• Announcements

• gbarry

Reach out to Evernote support on Twitter @EvernoteHelps   09/20/2016

We've been leveling up our support across all channels. If you're active on Twitter, try your hand with our @evernotehelps feed. It's helmed by a crack team out of Austin, TX who are here to answer your questions. They're generally active from 7am-4pm CST.  https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  
mike12045

Really unhappy with new [Penultimate] version

158 posts in this topic

My apologies. I just realized that I had left out that info.

I am referring to the new version of Penultimate, just released. I am using it on an iPad, OS 8.1.

1 person likes this

I agree. I need to scroll by page thru the notebooks I use to teach courses. I have templates in these slides that lost the notes I had scribed onto them and what happened to the ability to see snapshots of all pages in a notebook.

This is a DOWNgrade to say the least.

8 people like this

I've only this minute notice the update, I thought...at last! Maybe they have made this app more usable. Two minutes with it told be they have not, it's worse, more unusable than ever. Lack of resizing photos, can't even add a page.

Very disappointing,

4 people like this

This app, pre-update, was easily the best note taking app available. Today's (11/13/14) update took away Penultimate's best features, being able to zoom in anywhere on the page and write at your own pace. You're now forced to write in a specified area of the app when zooming in regardless of you're writing style and forced to write at a set speed. The app pre-update allowed the user to customize everything from where they wanted to position the zoomed in feature and at what speed they wanted to write. The app would even stop scrolling when lifting your stylus. Evernote/Penultimate, please correct these two items.

3 people like this

I miss the thumb

I have to add my voice of displeasure to the others. Terrible update..
Give us back
Discrete notebooks
Page turning
Full page erasure
Thumbnails
Photo sizing.
I will await updates (soon I hope) or seek out new app.

+1

I miss browsing pages using Thumbnail.

Not a big fan of scrolling down and up using fingers. It's too hard to find old pages!!

Does anyone know how to downgrade?

7 people like this

I am very disappointed with this 'upgrade'. It has made an app I was very happy with almost unusable. My biggest complaints are:

- Handwriting performance is much worse. The line appears about ¼" above the stylus instead of directly beneath it. This makes my writing look much much worse.

- I really miss the discrete pages. I can understand the desire to write in a continuous scroll, but older, larger notebooks are hard to navigate without pages.

- The covers also helped to organize notebooks.

- For some reason when I switch between portrait and notebook view, it randomly switches to a different notebook.

I've switched back to the previous version, turned off auto-updates, and am now looking for a replacement note-taking app.

8 people like this

I could list all the reasons I dislike the new version...  It would take forever.

Couldn't there be two versions instead of forcing everyone into one?

Far easier to just say, the only thing I like is blue.

This is a catastrophe for me and I'm done with it.  

4 people like this

I am very disappointed with this 'upgrade'. It has made an app I was very happy with almost unusable. My biggest complaints are:

- Handwriting performance is much worse. The line appears about ¼" above the stylus instead of directly beneath it. This makes my writing look much much worse.

- I really miss the discrete pages. I can understand the desire to write in a continuous scroll, but older, larger notebooks are hard to navigate without pages.

- The covers also helped to organize notebooks.

- For some reason when I switch between portrait and notebook view, it randomly switches to a different notebook.

I've switched back to the previous version, turned off auto-updates, and am now looking for a replacement note-taking app.

3 people like this

I agree! Really diappointing. Very slow on IPad Air 2. Unusable with Adonit jot touch.

3 people like this

Anyone know how to EXIT fullscreen?? I cannot see any of the control icons, and IO cannot seem to escape fullscreen.

AND in fullscreen it seems you cannot scroll or move from one page to the next. HELP! 

Just to add another voice to the "massively disappointed" crowd!

I am amazed that the basic writing function has taken such a nose dive.  I can only believe that there has been some less than frank testing of the handwriting.

The navigation in note/notebook is now a nightmare.  It is fine to introduce page-less, but how are we supposed to use our files where we are used to the page thumb-nail views?

I have gone back to version 5 thanks to a back-up on iTunes on my Mac.  (To do this - delete the app on your device, connect to your PC/Mac, stop the sync process,  add the iTunes version of the app back on to the device.  Re-sync.  Bazinga - you're back in lovely v5!  You will need to basic re-set-up but my notebooks sync'd back from EN with no problems.)

Have lost hours of work today -  aaaargh!

3 people like this

Is anyone at Evernote listening??? This is a really crappy "upgrade". Can I suggest you revert to the previous version until this new version has been thoroughly tested and debugged. It is really disappointing.

5 people like this

I can only subscribe general opinion. This is a HUGE Step Back, a HUGE error. It looks like Evernote wants people to abandon Penultimate in order to focus on its Evernote main business. It has no other explanation.

I can't believe one single user could be happier than before with this new version.

Is there any user happy with the update?

2 people like this

Upgrade has totally destroyed the app. It was wonderful, much like real note taking.

None of the other apps even come close to the previous version.

I am going back to pen and paper................

3 people like this

This is HORRIBLE.  I use Penultimate on a daily basis with separate notebooks for various business topics. All gone.  They are just "notes" within a single notebook and I cannot scroll or see other notes.  This is a complete disaster.  Why would Evernote mess with something that was perfect as is. This app is completely worthless to me now. I don't even know how to begin to use it. No need to rehash what others have said above as it is all correct.  I want the old format back with individual notebooks and I like turning the page.

I'll give it a few days for Evernote to get their collective heads out of their butts and go back to what works.  But it's a good thing I bought Notetake HD a few years back.  May have to move over and ditch Penultimate.

5 people like this

Comments on the blog post are "awaiting moderation".  All this backlash for destroying what was once a very good app is being hidden.  Please honestly address this mistake, Evernote!

7 people like this

GREAT UPDATE, the app updated overnight and I walked into work this morning to find all my notes deleted. Nice work!

Luckily, I had Penultimate synced to Evernote and so I was able to email that long string of notes to myself before it synced. I get that new software can have bugs (I work for a software company) but never the type of bug that deletes all the user's content. You just deleted all my work notes... I've been using Evernote for a long time and I just now launched the use of Evernote and Penultimate to my global PMO team - Should I trust your software with our data? 

You STUPPID, STUPPID company!  What a piece of sh*! this APP is now!  I LOVED what it use to be.

-One long scrolling piece of paper!  The scroll feature only writes a big line when you try to do it.

-Flipping through a note pad style is HOW YOU TAKE FREAKIN NOTES IN THIS WORLD!

-The CONSTENT hiding of the features that I need!  Have to constantly touch an icon to get them back

-The old way looked classier!

-The names for my Note Pads are gone!

-I can no longer send A PAGE in an email!  I can no longer see small thumbnails of my single pages.

I will be looking for another APP to REPLACE the GARBAGE you have created.  I will rewrite every F-in page in a new APP just to spite what you have done!  I will bad mouth this APP to everyone that will listen

2 people like this