a search.

Anyone else see this behavior?

Don't get yer knickers in a knot, JM :)

I do recall seeing somebody - but I can't recall which thread or who it was - saying that if they just put the cursor in the note field, thus automatically entering edit mode, but did nothing, it registered as having been modified, even though it hadn't.

My v5.7.2 doesn't do this.

• Level 5*

No, I'm not sure.  I just thought I'd clutter this thread with a useless post.   ;)

Really GM, you're asking me this question???  I check and double-check everything.

If it was only 1 or 2 Notes, that would be one thing.  But after 6 Notes, . . .

• Level 5*

Ver 6.0.2 on Mavericks

Evernote seems to be falsely, incorrectly, detecting that I have made an edit to my Note and has changed the Updated Date field, when in fact I have NOT made any changes.  This has now happened on about 6 Notes.  I never had this happen with Ver 5.5.2.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to identify steps to consistently reproduce this bug.  In the most recent case, it happened after I did a search, and the Note was at the top of the results list.  But when I try to reproduce this, I can't.  So, there must be something else in addition to, or instead of, just  a search.

• Level 5*

Ver 6.0.2 on Mavericks

EDIT:  OK, I've finally been able to reproduce it:

1. Execute a Saved Search (but probably any search)
  2. Click in the body of any Note in the search results
  3. Evernote immediately resets the Updated Date field

• Level 5*

There is no question the App Store Evernote 6.0 release is an unmitigated disaster, but the fact Evernote development is already up to 6.0.2 mere days after 6.0 hit the App Store would seem to indicate they are at least trying to fix the worst failures as rapidly as possible. Unfortunately, the App Store approval process is not noted for its responsiveness, which greatly slows getting fixes out to App Store customers so the delays cannot be entirely blamed on Evernote. The unpopular UI changes on the other hand should have been discovered in beta testing and apparently either was not reported by beta testers or the reports were ignored. That can be laid squarely on Evernote's door step. Given Evernote 6.0 was completely unusable by many customers the developers were quite correct in focusing on getting the product functional and moving the UI issues to the back burner temporarily. Hopefully this royal mess will prompt Evernote to step further back and re-examine their entire design, development, and testing process to prevent a recurrence of this mess. Evernote 6.0 should never have been released, in fact 6.0.2 appears to be the version that should have been the first public release. Hopefully Evernote has learned from this and it will never ever be repeated.

There wasn't a beta release with this UI.

As I've posted elsewhere, maybe we need v7 to be released fairly quickly, to jump over v6 altogether?

And v7 needs to have fully customizable themes, colours, layouts, TOOLBARS, icons (with colour), fonts, and did I mention TOOLBARS?

If they gave control of almost all of the UI customization to the user, then all complaints about it should simply disappear.  That would make the Evernote devs a much happier bunch than they ought to be right now.

It would also allow everyone to focus on functionality and problems with it.

Oh yes - and bring back the download progress bar, put Email Note back where it should be under the Share button (and allow it to have both a keyboard shortcut and also be placed as a button on the newly customizable toolbar).

Just doing a quick scan of comments across these forums, plus those left on the App store for the new version there, AND (despite what has been alleged) on Twitter, it would appear that v6 of Evernote is scoring about 95% against vs 5% for.  That's not a good record for a new major release version.

So - onwards and upwards to version 7, huh? Please?

There is no question the App Store Evernote 6.0 release is an unmitigated disaster, but the fact Evernote development is already up to 6.0.2 mere days after 6.0 hit the App Store would seem to indicate they are at least trying to fix the worst failures as rapidly as possible. Unfortunately, the App Store approval process is not noted for its responsiveness, which greatly slows getting fixes out to App Store customers so the delays cannot be entirely blamed on Evernote. The unpopular UI changes on the other hand should have been discovered in beta testing and apparently either was not reported by beta testers or the reports were ignored. That can be laid squarely on Evernote's door step. Given Evernote 6.0 was completely unusable by many customers the developers were quite correct in focusing on getting the product functional and moving the UI issues to the back burner temporarily. Hopefully this royal mess will prompt Evernote to step further back and re-examine their entire design, development, and testing process to prevent a recurrence of this mess. Evernote 6.0 should never have been released, in fact 6.0.2 appears to be the version that should have been the first public release. Hopefully Evernote has learned from this and it will never ever be repeated.

• Level 5*

Possible BUG:  Leaving the Mac Fonts Window open may cause Evernote slowdown

There have been numerous reports of poor performance of EN Mac 6+, so I wanted to share one possible cause, as reported by the below user:

@Saturn, most likely your performance problem is due to reindexing of your notes.  Allow EN Mac to run for a few hours (at most a day) to complete the reindexing.  After a few hours, you may want to restart your Mac.

I now have EN Mac 6.0.2 running fine on two Macs, one with Mavericks, one with Yosemite.

Thanks for the reply but actually reindexing wasn't the issue. For some reason having the text format window left open (the one that appears when you use the command-T shortcut) really slowed down evernote. I had left it open so I could easily continue changing fonts (to courier new for a programming class). Maybe this is a Yosemite issue but as long as I don't leave that window open for very long my performance went back to normal

See attached picture for how well Evernote listens to our complaints, especially when it won't even let us air them here...

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Evernote is pretty averse to censoring user complaints; you might have noticed that there have been a few of them via-a-vis the recent Mac v6 and the web beta releases. Yours is not anywhere near as harsh as others that have been allowed, right here in this topic, as well as others. I'm not quite sure why yours would have been caught in the spam filter. 

Maybe that post got caught up while the Evernote forum staff may be working on toughening up the spam filters to get rid of all this Indian spam rubbish that has been blighting the forums for the last little while?  Just a thought...

Not sure whats happening at Evernote. Have a look at reviews of the current version on iTunes. Hardly anyone likes the new visual design, and most of the reviews only give them 1 star - yet Evernote does absolutely nothing to fix it. And are bragging that the twitter response is "generally positive". Sure its positive - because Twitter links are from journalists who posted articles which are actually just a rewrite of Evernote's press release - these articles are not written by people who use Evernote.

Bizarre in this day and age that a software company is so disconnected from the users of its software - and is instead showing such arrogant disregard for their views. 

• Level 5*

See attached picture for how well Evernote listens to our complaints, especially when it won't even let us air them here...

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Evernote is pretty averse to censoring user complaints; you might have noticed that there have been a few of them via-a-vis the recent Mac v6 and the web beta releases. Yours is not anywhere near as harsh as others that have been allowed, right here in this topic, as well as others. I'm not quite sure why yours would have been caught in the spam filter. 

Thanks for the update. I use Mavericks and there is more contrast between sections. Easier on the eyes.

