Recent Penultimate Upgrade. Why fix something that isn't broken!

JDACE

I never write in pretty much any forum but I am seriously annoyed.  Granted I use penultimate for free but you guys definitely figured out a great way to dissuade me from upgrading to a paid account on Evernote.  I can't imagine anyone of consequence will actually read this but I just had to say something.  My business is real estate and I used penultimate for every meeting.  Whether it was with a client, seminar or teaching session I used penultimate all the time.  So my question is...

Why fix something that isn't broken?  When I opened my penultimate app today I was greeted with an upgrade.  Now, normally I like upgrades but what the heck guys what were you guys thinking.  I finally had things functioning right and then you go and change the entire thing.  Here are the issues I'm having with the upgrade.  By the way the fact that I can list so many of them sort of says to me that to much was changed to quickly.

1. First and foremost you provided no Instruction on how to use your upgrade.  People do read and I would've read something instead of stumbling about trying to figure it out.  If you did provide it somewhere on the app an easy way to get to it would be nice.
  2. All my journals/notebooks were combined into one Notebook. Why wouldn't you simply make all the old notebooks separate notebooks in the new upgrade.
  3. I had to go onto Evernote online to separate notebooks back into different notebooks.
  4. On the old app several key functions were easily accessible on the main screen but no more.  Now I actually have to take more time to open the menu to select everything from ink color, eraser to the back function or what ever you call that.  I saw the note say that you're creating a cleaner surface.  Guess what I'll sacrifice a cleaner surface for ease of use any day of the week.
  5. Expanding the window feature...Very, Very Frustrating!!!  Before I could expand and write while the screen moved easily to the right.  Again you changed a simple and smooth function and made it more complex for some reason.  When I finally got it to expand I figured it may work similarly to the way it did before...nope, wrong again.  I had to tap on a play icon to get it to move.  While the box move I started writing the text but it doesn't write anywhere near as clearly as it did on your old app version.  In fact the text in any sized pen point is almost unreadable. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but without instructions how can I tell.  
  6. Actually trying to expand the window is very choppy!  The action of spreading fingers aprt to expand in my opinion was much smoother on the old version.
  7. The Expanded window won't register my writing!!!  I just tried expanding the window and now it won't even register what I'm writing.
  8. Using the eraser on the expanded mode is pointless!  You made it so I can only use the eraser directly on the expanded mode section and not on the smaller writing area above.  The problem with this is that what I need to erase has past by already in the small expanded area.  Granted the old version you had to zoom in and out to erase but at least you could do this with ease.
  9. Choppy, Choppy, and more Choppy!  Scrolling up and down is...dare I say it, choppy.
  10. Your App is preventing me from organizing my Notebooks in the order I want them.  At least before the last notebook I used was right at the beginning so I could easily get to it.  Now I have to scroll to the bottom to get my most important notebook.
  11. Writing Sucks!!!  Writing in your new version is horrible.  Just to make sure I tried writing both in and out of the expanded version.  The text is sloppy and unreadable.  Now don't even tell me it's me because I have a tons of old notes that I wrote that are crisp and clear.
  12. The New Version Freezes.  It just froze on me two times in just over ten minutes.

I could go on a little bit more but I need to get back to work. The old version wasn't perfect but at least it was smooth and simple.  Technology should make my your day more efficient but you've proven this idea wrong.  This update is not user friendly...in my humble opinion.  By the way an easy to get to help screen with instructions would be nice. 

Thank you for your work on the previous app version of Penultimate.  I enjoyed using it thoroughly and found it highly useful.  I will now be going back to using tablet paper and keep my eye out for a good, quality writing app.  I may end up switching away from apple to go to some other type of tablet.

Sincerely,

JD

I agree! Up until yesterday, I was always so amazed by this app... And

My main complaint is the inability to easily flip through pages. I liked the simulation of an actual spiral notebook, and thought I had found a digital replacement for that feel. However, now you've taken it away, and with no warning. Do I have to go back to paper? How many other baby boomers have you now alienated away from this app by trying to make it "intuitive" only to your developers.

