Version 6 unable to display notes

Frozen  Dave

Idea

The Mac app store auto-updated Evernote to version 6. Notes appear in sidebar but when selected, the note content is completely blank. Double-clicking any note opens a window, where the content again is blank, but the title gets CHANGED to "Untitled Note", which then propagates to the cloud, effectively erasing the note title.

What the **** is going on here???? Screenshot attached of a note that HAD a title, with a photo, doubled-clicked to open up to show no content and now an erased title.

post-122078-0-43985900-1416589049_thumb.

53 replies to this idea

I'm using the App store v 6.0 on Mac. I have suffered greatly. I can no longer rely on EN. I have blank notes (did I lose the content or will it come back? ... I don't know). I have notes suddenly losing their titles right before my eyes. I have closed EN on my Mac and am afraid to open it again for fear of causing further corruption. I am confused by reading solutions by users. App store version vs. website version? Issues with website using different database than App store and impact on local notes? I'm looking for official advice and an answer from Evernote-the-Company on how to handle this. Is that available anywhere? 

I'm running Mavericks version 10.9.5 and recently upgraded to Evernote 6.0 about 2 weeks ago.  Had this same bug and it was my first time submitting a support ticket to Evernote Support team.  Waited for over a week and no response from Evernote staff on this bug.  I finally found this forum post on Google search and felt relieve to hear about the solution.  I thought an update would be released soon or I would hear something from Evernote support team but it's a free app so guess we can't complain. 

Just performed an export right now.  Going to uninstall the app store version and try their latest version from their website!   :)  Their upgrades in the past has always been pretty stable and this was my first time experiencing a bug this big on EN!  The forums will be my EN support team now.   :lol:

Had the same issue. Will now move to the direct download (non-App Store) version and see if it fixes it.

Surprised there is not more involvement of Evernote Support on this topic given how detrimental to the "bulletproof" image that Evernote otherwise cultivates. This bug makes notes disappear and people will lose confidence in the product. Pretty damaging.

I experienced this today and it made me 1) realize how mission critical Evernote is to me and 2) worried me about the stability of the product. 

Glad to find this forum and fix with a Google search - thank you. 

What I don't understand is why Evernote's customer service team was not post#2 on this thread with a "we're on it"

I been using Evernote for about 3-4 years now and this is the very first Mac update that I've ran across such a huge bug like this.  The rest of the time, all the software updates has been pretty solid.  That's why I was so surprised to see a bug this big in a huge release.  Being a developer myself, it's hard to build bulletproof software...especially when you're doing a major code rewrite and release.  ***** happens!  So I give EN the benefit of the doubt that once in awhile things fall through the crack.

The disappointing thing was the lack of or response time of their support team.  I still haven't got any response to the support ticket that I opened!  If you want your free customer's to eventually upgrade to a premium service, not responding or helping us isn't going to instill confidence for us to ever upgrade.  I hope their premium service support isn't like this.  :mellow:

I upgraded to v6 (.0.3) from the App Store today, and now can't access notes on the Mac due to this issue. I am astonished to find, on looking at this forum to see if anyone else has the problem, that this has been a known issues since Nov 21st. Why, on December 5th, has the release not yet been pulled?!

Interestingly, on going back to Evernote, the note was there. A bit of experimenting shows that the notes do load, but it takes over a minute! Oh, also it's decided the particular note I was looking at was created on 16th December 1969. 

Going to have to use the web version and wait for an update.

Hmmm...unbelievable, I never thought a company of this scale support staff is non existent!  Never got a response to my support ticket which has been around 3 weeks now.  :angry:

Guess it's up to the users on the forums to help each other out now. :)   FYI version 6.0.3 works fine on both Mavericks v10.9.5 and Yosemite v10.10.1 OS (I just updated 2 days ago).  I would recommend that users that still have problems on v6.0.3 to try to do a complete uninstall first with an app like AppCleaner or CleanMyMac 2.  Reboot and do a fresh install of the latest version.

It's a shame, I really like Evernote app and hope they'll invest more on their support team. 

I relaunched the app after a few hours and my notes have reappeared. It's almost like the app needed a nap. I'm still using v6.0.3 that was installed & recently updated via the Mac App Store. Support folks just emailed me the procedure for updating to the latest beta, but will hold out for an update via the App Store unless my notes keep disappearing.

My situation is almost the same, but a bit different.