Just three comments (not all related to Mac version):

1. Add the horizontal line between title and content of the note or set titles in bold as standard.
  2. Please get back to green - Evernote Green is beautiful, just look at the iPad app. I really like to just look at it.
  3. Why is it impossible to add tables in iOs app?

Evernote for me is mostly features, features, features. Of course it was fun when Mac version was prettier than Windows... while it lasted.

Thanks for the update! I'm glad to see that Evernote is working fast to address customer concerns.

I just installed 6.0.2, and the spacing problem is still there. That's the one where pasted content loses its spacing, but only on the Mac version. iOS and Web look fine (even if it's created and looks bad on the Mac!).

It's described in detail with screenshots and a link to the .enex export here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/76732-evernote-60-block-element-spacing-lost/

It's basically made it difficult to read literally hundreds of notes that already exist.

Any chance we could get that looked at? It's a real deal-breaker for me, and will force me to downgrade to version 5.

Thanks!

Now show us how to remove the Work Chat button from the tool bar or how to share notebooks without using Work Chat!

Unfortunately, the toolbar is not customizeable and you cannot remove the share button.

To share your notes in other ways use the menu "Notes - More sharing" or something like that (using the german version).

I know there's no way to remove the toolbar button. I am poking fun at macfixer who seems to think that Work Chat is voluntary. It is not. Apparently sarcasm do not work on these forums.

I deliberately said "share notebooks". You can only do this by way of Work Chat. Also you're confusing collaborative sharing with non-collaborative sharing (public links and e-mail). No way to share a notebook or a note in the collaborative sense other than using  Work Chat.

Edited for clarity.

• Level 5

Now show us how to remove the Work Chat button from the tool bar or how to share notebooks without using Work Chat!

Unfortunately, the toolbar is not customizeable and you cannot remove the share button.

To share your notes in other ways use the menu "Notes - More sharing" or something like that (using the german version).

@Macfixer: That capability has been there for several versions - both the menu way of doing it as you show, but also simply right-click (Cmd-click) on any item already in the sidebar, and you have the option to "Remove from Sidebar".

Don't know if that right-click method is still present in v6....

I knew that — was posting for those complaining about the "ZOMG Work Chat BEING FORCED ON ME!!" crowd.

@Macfixer: That capability has been there for several versions - both the menu way of doing it as you show, but also simply right-click (Cmd-click) on any item already in the sidebar, and you have the option to "Remove from Sidebar".

I knew that — was posting for those complaining about the "ZOMG Work Chat BEING FORCED ON ME!!" crowd.

Sorry, Macfixer - I misunderstood. It sounded like you'd just discovered that method.  Apologies.

But while that will get rid of Chat from the Sidebar, there is still no way to remove the "New Chat" button from up on the Toolbar.  Right between the "New Note" button and the Search box.

I really wonder how many people would EVER use that button? And compare that number to those who would use a "Print" button, or an "Email Note" button.....   

But we can't change it because Evernote, in their wisdom, have decreed that we should not be allowed to customise the toolbar......

Regardless of how you feel about the new GUI at least 6.0.2 runs on Yosemite, does not lose note titles, loads quite rapidly, and is usable. The App Store 6.0 version is so slow as to be completely unusable. That release should never have made it past the alpha test stage, much less beta testing. 

Hey, 

I'm using Evernote on a 2014 Air and on a 2011 MacBook Pro. Since 6.0.1 the editing speed became extremely slow on both systems (both Yosemite). I barelly can use it. So frustrating. The editing, and text selecting is slow, but it gets worse with time, so sometimes I leave the note I'm using, I'm switchint to another note then back and this fixes the issue for a few minutes. 

Please do something with this issue, because editing is and text selecting and such are basic editor functinons, these has to work. 

I tried to turn off everything form grammar, to context and search, also tried to reboot, and restart, still the same. 

Please fix this, thank you in advance.

I agree with pretty much all the criticizms that have been voiced. So, hopefully what I say is new.

I have been a huge fan of Evernote since I first downloaded it a couple years ago. Some of it's ways are a little wonky, but I learned to figure it out. I use it for shopping, writing, traveling, research, personal projects and professional. I've used it to put together proposals, write letters, track recipes, concerts, even write a eulogy.  So, as you can imagine, I have very personal feelings about this product. It has been constant and reassuring and ever-present. On my desktop, laptop, phone.  I could open up the app or the webapp, see the greens and dark grays and feel somewhat assured. I was in Evernote and this place was as recognizable and comfortable to me as American Express or Adobe or Facebook.

So, it's somewhat baffling to me that you are seeking to abandon that brand recognition. And, furthermore, that you're willing to execute this transition so poorly.  I upgraded to 6.0 on the first day (then 6.0.2) and have found myself giving up. All sense of hierarchy is gone. The columns and rows all run together and look like a poorly aligned excel spreadsheet. Where once there was order, now there's noise.  Where I once opened up Evernote to jot notes and capture items, now I find myself hesitating, even returning to Notes or a txt or google docs.

You say that the design is the way all apps are going and "we had usability experts ok the design, you're wrong if you think things are less legible." These defenses make me feel like you're completely out of touch with your users or the way they're using your product. Thank you for throwing us a bone in 6.0.2 and changing the leftmost column from 97% white to 92%. Honestly it's an improvement. But did you really think that 97% white provides enough contrast for the average user in real environments? "But it's lightnening fast." Great. I'd be fine if your upgrades resulted in improved interactivity and functionality rather than solving issues I never had.

I'm not a premium user. Aside from any possible data mining, you make no money off of me. I don't expect unlimited functionality and customization. But I do expect that your upgrades should improve the functionality and usability of your product. That I can use your product the way you intend it to be used. That I can see the buttons I'm supposed to see and read the text, all text and not question what's where or what's what. So that I can continue to use it and promote it to my friends without caveats or exemptions. And if you're not going to do that, enable me to downgrade to a previous version.

I had been running the App Store version of 6.0 and got frustrated with missing note content and clobbered titles and having to restart my Mac to continue using EN. I read on the forum for version 6.0 and 6.0.1 that getting the direct-download version of 6.0.1 would solve the problem, Did the direct-download and got 6.0.2. Had to redownload my 5566 notes from the server --- not happy. The note content sometimes still doesn't show and the titles still get clobbered.

Thanks though for fixing the white, almost-white, and not-quite-so-white layout of the original 6.0. It's reasonable now with Mavericks.

One request. I use the Top List View, and with the Notebooks shown in the left column with the individual notebooks also shown, when I click on one of those notebooks, the Notes item in the sidebar still stays highlighted, not the particular notebook that I just clicked on.

Cross-posting at the suggestion of JMichael…

Recently updated to v6 and noticed that any links I'd put in notes to open a folder or launch an app on my local drive have stopped working. 