Brian

I agree entirely. I couldn't take any notes yesterday. I had to get out my paper notepad out which I normally never use.

Luckily I managed to revert to the older version today. Now I have to switch off automatic updates until PenUltimate wakes up and reverts to the old way or chases all it's loyal followers away.

Imagine my irritation: I actually DO subscribe to the Evernote premium service and have been very actively trying to get our whole university department to get an enterprise license. Everyone always asked about this awesome app that I used to take notes during seminars and meetings. With one swift update, Evernote has ruined one of my most important work tools. Thanks a lot, and thanks also for asking your customers what they actually wanted from an update... Oh wait...

+ 1 !!!

Imagine the frustration....I was proud of this App everyone was jealous of, during meetings!...Not anymore!

The auto-update synch during...a meeting...  :(  :angry:

What have you done guys? Really, you've done beta test? 

Reading all topics, I'm honestly surprise of how many people have been addicted to this app, changing their way of taking notes and way of work. Thanks to the previous App.

This means and shows me, that there are professional people working in your team guys, and with all my respect the most professional move you can do is,

admitting the situation, admitting the mistake and taking lesson of it.

You can still get out of this "V6.0 penultigate" positively by making a step back, listening to your customers and answering their need threw a new campaign of "how would you upgrade this awesome App". (V5 of course).

For sure the result would be brilliant if all this people writing their disappointment would write their need/though with Evernote answering this needs.

The communication around that move would grew you up, for sure!

Finally, It's my first post on the forum and I've created it only to write my concerned...like most of you gents!

Lucky me, I've been able to go back to V5 but had to re-write few notes lost somewhere I'll never know...

I'm now gonna watch this forum and keep finger crossed for an Evernote positive action.

If not...to the App designer all around the world  "We are here, waiting for a copy & paste of V5 penultimate App"!

How bad is this update? I decided to JAILBREAK my iPad mini just so i can install version 5.3 (can't find previous version 5.3.1 iPa anywhere), this is how AWEFUL this update is!

It seems like the new update has the stylus in mind forcing people to buy...

Anyway, I installed 5.3 which is working fine expect that I can't seem to import photos from my albums, everything else just like the previous 5.3.1 version.

Evernote should revert back to the previous version!!! That felt more like a real notebook with pages that flip, writing was smooth and quick, controls are easy to find and use, this one is just God-aweful!!!

I agree! Up until yesterday, I was always so amazed by this app... And

My main complaint is the inability to easily flip through pages. I liked the simulation of an actual spiral notebook, and thought I had found a digital replacement for that feel. However, now you've taken it away, and with no warning. Do I have to go back to paper? How many other baby boomers have you now alienated away from this app by trying to make it "intuitive" only to your developers.

Brian

Not just baby boomers. How many out there who write have you alienated. Darn it evernote. Those of us who are not boomers don't hate your new app because we 'don't get these new technologies'... We still know when a new tech sucks compared to the old one.

I usually dont post much but i registered here just to agree to this post.

The prepatch app was great, i used it alot. The new 6.x version is not great anymore! It's complicate to use.

You took away the best features of the app and made something new, but now it is just... crappy! I just cant find another word for it.

Why take away the easy page switching?

Why take away the easy way to look at the whole note where you can delete single pages easily?

Why ist the performance overall now so f.... slow? The writing with a pen is not responsive anymore.

Again, i just registered to tell you that you did wrong with the 6.x version.

It's one of the few apps i deleted from my iPad and now i use something else.

I just read above that I can only make 2 more posts.... Holy ***** I would reduce that down if I was Evernote as this update is killing your company.

What an idiotic move...

The old app worked, perhaps a facelift, I.e. New colours and leave it at that. What they managed to do was grab the app shove it up their asses and then ***** it back out as a steaming pile of *****.

I wholeheartedly agree. I had slowly become more fond of penultimate; the previous version was good but had some issues. As a result I was excited about the upgrade- until I tried it. One world- terrible.

