Sync problems - again and again...:-(

Hi there!

I know that sync problems are an often seen issue with Evernote - nonetheless I'm unwilling to accept it, esp. since being a premium customer.

I mainly use the web and the android client but a few weeks ago I also installed the windows client. From the very beginning on I had syncing issues. It syncs and after a certain time an error message came up. Until now it helped to sync a few times after another. Not so today...I tried to sync a dozen times but still the error occurs. As far as I see there a no logs to be opened from within the software.

I logged off and even reinstalled the software - without any access.

Any hint?

Thank you very much!

• Level 5*

I mainly use the web and the android client but a few weeks ago I also installed the windows client. From the very beginning on I had syncing issues. It syncs and after a certain time an error message came up. Until now it helped to sync a few times after another. Not so today...I tried to sync a dozen times but still the error occurs. As far as I see there a no logs to be opened from within the software.

In the Windows client? Help / Activity Log.

I am having the same problem since updating to Windows 5.7.1. Support acknowledged a bug, but then closed my ticket with only the suggestion that I watch for future updates and use the web version of Evernote in the interim. This is not acceptable. I hoped for more help as a premium subscriber.

Indeed, that's not acceptable at all...

I found the log but I can't see any real problems. The last lines are:

"17:24:28 [1292] 100% Submitting a batch of 19 note calls, size=31.7MB

17:25:00 [1292] 100% No more data to read.
17:25:06 [4196] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
17:25:06 [4196] * 19 items received
17:25:06 [4196] * elapsed time: 44s"

Let's wait and see if the support will come up with any helpful idea...
  • Level 5*

I am continuing to see lots of sync issues being reported in these forums, across all platforms.

The best way, IMO, to get Evernote's attention is for everyone who is having sync issues to make a BUG report.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

I am continuing to see lots of sync issues being reported in these forums, across all platforms.

The best way, IMO, to get Evernote's attention is for everyone who is having sync issues to make a BUG report.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

The problem is, Evernote Support acknowledges that there is a bug.  But they then inform you that they are working on it and are closing the support ticket.  I was told to watch for updates and to use the web version in the interim.  Not good.

• Level 5*

The problem is, Evernote Support acknowledges that there is a bug.  But they then inform you that they are working on it and are closing the support ticket.  I was told to watch for updates and to use the web version in the interim.  Not good.

Yeah, that is TOTALLY unacceptable.  Syncing is like saving -- it must be rock solid or the product is unusable.

In an emergency, the EN Web client is OK, but it is NOT something I can use on an ongoing basis.

I go a reply from the EN staff - but the way they described seems to be pretty complex (the database should be rebuild. Export of all notebooks, move the database etc.)

Have to take a look when there's more time. Much more time...

Same problem. Mac, iPhone and Android works without error, but the Windows client (newest version) can´t sync anymore:

20:13:17 [2424] 54% Submitting a batch of 17 note calls, size=5.7MB
20:13:39 [2424] 54% No more data to read.
20:13:41 [1016] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
20:13:41 [1016] * 10 items received
20:13:41 [1016] * elapsed time: 35s

Tried uninstall, install. But same error. On the Mac I have 135 notes, on my Windows desktop only 117.
Sometimes I have to press the sync button more times, then it worked. But now I can´t sync without error.

Please help!

Thanks!
  • Level 5*

Same problem. Mac, iPhone and Android works without error, but the Windows client (newest version) can´t sync anymore:

20:13:17 [2424] 54% Submitting a batch of 17 note calls, size=5.7MB
20:13:39 [2424] 54% No more data to read.
20:13:41 [1016] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
20:13:41 [1016] * 10 items received
20:13:41 [1016] * elapsed time: 35s

Tried uninstall, install. But same error. On the Mac I have 135 notes, on my Windows desktop only 117.
Sometimes I have to press the sync button more times, then it worked. But now I can´t sync without error.

Please help!

Thanks!

I'm not sure if this applies to your issue, but it an easy fix to try:

See:  Fix to Poodle SSL 3.0 Issue

...works for me, at least ATM. Otherwise: could be sheer coincidence because sometimes it syncs, sometimes not.