Now a link formatted like this… file:///Users/username/enclosing folder/targeted folder …opens the enclosing folder with the targeted folder selected, whereas previously it would open the targeted folder itself. The same is true if it's an app at the end of the path - I could previously launch apps from a link, now it just opens the Applications folder.

This is incredibly annoying and has broken a whole host of workflows I'd had set up — is it a bug or a deliberate change?

…please fix. :)

First, I am happy to see, that there is the option to make the formatting 'plain text'. If I could assign a shortcut that would be great.

Pasting plain text ist my #1 action. My #2 action is to assign headings like 'heading 1', etc.

Unfortunately, it seems that this is still not possible. To me, this seems strange, since it is such a basic text editing feature.

• Level 5

6.0.2 Extremely slow editing and typing on Yosemite. Awesome product right up until this last major upgrade, now it's junk.

I sure hope you guys are listening.

Reboot your Mac. This helped in many cases. It seems that only a few people are rebooting their Mac regularly. I just switched from Windows and there I shutdown my notebook daily. I still do this quite frequently and it helped in quite a number of software problems not just with Evernote!

There still seems to be an issue that prevents renaming PDF attachments (without doing a carriage return down from the note title). A new issue for this version seems to be that I can only drag and drop a PDF to outside of the app once before it won't work anymore (unless I quit out and re-open the app).

Never commented on one of these before, but the sheer awfulness of the new UI approach has compelled me to make the effort.

First, Evernote employees, I went through the thread for the initial v6.0 release and found your defensiveness abhorrent. Many, many users of your product told you in no uncertain terms that the new UI is more difficult to read because of too much brightness, loss of contrast, small list/preview fonts; and you have the gall to tell them, 'No, you're wrong--we had legibility experts (or whatever) consult for this latest version.' Are you kidding me? The defensiveness and lack of humility in your response to a huge number of aligned and unambiguous pieces of feedback alone makes me want to cancel my premium subscription. Your arrogance responding to feedback is pitiful.

Second, the 'improvements' in this updated version are minimal and frankly insulting. You've made the sidebar text a little darker and some lines more prevalent, also a background here and there a smiiidge more gray, but that's it. You have not increased the sidebar/note preview font sizes to make them easier to read; your app is still an over-bright, washed-out looking piece of amateurish junk that remains an immense step down from v5 and its iterations (which I have returned to, thank goodness). If you want to investigate a well-designed popular app that's focused on easy reading, check out Reeder. That is assuming, of course, that you're even willing to listen to several hundreds of viciously negative responses to the new, "improved" UI in the Mac App Store, and several ones here as well. I don't know what else to tell you -- anyone can see how much of a step down the new UI is. You don't have to be a legibility expert for your eyes to hurt even trying to read it now, compared to the v5 releases.

tl;dr:

• listen to your customers instead of arrogantly telling them they must be wrong because you hired legibility consultants or experts or whatever (clearly, you hired the wrong people)
  • even in v6.02, your app is still too bright, lacks contrast, and is hard to read for those reasons and because of small sidebar/note preview text sizes
  • you really released this thing? And called its design an "improvement"?!

As a UI designer...I can say the new look is not friendly to the eye and the overall look and feel is reminiscent of another industry leader with a lot more cash in hand to actually buy Evernote.

Microsoft. You may be seeing the beginnings of a take over...starting with this upgrade and UI....just a guess on my part.

Never commented on one of these before, but the sheer awfulness of the new UI approach has compelled me to make the effort.

First, Evernote employees, I went through the thread for the initial v6.0 release and found your defensiveness abhorrent. Many, many users of your product told you in no uncertain terms that the new UI is more difficult to read because of too much brightness, loss of contrast, small list/preview fonts; and you have the gall to tell them, 'No, you're wrong--we had legibility experts (or whatever) consult for this latest version.' Are you kidding me? The defensiveness and lack of humility in your response to a huge number of aligned and unambiguous pieces of feedback alone makes me want to cancel my premium subscription. Your arrogance responding to feedback is pitiful.

Second, the 'improvements' in this updated version are minimal and frankly insulting. You've made the sidebar text a little darker and some lines more prevalent, also a background here and there a smiiidge more gray, but that's it. You have not increased the sidebar/note preview font sizes to make them easier to read; your app is still an over-bright, washed-out looking piece of amateurish junk that remains an immense step down from v5 and its iterations (which I have returned to, thank goodness). If you want to investigate a well-designed popular app that's focused on easy reading, check out Reeder. That is assuming, of course, that you're even willing to listen to several hundreds of viciously negative responses to the new, "improved" UI in the Mac App Store, and several ones here as well. I don't know what else to tell you -- anyone can see how much of a step down the new UI is. You don't have to be a legibility expert for your eyes to hurt even trying to read it now, compared to the v5 releases.

tl;dr:

• listen to your customers instead of arrogantly telling them they must be wrong because you hired legibility consultants or experts or whatever (clearly, you hired the wrong people)
  • even in v6.02, your app is still too bright, lacks contrast, and is hard to read for those reasons and because of small sidebar/note preview text sizes
  • you really released this thing? And called its design an "improvement"?!
  • Level 5

Allow me to compare Evernote tables to OneNote tables, In OneNote adjusting the table behaves as one would expect. Both Evernote and OneNote have their own apps, so in my mind something needs fixing in Evernote tables.

Thank you for your reply and it is indeed a good idea to compare a feature in different applications and how this is done there. I just started OneNote on my Mac. I have an account also just for comparing features and I have to admit that the editing capabilities are better than Evernote's. I created a table there and indeed the table behaves in the Mac app as you requested.

Now I was curious how this would be translated to the Web version and I opened the same page in Chrome and there the same table behaves very strange especially when I try to reduce the width of the table or columns. Some columns seem to use relative width, some pixel based width. I don't know much about the internal format used by OneNote but in the browser they of course have to deal with the same limitations of HTML tables. I don't know yet what I prefer.

At this moment I (still) prefer Evernote. One important feature is the Web Clipper. The OneNote clipper is very poor and only creates a picture of a web page and not a textual representation. The Evernote Web Clipper is fantastic and has become better and better over the last years.

Regarding browsers, none of the Evernote users that I am familiar with run Evernote in their browser, the only time I do is when their app has an attitude. Also, in iOS I do run the Evernote app; do the same with OneNote as well.

Well, now you know one. I use the web app at my workplace because I work with Linux. Only at home I use the desktop version mainly for the reason to have a backup of the notes and for private notes. But the majority of my time I use the browser.

Again, thank you for adding input to my comment.

Cordially,

It is always nice to have a good exchange of opinions and learn how other people are thinking about Evernote and how they are using it. This is the reason why I spend time in this forum.