More words- I basically can't write in it anymore. The zoom window is so small as to be more or less unusable- part of what I do is sketch figures and ideas. I can't do it in the unzoomed window because things look like a mess when I try. The "continuous scroll" is a good idea with terrible implementation. For whatever reason, the app kept jumping me up pages; I'd be working at the end of my document and then suddenly find myself back on page 3. Then I need to scroll...scroll...scroll...until I get back to where I was. And the lag. Oh the lag. And they said offset was fixed! I have two stylii, the Jot Pro and the Jot Touch. Both are miserable to use.

The end result is that I'm completely stopping my use of Penultimate and Evernote until this is fixed. Really, it's just unworkable.

I agree enthusiastically with all of the comments. With all my years of software UI testing experience, I scratch my head and wonder – did anyone at Evernote, in any meeting, suggest, "Why don't we just change the color and maybe the icons, and leave everything pretty much as it is, functionally?"

This version is a giant leap backward. Before, when I wanted to get around the pages in a notebook, I tapped the thumbnails icon, found my page, and double-tapped. Now it's scroll up, up, up, up...oops, too far...scroll down, down, etc. Very clunky.

When I wanted to erase something, I tapped on the eraser icon and errased. Now, I have to expand the toolbar, then select eraser. Yes, I know it's only one extra step. The point is – Evernote made using Penultimate harder to use, which is the opposite goal of any upgrade.

At least I didn't waste money for it. It's a shame.

Word to the wise: Turn off automatic updating. Review updates before installing.

I agree with you totally. I just registered for the forum only so I can reply to your post.

Penultimate was the most used of all my iPad apps. It did everything I wanted it to. Today I was in an important client meeting and when I opened the app it was unusable. I even had to ask my client for a note pad and pen and you can imagine how professional that made me feel.

How can any business think that completely changing an app then giving no instructions on how to use it is in any way sensible. I can only think that its simply to encourage us to sign on to a 'free account' which no doubt will lead to $$$ somewhere down the track.

I don't even object to paying a fee... I certainly value the app enough to make it justified. But I won't use an app that apparently now only works effectively if all my notes get stored on Evernote's cloud server. There is too much sensitive information in my notes and I don't care what companies say about the security of their servers... having the info in the cloud just creates one more security vulnerability.

On principle I won't sign on because of the underhanded, unprofessional and downright sly way they've gone about this. Not to mention embarrasing me in front of important clients. I'll be deleting penultimate from my iPad and going back to paper and pen until I find an alternative app.

You guys (Evernote) SUCK!

Let me add my voice.  I have never posted before either, anywhere. Penultimate filled a need.  It was great. It was intuitive and within minutes I was using it for all my notes - I had a dozen notebooks going and people everywhere were asking  me about this fantastic app.

This should go down in history as the classical example of completely ignoring your customers needs and "upgrading" an app according to some app developer's vision of what they THINK we SHOULD need. 

Goodbye Evernote/penultimate. 

I endorse all of the comments made by the initiator of this thread.  

I am handing this one over to IT teachers at my university as the horror example  - its perfect - the commercial pressure to develop (presumably applied by some gungho excuse for a manager), and to develop for the sake of development alone, ruins a great product.

Let me add my voice.  I have never posted before either, anywhere. Penultimate filled a need.  It was great. It was intuitive and within minutes I was using it for all my notes - I had a dozen notebooks going and people everywhere were asking  me about this fantastic app.

This should go down in history as the classical example of completely ignoring your customers needs and "upgrading" an app according to some app developer's vision of what they THINK we SHOULD need. 

Goodbye Evernote/penultimate. 

I endorse all of the comments made by the initiator of this thread.  

I am handing this one over to IT teachers at my university as the horror example  - its perfect - the commercial pressure to develop (presumably applied by some gungho excuse for a manager), and to develop for the sake of development alone, ruins a great product.

It's an old one at this point, but you could probably include this gem: Things You Should Never Do, Part I as well, since it talks about some of the internal pressures to rewrite from scratch when it's often the worst thing you can ever do.

Note the date — April 2000. And here we are, almost a decade and a half later, and people are still doing the same basic mistakes.

