Duplicate notes, then disappeared after cleanup

kmpa

Not sure if I'm posting this note in the right place, so let me know if I should move it.

I had a note that I edited frequently.  Somehow, three copies of it with slightly different info appeared in my notebook.  A few days ago, I decided to reconcile them and consolidate all current info into one note.  I deleted the two extra versions.  Now I can't see any of the three notes.  (I must have emptied the trash, although I don't remember doing so, because nothing is there either.)

First of all - what caused the duplicates... and secondly, anyway to recover the missing copy?  It seemed to be there when I finished my editing and closed Evernote the other day. 

I use Evernote on a Windows laptop at work, a Mac at home, and a couple iOS devices.  The edits were made on my work computer.  If that makes a difference...

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Not sure, but it sounds like you had a note conflict, perhaps caused by editing the note on one platform and a sync not occurring before it was edited on another platform.  If the notes are gone from trash, I don't know of a way to get it back unless you have a backup of sort.  Obviously, if you do have a backup get it from there.  

Should this occur again, create an ENEX backup of all the notes before you do the cleanup, and even of the fixed note right after the cleanup if you want belts and suspenders.  Also, be sure and sync when you leave a platform.

• Level 5*

I had a note that I edited frequently.  Somehow, three copies of it with slightly different info appeared in my notebook.  A few days ago, I decided to reconcile them and consolidate all current info into one note.  I deleted the two extra versions.  Now I can't see any of the three notes.  (I must have emptied the trash, although I don't remember doing so, because nothing is there either.)

First of all - what caused the duplicates... and secondly, anyway to recover the missing copy?  It seemed to be there when I finished my editing and closed Evernote the other day. 

I use Evernote on a Windows laptop at work, a Mac at home, and a couple iOS devices.  The edits were made on my work computer.  If that makes a difference...

Sometimes Evernote will think you have made an edit when you only clicked into the Note body.

Conflicts are almost always generated when the same note is edited on different EN clients when a proper sync was not executed prior to the edit.

One would hope that Evernote would automatically perform syncs to prevent this, but in fact it doesn't always do so.

So, I have developed sync best practices to prevent conflicts and data loss.

I have developed a habit that helps me avoid 99% of sync issues:

1. Manually sync, and sync often.  Don't rely on the autosync.
  2. Always manually sync after:
    1. Entry/Edit of an important Note
    2. The end of each session
    3. The end of each day
    4. You're finished with one device, and want to switch to another device
    5. You first start using another device
  3. For important work, view the Notes on the other device to make sure all Notes are sync'd BEFORE you make an edits.
  4. Backup important and hard-to-replace Notes. 

Archived