Best regards from Stuhr in Germany,

Bernd

Being as we are now discussing version 6.0.2 I am bring over the from the previous thread the table issue. It is unacceptable:

In version 6.0.2 Tables have peculiar behavior. Create a table, say four or more columns and a couple of rows. Adjust the columns width as desired. Now, pull the far right column right outside boarder to the left, notice the other columns are adjusting as well; not a good thing. My goal is to adjust that final column width, while the other columns widths to remain as I set them. Though these new tables are better than the previous table, this new one is frustrating as well.

I understand your point. The reason is that Evernote creates a table with overall and column-width settings in % like in this example extracted from the HTML or Enex export:

<table style="border-collapse: collapse; margin-left: 0px; table-layout: fixed;width:85.54216867469879%;">

<td style="border: 1px solid rgb(219, 219, 219); padding: 10px; margin: 0px;width:24.96798975672215%;">

This is in my view the easiest way for a wysiwyg html/enex editor to create a table that looks nice in the first place and that nicely adjusts to the window when you resize it. The alternative would be to create table columns based on pixels. You also have to keep in mind that the table should look nice not just in the Evernote client you are using but also in other clients and many different web browsers.

Again, I understand your point. I just want to provide some details why the Evernote table has this behavior and why it might not be easy sometimes to create a behavior that satisfies every user on every platform.

Hi Stuhrer, Thank you for your input much appreciated. Truly I understand your well stated comments.

Allow me to compare Evernote tables to OneNote tables, In OneNote adjusting the table behaves as one would expect. Both Evernote and OneNote have their own apps, so in my mind something needs fixing in Evernote tables.

Regarding browsers, none of the Evernote users that I am familiar with run Evernote in their browser, the only time I do is when their app has an attitude. Also, in iOS I do run the Evernote app; do the same with OneNote as well. 

Again, thank you for adding input to my comment.

Cordially,

@LuigiMoo:

If you just upgraded to Ver 6.0.2, then things may not be as bad as it appears.

Most likely all of your data is intact, and still on your local drive.

But this would be a good time to do a FULL backup of your Evernote folder.

I am running Ver 6.0.2 on Mavericks, and the Evernote folder is located at:

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/

After making the backup, you may need to just reinstall the app:

1. Move Evernote.app to the Trash
  2. Restart your Mac
  3. Download/install Ver 6.0.2 from the Evernote Direct D/L site posted at the top of this thread:  http://bit.ly/1FrG7FY
  4. After the install seems complete, restart your Mac again.

Let us know if you continue to have issues.

It seems this auto update completely broke my Evernote. It will not even launch. (got the dreaded generic Mac app icon too)

Can anyone tell me the steps to correct this? Is it possible to go back to the old version?

Can I also preserve my local Evernote data? (which is actually 90% of my Evernote data)

Hi JMichael!

Thanks for your kind, quick and helpful response.

I was a little confused about where the data was being stored.

I thought EN data was stored in the another folder in the "Application Support" directory, the one simply called, "Evernote".

But to my dismay... when I looked in there it was almost empty except for a folder titled, "quick-note"

That's why I felt sick to my stomach. I'm working off a macbook pro...and recently have been using my usual external backup drives, to move/backup data from some old computers to upgrade them.

For this reason, I haven't backed up my Evernote with time machine (or manually) in a while. I've done quite a bit of research and writing in the mean time and thought it was all lost!

(UGH! I know very dumb on my part.)

I didn't know that on Ver 6.0.2 on Mavericks, the Evernote folder is located at:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I do have data in there...I am just not sure what files are the actual DB files...just so that I will know for sure the data is there BEFORE I download a new version.

I see a folder in the "com.evernote.Evernote" folder titled "old" and see what appears to be old versions of the EN app and zipped files next to each version.

I am guessing these are backups too?? Made before the EN app is upgraded.

Does anyone know where the actual DB is stored. Are the zipped files in the "old" folder the database?

Just curious..I am afraid to make any moves until I know for sure I have data stored locally...that is still intact.

Thanks much!!!!

The paranoid EN user who (foolishly) didn't backup daily....

PS: I am NEVER going to let Evernote AUTOUPDATE again!!!!!!

• Level 5

Being as we are now discussing version 6.0.2 I am bring over the from the previous thread the table issue. It is unacceptable:

In version 6.0.2 Tables have peculiar behavior. Create a table, say four or more columns and a couple of rows. Adjust the columns width as desired. Now, pull the far right column right outside boarder to the left, notice the other columns are adjusting as well; not a good thing. My goal is to adjust that final column width, while the other columns widths to remain as I set them. Though these new tables are better than the previous table, this new one is frustrating as well.

I understand your point. The reason is that Evernote creates a table with overall and column-width settings in % like in this example extracted from the HTML or Enex export:

<table style="border-collapse: collapse; margin-left: 0px; table-layout: fixed;width:85.54216867469879%;">

<td style="border: 1px solid rgb(219, 219, 219); padding: 10px; margin: 0px;width:24.96798975672215%;">

This is in my view the easiest way for a wysiwyg html/enex editor to create a table that looks nice in the first place and that nicely adjusts to the window when you resize it. The alternative would be to create table columns based on pixels. You also have to keep in mind that the table should look nice not just in the Evernote client you are using but also in other clients and many different web browsers.

Again, I understand your point. I just want to provide some details why the Evernote table has this behavior and why it might not be easy sometimes to create a behavior that satisfies every user on every platform.

I don't care how Evernote looks, the problem with 6.x, including the 6.0.2 update, is that it is completely unusable. Sluggish, choppy, erratic, poor syncing, etc. In my opinion, this is the worst version of Evernote yet.

I have submitted multiple bug reports / support requests with details, including videos, demonstrating the issues. To date, all I have received are canned responses that state "we've been bombarded with emails, try our latest version."

How does a person migrate from Evernote to OneNote?

Hi ybakos,

My Evernote notes are now all migrated to OneNote. Yes, it is a manual process and it took a while. The good news is I was able to delete many out of date, irrelevant, and unused notes from Evernote that I kept for many years. Wow that pared down my notes a ton. 

With my migration to OneNote I rethought my storage of notes and files. Evernote was used as my backup for all my files, scans, as well as web clippings and notes. All my files, receipt scans and the like are now in a cloud storage easily accessible and readable from my MBR and iPhone. My notes, and web clippings are in both OneNote, and Evernote, same files in each service thus I can better evaluate these systems. Evernote clipper is better than OneNote.

Though for many years I was a Premium Evernote user, at present using both Evernote and OneNote I cannot see me again paying Evernote. No, I am not denouncing Evernote, however for me it was time for a change thus OneNote works well for me. YMMV.

• Level 5*

Ver 6.0.2 on Mavericks

Don't get yer knickers in a knot, JM :)

I do recall seeing somebody - but I can't recall which thread or who it was - saying that if they just put the cursor in the note field, thus automatically entering edit mode, but did nothing, it registered as having been modified, even though it hadn't.