Like others I have never posted here and am doing so because it was so painfully obvious that something terrible has happened. And because there was no way to provide feedback via the app (dumb) and no ticket generating system (also dumb) I am forced to the forums where angry voices go unheard. I'm a student (in computer science none the less and I could make a better app than this) and heavily use this app to take notes. I have gone near completely paperless and that is very much so because of the app. Until it was updated. To put it in short this app is no longer useable. There are so many obvious bugs is disgraceful to think fellow programmers released such a buggy build. This app is broken plain and simple. But what's really disappointing is the new design, functionality has been replaced with visual eye candy and that is again disgraceful for any designer. It's like you guys are trying to be Notability and somehow concluded that being a worse version of Notability so long as you look a little sleeker and minimalistic. I need this app to be fixed. Now. I have finals coming up and I can't deal with this bullshit. Fix it. 

This is also my first post - I agree with everything that has been said.  I (used to) rely heavily on penultimate in my business and used Evernote Premium to back-up the data (which has also not been working for almost a year). V6 has totally destroyed the functionality of the product. 

This is also my first post - I agree with everything that has been said.  I (used to) rely heavily on penultimate in my business and used Evernote Premium to back-up the data (which has also not been working for almost a year). V6 has totally destroyed the functionality of the product. 

And yet, another guy that took some time off his life to create a forum account to join this thread.

I gotta say. The new app is just bad. The last one was perfect. It had some glitches, but they were glitches. This version is seriously broken.

If only there was a way to revert to update.

WORST UPDATE EVER! who thinks of these things and thinks they would be good? I even went so far as to buy the JotPro stylus thinking that would improve my notes.

But NO!!! Please revert back. This is just terrible. I want all of my organized books back. I don't want scrolled pages. I like organized. Please fix this.

I'm purchasing GoodNote now to see if it's better. Nice job design team.

I could just cry.  I'd like to add my voice to all the others expressed in this forum about my unhappiness with the so-called upgrade.  I loved the old Penultimate as it allowed me to grab my iPad and write on it as if it were real paper and pencil.  No more.  Not only are my previous notebooks wrecked by being changed into scrolls, but it is nearly impossible to use to write on.  I am not finding the scissors icon at all -- so how can I move text around?  I agree with all the other comments about the zoom box being annoying and liked the semi-transparency of zoom previously.   The previous version of Penultimate had a nearly perfect UI model, albeit with a few bugs.  The new UI model represents the destruction of that intuitive UI model.  It's a shame.  Please, please, please bring back the old Penultimate, 5.3.

I've held off on commenting on my initial reaction to this update to ensure I was giving it a fair shake. As of today, I will not be taking any more hand written notes using penultimate as I spend more time erasing marks made by my hand than I do writing text. The page is also constantly zooming or moving, making it impossible to focus on what I'm writing. These issues were not present with the previous version. I also think the switch to scrolling pages is a mess. The page break isn't always apparent and sometime my text is split between two pages. I have also not been able to figure out how to add a page before pages already in my note (Big disappointment!). I guess in the meantime, I will go back to my previous note taking tool and pull those files into my EN library until you fix this. #DisappointedEvernoteFan

+1.

This embarrassed me in the middle of a presentation to the full board of directors... I appear to have lost all of my notebooks. Color me mortified.

I have gone from toting my ipad around the office to make notes to going back to a pen and paper.

It is a very very sad day.

Anyone know if there is a way to get the old version back without having to jailbreak an ipad? 

Dear who ever is in charge at Evernote,

I'm actually surprised by the quick response you provided to all of us out here that loved using Penultimate. Please let me extend my thanks to you for both for responding to us and trying to repair the really screwed up app upgrade. Unfortunately your repairs clearly don't go far enough.

Several people pointed out in this thread glitches and loss of functions that I didn't even notice when I first started this thread. Thank you, You've actually gone in and added some things back in that were taken out but, the MOST important thing about Penultimate is that it's a writing app. The problem that clearly is not being addressed is that the ability to write has actually gotten worse and still hasn't been improved.

