How to TOTALLY uninstall on MAC?

How to uninstall Evernote MAC 1.5.2 and all of the associated files including the "Growl," the Elephant in the top menu bar, etc?

I did find this in another forum, but have also read of many people having problems to TOTALLY uninstall:

"To remove Evernote completely from your system, via the Finder, drag Evernote from the Applications folder to your trash. Also, in your User Account>Library>Applications Support, drag the Evernote folder to the trash. Finally, in Your User Account>Library>Preferences folder, trash the com.evernote.Evernote.plist file."

Thank you for your help.

Here's another helpful tip:

After dragging the application to the trash, reboot your Mac, and the rest of the Evernote helpers will also be removed from your system.

Hmm...that's not what many other forums have said. People have needed to re-install Evernote in their attempts to totally remove ALL related files in ALL directories. Trial users have reported some VERY bad experiences trying to REMOVE Evernote.

Ironically, since Evernote Customer Support ignores and is not available to free users, I have upgraded to Evernote Premium just to get the complete instructions to REMOVE it. :) We consider this 5 bucks well spent. (provided their "Premium Customer Support" can successfully address this issue within 30 days!)

Evernote Support does answer all support queries that come in through our web form - from Premium *and* Free users. Premium users are handled first, however.

We do get busy, so Free requests can take a while to get handled, whereas Premium requests are handled in one business day.

However, the key is *rebooting* the computer. We often find when people write in asking us how to remove the software from a Mac that they have missed that important step.

tambling received this reply via Premium support, but I'll paste it here for future reference by anyone else interested in this:

To remove all Evernote software and data from your computer:

From the Evernote icon in the Menu Bar, select Quit

Drag the Evernote application from the "Applications" folder to the Trash on your Mac

If you added Evernote to the Dock on your Mac, then Control-click on the dock icon to remove it from the dock

Open your "home" directory on your Mac in the Finder

Go into: Library / Application Support

Drag the "Evernote" folder there into the Trash

Go back to the "home" directory in the Finder

Go into: Library / Caches / Metadata

If you see a folder there named "com.evernote.Evernote", drag it to the Trash

Reboot your Mac

Empty the Trash on your Mac

This should delete all Evernote software and data from your system.

Thanks,

Evernote Support

• Like 1

And to remove Growl from your Mac:

1) Go into the Growl preferences in system preferences

2) Uncheck "Display Growl Status in the menu bar"

3) Uncheck "Start at Login"

4) Stop Growl

5) Click on Show All at the top of system preferences

6) Control+click the Growl preferences, then click to remove Growl

See the video at the top of this page to show how to do this:

http://growl.info/documentation/growl-p ... emoval.php

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, alexakar said:

Several months ago I needed to reinstall evernote and this tutorial helped me a lot. 

After putting you through all the manual steps, he recommends:

Easy way to Delete Evernote

You can uninstall Evernote or any other application on Mac in a quicker and easier way. For that use a free uninstaller App Cleaner & Uninstaller Pro. This application helps to remove programs on Mac, clear cache files, change extensions and even find leftovers of earlier removed apps.

Personally, I prefer:

Key Points:
  • All files to be deleted will be previewed first to the user, and then the files will be moved to the trash not removed immediately. There's even an Undo!
  • Finds associated items that are invisible or hidden
  • Updated Tools menu with features such as showing Library folder and deleting .DS_Store files
  • 9 months later...

I installed evernote on my macbook air in 2014.  I found the program awful.  It is an intrusive program which will insert itself everywhere on your machine.   it also doesn't work all that well.  I saved receipts to it for reimbursement and then could not print them.  I tried to unsucessfully remove the program from my computer because I didn't really like it. .  It is totally impossible.  Now, everytime I go to print a return label from Amazon, some Evernote thing comes up and totally crashes the process.  Nothing prints, it shuts down my browser.  It is the hugest pain in the buttt ever.  I am going to have to get a new computer to be able to print a frigging return label from Amazon or wipe this disc and start again.  What a mess.  

• 3 years later...

