Evernote for iOS v7.6.2 Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

We released Evernote for iOS 7.6.2 earlier this morning.

Release notes:

• Work Chat: a new way to share and collaborate in Evernote
    • Share notes and notebooks in-app (note sharing was introduced in 7.6.0, notebook sharing via Work Chat is new in 7.6.2)
    • Give view or edit permission when you share a single note
    • Chat with individuals or groups about things you’re working on
    • See when others are viewing or editing notes in your account and start chats with them
  • Updated Today widget with recently viewed notes
    • Up to 3 most-recently viewed notes (on the device the app is installed) will appear in the Today widget - tap to launch Evernote in that note
    • Note: the recently viewed notes area will be empty until you start viewing notes in the app
  • Notable bug fixes:
    • Being constantly greeted with an error message (“Problem connecting to Evernote. Please verify your Internet connection. Try again”)
    • Some users created notebooks in 7.6.1 that did not appear in the UI nor sync to Evernote - 7.6.2 will display and sync these notebooks
    • Crash: deleting only synced folder after creating a new folder & prior to syncing
    • Crash: typing username/email into new Work Chat
    • Single quotes / apostrophes from web client will no longer appear as “'” in Work Chat
    • Excessively large avatar no longer appears in note permission

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

We hope you like the latest release and are eager to hear your feedback.

Cheers!

36 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Well, some minor issues today with 7.6.3.  From time to time the EN IOS screen gets stuck on Downloading Headers 100% for a while (minutes), but then fixes itself if I turn auto lock off and give it enough time to do something.  Then it works fine for a while.

Sorry - to be clear, yes I know the hard reset thing. But I just did a power off/power on cycle, and it worked - but only for a while. Then it played up again.

I also cleared everything out of memory that was possible, using the double-tap then swipe 'em away, plus used an app called MemoryInfo to clear all stubs out of memory that can be cleared.

I've also done a hard reset since I posted the above, and again, it worked for a while, then froze again after about 4 instances of opening, a few swipes and taps on notes, then closing, then clearing it out of memory.

'Tis a mystery, but a PITA

I suppose it could be due to my old iPhone 4S....  It seems to be working fine on my iPad Air

Evernote on iPhone 5s with iOS 8.1.1 was not syncing (stuck in downloading headers at 85%).

Killing the app by app switcher did not solve this.

Switching off and on the iPhone completely (keeping pushed the power button until it asks) did solve this : Evernote launched and completed the sync.

No more stuck since yesterday (used and synced at least ten times since).

So maybe there is some bug with iOS 8 going on ?

• Level 5*

Similar issues on iPad and iPhone.  Primary pattern I am seeing is that any time I bring up the IOS version after changes on the PC the sync hangs at some percentage.  Number or size of changes doesn't seem to have any impact.  

Sometimes if auto lock engages, the sync will complete when I swipe the device.  Sometimes I have to close/open EN multiple times to complete the sync.  As stated above, major PITA when you want to create a quick note and all you get is the spinning circle....  Haven't tried just leaving EN up on the IOS device, but it seems battery goes more quickly when I do that.

• Level 5*

Addendum.

Adjusting some reminder dates on the iPad this morning and noticed some hard lags, 15-30 seconds, from time to time.  Acted like note content was being downloaded but these notes were in offline notebooks.  Stabbing in the dark, but with the discussion about notifications and EN's statement of recent sync update improvements, ....?

• Level 5*

Woke up this morning to a new EN version on my iDevices, 7.6.3 I think.  May be too early to tell, but at first blush the sync issues and sluggishness seem to have been remedied.  I made a number of changes in my desktop EN including some some notes with large attachments and everything synced just fine.  In recent weeks this would have required multiple restarts of IOS EN,  Anyone else seeing similar positive results from the new version?

Yup - same here. iOS 8.1.1 on iPhone 4S

Seems to be working OK on my iPad Air, same iOS.

I have auto-updates turned OFF on both the phone and the iPad to prevent nasty surprises, so I'm not sure how this snuck through.....

Both devices showing Evernote v7.6.2.313133

Power off/on worked for a while on the iPhone, but now it has stopped again. No notes - I can see the list of notes (snippet view) but if I tap on one, I see just the blank note under the title. Then I get the "Timed out" error.

