Feature: Context

• Level 5*

I don't see that the new feature puts your privacy at risk.  The article you reference agrees that Evernote's Three Laws are not compromised by the system pulling up examples of third party content that allegedly complements your notes.  Stephen Hackett's point is that he doesn't want his note content messed up with the addition of random extra material that may,  or probably will not,  be relevant to what he wants to do.  I think it depends on how Evernote present the additional material.  If it is incorprated within my notes,  I'll be switching it off too.  If Evernote offers the extras in a way that I can easily dismiss if necessary,  then it might be quite handy to have an inbuilt reality check against some of the stuff I read online these days...

Well, Evernote is scanning my content in order to present relevant information.  I don't like that part, even if they're limiting their scans to my own data.  I was unable to dismiss the presented Contextual data.  The only way to make it go away was to turn off the feature.  The information is presented below whatever Note you're working in, which is added clutter/distraction on the screen.  Evernote is my way of organizing data I curate, and I want my notes/notebooks free of outside noise.

I read that one goes to the Tools/Option section to disable "Context" on a PC desktop.  I could not find the "Context" disabling option in this path on my desktop computer.  Am I looking in the right place?

I am on a business account with someone else and I do not own the account.  I was concerned that my private information would be shared with the other people using the 

business account.  Does the sharing only apply to notes set up under the "Business" notebook section or are my "Personal" notebook notes also being shared?

• Level 5*

I read that one goes to the Tools/Option section to disable "Context" on a PC desktop.  I could not find the "Context" disabling option in this path on my desktop computer.  Am I looking in the right place?

I am on a business account with someone else and I do not own the account.  I was concerned that my private information would be shared with the other people using the 

business account.  Does the sharing only apply to notes set up under the "Business" notebook section or are my "Personal" notebook notes also being shared?

Your notes aren't shared with anyone else unless 1) you create a note in a notebook that has been sha\red to you,  or 2) you decide to share a note from your own notebooks,  If you're not already getting 'context' messages,  you won't be able to shut offthe option because it may not have been enabled in your version of Evernote yet.

• 1 month later...

I actually like the idea of Context, as long it's sufficiently customizable to include sources that are relevant to me and my work. Currently, it's rather limited in that regard. Soe academic sources would be nice. Another customization option that I would like is letting me choose the notebooks that are used to fish for relevant notes. For instance, I use Evernote also as a task manager, and I might want to exclude all the notes in my "Done" notebook.

... but I do find the Context popup utterly annoying, even more so because it seems to be the only way to access Context. Or do I overlook something? It would be much nicer to let me switch off the popup, and let me click somewhere to quickly check the Context on a note.

Archived