Turn off word wrapping for a note?

Rob Freundlich

• Level 5*

Short answer - no.  If you can give us some more information about why you need it off,  we might be able to come up with some workarounds.  Oh - and the version of Evernote you're using also helps..  as in Web / Windows Touch / Windows Desktop / Android / iOS / Mac / tablet / mobile...

Short answer - no.  If you can give us some more information about why you need it off,  we might be able to come up with some workarounds.  Oh - and the version of Evernote you're using also helps..  as in Web / Windows Touch / Windows Desktop / Android / iOS / Mac / tablet / mobile...

Good questions, gazumped.

The reason I want this note to not wrap is that it's a log file containing output from an application I'm debugging for work.  When I'm looking at logs, I prefer to have them not wrap so I can scan them easily for patterns - the wrapped text gets in the way of seeing the patterns.  Generally I use a text editor for that, but now that I've gotten myself in the habit of using EN for note taking and so on for my personal life, I'm experimenting with doing it for work as well.  So I thought I'd try putting this log into EN to see what I could do with it.  Being able to mark up certain parts of it in various ways might end up being very useful, but the wrapping may outweigh that.

Version-wise, I originally chose "Other" because I'd like the particular note to not wrap in any version. But as I write this, I'm realizing that for this case, it'll be almost exclusively in the Windows 7 Desktop version (5.7.1.5586), since I code and debug on my Windows machine.  It might be helpful to be able to look at the note (non-wrapped) on the Web or my (Android) phone or Kindle Fire HDX when I'm at home or not at my desk, but I don't tend to do much work-related stuff at home, so the other versions aren't really a priority.  If there's a way for me to edit the original post, I'll change its category to Windows to reflect this.

• Level 5*

Thanks - I see the relevance.  The only suggestion I can come up with is to use a text editor of choice to view your content,  and attach the output file to a note.  Provided you have the necessary software installed on your local device,  the file will open into your preferred editor when doubleclicked from the note,  and can be saved back there when finished.  The content won't be immediately visible unless you also print to PDF - though I'm not sure if you can avoid word wrap in that process either - and attach that file too...

I like the idea of attaching the log file to a note.  It should work in many cases.

When I want to annotate the note in some way using boldface, fonts, etc, it won't be so great, but in those cases, I'll just have to deal with the wrapped text, I guess.

Do you know whether there's a formal path for feature requests?

Eureka!  (sort of)

I was able to turn off word wrapping in a note by adding this to the <en-note> element's style:

white-space: nowrap;

I was able to turn off word wrapping and add scrollbars to a section by putting the following DIV around it:

<div style="white-space: nowrap; width:100%; height: 600px; overflow: scroll;">  <!-- or overflow: auto -->

</div>

However, in both cases, the Windows client didn't show scrollbars.  Bummer.  The Web client, however, does show scrollbars.

I think that, given the lack of scrollbars in the Windows client, I probably won't do this often.  But it's nice to know it's available.

Eureka!  (sort of)

I was able to turn off word wrapping in a note by adding this to the <en-note> element's style:

I was able to turn off word wrapping and add scrollbars to a section by putting the following DIV around it:

<div style="white-space: nowrap; width:100%; height: 600px; overflow: scroll;">  <!-- or overflow: auto -->
</div>

However, in both cases, the Windows client didn't show scrollbars.  Bummer.  The Web client, however, does show scrollbars.

I think that, given the lack of scrollbars in the Windows client, I probably won't do this often.  But it's nice to know it's available.

You might be able to get some sort of scrollbars to show if you fiddle with the CSS styling. I can't say it will be pretty, but it might be semi-functional.

Eureka!  (sort of)

</div>

You might be able to get some sort of scrollbars to show if you fiddle with the CSS styling. I can't say it will be pretty, but it might be semi-functional.

What CSS files should I be fiddling with?  I found $PROGRAM FILES/Evernote/NodeWEbKit/present/css/PresentationCommon.css (and lots of other CSS files in that and similar directories), and it even had this promising snippet:

::-webkit-scrollbar {
    width: 0px;
}

But changing that to 16px did nothing.  In fact, when I shut down EN completely (including the background apps like EvernoteClipper) and ran ProcessMonitor while starting it back up, I noticed that it doesn't seem to actually access any of those CSS files.  So is this something I have to do in the note itself?  The ENML spec says that the <style> tag isn't allowed, so I'm not sure how I'd actually do this.

Oddly enough, it looks like the Windows app is putting in a horizontal scrollbar (no vertical one), but it's white-on-white, so it's unusable.  Take a look at the attached image to see what I mean.

post-231281-0-40347200-1416426731_thumb.

Ah apologies, I forgot the style tag isn't allowed. I was thinking you could just use that to force a scrollbar to appear. I think all those CSS files you found don't relate to the main note window

Ah apologies, I forgot the style tag isn't allowed. I was thinking you could just use that to force a scrollbar to appear. I think all those CSS files you found don't relate to the main note window

That would certainly explain why ProcessMonitor doesn't see EN accessing them  :) .  Looks like I'm out of luck, then, at least as far as the Windows client is concerned.  It was an interesting experiment, though!

Archived