Between the disaster that is Evernote for the Mac v6, and now this one for iOS, I'm rapidly losing faith in Evernote and their priorities.

Hi folks!

We are actively investigating reports of crashes and hangs for our upcoming release. For those of you still experiencing app hang issues in 7.6.3, there are two potential work arounds that may help:

1) Disable recently viewed notes in the Today widget. To try this, go to Settings > General, and change the "Recent Notes in Today" toggle to the off position.

2) If you are stuck in a hang loop, try a reboot of the device.

These are only temporary workarounds -- a fix is coming in our next update. Please let us know if these help resolve your issues in the meantime. As always, thank you for your patience.

-jamie

Nothing worked; kept crashing despite reboot..had to uninstall EN and reinstall :(

iPhone 6+

iOS 8.1.2

Hi foks!

We are actively investigating reports of crashes and hangs for our upcoming release. For those of you still experiencing app hang issues in 7.6.3, there are two potential work arounds that may help:

1) Disable recently viewed notes in the Today widget. To try this, go to Settings > General, and change the "Recent Notes in Today" toggle to the off position.

These are only temporary workarounds -- a fix is coming in our next update. Please let us know if these help resolve your issues in the meantime. As always, thank you for your patience.

-jamie

So I uninstalled and reinstalled. Then redownloaded our data over several hours for offline. It worked for a couple hours but once again won't open. EN crashes when trying to login via fingerprint. I can't get EN to open at all. cant access EN at all and need important documents ASAP.

Hi foks!

1) Disable recently viewed notes in the Today widget. To try this, go to Settings > General, and change the "Recent Notes in Today" toggle to the off position.

-jamie

How about you do some actual use user testing before running a feature love? I am not updating this app until I feel it is safe in the future. This ***** completely broke the app and wasted countless hours of my time.

Hi folks!

1) Disable recently viewed notes in the Today widget. To try this, go to Settings > General, and change the "Recent Notes in Today" toggle to the off position. 2) If you are stuck in a hang loop, try a reboot of the device. These are only temporary workarounds -- a fix is coming in our next update. Please let us know if these help resolve your issues in the meantime. As always, thank you for your patience.-jamie

Jhull,

I've had some problems with the release on my iPad Mini. Specifically, the Evernote web clipping extension in Safari crashes and the text I'm typing freezes before I can not Save to clip the page to Evernote. I've submitted a ticket and looking forward to a reply. In the alternative, perhaps this issue could be addressed in an update. Thanks.

I'm using 7.6.3, and cannot even get Evernote to start up on my iPhone 6 Plus. I've tried all the methods of removing and reinstalling, rebooting, etc. I hope this is fixed in the next version. Right now my premium subscription is severely hobbled by this issue.

How about you do some actual use user testing before running a feature love? I am not updating this app until I feel it is safe in the future. This ***** completely broke the app and wasted countless hours of my time.

Cannot like this enough. As a company En seems to think it is too cool for QA. Anything they cobble together must be golden because they are so awesome. Someday they will wake up and realize they were dealing with real people running many different versions of iOS on all kinds of devices who nevertheless who apps that actually function. Many companies can make that happen but it takes a lot of work. EN is above that kind of effort.

ditto. no problems until recent update (to 7.6.2).

I have also had a number of crashes.. or rather a number of times where there is no visible activity at all and I landed up having to quit the application. The last time this happened the below error window appeared. Not ideal but alright,  except I can't click on the 'ok' button... so in other words a crash.

evernote_ios_error.jpg

FYI I am using iPhone 5 with iOS 8.1.1

EN 7.6.2 (premium user)

----------------------------

PS. Evernote employees.. Just a week ago like so many users I was very happy with your software and it was providing a key service to me. I was looking at getting the business version and rolling it out throughout my company. 

Fast forward a week to now. Now I have had a total nightmare with data loss, freezing and other problems on both OSX and iOS updates of your software. I have managed to downgrade on OSX which I can accept for a short time to allow you to sort out the current version. I will now look to see if there is a way to do this on iOS (I assume not). Frankly I and many others will not wait long for all these problems to be sorted and you will loose many loyal users for good.  I really hope you can get your act together very quickly as I, and I am sure many others really don't want to have to leave you.