EN support told me to deinstall and reinstall ALL EN apps (android, Windows etc.) - but honestly: I can't believe that this will work.

I deleted all files in my user folder for Evernote. Then I started EN. I can see that EN creates all my notebooks, but no data in it. Sync fails again.

Sometimes I receive this error message:

[5264] Utility Store request has failed. Error: Sync failed due to unexpected problem at the service side

But I think the real problem must be this:
19:59:14 [5332] 39% Submitting a batch of 16 note calls, size=5.0MB
19:59:22 [11232] 39% No more data to read.
19:59:44 [5332] 39% No more data to read.
19:59:45 [6952] Client synchronization finished, status: failed

I've tried the suggestion by JMichael and didn't fix my problem. I've uninstalled Evernote and deleted the database. Still no joy. I am running Windows 8.1 and have IE 11, not that I am using this .. 

I really couldn't believe that Evernote uses other program to sync, which is in this case IE. What a poor design...  Not to mention they keep it quiet until the SSL 3.0 vulnerability. There is no way I will be paying for the premium membership after reading this. 

I had uninstalled Evernote from my PC and strongly considering to resort back to Google Keep or possibly back to OneNote. Too bad, I did like Evernote

Also having sync issues (Windows 7 64-bit) on a completely clean install. I uninstalled Evernote using Revo to get rid of all residual folders and registry entries, then installed it on a different drive and allowed Evernote to download all of my notes from the server by itself. I also have the POODLE fix already.

Result: 20% of my notes just refuse to sync down from the server. No reason given in the program, of course. And this is a completely clean install, as if I had put it on a new computer straight from the shop.

Evernote is great, but there's so much friction involved in using it, man. Sync issues all the time. Earlier this year I reported intermittent CTDs whenever I moved notes between notebooks, and nothing's changed and no one's gotten back to me about it. I made complaints about the touch-unfriendly non-standard UI many months ago (no drag-scrolling in notes, the scrollbars are too damn narrow) and it's actually gotten worse because newer Evernote versions now ignore Windows' scrollbar width as set in the registry. I've got six months of Premium left to observe if anything improves, but I have a feeling that this will be my last six months with Evernote.

Sync issues are really unnerving. On my Windows 7, I have tried everything - uninstalled, deleted all evernote databases, reinstalled, did Poodle fix.

Nothing seems to be working and now I have an empty Evernote box

Works perfectly on my Android device and my Win 8.1 laptop though.

Inability to sync from time to time causes serious doubts on the reliability of the system and confidence in using it anywhere anytime.

When is the next fix going to be made available ????

Sync issues are really unnerving. On my Windows 7, I have tried everything - uninstalled, deleted all evernote databases, reinstalled, did Poodle fix.

Nothing seems to be working and now I have an empty Evernote box

Works perfectly on my Android device and my Win 8.1 laptop though.

Inability to sync from time to time causes serious doubts on the reliability of the system and confidence in using it anywhere anytime.

When is the next fix going to be made available ????

And they act as though it's no big deal.  Support says "we're sorry; watch for updates" but provides no indication as to when the problem will be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the sync issue, my two windows computers had a different set of notes since more than one week. This morning the unsynced notes have appeared on both computers. I suspect the problem to be on the EN server's side.

Been unable to sync on both my Windows platforms for 12 days now due to this issue. Unacceptable and support has been slow and cumbersome. Really disappointed and now looking for an alternative (but not much available unfortunately). 

Support finally got back to me re. my sync errors, after 12 business days. Will update as the ticket progresses. So far I have reported a failure in Evernote syncing when installed in a secondary drive, and confirmed that syncing is still broken when Evernote is installed in the primary drive at the default location.

Current status as far as I'm concerned is that they acknowledge an issue with some users on a Surface Pro 3 and are working on a solution. This is a good couple of months after the problem was first reported and after a number of bug reports. Its annoying when the only reason I bought a surface pro 3 was so that I could have full evernote on a tablet (but less of an issue now I've discovered that for many things I prefer onenote). 