Evernote was upgraded on my system to version 6.0 on 28-Nov-14, and to 6.0.3 on 04-Dec-14. It had continue to work fine after each of those upgrades up until earlier today. Then suddenly this afternoon, all the notes were blank. After reading this thread I saw that it was recommended to reboot my Mac, and also to replace the App Store version with the direct Evernote download.

Trying the simplest thing first, I rebooted. After that, the notes are all back. No replacement of the app needed.

I am reporting this because it seems my situation was different in the following ways:

1. Problem only occurred two weeks after new version of Evernote. 

2. Only the reboot was needed. My machine had been rebooted sometime during the last two weeks, but apparently the "reboot to fix" is only effective once the problem has occurred.

Hope this helps someone.

Same issue happen to me after a week or more of being on App Store version 6.0.3.      Per the pervious post a simple reboot of my Mac fixed the problem for the time being.    Recently I've started using two monitors so not sure if that was variable in the bug,  probably not but just putting it out there.    

• Level 5*

Many users are reporting that it can take up to a day for EN Mac 6.0 (AppStore) to reindex all of your notes.  This may be causing the issue you are seeing.  Be sure that you have done a restart on your Mac, or maybe even do a restart now.

If after a day you are still experiencing this issue, you may want to switch to the Evernote Direct download version 6.0.1, or downgrade to a previous version.

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

I have the samme issue, however the notes are still there in the web-interface (though not up-to-date). After the upgrade from app-store it required me to login and after that all notes was empty.

Have you created an issue and is it possible to follow that issue?

I had exactly the same problem this morning. Upgraded to Evernote 6 through the app store and then every note I clicked changed its title to Untitled and would not open.

As noted above, uninstalling the App Store version (I didn't use AppZapper, just dragged the application into the Trash) and installing the (newer) version from their homepage "fixed" the problem.

I say "fixed" because the notes I'd clicked on were still Untitled after re-installing and I had to go back and rename them.

@cableman: Thanks a lot for the help!

I've gone through exactly the same thing, all notes show content in Notebook view but are blank when opened!

The note [ so far ] are still OK when I open them on my iPad Air2?

I'm trying to build up the nerve to Zap the file and reload from EN home page???

I got up the nerve to follow Cableman's advise - Zapped upgrade and reinstalled from Evernote web site.

It solved all of these problems and my notes were all safe and sound.

Too bad Evernote didn't advise us about this!

Same issue here. Evernote support is NOT responding to "trouble tickets" nor direct communication via email. I will try some of the posted "solutions" however Evernote has lost my business. No way to release software and not tell people about the risks. I wish I would have stayed with the previous version.

UPDATE: The upgrade via the App Store and the download via Evernote's web site do not use the same location on your hard drive. The result is you will lose any Private notes stored in the previous version. I found this out the hard way. Yes I made a backup of my notes prior to the upgrade, unfortunately, it was an HTML backup and all my encrypted data was gone. Lesson learned. When exporting (backing up) use the ENEX version to recover your data completely. In order to get back to my private notes I had to restore my Time Machine backup of the app in the Applications folder. Now I can install the Download version and then import my private notes (if that will even work). What happens when I try to upgrade via the Apple Store again? Since both apps place their data in different locations there is bound to be some problems. When looking at the console log I see Evernote struggling with LOTS of errors. My confidence in this product has dropped to the point where I doubt I will be renewing my "premium" subscription. Its funny to note that all the "free" accounts I'm using with Evernote have had no issues since I access them via the Browser. Its only my "premium" account that I'm paying for that I seem to be having difficulty.

Hey guys & gals - if you had backups for your Evernote on Revert, we've written a detailed how-to for restoring your Evernote to its former glory: How I fixed my Evernote. This bug really shows the value of backups, as it affected our co-founder too!

If you don't have backups running yet, now's a great time to start. It's free! https://revert.io Also happy for any feedback or questions.

• Level 5*

It sounds like you have upgraded to EN Mac 6.0, AppStore version.  This version has known bugs that cause the issues you are seeing.  Most likely all of your Notes are still there, just not being properly processed by Ver 6.0.

At this point, I would recommend that you do NOT use Ver 6.0 any more to avoid losing more of your Note Titles.

Your choices now are:

1. Switch to Direct D/L Ver 6.0.2 which has fixed these bugs
    See Evernote Mac v6.0.2 Released
  2. Wait for an update to the AppStore version to be released, which is due any day now.
    You can use EN Web until the update.