My v5.7.2 doesn't do this.

Apparently, my comment could be read as a challenge to JM. It was not, it was an oblique reference to the kinds of reports that NightStalker so kindly mentioned. My unstated, but implied point was that maybe something was being changed, but JM just didn't know about it (perhaps a title losing spaces, or something of the like that we have seen). I was not trying to imply that JM was incapable of telling whether he had edited a note or that he was unable to understand the interface. I am sure it is a bug.

• Level 5*

@LuigiMoo:

If you just upgraded to Ver 6.0.2, then things may not be as bad as it appears.

Most likely all of your data is intact, and still on your local drive.

But this would be a good time to do a FULL backup of your Evernote folder.

I am running Ver 6.0.2 on Mavericks, and the Evernote folder is located at:

After making the backup, you may need to just reinstall the app:

1. Move Evernote.app to the Trash
  2. Restart your Mac
  3. Download/install Ver 6.0.2 from the Evernote Direct D/L site posted at the top of this thread:  http://bit.ly/1FrG7FY
  4. After the install seems complete, restart your Mac again.

Let us know if you continue to have issues.

It seems this auto update completely broke my Evernote. It will not even launch. (got the dreaded generic Mac app icon too)

Can anyone tell me the steps to correct this? Is it possible to go back to the old version?

Can I also preserve my local Evernote data? (which is actually 90% of my Evernote data)

Hello!

Sorry to jump in...

This is my first time posting...and I don't know where to post this...but I see you guys are talking about bugs in 6.0.2 on Mavericks.

Unfortunately, my Evernote was set to auto update.

I am starting to feel sick to my stomach...HELP!

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  Order of Notes in List Does NOT Change After Updated Date is Changed

Ver 6.0.2 on Mavericks

When the Updated Date in the Note Info window is changed, the current Note list being displayed is NOT reordered to reflect the change, even though the Note list is sorted by Date Updated, Most Recent first, and Note Relevance is UNCHECKED.

Because of another BUG, False Detection of Edit, several of my Notes had their Date Updated field incorrectly changed.

So, as I was correcting this by changing the Date Updated in the Note Info window, I noticed the order of the Note was NOT being reordered as it should have been, and as it does in Ver 5.5.2.

EDIT:  If the Search is cleared, and then re-executed, then the Note list is shown in the correct order.

• Level 5*

As I reported in my original post, it also does not happen in Ver 5.5.2, which I have been using for a long time.

That's how I know it is not something I am accidentally typing in the affected Note.

That does not happen on v5.7.2.  And that's a problem if you have the snippets or list or whatever sorted into "By Modified Date".

• I really like the much larger Title block, but would prefer that you do something to separate it from the body text. A thin, but not too thin, box around the Title would do nicely.  I would actually prefer that the Title did NOT scroll.

This prompts me to share a few observations about the standalone note window in comparison with 5.5.1: https://www.evernote.com/l/AeZUG256SJ5IfITSm0hlDl82ao6oAWI6T_A

• When I open a Note in its own window, the Title is selected, which is NOT good.  If I accidently hit any key then the whole Title is replaced.  IMO, when a Note is selected, or opened in its own window, the cursor should be placed at the top of the Note Body, with NOTHING selected.

True. But Evernote always did this, if memory serves. At least, it did in 5.5.1.

Well, in defense of that sentiment about waiting around until people stop complaining, it worked for version 5! Here is a thread (one of many) complaining about version 5 when it came out. Yet, on this forum, we have lots of people who "love" version 5. Go figure.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/31553-think-very-carefully-before-upgrading-to-50-its-a-poorer-experience/

Of course, there are still some who wish they could go back to version 3. LOL. But, in general, there is something to that idea of waiting until people learn to like it, you know. I'm not terribly keen on the new interface myself, and I wasn't terribly keen on version 5 either, but I will say that Evernote has probably not caused any long-term physical harm to anyone: people's retina's are probably not burning right now and there are not as many cases of app-induced vomiting as we have seen reported :)

No it didn't - Version 5 was a UI and UX disaster and even in the latest 5.x version, it hasn't changed. While i respect the fact that Evernote has every right to do what they want with their product, I can't feel that they constantly ignore a lot of the very valid complaints and constantly refuse to resolve some of the very real problems that the product has.

To this day, I'm still using Evernote 3 and while it isn't perfect it doesn't have the horrible bad UI and UX problems of version 5. I'm hoping version 6 has some vast improvements but judging by the amount of posts in the forum as well as the absolutely horrible feedback in the appstore, it seems it might just have gotten worse.

Evernote is a huge part of my daily life and my work and when Evernote decides to drastically lower the quality of the product just to add a "fancy" interface, then thats a big problem. To be honest I don't really care whether the interface is dark grey, white or anything in between, but I care deeply about removing features, making features more complicated to reach and an interface filled with UI/UX 101 errors such as not highlighting the selected notebook etc.

It's about time that some of the Evernote "arrogance" is put aside and some more effort is put into listening to the actual paying customers - We just wan't a good effective product! A nice design is very welcome but not when it ruins the UX.

Good work, JM - thanks for the screenshot.

Sheesh - have they mucked about with the forum software too - what I'm typing right now is appearing in my edit box as light grey on a white background! I really hope they haven't done it to the forum as well.

That screenshot looks a bit better than before, but the icons at top right have looked grey-out (as in, inactive) since v5.7.2 at least. That's the version I'm using, and they're like that.  I hate it.

And as you correctly point out, there is still no differentiation between the note title and the note content.  And that bug whereby the cursor starts in the title, with the title selected, is a BAD one!

Why, in this world of wonderful colours, is everyone trying to impose this drab environment of shades of grey all over us?  How depressing.

What is WRONG with some colour?

Even Apple's own apps, like Pages etc, not to mention 3rd party apps such as Curio, have all been updated to work with Yosemite, and they all have some colour.  Curio, in particular, looks outstanding, and has its own character. And virtually everything in it is customizable.

• Level 5*

So everyone can see what Ver 6.0.2 looks like running Mavericks, I'm posting this screen shot, which is full screen (except for Mac menu).  No EN green to be found anywhere.  One good place for green is a very light green as background of the Sidebar.  As I mentioned earlier, I really don't like the icons/buttons.  They are very hard to distinguish/identify, and all appear as if they are disabled.

EN-Mac-602-Mav.gif

Is there any , you know - er, (hushed whisper) .... Green?

Or is it still grey on grey on white, but just slightly different shades of grey?

I'm still not upgrading.  I'll rely on reports from you and others on here, but I'm quite happy sticking with v5 for as long as possible.

It still looks the same to me. I just need to wear shades before using the app, do what I need to do quickly, then get out. Save my vision for when this whole "let's blind the user" trend blows over.

Is there any , you know - er, (hushed whisper) .... Green?