Side note: I actually purchased a jot script stylus from Evernote when I used the old version Penultimate app. I found it wrote no better than a $5 stylus from Amazon, so I returned the jot script to Evernote. If this new version app can only operate properly with the jot script then I tnk you should be up front about that because clearly it doesn't work well any longer with a basic stylus. I wish I could post my iPad screen shot on here so you could see what it looks like but I'm not that tech savvy and honestly I have a life. The only reason I'm writing this additional reply to this thread is because I think you may actually care about the people who use your app.

In summary there may still be other issues in the app and there may not be but none of that means anything if I can't simply open the app up and easily write in it like I used too. Can you understand this. Upgrades are not upgrades if they make things harder to use. The purpose of Penultimate for me was ease of use when taking notes for business and for my personal journal. I'm no longer able to read what I'm writing.

Sorry guys it's still broken!

JD

Hey evernote, why did u do this? I agree with all said.

Can you just please upload the old app as a seperate application for those who would really like to use the old version. At least until you fix this one?

The email sent by evernote was very proffesionally made and I believed it. I hope in very short time, we will have a great solution from evernote.

I totally agree! I even have a premium evernote account and was happy with penultimate! It is sooooo frustrating not even able to write normal !!! On a writing app? And the books are combined and so on , it is all said above. Please fix this !!

+1

Actually considering to move everything from Evernote Premium back to my Mac. No one knows the next weird action of the Evernote Team. Sorry but that bad move killed my business workflow. Reverted back to pen and real Paper for the Moment :-(

Please give back the old Version, fix the new one and come back with it in one year or two, three...

+1

Hi,

With this upgrade penultimate became almost unusable for me ; with a premium Evernote account, as a disable teacher i used it a lot with jotscript pen or bamboo. Now it's slow and not reliable. In an important meeting i've lost part of my notes... Give us back the wonderfull previous Penultimate !

While not wanting to throw baby out with bath water......The new version seems to have worsened in areas of merit and improved in other areas not so critical or beneficial. The page scroll issue is a disaster. To the earlier post.....why change this anyway ?? It was fine. On a brighter note......it now competes with One Note :)

I'm trying out other apps

I'm completely agree with you guys, this new versión is way below for the older one. Beyond the fact that it's complex to use, it crashes all the time and I've lost an entire sheet of contents. I think that the design team spent more time thinking about the appearance of the interface rather than its functionality. Is just sad because it was one of my favorite and most useful app. Please, if you can't improve this versión, at least allow us to get back to the older one.

I agree,

Penultimate not only have you shot yourselves in both feet but your customers as well.

THE UPDATE IS A DISASTER.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the previous version it was so easy to write or draw a sketch and then email it. Now I can not find that feature.

The update has messed up my saved books and and to change pages does not work as you describe,

Please someone tel me how to go back to the previous version.

Rodney Arnold

You just have to laugh at the way a company like Evernote disregards their customers and makes an update which ruins their product but instead of saying yeah it's a disaster and revert it back to the original version they do an update that doesn't solve the main issues.

Do yourselves a favour and get a new product.

I know not easy or affordable for all but I bought a surface pro 3 over this whole debacle and it kills penultimate current, previous and version prior to that. We I say it kills it, it's not correct it abliterates it. The adonit pen feels like a chisel and stone compared with the surface pen and there is zero lag.

And the best part no idiotic updates anywhere in site.

See you Evernote, this should become a case study in business school for how not to perform an app update and customer service.

Pathetic

Hello Penultimate/Evernote,

I just checked out the Penultimate app again today and guess what...it still doesn't work.  I'm being very sincere when I say that it truly blows my mind that the people who actually make decisions within Evernote have yet to fix their mistake.  Having a VP write a letter to everyone and admitting the mistake seemed great at first.  However, adding onto the end of that letter that upgrades need to be made to stay current is lame guys, really lame!  

Maybe I could have swallowed that letter if you actually had fixed the app but, you didn't!  You added one or two little things that don't really do anything to the underlying problem.  That underlying problem being that the fundamental upgrade you put out doesn't work...Literally!  I took a screen shot of the writing and the zoomed in writing and it's horrible.  I wish I could insert the screen shot into this post but I don't know hoe to do it.  If I did, there's no way you could say that your upgrade is anything but a dismal failure.  