If this carries on they should really just announce that they don't support installations of EN on Surface Pro 3s.

Current status as far as I'm concerned is that they acknowledge an issue with some users on a Surface Pro 3 and are working on a solution. This is a good couple of months after the problem was first reported and after a number of bug reports. Its annoying when the only reason I bought a surface pro 3 was so that I could have full evernote on a tablet (but less of an issue now I've discovered that for many things I prefer onenote). 

If this carries on they should really just announce that they don't support installations of EN on Surface Pro 3s.

Same lack of support/resolution for problems syncing Windows version.  I have been unable to sync for almost a month.

I use evernote 5.72 on windows 8.1, I get many many sync error....

Then I set interval sync 5 mintes to sync, and turn on computer all day.

Result, after 2 days, sync OK...

Orther ways, Evernote suuport sent me instruction, It may be help you in some case...

" Korben D. (Evernote Support)

Dec 11 14:27

We just released a new beta version today that could potentially fix your sync error. Can you please install this version? The link is below:

http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/prerelease/Evernote_5.8.0.5952.exe

Once you have that installed, please hold down the <<control key>> and select the Help menu. Make sure that "Enable connection reuse" is not enabled. If the error is not resolved, please send me the latest activity log and I will let the engineering team know. I appreciate your patience.

Regards,
Korben D."

Every things now OK

I love evernote again..

• 11 months later...

Have you tried Centrallo?  www.centrallo.com.  Sync is immediate, no delays, cross platform.  And their CEO just told me that their Evernote note import wizard is available to anyone interested in testing it.  Send an email to support@centrallo.com.   Let me know what you think.

• Level 5*

Have you tried Centrallo?  www.centrallo.com.  Sync is immediate, no delays, cross platform.  And their CEO just told me that their Evernote note import wizard is available to anyone interested in testing it.  Send an email to support@centrallo.com.   Let me know what you think.

Hey, it's Spamerta Moll, our local Centrallo plant. Did you "just" switch from Evernote to Centrallo last year in 2013, 2014, or 2015? 

-------------------------------------------------------

http://www.xconomy.com/boston/2014/05/28/five-lessons-for-consumer-tech-startups-in-springpad-shutdown/

Roberta Moll  Cole McEwan  2 years ago

Does suck. I just switched to www.centrallo.com.

http://markcarrigan.net/2014/05/12/looking-for-an-evernote-alternative/

Robert Moll

Mark. Finally, there is another solution. Really appreciate you finding this app. I have been playing with it and it seems like such a simpler organizer than Evernote. Evernote has loyal users who know nothing else so Peter above seems like a natural hater. I used to be a user and I thought they have lost their way. Selling moleskins? Really? What do they want to be? I will test Centrallo as much as possible and get back to you with feedback. Centrallo interface looks cool on my iPhone.

http://www.tekcafe.com/technology/centrallo-app-organized-life/

Roberta Moll July 7, 2014 at 6:04 pm - Reply

Great review. Really well done. Thorough analysis that makes me want to check it out. Thank you.

Roberta Moll, on 30 Oct 2014 - 02:23 AM, said:

snapback.png

Has anyone tried Centrallo yet?  I have been using it for 6 months on my iPad and just installed their Android version.  Let's me keep notes, organize them, share, etc.  Free and definitely worth checking out.  I may not go back to EN.  www.centrallo.com

And, she is an equal opportunity spammer. The Wunderlist folks also get to enjoy her contributions to the discussions.

http://www.imore.com/wunderlist-331-brings-dropbox-support-and-fixes#comment-581411

Surprised that it took Wunderlist so long to integrate with Dropbox. I have been using this feature with Centrallo for months. Does the same thing except you don't see a separate window. I love the app.  www.centrallo.com. Free and cross platform.

It's really not very cool when paid spammers (?) from rival companies troll customer forums like this, even when the CEO is feeding them information. But, it does give us great insight into the kind of organization that Centrallo wants to be. Thanks for that! 

Roberta is right about one thing: you ought to try several apps and choose the one that best fits your use case. I just don't think you should rely on her advice/testimony.

Archived