Or is it still grey on grey on white, but just slightly different shades of grey?

I'm still not upgrading.  I'll rely on reports from you and others on here, but I'm quite happy sticking with v5 for as long as possible.

• Level 5*

Have you upgraded and tried this new version, Ver 6.0.2?  What Mac OS version are you running?

If not, I recommend you give it a try.  I was running Ver 5.5.2 and just upgraded.  See my comments above.

This version is really not pleasant to use.

I'm trying to run the older version and it's telling me that my EN data is managed by a newer version even though I have deleted version 6.

How can I bypass this?, I just want to run Evernote 5 until you guys fix this UI situation.

This version is really not pleasant to use.

I'm trying to run the older version and it's telling me that my EN data is managed by a newer version even though I have deleted version 6.

How can I bypass this?, I just want to run Evernote 5 until you guys fix this UI situation.

First impressions on Mavericks:  VERY GOOD!

My only complaints so far (and nothing major):

1. The font size in both list views (top and side) are a bit small, but I think the same as in Ver 5.5.2.
  2. I really like the much larger Title block, but would prefer that you do something to separate it from the body text. A thin, but not too thin, box around the Title would do nicely.  I would actually prefer that the Title did NOT scroll.
  3. When I open a Note in its own window, the Title is selected, which is NOT good.  If I accidently hit any key then the whole Title is replaced.  IMO, when a Note is selected, or opened in its own window, the cursor should be placed at the top of the Note Body, with NOTHING selected.
  4. All of the icons are drawn with too thin a stroke, and too light grey.  Regardless of what Apple does or does not do, having more distinct, color-code icons makes the usability much better.

I only hope the readability on Yosemite is as good.  Maybe I'll get up the courage soon to upgrade my MBA to Yosemite, just so I can test Evernote.

I can confirm JM's observations working with Yosemite. And feel beholden to strongly add my voice to his complaints, particularly 2, 3 and 4.

These are major shortcomings.

2. A quiet separator for the Title would indeed be preferable.

3. Automatic Title selection when opening a note is a bad choice. The cursor should be in the body of the note.

4. The formatting icons are way too faint, requiring the tooltips to be able to recognise them.

Thanks, meanwhile, for at least increasing the contrast for text in Snippet view. Slowly sanity seems to be returning.

I would also like to see restored contrast for the note background.

At the moment we have this new strange amalgam of faded icons and albino backgrounds. Not a happy experience overall.

1. Design update for Yosemite - Some of the text in card and snippet view were too light and hard to read.  We’ve updated this so it’s darker in both the labels and the body text.  On card view this only affects new notes and notes that are edited but will not go back and re-render all of the previous notes.  

Thank you, but whereas somebody complained about low contrast in text, almost everybody has complained about the fact that there is no contrast, no differentiation between at least the three main areas of the program (real accessibility issue), and it's still a faceless sea of grey...

• Level 5*

I agree the sidebar font is a bit small, but readable.  I too would prefer it to be 1-2 pts larger (or better yet, set in Preferences).

But wordwrap is working fine for me in most cases.  There are a few web sites that do strange things that even in Ver 5.5.2 didn't wrap properly.

Tip:  If a clipped web page is really messed up, try Format > Simplify Formatting.  This often works wonders for me.

The sidebar font is far too small, and can't be adjusted. Text wrapping bug is still there. I'm reverting to 5.6.2 which is apparently the last time text wrapped correctly. Wow, EN is really on a roll!

The sidebar font is too small, and can't be adjusted. Actually, it may be the same size, but the lack of contrast makes it difficult to read. The text wrapping bug is still there. I'm personally reverting to 5.6.2 which is apparently the last time text wrapped correctly. Yes, I just installed 5.6.2 and indeed text wrapping actually works correctly. Think I'll stick with that version for the foreseeable future, since recent releases seem to bug ridden. I don't understand why features like chat are being added when basic things like text wrap don't work correctly. Regression testing would be a good idea. Obviously if old bugs turn up again in an update then tests are not catching things that should be caught. I've seen this with reachability issues. Support staff claims that the app's reachability is not broken when from one version to the next the same bug crops up or is fixed. Text wrapping is another regression bug that's incredibly serious for a text application and has remained unfixed since > 5.6.2. This is not good.

• Level 5*

Marcus, thanks for the update.

Just for you, I have upgraded one of my older MBAs to Mavericks, and to EN Mac 6.0.2, so I can test on Mavericks.

First impressions on Mavericks:  VERY GOOD!

1. All views I have tested appear very readable on my MBA 13-in screen (NOT retina).
  2. The Notebook and Tag views are much improved over Ver 5.5.2
  3. Saw the popup immediately after update install that it might take some time for reindexing -- excellent notice
  4. The Snippet view is much improved over Ver 6.0.1
  5. The update went very fast, 15-20 minutes, but I can't tell if reindexing is still active.  Is there a way I can tell?

My only complaints so far (and nothing major):

1. The font size in both list views (top and side) are a bit small, but I think the same as in Ver 5.5.2.
  2. I really like the much larger Title block, but would prefer that you do something to separate it from the body text. A thin, but not too thin, box around the Title would do nicely.  I would actually prefer that the Title did NOT scroll.
  3. When I open a Note in its own window, the Title is selected, which is NOT good.  If I accidently hit any key then the whole Title is replaced.  IMO, when a Note is selected, or opened in its own window, the cursor should be placed at the top of the Note Body, with NOTHING selected.
  4. All of the icons are drawn with too thin a stroke, and too light grey.  Regardless of what Apple does or does not do, having more distinct, color-code icons makes the usability much better.

I only hope the readability on Yosemite is as good.  Maybe I'll get up the courage soon to upgrade my MBA to Yosemite, just so I can test Evernote.

Today we released Evernote Mac 6.0.2.  This release addresses a number of issues.
  1. Design update for Mavericks and older versions of Mac OS - The new Yosemite design didn’t work as well as we would have liked on older OSs.  We updated the look so that there are clearer more distinct sections between the key areas of Evernote - sidebar, note list and notes.

I'm rather late to the evernote party, even though I've had the app for a year and a half—I jumped in big time about 6 months ago. Then turned it up an extra notch with a GTD 'overhaul' which for about two weeks now has quite honestly revolutionized my workflow. 

In the last three weeks however my head has been spinning with updates, changes, blank notes, beta web, apple store issues, no download it from EN...glad to say everything is stable now. But I fear making this minor update (using 6.0.1 right now). Because if it resembes the web beta—that's just not usable for me. It's the ability to have 'expanded' tag lists on the left, drag and drop (over tags) note in a list in the centre and the selected note on the right that I can't do without. 

I use them but I'm not even in love with the mobile versions - as this functionality disappears there too. But my laptop is where I organize my time for the most part so the others are more slaves than anything else.