I'm shocked that the people who work at Evernote are not screaming their heads off about this ***** up, maybe they are unless of course their worried about losing their jobs.  The only thing that makes sense to me now is that the people at Evernote who are making the decisions don't actually use their own product.  This to me is really the only way you could have let someone ***** up your great app. 

I am in no way a big shot in the business world so Evernote you probably won't care about this but I just have to let you know this.  Last year and this year I ran one of the highest grossing real estate offices in my territory.  My job was to recruit and train top agents.  I was recommending Penultimate at first to all my agents and even told my agents to consider using Evernote.  I was even talking to the investors who owned my office about utilizing Penultimate and Evernote in our other eight offices in the north region of the U.S.  Well, GUESS WHAT...that's not going to happen now.  

I truly can't understand how a company actually puts out a sub-par product, acknowledges and admits that they put out a sub-par product, then throws on a few bells and whistles onto their sub-par product but still doesn't actually FIX their sub-par product.  Come on guys, pick up an Ipad and try to use your own app and compare it to your old Penultimate app.  Let's all be honest with each other.  Your app and the little fixes you made to it don't measure up.  It's time to scrap it and regain some self respect for Evernote and your profession.  

The reason I'm taking time out of my day to write this is because I used the Penultimate app everyday for many different parts of my life, both business and personal.  It probably was the most used app on my Ipad.  Let me take away your pen and paper and replace it with a piece of stone and a chisel and see how you feel.  That's what it's like and no I'm not being overly dramatic.  I used Penultimate for my personal journal and business notes and tasks and now I'm reorganizing everything.  IT Sucks!  

I think I'm giving up now on Penultimate and Evernote.  Does anyone know a great writing app like Penultimate used to be? 

I am highly disappointed. I saw the older version of penultimate on my friends iPad and fell in love with that version. I then purchased an iPad, and to my extreme disappointed was presented with this new "upgrade". 

In a few words:

Penultimate now sucks!

Simple as that.

I can only agree with what is being said. The most painfull is the new "next page" function forcing me to put the stylo down and try multiple times with two fingers to get the darn thing to scroll... In the previous version a simple tap in the top right corner would suffice to get to a next page. CAN I GET THAT FUNCTION BACK PLEASE!!??!!

• 3 weeks later...

Penultimate for me remains unsable I have deleted it because literally YOU CANNOT WRITE!!! I have a jot script stylus and the writing is so bad on my Air 2 that it's totally unusable. Did this get beta tested? The version where drift was first released was far far far more stable writing wise then this. The new drift mode is totally unsable , the sad thing is that a huge focus should be made to make the case for the jot script but Evernote this app Penultimate has literally fallen by the waist side, I challenge anyone to use Noteshekf with the Jot Script and you will get better response from the pen then Evernotes own product. It's really sad, I used to use penultimate all the time for notation now it's basically a deleted app Because it's simoly not usable. I am unsure if Evernote cares about it because I have even made a video about it and posted it and they haven't done anything yet. They really need to update the app because as it stands right now Penultimate is a BUST & th Jot Script Stylus.

For some of us this update is worse than useless. I am a legally blind grad student and have used penultimate to make notes about my research, for over a year. The "infinite scroll" makes it impossible for me to find anything. In addition the new edit feature now displays pages in a column instead of a grid...so it is impossible to see a note in a context.

I understand that developers need to do change for the sake of change...how else can you justify your job if a product that was meant to be simple ...worked just fine...

i am totally screwed because of your mindless culture that believes in...thrives on... The delusion of endless progress.

Please I would pay for the old version ...or at least the ability to turn off that F.....g infinite scroll. There is a reason why bound books with individual pages ...replaced scrolls....Please tell the ...scroll idea...moron on your team to read some history...OR even notice that things like menus and legal documents ARE NOT WRITTEN ON SCROLLS....

Better yet just fire them ...any "designers" that f.....g clueless will drag your company into the ground. 

