Imported PDF in Mac Client not indexed. Is indexed and searchable on web client.

MaxWesten

Idea

I've added a couple of unindexed 1 or 2 page (unencrypted) PDF's to the Mac Evernote client(v5.7.2) on OSX 10.9(I'm a premium member).

Today I tried to search for a word that was definately there in text, but got back no results.

In inspection of the notes with the PDF's attached, it stated: "Synchronised 5 minutes ago" and "1 PDF is not indexed".

I then checked with the web-version (the new beta) of the client and it found all PDF's with the word searched for, so Evernote had the PDF's indexed allright. Searching for the text with the iPad version and the android version also return the correct results.

Forcing syncs, closing all evernote apps and starting them again don't change this.

What can I do to search for text in the desktop client succesfully and get the PDF's indexed locally too ?

4 replies to this idea

There are some weird things going on with syncing on my iMac running the latest version. I ended up exporting the note I wanted to sync, which contained a text file, a pdf, and an MP3, and importing it into my Windows laptop copy of Evernote, where it synced with no problems.

Yesterday Evernote managed to 'lose' my 3 Local notebooks. How it could do that I cannot imagine, but after an hour or two of booting from a clone and exporting the Local notebooks of a week ago, then re-importing them into my current Yosemite drive, all was well but for a note or two..

i.e. Things are a bit hairy at the moment, and I hope Evernote manages to solve the odd problems, which have been very occasional in all the years I have used it.

Sorry for rant. But it's a way of logging my problems.

• Level 5*

I've added a couple of unindexed 1 or 2 page (unencrypted) PDF's to the Mac Evernote client(v5.7.2) on OSX 10.9(I'm a premium member).

Today I tried to search for a word that was definately there in text, but got back no results.

In inspection of the notes with the PDF's attached, it stated: "Synchronised 5 minutes ago" and "1 PDF is not indexed".

I then checked with the web-version (the new beta) of the client and it found all PDF's with the word searched for, so Evernote had the PDF's indexed allright. Searching for the text with the iPad version and the android version also return the correct results.

Forcing syncs, closing all evernote apps and starting them again don't change this.

What can I do to search for text in the desktop client succesfully and get the PDF's indexed locally too ?

I've seen other reports recently from other users having issues with indexing of the PDF.

Have you tried going to the Note with the "unindexed" PDF, and doing a FIND within the Note?

If the PDF is indexed, it should get searched and find the text, if it exists.

If you are still having issues with EN Mac, then I'd suggest Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

In this case it's not a problem with th syncing per-se; it syncs to the web and notes get synced back, only the OCR metadata will not get back.

Might be an idea to open a new topic for your problems Cintra ?

Yes, you are right. I apologize for tagging on to your post in an unhelpful way. It caught my eye as one of the error messages I encountered yesterday was about the pdf file not being indexed..

Archived