Can anyone confirm or deny? Has the UE changed? Thanks!

:))) May as well take it as a joke - they certainly are...

To make real changes and take account of all the complaints - would be akin to them admiting they are not good at doing their job. So this new interface will be forced on us in the hope, that people will just get tired of complaining in time. The excuse they will use of course is - people are always resistant to change...

Well, in defense of that sentiment about waiting around until people stop complaining, it worked for version 5! Here is a thread (one of many) complaining about version 5 when it came out. Yet, on this forum, we have lots of people who "love" version 5. Go figure.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/31553-think-very-carefully-before-upgrading-to-50-its-a-poorer-experience/

Of course, there are still some who wish they could go back to version 3. LOL. But, in general, there is something to that idea of waiting until people learn to like it, you know. I'm not terribly keen on the new interface myself, and I wasn't terribly keen on version 5 either, but I will say that Evernote has probably not caused any long-term physical harm to anyone: people's retina's are probably not burning right now and there are not as many cases of app-induced vomiting as we have seen reported :)

I took a quick look at the thread, and saw most complaints are about functionalities and layouts and how they had become less convenient than before. Some comments even mentioned how the new UI was aesthetically pleasing but inconvenient for power users.

In contrast, the complaints about 6.0 are much less about convenience. Most people find it UNUSABLE based on the most fundamental user experience: looking.

While I appreciate confidence of the devs in what they are doing, there are times I cannot help but be a little surprised. For example, the infamous #3 from SoftwareMarcus's other post, "Thee bottom line is if you don't like Yosemite you are not going to like the new Evernote Mac design." I don't know. I guess I kind of like the confidence they have that they hold their first attempt at a new UI on the level of "Yosemite golden standards."

• Level 5*

To make real changes and take account of all the complaints - would be akin to them admiting they are not good at doing their job. So this new interface will be forced on us in the hope, that people will just get tired of complaining in time. The excuse they will use of course is - people are always resistant to change...

Thanks for reading the hundreds and hundreds of posts all saying the same thing - and listening to your customers. But these changes are a bit too drastic! Too much color for my liking. Could you please emphasise the white color a bit more?

I really, REALLY hope that is pure sarcasm...?? ;)

Thanks for reading the hundreds and hundreds of posts all saying the same thing - and listening to your customers. But these changes are a bit too drastic! Too much color for my liking. Could you please emphasise the white color a bit more? And if possible, add some grey fonts? Glad to see you are spending lots of time focusing on the work chat - a very useful function to pass the time for Evernote employees.

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  Option to "Copy Classic Note Link" is missing

Prior to Ver 6, you could click on the Note menu, then hold down the OPTION key, and it would show an item labeled "Copy Classic Note Link".

Then, in Ver 6, you had to hold down the OPTION key, then click on the Note menu.

Now, neither way works.  And, If you hold down the OPTION key an click on the Note menu, the "Copy Note Link" disappears as well.

@Marcus:  why do you guys make it so hard for us to do the things we need to do many times a day?   :angry: 

1. Hide the "email" option
  2. Change the default to global Note Link, and hide the "Copy Classic Note Link"

Why would you go to the extra programming effort to make these changes?  

Why not just leave the default to be Classic link, and the ADD another option to "Copy Global Note Link" ???

Really, is this intentional, or just lack of insight as to how your users really use the app?

Right-click>Remove from sidebar is still present in v.6

This looks bad - any ideas. That analogy of all my eggs in a blender. Rebooted my MBP r13 after updating to 6.0.2 and cannot access any notes. All of my notebook titles have been replaced with numbers. After about 10s of looking this, EN crashes. I have sent the crash report in.

Screen%20Shot%202014-11-28%20at%2016.10.

BUG REPORT: Option to "Copy Classic Note Link" is missing

Hold the option key before right clicking and you'll see the Copy Classic Note Link. The note menu never worked even in 5.5.

Of course (sorry, couldn't resist ;) ) - if we had a fully customizable toolbar, those who use that function could simply put a button on the toolbar to do it.  (cough, cough)... :ph34r:

• Level 5*

Decryption of text in older (preexisting) notes is working properly for me in Ver 6.0.2 running in Mavericks.

I just upgraded from Ver 5.5.2 to Ver 6.0.2, so I don't know if the upgrade path makes a difference, or if running on Yosemite makes a difference.

6.0.2 for Mac does NOT solve the problem of being unable to read older encrypted notes. Entering password causes note to show as blank. Thankfully this version has solved the problem of notes being retitled as Untitled Notes: yipee (irony) !
Issue on Various office Macs all newest Yosemite version. Notes created by other shared Notebook user using Windows version.

6.0.2 for Mac does NOT solve the problem of being unable to read older encrypted notes. Entering password causes note to show as blank. Thankfully this version has solved the problem of notes being retitled as Untitled Notes: yipee (irony) !

Issue on Various office Macs all newest Yosemite version. Notes created by other shared Notebook user using Windows version.

I have just updated to 6.0.2 version and I'm not facing slow typing anymore! This is great! Great effort, guys!  ;)

I made a post here in this forum about the bad experience on typing I was facing in 6.0.1, so I think it`s fair come here again and give you guys this good feedback! 

Thank you!

• Level 5*

did you company test the version before release? I lost my important notes.

Then you should definitely Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "Data Lost:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

I think it is all symptomatic of software companies, both for OS and for apps, all feeling this pressure to "update" all the time, mostly for the sake of it. But there is nothing wrong with getting the basic app to work perfectly through refinement, and then - and ONLY then - adding the occasional new feature (WITHOUT removing features that are already there and that work just fine).

I hear you NightStalker.

You know what I hate about change? It breaks 'good' habits and need to create brand new ones that were never necessary.

I think what's happening (let me bring out my tinfoil first) is that it's either a unfortunate/happy accident on Evernote's part or (worse) deliberate is these shifts in user experience hides the fact that they haven't made real meaningful change in their actual UX. And if deliberate, I think it's similar to how Mac OS didn't have auto correct for spelling for so long due to patents etc. (I can't remember now...)

Could it be that simple things like adding a proper color picker or better formatting features are not added due to licensing?

Why else (certainly/hopefully better reasons then above) would they be so hard up on Market Place, or Chat, or "better search". If you read all the improvements Evernote has made to their software over the last few versions, it's all been outside of the scope of what it does. 

I'm sure it's not licensing etc. But if it's not 'out of there control' that they are making such deliberate mistakes, then does it mean the "real" reason is even worse? Not enough money? Chat seems to be a shot in the dark. Market is definitely a shot in the void. Moleskine books??? I mean, seriously, why would I want an Evernote Moleskine book when I sync it on my phone and computer. I want to physically write my notes?

LOL :-)

You know what I love about change? I forget things have changed after a few months/years...