The ticket I submitted was "Ticket# 831787 - BUG: 6.0 deleting notes", but I'm not sure how to post a link to it.  I've only received an automated reply that said [to paraphrase], "We've gotten so many bug reports on this hunk of $@!% that it may be a while before we get to you non-premium complainers."

I took the advice of some other posts and tried to switch to the direct down load.  BE CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE LOCAL NOTES AND DO THIS!!!! The App store version and the direct download version store local notes in different places, and Time Machine was worth it's weight in gold yesterday when I tried delete the App store version.  Because of the note corruption on the local notes, I ended up reverting to the previous version of Evernote, along with the pre-migration database (losing a few notes in the process... thanks, Evernote...), exporting from the pre-6.0 version, deleting that, re-installing the 6.0.1 direct download version, and then re-importing my local work notes.  That only took me a few hours and a bottle of scotch.

In the end, I've finally recovered everything (except for about 1/2 a days notes inbetween the last time-machine backup and the 6.0 update...), and 6.0.1 has not (yet) corrupted my notes.  

But, at this point, I really don't trust it, and due to corporate security policy the option of "Just use the cloud!" is not a viable answer.  (And I don't trust Evernote to not corrupt those as well at this point...)   For whatever reason, Onenote cloud storage is acceptable to the corporate IT folks though (go figure), and now that OneNote has Android, Mac, and (of course) PC versions, which was the reason I was using Evernote in the first place, I'm going to try to migrate ~2000 offline notes over to that platform... 

Plus I hate the stupid all-white color scheme.  Corrupting my notes is the real reason I'm migrating away, but the "Trust us, our user testing people all really liked looking at featureless pieces of white paper all day" UI is just icing on the cake.

• Level 5*

I took the advice of some other posts and tried to switch to the direct down load.  BE CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE LOCAL NOTES AND DO THIS!!!! The App store version and the direct download version store local notes in different places, and Time Machine was worth it's weight in gold yesterday when I tried delete the App store version.  

Good point, BrentCh.

That's why I have the export to ENEX for Local Notebooks at the top of my reinstall instructions.

Also, because of the different locations for AppStore vs Direct D/L, that's why (as stated in my instructions) that you need to completely remove the current version BEFORE installing the new version.

Finally, your point about doing your own backup via Time Machine is well taken, and very important.  IMO, everyone should be doing this.

That's why I have the export to ENEX for Local Notebooks at the top of my reinstall instructions.

Yep.  While your instructions look great, btw, I'm not sure if they would help recover the corrupted local notes from 6.0, but I should probably have tried exporting before I blew it away.  Using TM to restore to a known good point seemed like a faster path to stability at the time.  Now I'm wondering what would have happened if I had saved the 'corrupted' notes to ENEX in 6.0 and tried restoring them in 6.0.1.  I do have the backup from just before the restore, but I'm too wary of ***** something up [again] to try the experiment.

• Level 5*

Yep.  While your instructions look great, btw, I'm not sure if they would help recover the corrupted local notes from 6.0, but I should probably have tried exporting before I blew it away.  Using TM to restore to a known good point seemed like a faster path to stability at the time.  Now I'm wondering what would have happened if I had saved the 'corrupted' notes to ENEX in 6.0 and tried restoring them in 6.0.1.  I do have the backup from just before the restore, but I'm too wary of ***** something up [again] to try the experiment.

I think you did the right thing.  If the Notes were already corrupted, exporting them would NOT fix anything.

I'm here to repeat the warning others have made regarding writing over the App Store version with the most recent version from the Evernote website.  I had a huge number of local notes and they were all lost when I did this.  Fortunately, I have Time Machine working, so have a backup.  I've restored the App Store version so that (hopefully) I can export the unsynchronized notes as a backup before trying to update again. 

• Level 5*

I'm here to repeat the warning others have made regarding writing over the App Store version with the most recent version from the Evernote website.  I had a huge number of local notes and they were all lost when I did this.  Fortunately, I have Time Machine working, so have a backup.  I've restored the App Store version so that (hopefully) I can export the unsynchronized notes as a backup before trying to update again. 

Good point Lynnied.  It is unfortunate that the Evernote Knowledge Base does not provide a comprehensive article for reinstall of EN Mac that includes export/backup of Local Notebooks.

That is why I have put together a comprehensive process, that includes as Step #2,  BEFORE anything is uninstalled:

2.  Export to ENEX files* any Local NBs and unsync’d Notes that you may have

Archived