To prevent any issue during the uninstallation process, you should first quit Evernote. Then remove Evernote into the Trash. And the most important part is that you have to remove Evernote's support files as well. They are stored in the following locations: 

/Library/Containers/
~/Library/Application Scripts/
~/Library/Application Support/CrashReporter
~/Library/Caches/
~/Library/Preferences/
~/private/var/db/receipts
~/private/var/folder/I8/…

Here is a step-by-step guide on how to remove Evernote's remaining files

• Level 5

... or simply get the app AppCleaner (free) and install it on your Mac with Admin rights. Give it all the necessary access in the Macs settings, Security.

Open it, drag the EN program icon to the AppCleaner window. A list with all program components will show, some preselected. For a full uninstall make sure to check all, scroll down the list and set the checkmarks.

Then run the uninstall.

Done.

You can keep AppCleaner for other uses. Who made bad experience using it probably did not check all elements in the uninstall popup window - then these components will stay. This is the option if you just want to remove a program, leaving the data on the Mac. In case of EN, I would always do a full uninstall, because the data will sync again from the server. Only caution: If you use legacy clients, local notebooks will be deleted as well. Make sure to have a backup of these.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
On 2/19/2021 at 11:04 AM, PinkElephant said:

... or simply get the app AppCleaner (free) and install it on your Mac with Admin rights. Give it all the necessary access in the Macs settings, Security.

Open it, drag the EN program icon to the AppCleaner window. A list with all program components will show, some preselected. For a full uninstall make sure to check all, scroll down the list and set the checkmarks.

Then run the uninstall.

Done.

You can keep AppCleaner for other uses. Who made bad experience using it probably did not check all elements in the uninstall popup window - then these components will stay. This is the option if you just want to remove a program, leaving the data on the Mac. In case of EN, I would always do a full uninstall, because the data will sync again from the server. Only caution: If you use legacy clients, local notebooks will be deleted as well. Make sure to have a backup of these.

THANKS so much for this post. Im downgrading my premium account to free and basically archiving all my EN work onto a PC external drive using EN portable 6.25. I wont use Evernote anymore except in case of emergency referral to old notes as have all the work imported into DEVONthink. For other readers: Ive exported all notes as enex. I dont have local notebooks as you cannot do that on a Mac. I dont need cloud, and I dont need the huge monthly GB limits for premium accts so Im calling it a day with EN as there are no other useful acct solutions offered.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Just a remark: I think DEVONThink even does an export/import job using the EN API.

And to avoid misunderstanding about moving from legacy 6.25: DT is Apple only.

Yes DT is Mac only. And yes Ive imported enex files to DT (not sure that EN API is involved?) , it works very well. DEVONthink will generate all assets separately, as that's what EN is actually doing when it makes a note with a PDF or embedded image. Apart from that, its very good. DT search is very granular, so that's a major plus for it. If you pay for the Pro acct you also get OCR too but I can live without that fttb.

• Level 5

The API import is an option, as I understand it. For the OCR they use the Abby engine, which costs a license fee. 

There is a one major difference: DT is self hosted, on a Mac, and to be available, the Mac must be running. The cloud link is for the mobile version only.

This means who is happy with hosting his own data, go head. It means that safeguarding your data, privacy and if necessary remote access need to be handled by yourself as well. This not a show stopper, but needs to be considered.

9 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There is a one major difference: DT is self hosted, on a Mac, and to be available, the Mac must be running. The cloud link is for the mobile version only.

This means who is happy with hosting his own data, go head. It means that safeguarding your data, privacy and if necessary remote access need to be handled by yourself as well. This not a show stopper, but needs to be considered.

Actually that's one of the main reasons Ive moved to DT, I want full control of my data, and the option to sync or not to other devices. I get a feeling that EN is going through major funding changes, which makes it feel a bit unreliable, tbh. As well as not having the option (on Mac) to have local notebooks, or to not sync existing notebooks, for me are big limitations. This is why I cant go forward with a premium acct even though Ive had one for almost a decade (and had EN for longer than that).  But, I dont yet have longer experience with DT so that remains to be seen.

Worth saying that Ive opted to use Obsidian for my general note making. Very versatile, extremely good user experience and easy to sync locally with SyncThing, so I dont need to use their own cloud services. Im using across Mac, WIn10 and Android and it works beautifully.