Evernote for two different uses : personnal and professionnal

SvenSND

Hye all Evernote community members

I'd like to get your advice. I use evernote for two main uses : Getting Things Done, and to take notes about books or articles i study, in order to remenber things better in the future (i only have to read the note again and not the complete article)

I'd like to separate these two things (a "to do" part and "resume" part), or to have only my "Things to do" taken into account.

What would you suggest me to do ?

Best regards

• Level 5*

I would recommend you search the forum, it is replete with opinions on how to use notebooks, tags, and keywords.  

Personally, I would recommend starting with one notebook and the use of tags based upon the description above.  Work with it a while, and then adjust to your own preference.  It is easy enough to make changes once you have started.

Thanks for your answer, in fact i already have folder for my to do list, and another one with lots of subfolder for my notes. I mainly use tags for "timing" things to do urgent, week, month... I just wanted advices, but i guess i'll have to figure out myself what suits me best :D

• Level 5*

Good way to look at it.  There are many good ideas in the forums, but you definitely need to mold something that works best for you.  Good Luck!

And a small bit of advice, for clarity when posting in the forum use the terms Notebook and Stack when referring to "folders".  No folders in EN, just Notebooks which can be grouped in Stacks.  Helps avoid confusion.   :)

I'd like to get your advice. I use evernote for two main uses : Getting Things Done, and to take notes about books or articles i study, in order to remenber things better in the future (i only have to read the note again and not the complete article)

I'd like to separate these two things (a "to do" part and "resume" part), or to have only my "Things to do" taken into account.

Best regards

Hi Sven, the answer to that question is really broad!

But I take it that you want to use Evernote for Reference material and to-do's, which is all part of the GTD thing... and you want to find separation between the two... 

I have learned to be comfortable managing reference and project-related material in one app (Evernote) and tasks in another app (take your pick). When reading the GTD book, and then stumbling across Evernote - there is this sneaky feeling that Evernote was built to handle it all. It's difficult to shake that feeling... however, many people have successfully applied all of their "GTD" in Evernote... but it takes a lot of reading up and tinkering.

Here are 2 avenues worth exploring:

Daniel Gold wrote a little book on Getting Things Done in Evernote (A tag-based system):

http://www.degconsulting.net/bookstore/evernote

Here's a site with free tutorials (The Secret Weapon)... it runs you through GTD in Evernote. Many people swear by it:

http://www.thesecretweapon.org/

How do you separate the tasks VS reference material? That's the big question. My advice is just like @csihilling's... you've got to tinker and get comfortable with Evernote's general structure and find your own perspective. You need to get used to searching in different contexts... because, for example, if you're sorting all notes by "Created", "Updated" or "Title", EVERYTHING is going to be mixed... but, on the other hand, if you have set up notebook or tag contexts, you'll have a way of isolating the things you want to categorize together... because in the big picture, let's face it... everything is jumbled in there together... but the way you hone in on certain sets/ contexts of notes (reference VS tasks) is what helps you find perspective (and separation). You have to set up your own workflows over time.

A personal piece of help from my end would be a set of posts I have created on task management in Evernote. It's not the typical, classical GTD setup, but among other things, it borrows the idea of the "Tickler File" in the form of a Calendar section within a system I like to call Kanban Calendar. It has helped many people find perspective in a wide variety of apps ranging from WorkFlowy to Trello to Evernote. Even though I personally do not use Evernote for all of my GTD (task management), I have been impressed at the flexibility Evernote has in setting up a Kanban Calendar in multiple and drastically different ways. Here's the first post (I'm sure you'll stumble upon the rest):

http://www.productivitymashup.com/blog/2014/10/7/kanban-calendar-evernote-series-1-of-5

There's no two ways about it... either which way you look at it, you're going to have to do a ton of reading, research and tinkering. No shortcuts there. But, if it's a system that is going to literally manage your life, it's totally worth the hundreds of hours invested in trying to figure it out. 

• Level 5*

Best regards

As the above posters suggested, there are lots of ways to organize your Notes in Evernote.

You may want to Google "evernote organization"

This will provide lots of external articles (blogs) as well as posts within these forums.

You might also find this helpful:  The Benefit of Using Tags

Thanks for all the links you gave me, i have a lot of things to read (with the lessons i have to learn aside it could be long to read it all, but it seems very interesting).

I have made a map of my notebooks organisation to see the changes i could make

Have a nice day everyone

I'd like to thanks everyone. I bought "Evernote The Unofficial Guide to Capturing Everything and Getting Things Done" and read this along with "Te Secret Weapon" pdf guide. I'm now workin with tag, only letting a few folders left. I mainly use searches (or saved searches) to do what i need. It needs a little work on this, but thanks to you, i now use Evernote in a completly new way !!

Archived