• Announcements

• gbarry

Reach out to Evernote support on Twitter @EvernoteHelps   09/20/2016

We've been leveling up our support across all channels. If you're active on Twitter, try your hand with our @evernotehelps feed. It's helmed by a crack team out of Austin, TX who are here to answer your questions. They're generally active from 7am-4pm CST.  https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  
JDACE

ios Recent Penultimate Upgrade. Why fix something that isn't broken!

BDLyles    5

I agree! Up until yesterday, I was always so amazed by this app... And

My main complaint is the inability to easily flip through pages. I liked the simulation of an actual spiral notebook, and thought I had found a digital replacement for that feel. However, now you've taken it away, and with no warning. Do I have to go back to paper? How many other baby boomers have you now alienated away from this app by trying to make it "intuitive" only to your developers.

Brian

• Like 4

I agree entirely. I couldn't take any notes yesterday. I had to get out my paper notepad out which I normally never use.

Luckily I managed to revert to the older version today. Now I have to switch off automatic updates until PenUltimate wakes up and reverts to the old way or chases all it's loyal followers away.

• Like 3

Imagine my irritation: I actually DO subscribe to the Evernote premium service and have been very actively trying to get our whole university department to get an enterprise license. Everyone always asked about this awesome app that I used to take notes during seminars and meetings. With one swift update, Evernote has ruined one of my most important work tools. Thanks a lot, and thanks also for asking your customers what they actually wanted from an update... Oh wait...

• Like 5

Rens175    5

+ 1 !!!

Imagine the frustration....I was proud of this App everyone was jealous of, during meetings!...Not anymore!

The auto-update synch during...a meeting...  :(  :angry:

What have you done guys? Really, you've done beta test? 

Reading all topics, I'm honestly surprise of how many people have been addicted to this app, changing their way of taking notes and way of work. Thanks to the previous App.

This means and shows me, that there are professional people working in your team guys, and with all my respect the most professional move you can do is,

admitting the situation, admitting the mistake and taking lesson of it.

You can still get out of this "V6.0 penultigate" positively by making a step back, listening to your customers and answering their need threw a new campaign of "how would you upgrade this awesome App". (V5 of course).

For sure the result would be brilliant if all this people writing their disappointment would write their need/though with Evernote answering this needs.

The communication around that move would grew you up, for sure!

Finally, It's my first post on the forum and I've created it only to write my concerned...like most of you gents!

Lucky me, I've been able to go back to V5 but had to re-write few notes lost somewhere I'll never know...

I'm now gonna watch this forum and keep finger crossed for an Evernote positive action.

If not...to the App designer all around the world  "We are here, waiting for a copy & paste of V5 penultimate App"!

• Like 3

chrismbo    3

How bad is this update? I decided to JAILBREAK my iPad mini just so i can install version 5.3 (can't find previous version 5.3.1 iPa anywhere), this is how AWEFUL this update is!

It seems like the new update has the stylus in mind forcing people to buy...

Anyway, I installed 5.3 which is working fine expect that I can't seem to import photos from my albums, everything else just like the previous 5.3.1 version.

Evernote should revert back to the previous version!!! That felt more like a real notebook with pages that flip, writing was smooth and quick, controls are easy to find and use, this one is just God-aweful!!!

• Like 1

aburnstorm    23

I agree! Up until yesterday, I was always so amazed by this app... And

My main complaint is the inability to easily flip through pages. I liked the simulation of an actual spiral notebook, and thought I had found a digital replacement for that feel. However, now you've taken it away, and with no warning. Do I have to go back to paper? How many other baby boomers have you now alienated away from this app by trying to make it "intuitive" only to your developers.

Brian

Not just baby boomers. How many out there who write have you alienated. Darn it evernote. Those of us who are not boomers don't hate your new app because we 'don't get these new technologies'... We still know when a new tech sucks compared to the old one.

• Like 2

I usually dont post much but i registered here just to agree to this post.

The prepatch app was great, i used it alot. The new 6.x version is not great anymore! It's complicate to use.

You took away the best features of the app and made something new, but now it is just... crappy! I just cant find another word for it.

Why take away the easy page switching?

Why take away the easy way to look at the whole note where you can delete single pages easily?

Why ist the performance overall now so f.... slow? The writing with a pen is not responsive anymore.

Again, i just registered to tell you that you did wrong with the 6.x version.

It's one of the few apps i deleted from my iPad and now i use something else.

traverridge    4

I just read above that I can only make 2 more posts.... Holy ***** I would reduce that down if I was Evernote as this update is killing your company.

What an idiotic move...

The old app worked, perhaps a facelift, I.e. New colours and leave it at that. What they managed to do was grab the app shove it up their asses and then ***** it back out as a steaming pile of *****.