• Level 5

Is there a way to hide the recent notes in the today widget?  I loved how compact the pervious version was and now it takes up several times the amount of space.

Yes, there is. If you go into Settings > General, you can change the "Recent Notes in Today" toggle to the off position.

This version of the app keeps freezing on me. I open a new note, start typing and it immediately becomes permanently frozen. Very frustrating. Cannot use in iPhone 6 at all confined to Mac desktop app.

Ditto here.  Has anyone heard anything about this?  The forums seem to have many threads mentioning issues w/ iPhone and latest EN.  Would love to know when to expect a fix or at least a workaround.

Hi,

I have the same issue as 

This version of the app keeps freezing on me. I open a new note, start typing and it immediately becomes permanently frozen. Very frustrating. Cannot use in iPhone 6 at all confined to Mac desktop app.

on my iPhone 5s (iOS 8.1.1).

It is really horrible and the application is not possible to use, only via widget for a while.

I think I updated to 7.6.2 on my iphone 6 a few days ago and I think it was fine until yesterday, when I updated my Mac to 6.0.1 (and today to 6.0.2). Now when I use my iOS version it goes into sync mode for many many minutes, when I can't do anything, and when it finally finishes sync mode, I can open notes but can only see the title, no content. Or the whole thing freezes.

I use Evernote constantly so this is a really bad situation and like others, I'm now limited to my laptop as the web version doesn't support iphone browsers :-(

How quickly will this be fixed???

Power off/on worked for a while on the iPhone, but now it has stopped again. No notes - I can see the list of notes (snippet view) but if I tap on one, I see just the blank note under the title. Then I get the "Timed out" error.

To be clear on this, a hard reset is not simply turning the device on and off. 

To perform a hard reset, follow the instructions here.

Personally, I always ensure all apps are closed before performing a hard reset. 

Thus far, Evernote has been behaving for me since performing a hard reset. In my book, that still makes this a pretty serious bug though.

I have found a workaround of sorts for the iphone... it's clumsy but at least it means I can access and even edit my notes.

If you have EN showing in your Notification Centre, pull it down and you can tap on your last 3 notes and reach the content - yay!

From there, the other controls are functional for a while - browse your notebooks etc, until you click on another note (which will show up as blank content and freeze/crash EN) or create a new note (save will lead to the Request TImed Out error, but it will save, then freeze/crash EN). But in this way, even if you click on another note and it's blank, it's now in the last 3 notes viewed in the Notificiation Centre, so go back there, tap on it and now you can see the content again :)

But seriously Evernote, you need to get this glitch fixed. 

Same here! 

I have posted my problem with this new update. Now search doesn't bring anything back and app freezes.

I am paying for this. 

I don't know what's going on with Evernote as a company. I don't know if it is arrogance that their vision is clearly better than their customers', I don't know if is management or just basic terrible coding and design.

Penultimate is a disaster.

New update of Evernote is a disaster.

And now this iOS.

I use this 3 services for critically issues, now I feel I can't trust  my work to Evernote.

Has anyone from Evernote even acknowledged the reported issues in this iOS release?

It's been a week now of a premium service we're unable to use.

This release on an iPhone 5 is completely broken for me and many others here it would seem.

Can we get an update please?

For what's it's worth, I had filed a support ticket with EN and they did get back to me requesting a crash log/diagnostic data.

They also suggested that I reset my device, which actually worked for me.  EN 7.6.2 is now working fine on my iPhone againe.

For what's it's worth, I had filed a support ticket with EN and they did get back to me requesting a crash log/diagnostic data.

They also suggested that I reset my device, which actually worked for me.  EN 7.6.2 is now working fine on my iPhone againe.

Great, thanks for that. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

It would, however, still be a bug if a hard reset of a device is required to fix an issue with an app since hard resetting is the equivalent of pulling the plug out of your computer.

EN non working on iPhone 5 iOS 8.1.1, I can't even post a support request from the app, it looks like it tries to connect to internet but it can't do it and sometime I get timeout error.

I see the notes titles but no content inside, I tried to uninstall and re-install the app..no luck.

The app for iPad mini retina same iOS works fine.

Archived