Because of Penulitmate not being usable I have found the perfect combo that far surpassed my experience with Penultimate and the Jot Script maintaining Evernote sync.

Use Fiftey Threes Pencil with NoteShelf!!!!! Also it works insane with Paper for Sketches etc

I know you may say well it's not as thin, here's the kicker it's MORE ACCURATE AND THE PALM REJECTION IS INSANE!!!!

Better product better drivers for better note taking software and NoteShelf AUTO SYNCS with EN negating Penultimate all together . I have bought 3 BT Styluses and bar one this combo blows them all away.

I am now writing and drawing and note taking more then ever with superior hardware and application on all fronts. Also the rear erase mode is genius I may add, also no gaps no ugly handwriting and just perfect responses. As a former Penultimate user and a premuim user of EN Ditch Penulitmate Ditch the Jot Script get the Pencil and Note Shelf and auto sync with EN. Penultimate seems to be a dead product with not ETA on it ever working as we want it to work, fortunately there is software and hardware that people are passionate about that got it right finally.

• 1 month later...

I TOTALLY AGREE... THIS IS THE WORST UPGRADE I HAVE EVER SEEN IN ANY TECHNOLOGY I HAVE USED FOR 20 YEARS... I was Evernotes biggest advocate... I absolutely adored them... now they just really let me down... there are problems all over the place with this recent upgrade... here is some things I discovered that are hurting my business and work flow now... 

1). You used to be able to have real-time collaboration... meaning two people could be on the note at the same time in conference and working inside the note.. but now.. they have this pain in the ass "Note Lock" feature that locks you out of the note!!  Thats right, in case you thought I was stuttering... if you are sharing a note at the same time with someone else... you automatically get locked out of the note... the makes it impossible to work inside the note... no cursor, nothing... just freezes on you. AND... there is no way to disable the "lock"... the only way you can regain editing control is to tell the other party to close the note and reopen it... lame.

2). There is no way to copy the notebook URL to simply paste it into a browser... if you right click on a notebook and choose "modify sharing"... and then copy the URL... it doesn't copy.. it fails to paste.

Watch this screen capture:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11616972/No%20Way%20to%20copy%20a%20notebook%20URL.mp4

3). I have had other strange issues as well... like everything suddenly getting centered in the note... and when scrolling a large note, it lags... and drags... it used to be fast.

Its really infuriating that they had the best damn product in the world and then went out and let their engineers "tinker" with ideas they though there "cool".. .that nobody needed and killed the capabilities that their customers relied on.

A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT... 

I recently renewed my interest in penultimate and decided to go paperless with my notes. I was still on the old version just last week - and made the fateful mistake of upgrading, prior to researching on the web. I won't rehash what I hate about it - but I did want to add my voice to the masses - the prior version was superior and the update is most certainly a downgrade. Thankfully, I was able to restore the old version - I lost my prior notebooks - but I printed off the crucial one prior to deleting version 6.0. I really don't want to switch to another product, I want Evernote to listen to its users and go back to the version and features everyone loved.

Get a Pencil by Fiftey Three and use Noteshelf. PU is dead if no updates or even a blog mention is being put out that is a indicator of nothing to expect, you would think the uproar would've had a response but, I have a PU stylus that's DOA and a app that's DOA. The Pencil By Fiftey three in contrast support is insane, Best stylus I have used.

I've given up on EN doing anything to address the new design with Penultimate (or as I now call it Pennotimate or PU because it stinks), so I chose NOT to renew my premium membership and have officially switched to Bamboo. It is basically what PU was before they screwed it up and it syncs with EN.

I've given up on EN doing anything to address the new design with Penultimate (or as I now call it Pennotimate or PU because it stinks), so I chose NOT to renew my premium membership and have officially switched to Bamboo. It is basically what PU was before they screwed it up and it syncs with EN.

With today's update I crossed my fingers hoping the circles were replaced. My choice to replace the circles with a galley list down the left side to chose from. These circles are a terrible choice, difficult to choose a note from, where a list would make it much easier.

Very disappointed in this update.

Archived