NormalNote    1

I wholeheartedly agree. I had slowly become more fond of penultimate; the previous version was good but had some issues. As a result I was excited about the upgrade- until I tried it. One world- terrible.

More words- I basically can't write in it anymore. The zoom window is so small as to be more or less unusable- part of what I do is sketch figures and ideas. I can't do it in the unzoomed window because things look like a mess when I try. The "continuous scroll" is a good idea with terrible implementation. For whatever reason, the app kept jumping me up pages; I'd be working at the end of my document and then suddenly find myself back on page 3. Then I need to scroll...scroll...scroll...until I get back to where I was. And the lag. Oh the lag. And they said offset was fixed! I have two stylii, the Jot Pro and the Jot Touch. Both are miserable to use.

The end result is that I'm completely stopping my use of Penultimate and Evernote until this is fixed. Really, it's just unworkable.

• Like 1

kld1956    2

I agree enthusiastically with all of the comments. With all my years of software UI testing experience, I scratch my head and wonder – did anyone at Evernote, in any meeting, suggest, "Why don't we just change the color and maybe the icons, and leave everything pretty much as it is, functionally?"

This version is a giant leap backward. Before, when I wanted to get around the pages in a notebook, I tapped the thumbnails icon, found my page, and double-tapped. Now it's scroll up, up, up, up...oops, too far...scroll down, down, etc. Very clunky.

When I wanted to erase something, I tapped on the eraser icon and errased. Now, I have to expand the toolbar, then select eraser. Yes, I know it's only one extra step. The point is – Evernote made using Penultimate harder to use, which is the opposite goal of any upgrade.

At least I didn't waste money for it. It's a shame.

Word to the wise: Turn off automatic updating. Review updates before installing.

• Like 1

tonyCDD    4

I agree with you totally. I just registered for the forum only so I can reply to your post.

Penultimate was the most used of all my iPad apps. It did everything I wanted it to. Today I was in an important client meeting and when I opened the app it was unusable. I even had to ask my client for a note pad and pen and you can imagine how professional that made me feel.

How can any business think that completely changing an app then giving no instructions on how to use it is in any way sensible. I can only think that its simply to encourage us to sign on to a 'free account' which no doubt will lead to $$$ somewhere down the track.

I don't even object to paying a fee... I certainly value the app enough to make it justified. But I won't use an app that apparently now only works effectively if all my notes get stored on Evernote's cloud server. There is too much sensitive information in my notes and I don't care what companies say about the security of their servers... having the info in the cloud just creates one more security vulnerability.

On principle I won't sign on because of the underhanded, unprofessional and downright sly way they've gone about this. Not to mention embarrasing me in front of important clients. I'll be deleting penultimate from my iPad and going back to paper and pen until I find an alternative app.

You guys (Evernote) SUCK!

• Like 2

MWRu    1

Let me add my voice.  I have never posted before either, anywhere. Penultimate filled a need.  It was great. It was intuitive and within minutes I was using it for all my notes - I had a dozen notebooks going and people everywhere were asking  me about this fantastic app.

This should go down in history as the classical example of completely ignoring your customers needs and "upgrading" an app according to some app developer's vision of what they THINK we SHOULD need. 

Goodbye Evernote/penultimate. 

I endorse all of the comments made by the initiator of this thread.  

I am handing this one over to IT teachers at my university as the horror example  - its perfect - the commercial pressure to develop (presumably applied by some gungho excuse for a manager), and to develop for the sake of development alone, ruins a great product.

• Like 1

Tippis    45

Let me add my voice.  I have never posted before either, anywhere. Penultimate filled a need.  It was great. It was intuitive and within minutes I was using it for all my notes - I had a dozen notebooks going and people everywhere were asking  me about this fantastic app.

This should go down in history as the classical example of completely ignoring your customers needs and "upgrading" an app according to some app developer's vision of what they THINK we SHOULD need. 

Goodbye Evernote/penultimate. 

I endorse all of the comments made by the initiator of this thread.  

I am handing this one over to IT teachers at my university as the horror example  - its perfect - the commercial pressure to develop (presumably applied by some gungho excuse for a manager), and to develop for the sake of development alone, ruins a great product.

It's an old one at this point, but you could probably include this gem: Things You Should Never Do, Part I as well, since it talks about some of the internal pressures to rewrite from scratch when it's often the worst thing you can ever do.

Note the date — April 2000. And here we are, almost a decade and a half later, and people are still doing the same basic mistakes.

