Removing Tags no longer used

PortlyMan

I have a couple of Tags that I want to delete from the autofill links with in Windows Evernote (not checked if they appear in Android or iPad yet)

Although they have no notes associated with them, there is no way to kill them. Both are TAGs not to be used, or mis-spellings, so I want to get rid of them, but can't seem to see how?

thanks

thanks, took me a while to scroll down my long list of notebooks to realise that the tags were held down there ... being a windows man, a menu item would be a good link, maybe under the view menu to jump to there, just for us backward Friday afternoon people :-)

thanks, found and sorted.

cheers

Thanks, yes got the answer, but sadly as stated I'm on Windows, so we don't have Ctrl-help, it's F1 on Windows ... and surprisingly that brings up a most unhelpful list of references:

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/search?query=Delete%20unsused%20tags

which is why I posted the question here!

I am to understand the Mac has built-in help? Or is it online too?

I'd be very miffed if EverNote had once again managed to split functionality and have proper help on one platform but not another?!

Sadly it's what many of us have come to expect, so would not be surprised, just led down and disappointed ... :-(

Windows desktop ... but err... windows ... well at lest until Win7 ... does not have a help key?!

<F1> is the standard help button, and that takes you to online help.

A PC keyboard has never had a help key, not since MSDOS and before!

I use a win 7 soft keyboard on a tablet and checked Microsoft Win 8 keyboards to see if they have "added" any thing and can't see a <help> key or anything different

Please advise what key you are using and if this is built in help or just routing to the website?

What version of Evernote are you using?

thanks

• Level 5*

Windows desktop ... but err... windows ... well at lest until Win7 ... does not have a help key?!

<F1> is the standard help button, and that takes you to online help.

A PC keyboard has never had a help key, not since MSDOS and before!

I use a win 7 soft keyboard on a tablet and checked Microsoft Win 8 keyboards to see if they have "added" any thing and can't see a <help> key or anything different

Please advise what key you are using and if this is built in help or just routing to the website?

What version of Evernote are you using?

thanks

Are you running the Windows app, Evernote Win?

Hold down the CTRL key, then click on the Help menu in EN Win.

Hey, look I'm sorry this is starting to sound like a moan, it's not meant to be, so sorry. I have found the solution with the help of "csihilling", so job done, but was surpised to have other routes to the tags (like via the view menu) mentioned that Windows EN was missing, lets face it having the tags section listed under view is fairly logical !! (PS the "Jump to Tags" option is not taking you to the tags section, it takes you to the tags filter.

However I was surprised that I realised EN had no in-built help and there appeared to be interface differences, well actually it's an EN speciallity, between versions/systems ... and that does annoy and frustrate me, more so if it's available on the mac :-)

I am running Windows Evernote Desktop 5.7.2..5753 on Windows 7

Clicking or <ctrl> clicking the menu "help" has the same effect as just clicking the help menu, to bring up the sub menu (never seen <ctrl> and a menu do anything special before and not surprised at this.)

The sub Menu has listed as the first option "Online help    F1" ... see image below

en.jpg

There is no help key and the help menu only offers to take you to online help ... ie these forums and a few "guides" and some KB bits, which when searched gave less than relevant answers ...

My concern was and still is, that Gaz is using a Mac or other client, as he's clearly trying to help, for which I'm grateful, but his functionality and mine are different, which is what I wanted to bottom out, as I don't get to see a Mac, I can't tell.

But his use of phases (help key) etc reminds me of a mac user, and I just wanted to know if the mac version had in-built help, so that I could add it to the list of things EN could do to improve the Windows offering. It's not hard to port a help file (and deal with interface/keyboard difference) and just lazy if they have not.

I'd rather have help than none, but do think if you're helping from another pltform, especially in the EN family, it's better to say so upfront ... ie on my Mac version I have a <ctrl> <help> option that when searched with "X Y Z" brings up the following ....

Sadly the versions are not the same. I was just curious to hear if the Mac version had help ... just never got back an answer!

Anyway, bottom line is I have found my answer and grateful for all three of your help, I appreciate people providing their time and energy to help others, without your and many other users posts, EN users would be pretty screwed, even those of us who haved used it for 4-5 years or more!

thanks again

My concern was and still is, that Gaz is using a Mac or other client, as he's clearly trying to help, for which I'm grateful, but his functionality and mine are different, which is what I wanted to bottom out, as I don't get to see a Mac, I can't tell.

Just to explain a little.

Last I recall, he is a windows user. ;)

He was referring to a hidden menu that has moved recently. Previously it was obtained by running Evernote with an additional command, it contains an option that has exactly what you were looking for. It would select all the tags with no notes associated.

It changed recently to become less difficult to access and so easier to use. I wonder why it doesn't show for you.

Edit:thread about it moving:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/65217-optimize-database-removed-from-evernote-windows-56/

Arrh penny now dropped ... took a looooooonnnnnnnnggg while :-)

I was looking purely for a help topic, rather than a menu command for the task ... had become coalfaced (and red faced now!) .. yes there are more task focussed options on the menu via the <ctrl> click (new one on me!)

and Yes there is a menu item for that specific task, although must say I prefer "csihilling"'s answer as it lets me see the tags in one place and allows more flexibility to edit etc.

Was too consumed in the help search to notice the extra tasks, doh!

Thanks for the clarification, as those options look quite useful in themselves.

Cheers

• Level 5*

Well I really am using Windows (the secret's in the signature) and at no stage did I say "help key" although I'll allow that any instruction to press Ctrl+Help does kind've imply it's a key combination.

I'm using Windows 8.0 on this laptop which has a top menu like this -

post-63053-0-73966600-1417004341_thumb.j

...and if you hold Ctrl while clicking on 'Help' in the menu bar with the mouse,  you get this...

post-63053-0-59227000-1417004366_thumb.j

EDIT:  It should be noted that the extra options come with a stern Health Warning from Evernote - they're meant to be used only if instructed to do so by Support,  and I'd be inclined to backup my database one extra time for luck before using them...

EDIT: It should be noted that the extra options come with a stern Health Warning from Evernote - they're meant to be used only if instructed to do so by Support, and I'd be inclined to backup my database one extra time for luck before using them...

I'd say so! That menu option used to say 'select unassigned tags' not delete.

Need to take a new look at that list, seems there are a few more options than I recall.

Archived