Accessing URLs from clipped web pages

Clipping web pages is a great feature, but it's now quite tedious to get back to the original page from within the note. The old interface provided a link to the page at the top of the note (which opened in a new tab), but now it's hidden in the note info. That wouldn't be too bad, but the URL is in a text box, meaning we can't click it to go to the page - it has to be manually copied and pasted into a new tab.

Please add a faster way to get from a note to the original page!

Steve.

• Like 9

I agree. We really need a fast way to access URL links from clipped notes as was possible in the old web version.

I'm torn about the redesign. I like the new clean look, but not being able to see as many thumbnails for saved notes makes it frustrating to visually search through thousands of notes to find the one you want. Yes, I tag, heavily. Sometimes though, a visual search is easier. With the old system, when you wanted to quickly scroll through your note list, you could do so quickly. With the beta, not so much. Please incorporate a grid view with resizable thumbnails.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Can't believe this has gone - the single most important feature for me.

In fact, I thought that's what Evernote was for - clip sites, pages, articles etc and then easily be able to get back to them.

I've been a premium member for many, many years this kind of things suggests I need to find an alternative. Any suggestions? 

Can't believe this has gone - the single most important feature for me.

In fact, I thought that's what Evernote was for - clip sites, pages, articles etc and then easily be able to get back to them.

I've been a premium member for many, many years this kind of things suggests I need to find an alternative. Any suggestions? 

Hi fratony,

I just wanted to follow up with you and emphasize that this scenario is important to us and we will address the ease of access to the original URL in a future release. For now, the workaround is to click on the "i" and go to the Information Panel and copy the URL. We understand this is unideal and will be fixing this soon. Since this is still a Beta, we don't have all of the features available yet. If you'd like, you can roll back to the non-beta version of the webclient by following these instructions: 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/69003-opting-into-and-out-of-the-new-web-beta/

Nancy 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I seriously thought I was losing my mind that I was clicking on the title to the note trying to find the original url.  I simply cannot believe this feature is gone and that I now have to go into the info on the note and copy and paste - it isn't even a link?  But I actually have to copy and paste it?  How many steps exactly have been added to our workflow now?  Do you guys not actually use this product - because I am pretty sure if you did, you would have noticed how incredibly important that feature is and you would not have gotten rid of it.

It has actually reduced my desire to even use Evernote and I have been a premium member for years.

Unbelievably disappointed and kind of makes me feel like you guys are not that bright.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

Did this get fixed? I'm banging my head on the wall as that might be an easier way to recall web pages...

This will be fixed in the next release. 

- Nancy

Please make sure this is fixed in ALL platforms/clients, especially EN Mac and EN Win.

Did this get fixed? I'm banging my head on the wall as that might be an easier way to recall web pages...

- Nancy

Please make sure this is fixed in ALL platforms/clients, especially EN Mac and EN Win.

Hi JMichael, 

I can't speak for the other products, but will share the feedback to the respective teams. We will be fixing this in the web client. 

- Nancy 

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I can't believe this feature is not there. It's screwed me badly, because I thought I'd be able to get back to the original site address. Now it is lost forever.

Have to google, hope google can help me get it back. Now I can no longer trust evernote to save important web pages from my iPhone

• Level 5*
On 2016-10-12 at 08:24, Andy-SA said:

I can't believe this feature is not there. It's screwed me badly, because I thought I'd be able to get back to the original site address. Now it is lost forever.

Have to google, hope google can help me get it back. Now I can no longer trust evernote to save important web pages from my iPhone

As per @squaregoldfish, you can click on INFO and see the url

IMG_1402.PNG

• 1 year later...

Hi Evernote Team,

Can you at least provide the option to see the source URL at the top or bottom of the note ... say in the settings? I don't want to click on info and then see the source URL, it wastes the time as I have to click on source urls a lot. Please help. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
23 hours ago, kinshuk4 said:

Hi Evernote Team,

Can you at least provide the option to see the source URL at the top or bottom of the note ... say in the settings? I don't want to click on info and then see the source URL, it wastes the time as I have to click on source urls a lot. Please help. Thanks.

I see the source URL displayed at the top-right of the note panel, when the editing tools are not displayed. This is in the newer web client, btw. In the older web client, it was in the info link; but the old web client doesn't appear to be under active development as far as I can tell.

• 1 year later...

So 5 years on since the introduction of the new interface and this is still not fixed!!!!!!!!!

Come on evernote team, you have to be kidding me.

This is a really important feature that you have taken away.  Please put it back.

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

Hope to reignite this.

What is the problem with putting the source as a clickable link on the note page??? We're now at 6 years.

The new interface and destruction of the Windows desktop client were among the many reasons I quit paying for Evernote after several years of doing so. It was my main note taking and organizational tool, but you forced me to go look for other options, which I have found. Many are much more interesting than anything added here, but I have so many notes still in your system that I still come back every so often to see if anything has improved.

And now checking back in, it appears you really don't have any desire to make this product usable anymore. A simple request from many, many clients over SIX YEARS, but I guess it just wouldn't fit with the UI department's new layout. Clean is fine, but not if it comes at the expense of usability. I guess I'll start paying when you actually act like you're paying attention to the clients again. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

There's a request posted at the link below   
To indicate support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

• Level 5

Welcome (back) to the Evernote forums. As you may know, these are user-to-user forums, not a reliable way of addressing Evernote directly. Evidently this issue has not made Evernote unusable for enough people that they would add it back in yet. The "many" reports here are not actually that many on a scale of the millions of Evernote users.

In the Windows desktop client, I find that there is a clickable link at the top of a note clipped from the Web. In the Web beta, OTOH, it is indeed a pain to get at: 3-dots menu, Note info, and then a non-clickable text box. Perhaps the thinking is that the page is clipped, so the need to get back to it is minimal. I only speculate about that, and obviously for some purposes, such as checking frequently for updates to the page, that won't be true.

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2015 at 6:04 PM, nanphan said:

- Nancy

Well here we are in 2020 @Nancy is that next release ready yet ?

in  the "new" interface to go to the hyperlink of notes that were added using the web clipper it now takes 5 steps :
Click the 3 dots in the top right
Click note info
Click in the url field
Press control A to select the whole link
then right click to select the option to go to that link 

on the previous version it is just displayed in the top right hand corner and you can click on it!

Hey that is so much easier isn't it NOT!!!!

Come on evernote - do you note read what your users are saying any more ?

Well, if I'm right, evernote has allready added a kind of mini-fix to this issue:

Meanwhile you (mostly/often/allways?!?) get a link to the source-page in the top of the content from a clipped page.
This link may be hidden in the non reformatted content-preview as long you don't click on the wizzard icon for reformating.

But I'm with all of you: this ist not a real fix and no permanent and satisfying solution for our above written needs".

This content-link is often not visible and can easily be deleted by accident or by mistake.
An editabe and direct functional link in a separate field is far better...

• 2 months later...

For the Windows 10 desktop app:

To find the URL of the original webpage in a clipped note, select the note then go to Note in the main menu, then click 'View note info'. Alternatively, use the keyboard shortcut CTRL + SHIFT + I

You can then click the icon to the right of the URL to open the original page (if it still exists)

WARNING: if you use this to copy the URL, take care not to inadvertently cut or delete the URL 😬

I assume it's similar for macs 

Screenshot 2020-11-21 172645.jpg

• 4 months later...

I am so pleased to see that after 6 years this facility is back in the new web version of evernote, front and centre at the top right hand of your note.

They suddenly seem to be listening to their users again and fixing the things that they have left broken in the past.

Thanks Evernote team!