CGTheSlug    0

Like others I have never posted here and am doing so because it was so painfully obvious that something terrible has happened. And because there was no way to provide feedback via the app (dumb) and no ticket generating system (also dumb) I am forced to the forums where angry voices go unheard. I'm a student (in computer science none the less and I could make a better app than this) and heavily use this app to take notes. I have gone near completely paperless and that is very much so because of the app. Until it was updated. To put it in short this app is no longer useable. There are so many obvious bugs is disgraceful to think fellow programmers released such a buggy build. This app is broken plain and simple. But what's really disappointing is the new design, functionality has been replaced with visual eye candy and that is again disgraceful for any designer. It's like you guys are trying to be Notability and somehow concluded that being a worse version of Notability so long as you look a little sleeker and minimalistic. I need this app to be fixed. Now. I have finals coming up and I can't deal with this bullshit. Fix it. 

1960Owen    0

This is also my first post - I agree with everything that has been said.  I (used to) rely heavily on penultimate in my business and used Evernote Premium to back-up the data (which has also not been working for almost a year). V6 has totally destroyed the functionality of the product. 

1960Owen    0

This is also my first post - I agree with everything that has been said.  I (used to) rely heavily on penultimate in my business and used Evernote Premium to back-up the data (which has also not been working for almost a year). V6 has totally destroyed the functionality of the product. 

And yet, another guy that took some time off his life to create a forum account to join this thread.

I gotta say. The new app is just bad. The last one was perfect. It had some glitches, but they were glitches. This version is seriously broken.

If only there was a way to revert to update.

WORST UPDATE EVER! who thinks of these things and thinks they would be good? I even went so far as to buy the JotPro stylus thinking that would improve my notes.

But NO!!! Please revert back. This is just terrible. I want all of my organized books back. I don't want scrolled pages. I like organized. Please fix this.

I'm purchasing GoodNote now to see if it's better. Nice job design team.

barbara p    0

I could just cry.  I'd like to add my voice to all the others expressed in this forum about my unhappiness with the so-called upgrade.  I loved the old Penultimate as it allowed me to grab my iPad and write on it as if it were real paper and pencil.  No more.  Not only are my previous notebooks wrecked by being changed into scrolls, but it is nearly impossible to use to write on.  I am not finding the scissors icon at all -- so how can I move text around?  I agree with all the other comments about the zoom box being annoying and liked the semi-transparency of zoom previously.   The previous version of Penultimate had a nearly perfect UI model, albeit with a few bugs.  The new UI model represents the destruction of that intuitive UI model.  It's a shame.  Please, please, please bring back the old Penultimate, 5.3.

faztrainer    4

I've held off on commenting on my initial reaction to this update to ensure I was giving it a fair shake. As of today, I will not be taking any more hand written notes using penultimate as I spend more time erasing marks made by my hand than I do writing text. The page is also constantly zooming or moving, making it impossible to focus on what I'm writing. These issues were not present with the previous version. I also think the switch to scrolling pages is a mess. The page break isn't always apparent and sometime my text is split between two pages. I have also not been able to figure out how to add a page before pages already in my note (Big disappointment!). I guess in the meantime, I will go back to my previous note taking tool and pull those files into my EN library until you fix this. #DisappointedEvernoteFan

markeriv    0

+1.

This embarrassed me in the middle of a presentation to the full board of directors... I appear to have lost all of my notebooks. Color me mortified.

I have gone from toting my ipad around the office to make notes to going back to a pen and paper.

It is a very very sad day.

Anyone know if there is a way to get the old version back without having to jailbreak an ipad? 

JDACE    15

Dear who ever is in charge at Evernote,

I'm actually surprised by the quick response you provided to all of us out here that loved using Penultimate. Please let me extend my thanks to you for both for responding to us and trying to repair the really screwed up app upgrade. Unfortunately your repairs clearly don't go far enough.

Several people pointed out in this thread glitches and loss of functions that I didn't even notice when I first started this thread. Thank you, You've actually gone in and added some things back in that were taken out but, the MOST important thing about Penultimate is that it's a writing app. The problem that clearly is not being addressed is that the ability to write has actually gotten worse and still hasn't been improved.

Side note: I actually purchased a jot script stylus from Evernote when I used the old version Penultimate app. I found it wrote no better than a $5 stylus from Amazon, so I returned the jot script to Evernote. If this new version app can only operate properly with the jot script then I tnk you should be up front about that because clearly it doesn't work well any longer with a basic stylus. I wish I could post my iPad screen shot on here so you could see what it looks like but I'm not that tech savvy and honestly I have a life. The only reason I'm writing this additional reply to this thread is because I think you may actually care about the people who use your app.

In summary there may still be other issues in the app and there may not be but none of that means anything if I can't simply open the app up and easily write in it like I used too. Can you understand this. Upgrades are not upgrades if they make things harder to use. The purpose of Penultimate for me was ease of use when taking notes for business and for my personal journal. I'm no longer able to read what I'm writing.

Sorry guys it's still broken!

JD

gamildesign    0

+1 this was a huge disappointment and honestly sophomoric approach with existing customers. Just call it a new product but not a new version. This was as bad as Basecamp vs Basecamp Classic.

Shopping for a new handwriting app now.