Constructive Feedback Penultimate

chellay

Idea

Here is my constructive feedback for 6.0 which seems to be a consensus of many reviews that i have read but I wanted to reiterate...

1. don't like notes want notebooks back

2. we never said the buttons were distracting so bring them back

3. I do like the highlight feature so keep that

4. don't want zoom box at all, just give us drift back

Again, if you plan to keep it "as is" give us the option of the older version. All of the reasons that you listed in your release are all the things we hate (for the most part).

Please stay true to the creators vision of penultimate.

4 replies to this idea

Here is my constructive feedback for 6.0 which seems to be a consensus of many reviews that i have read but I wanted to reiterate...

Again, if you plan to keep it "as is" give us the option of the older version. All of the reasons that you listed in your release are all the things we hate (for the most part).

Just a note about point 1:

Notebooks still exist, they are just exactly equivalent to notebooks in Evernote. In other words, the metaphors have been aligned.

You can still create new notebooks (those circle things), and move your notes (previously notebooks) around those notebooks (now represented by circles). You can also now move your penultimate notes around to exist in any notebook in Evernote and they will show up in Penultimate, which wasn't possible before. 

So the big chore is rebuilding the structure you had pre version 6.0, which would entail creating a new notebook (circle) for each former penultimate notebook, and moving notes (formerly notebooks) to those new circles. The update would have REALLY messed up people's existing structures! 

Writing this, it sounds like gibberish, so I hope it comes across correctly. 

No doubt the new organizational metaphor will require some getting used to (and indeed some users simply might be totally out of luck depending on their organization!), and will definitely disrupt users who had fairly entrenched workflows.

Just a note about point 1:

Notebooks still exist, they are just exactly equivalent to notebooks in Evernote. In other words, the metaphors have been aligned.

You can still create new notebooks (those circle things), and move your notes (previously notebooks) around those notebooks (now represented by circles). You can also now move your penultimate notes around to exist in any notebook in Evernote and they will show up in Penultimate, which wasn't possible before. 

So the big chore is rebuilding the structure you had pre version 6.0, which would entail creating a new notebook (circle) for each former penultimate notebook, and moving notes (formerly notebooks) to those new circles. The update would have REALLY messed up people's existing structures! 

Writing this, it sounds like gibberish, so I hope it comes across correctly. 

No doubt the new organizational metaphor will require some getting used to (and indeed some users simply might be totally out of luck depending on their organization!), and will definitely disrupt users who had fairly entrenched workflows.

I understand what you are saying. What I should've said was I don't like scrolling through notes. I miss the notebook feel. I like flipping through pages. I liked the fact that it felt like a notebook. This is the main quality that attracted me in the first place. I have since started using bamboo paper due to the update, but it is not the same as my beloved version five.

I just want the old versions capabilities back. I hope someone reads this...

Maybe an option to change views in settings? Seriously, that may be a good idea. that way customers can have the best of both worlds... seriously please and thanks...consider it so I can come back! I love my old pen...I am desperate....

I can understand what you mean about the difference in "feel" between the continuous scroll and more "traditional" pages. On the one hand I can see the benefits of a continuous scroll type thing, but I think Evernote has implemented it poorly in Penultimate. The iPad app Notability has a similar continuous scroll interface, but it is also offers some pagination, I think it is a far superior implementation, so continuous scroll can be done in a good and useful way (though Notability still lacks the "page turning" feel).

Nevertheless, I get the impression from Evernote staff's posts throughout the Penultimate discussions that they are going to be refining this continuous scroll stuff to at least make navigation and organization a bit easier (there's been talk about "thumbnails" and so on. I do not get the impression that we'll see a significant reversion back to the version 5 style in a real big way though. 

I agree, doesnt look like much reversion will be going on. I think the old version will be just a memory. You win some, you lose some...I guess I will just move on...sadly...bamboo paper here i come (even though it's not as good)

Archived