New Jotscript doesn't work with Penultimate. Which is the problem?

Arrow

I just got a Jotscript stylus to work with Penultimate. I haven't been using Penultimate for a long while and decided to give it another try right as the new upgrade was released. I got the stylus yesterday and tried using it last night. It is awful. I can't get it to write reliably no matter what I try.

It is definitely connected. I've turned off the multi gesture feature in the iPad settings. I've tried a couple of hand position settings. I've tried pushing hard, as well as using little pressure. Thick and thin ink. Turning off my bluetooth keyboard and leaving it on.

Nothing seems to work. As I write it will sometimes write nicely but then stop registering completely. Or it won't register certain marks, such as crossing a T.

When I first started using Penultimate way back before it was owned by Evernote the recognition with a basic stylus was actually pretty good. This is competely unusable.

Is this a problem with the Adonit Jotscript or the new version of Penultimate. Should I give up the stylus, Penultimate or both? Just go back to writing on paper and scanning the paper notes into Evernote?

I am having the same problems, both with dropouts (like you mentioned) AND with much less smooth, natural writing. Penultimate seems to have reverted to a single, standard thickness for every stroke, instead of the advances they had made to make writing look natural. See comparison in the picture I've attached. In Noteshelf (as well as in the previous version of Penultimate), writing looked natural. In the new Penultimate, it's blocky again.

I'm using a JotScript on an iPad Air.

post-71850-0-79619400-1416597925_thumb.j

Notability, Notesuite, Noteshelf and Goodnotes have various strengths and weaknesses.  My favorite for overall usability is Notability.   ALL are VASTLY superior to Penultimate (old version) and INFINITELY superior to the new version.  Notability also now has a Mac version.  Notability and Notesuite also have superior sound recording and text editing capabilities.  When I am taking live notes, I do it electronically in Notability with an iPad and then transfer in .pdf format to Evernote when I'm done editing.  

If Evernote simply partnered with one or several of these companies to integrate their software with Evernote, users would be infinitely better off than they are today.  Evernote has clearly demonstrated the lack of core competency in integrating handwriting and drawing.   How they could have unleashed this *****-wear to a committed user base should be a wake up call that focus on customers is getting lost in the enthusiasm to "change the world."  

I think I've figured out it is a known problem with iPad Air 2.

The new screen causes problems with their old SDK. They have a new SDK for the iPad Air 2 but only GoodNotes 4 has tried to implement it and they didn't do it right. So the problem exists in all apps.

That has been my experience today. I've tried Penultimate, Notes Plus and GoodNotes4. The performance of the Jot Script has been absolutely awful on all. It is competely unusable.

Evernote needs to get this fixed ASAP and also put a notice on their site. I bought the Jot Script through the Evernote site at their recommendation and it is completely unusable.

I think I've figured out it is a known problem with iPad Air 2.

The new screen causes problems with their old SDK. They have a new SDK for the iPad Air 2 but only GoodNotes 4 has tried to implement it and they didn't do it right. So the problem exists in all apps.

I'm using an iPad Air (not Air 2). And the problem I'm having is just with Penultimate, not Noteshelf and Notability (which I've checked and confirmed).

Agree with the comments about the total lack of performance of the JotScript with both the old and new versions of Penultimate.

I cannot fathom such a lack of product performance given the heavy promotion (and branding of JotScript) ? I am using the latest iPad Air 2 and a brand new JotScript and the result is shocking to say the least.

I am quite happy with Noteshelf which also has the added features of being able to annotate PDF's, work with the Livescribe 3 smart pen and most importantly is able to sync effectively with Evernote.

I have tried to love Penultimate but it is nothing more than a rudimentary "mobile white board" for finger writing.

Evernote should just forget trying to deliver something I house and form close alliances with some of the more advanced and leading apps that have developed and kept pace with those of us that like a tactile writing experience.

The new update, v6.0.1, is an improvement but it still is awful. The drop outs are frequent. The writing experience is frustrating and unreliable.

The Evernote Adonit Jot Script was a complete waste of $75. Evernote should be embarrassed to put their name and reputation behind this.

I'm going back to pen and paper... and iPad and keyboard.

Arrow, I understand perfectly your frustration as I felt exactly like you when I invested in the relatively expensive JotScript stylus and expected it to work perfectly with Penultimate, Evernote's in house writing App.

I have since accepted that Penultimate is not the solution (with or without the JotScript) and have moved on.

I am very happy with my JotScript now that I have discovered an app which allows me to write creatively and that syncs perfectly with Evernote.

It is disappointing though particularly for those of us who have been serious Evernote Advocates.

Archived