(Archived) REQUEST: Tags column like in Windows client

themoules

Idea

Another great podcast, thanks.

In it you spoke about further work being done to make the windows & mac versions visually the same.

If this is the case can you please let us know when you will add a Tags column to list view as per the windows client.

This makes it so easy to quickly scan down a list when doing work on Tag organisation etc.

It has been mentioned before but no comment came back from Dave & Company as far as I am aware.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=11089&p=44333&hilit=list+view+tags#p44333

27 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the forum!

You can already sort by created date in the Mac, and you can change the created date by clicking on the "i" icon in the top right. I like how Windows handles this with the ability to toggle all of the information on for every note and just edit directly. Mac used to have this, and I think it would be better if they brought it back to the client. I am guessing that they have opted on the Mac client for a streamlined default view and fewer options like the toggle in order to avoid confusion and unnecessary complexity.

After spending a few days shuttling between different devices, I have come to appreciate more and more how nicely done the Mac client is. I would still like to see a list view like Windows has now, and this toggling of metadata (basically, a more information-rich environment option), but I think the app is a lot easier to introduce to new users than it used to be and looks better, so that is certainly something in its favor.

This is sorely needed. I love evernote but not being able to organize by tags using a column and the way the list of notes is displayed in comparison to the web or WIN client makes it almost unusable for true organization of tasks. I eagerly hope this comes to the Mac soon.

Just replying to add my support for this feature as well. I'm also using TSW and use a PC at work and a Mac at home - this is by far the most frustrating part of the process.

I'm otherwise a HUGE fan of Evernote (Premium Account holder) and am eager to evangelize it to others as an ideal app for task management (in addition to all of it's other features), but without this functionality on Mac, it cripples its appeal.

Thanks in advance for heeding our requests!

-Charley-

I sympathize with the perfectionistic tendencies -- to want to implement a pristine piece of functionality that no one can find fault with.

However, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Implement it -- for now -- as it is in the Windows client.

The lack of this feature is making me seriously consider other products.

I agree 100%. I recently switched from a PC to a Mac, and was shocked to find that there is no tags column. Tags are a fundamental element of the product, so I'm not sure why the Mac version was designed without it. I'm very surprised that this hasn't been resolved by now considering EN's overall bent towards innovation and productivity.

+1 for this request, I am using The Secret Weapon and it would be great if I could see my tags in the list view like in the windows version which would make it much easier for me to quickly see if I have any notes that do have a tag.

• Level 5*

I'd like to add my +1 to this also. Though it seems that the EN team doesn't put much of a priority on this feature considering it's been more than two years. I understand that you want to be able to have "ideal" sorting of the tags column, but at least implement *something*, then improve it later. Obviously this is something that is lacking in the Mac version of Evernote, or people wouldn't be asking for it (in more than one thread). It's in the Windows version, it's on the web (where you can't sort by the tags column at all), it should be on the Mac version.

I wonder why there is such disparity between the two clients. Assuming the same amount of resources (human, time, energy, money, etc.) it would appear that the two platforms are headed in different directions. I am sure the Mac team has its reasons, and I would be interested in hearing them!

Don't get me wrong. I think the Mac app is quite nice, and I enjoy using it. The recent addition of a vertical list view in Windows and the rich variety of sort options is beautiful, though, and has led me to seriously contemplate switching platforms (still waiting on the ultrabooks to trickle out this month). Alternatively, I might use Bootcamp. Ideally, I'd stick with OSX but I use Evernote so much that it is actually worth doing.

I have my fingers crossed for the next Mac update for Evernote, but I might be a Windows guy before that happens! I certainly will not wait 2 years :)

I'd like to add my +1 to this also. Though it seems that the EN team doesn't put much of a priority on this feature considering it's been more than two years. I understand that you want to be able to have "ideal" sorting of the tags column, but at least implement *something*, then improve it later. Obviously this is something that is lacking in the Mac version of Evernote, or people wouldn't be asking for it (in more than one thread). It's in the Windows version, it's on the web (where you can't sort by the tags column at all), it should be on the Mac version.

+1 for this request. I use both the Windows and Mac clients. I spend most of my time in the list view and not having the tag column on the Mac makes it less useful. It seems like an easy thing to do to just add the column for tags in the Mac client.

I'm all for this as well, and not just for sorting. Being able to navigate via the list view looking at tags is very useful. It's also good to be able to see what entries haven't been tagged.

This is exactly the primary use case I have for a Tags column -- I rarely need to sort on the Tags column.

But I often need to see what Tags have or have not been applied by looking at the entire list.

And, of course, I'm sure you want to keep the Mac and Win versions consistent, right?

Please just add a simple Tags column. Don't make us wait for something complex that might enhance sorting.

Thanks.

Well, maybe a flat one is not ideal but it'd be something. Windows and Web versions already have this. Why not use just alphabetic sort order as in the OSX client sidebar and that's it? This would be very useful for many of us.

-- Jose

I'd also like to see this. I work more in my Mac than PC and dislike having to do my sorting on my Windows version. I understand the tradeoffs around first tag and sorting and would live with that over not having anything.

Of course if I were more organized I would sort/file each new clipping at the time of clipping but it's easier to go back and clean up at a later time.

Thanks,

David

Geech has been working through a lot of other bugs and optimizations lately, but we'd definitely consider something like this in the future. A flat "tags" column isn't quite ideal, since you can only sort on the first tag in the list (randomly selected), so we may try to come up with something better, but thanks for the feedback.

Archived