I disliked the look of OS X when it came out. Remember the shift? Copland was so much better :-) And we lost extensions!

Or Mac OS 7 - remember that extension that helped us make it look more like Next etc.?

Change I really hate today (Specifically right this moment) - Google Maps/MapsEngine/Lite/whatever is messing up how to embed maps and they got rid of their Javascript tools. This stuff changes workflow. Hate change. Just hate it.  (oh cool, you can add custom icons in Google Mapsengine now, I like that change...) LOL

I don't care how Evernote looks, the problem with 6.x, including the 6.0.2 update, is that it is completely unusable. Sluggish, choppy, erratic, poor syncing, etc. In my opinion, this is the worst version of Evernote yet.

I have submitted multiple bug reports / support requests with details, including videos, demonstrating the issues. To date, all I have received are canned responses that state "we've been bombarded with emails, try our latest version."

How does a person migrate from Evernote to OneNote?

Please forgive this cross-post, but I think the other post was in the wrong place - it should be here.  And it is relevant to XMG's post above:

@XMG: Great work on that mockup above, based on JMichaels' screenshot, and incorporating fixes for many of the complaints. It is a distinct improvement.

Personally (and I stress that it is my own personal preference) I'd be happy if the far left sidebar reverted to dark grey with inverted (pale grey or white) text the way it has been in the past. Even put some (gulp) GREEN in there somewhere..!

One comment from a couple of people that I don't understand, is when they say the previous design looks "dated" - what exactly does that mean? If it looked good before, then it still looks good.  Or are those posters the type of folks who have to paint their house in different colours every couple of years?

We had a fairly significant change in UI with v5, but we've got used to that now. But v6 is too many steps too far, and removes all traces of Evernote identity. Now a couple of people have said that's a "good" thing.  I'd disagree.

Blindly following the current trend to being cool, and heading for complete and utter blandness by removing colour, demarcation lines, highlighting of selections, etc etc, in my own 'umble opinion, is a BAD thing.

Which is why I'm staying with v5.  And having tried Yosemite on a "spare" iMac, and hating it, I've reverted that one to Mavericks, which is where all my Macs will be staying.

As I've posted elsewhere, I hated the bland, flat, "nothing" look of Yosemite, I hate translucency (yes, I know it can be turned off), and it has no character. But above all else - it is badly broken for those who use Apple Mail. That app is my email mainstay for multiple accounts, including my work Exchange account.  And the Yosemite Mail app has all sorts of problems playing nicely with Exchange, the Address Panel has gone, there is no way to select multiple email addresses from a list (they have to be added one at a time), etc. Also, WiFi is still badly busted in Yosemite, even after the .0.1 update which was supposed to fix it.  It didn't.

The point of the last paragraph is that Yosemite is not ready for prime time yet, and if they don't change Mail back to the way it was, it may never be for many. And Evernote has blindly followed it into "coolness" - but got it so badly wrong. Especially for those who are on Mavericks or earlier. Interestingly, at the University where I teach (I teach in the Faculty of Medicine), which is a VERY large Uni, our IT department has issued a warning NOT to upgrade to Yosemite, and they are busy reverting all those who did jump early, using Time Machine or SuperDuper clones (which we all use). The same thing applies to Windows, by the way - by decree from the IT dept, everyone must be on Windows 7 or XP. Windows 8 or higher is banned and blocked. 

I think it is all symptomatic of software companies, both for OS and for apps, all feeling this pressure to "update" all the time, mostly for the sake of it. But there is nothing wrong with getting the basic app to work perfectly through refinement, and then - and ONLY then - adding the occasional new feature (WITHOUT removing features that are already there and that work just fine).

Adobe Photoshop springs to mind - I've been using it since v2.  Yes it has evolved over time, but the differences between versions are small, the look and feel really hasn't changed (does that make it look "dated"??), but it works flawlessly.  It has to. And new features, like the Smart Healing Brush, are introduced only after everything else is working perfectly.  And they did NOT remove the old Spot Healing tool or the Clone tool - two other ways of achieving a similar result but more fiddly. They remain to this day, and many people still prefer to use them.

If Evernote were to take a leaf out of Adobe's book (and I am NO Adobe lover, believe me), then it should be that perfecting the base, and slowly building ON it rather than replacing it, should be the way forward.

I agree the sidebar font is a bit small, but readable.  I too would prefer it to be 1-2 pts larger (or better yet, set in Preferences).

But wordwrap is working fine for me in most cases.  There are a few web sites that do strange things that even in Ver 5.5.2 didn't wrap properly.

Tip:  If a clipped web page is really messed up, try Format > Simplify Formatting.  This often works wonders for me.

The sidebar font is far too small, and can't be adjusted. Text wrapping bug is still there. I'm reverting to 5.6.2 which is apparently the last time text wrapped correctly. Wow, EN is really on a roll!

Simplifying format 1) doesn't always work, and 2) I want the formatting! To me, it's a show stopping bug. I had to revert to 5.6.2 which is the last time wrapping worked correctly. But thanx for the suggestion.

One might well give some thanks to the Evernote team for apparently reading and acting upon the hundreds of comments in this forum, bearing in mind that statstically speaking, for every one (1) person who posts a comment there are approximately nine (9) others who don't bother to post, but have the same complaint.

Now, addressing the update.

Close, like in horseshoes, but no cigar.  I have to question the competency of the developers.  Are they actual software engineers, or skilled programmers, or simply hackers sitting around at night, high on Jolt cola, writing undocumented code in their pajamas?

If the answer is the latter, then Evernote needs to refund each and every dollar they've collected from the Premium users, because we expected a professionally developed application.

If the Evernote developers do consider themselves to be one of the former, then as a fellow software engineer, here's some assistance:

Goto Amazon.com, buy'em, read'em.  Then back to us with an update that follows the rules and works for everyone.  (Should be easy to remember the titles; they're all the same.)

But please don't announce these half-assed fixes with great fanfare as if they're the second coming...especially when they fail to deliver.

OK, here is a comparison of EN Mac 6.0.2 with EN Mac 5.5.2, both running on MAVERICKS on a MBA-13.

Compare-EN602-EN522.gif

Thanks for posting that! It is great to see the side-by-side. While I am not in love with either of the designs, I don't see one being fundamentally worse than the other. Just traded different pros with different cons to sum zero. Brightness is obviously an issue for some people, but this is not something that bothers me. 

I still stand by my earlier complaint that the absence of a horizontal line under the title of a note in the note editor is a bit disorienting. I think that really should be changed. 

I was just thinking similar thought reading over some of the reactions to the new interface: 2 years ago we were also screaming and squealing over a new interface. And the only changes we've gotten is more buttons to accompany new gimmicky features. It is no big deal to Evernote if less than gruntled users leave by the tens of thousands, it's just a waiting game.

Archived