Penultimate 6.0 Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the all-new Penultimate app was released today. Penultimate 6.0 is a complete redesign of the best digital handwriting app on iPad. Version 6.0 is focused around smoother writing and better organization.

Included in Penultimate 6.0:

• New UI for focused writing
  • Write in full screen and keep writing without stopping to add new pages. Use two fingers to scroll up and down notes.
  • Create new notes, and access different kinds of paper, more quickly
  • New highlighting tool
  • Improved connection process, writing quality, and accuracy for the Jot Script stylus
  • More powerful search
  • View by default all Evernote notebooks that contain Penultimate notes
  • Access and add notes to your Evernote notebooks, including business notebooks
  • View your Penultimate notes in Evernote

Let us know what you think.

You can download the Penultimate app from the App Store. You can purchase the Jot Script Evernote Edition Stylus by Adonit in the Evernote Market.

Cheers!

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One way to go is to boycott this update.

Do not use it, do not report bugs, there are so many it does not make sense.

We are going to report bugs/issues/features requests and end up with v5 :-)

For users who could not sync back to v5 from iTunes using a local .ipa file, is there a way to share a .ipa file so they can go back to v5?

After the arrogant response from someone on the Evernote team in the new 'FAQ topic', I've given up hoping Evernote will roll back Penultimate to the previous version anywhere in the near future.

Looking for a new note-taking app (there's already a topic on this forum dedicated to that so I'll be looking there).

Meanwhile, I'll be sure to give the Evernote app itself a 1-star rating, because I don't trust this company any more, and I don't want to be treated like this by a company.

One way to go is to boycott this update.

Do not use it, do not report bugs, there are so many it does not make sense.

We are going to report bugs/issues/features requests and end up with v5 :-)

For users who could not sync back to v5 from iTunes using a local .ipa file, is there a way to share a .ipa file so they can go back to v5?

I'm not sure if this is possible either, but if it is could someone share that .ipa file?

Penultimate is now completely unusable. Buggy, confusing, what is up with the automatic scrolling?

Geez guys, how about a response for all your paying evernote subscribers.

When will you get your ***** together.

Not only is the design a joke, but the product has crashed ten times on me.

Penultimate is now completely unusable. Buggy, confusing, what is up with the automatic scrolling?

Geez guys, how about a response for all your paying evernote subscribers.

When will you get your ***** together.

Not only is the design a joke, but the product has crashed ten times on me.

many responses throughout the penultimate forum from Evernote staff. 

I know many people have already expressed the same thoughts I am about to state, but I just feel so let down by this upgrade that I feel I must restate them.

I have used Penultimate for nearly 3 years. It has completely changed the way I work. I stopped using paper and completely moved all of my meeting note taking to Penultimate. It was brilliant. The addition of the Evernote integration and handwriting search only made things better. I have told numerous colleague about how great this app is. Immediately after auto upgrading to version 6 I nearly screwed up an interview I was conducting because I could not use the app any more to take notes. I have spend 3 days trying work with it. I tried completely ignoring the zoom feature because I found it unusable. I loved the zoom and drift feature of version 5.

I was due to attend a conference this week and needed to be able to take notes effectively, so I paid £5 to download Noteshelf, based on comments in this forum, and it is great. I can still back up my notes to Evernote easily. The writing feels fluid and easy. The zoom feature is not great, but I find that I am easily able to write effectively without using it and my handwriting is perfectly legible. In version 6 even without using zoom, the writing experience was just awful.

Noteshelf reminds me of what Penultimate used to be.

I would just like to illustrate that I was a completely happy and content Penultimate and Evernote customer who wouldn't have thought about looking at an alternative, who has now been forced to pay to buy an alternative app that does the same job that Penultimate used to do.

It is such a shame and a complete waste of many hours of time over the last week.

Evernote. Seriously - just make version 5 available again and rethink what you were trying to do with versions 6. It didn't work.

many responses throughout the penultimate forum from Evernote staff. 

Well, no. Responses to individual "bug" reports, perhaps. But no real response from senior management, which it is now clear is where the true problem lies. Phil Libin's tweet -- telling us to wait until they get their act together to issue an update that restores basic lost functionality -- is nothing short of insulting to users who have experienced significant disruptions and, in some cases, catastrophic data loss. 

Throughout this debacle, Evernote has repeatedly shown that it DOES NOT GET IT. There has been NO attempt to address the betrayal of users' trust. At every step, Evernote has worked hard to dig itself deeper into a hole of its own making. Employee reviews on Glassdoor appear to confirm that this is a company that has lost its focus, lost its way, and is doing everything in its power to lose its paying customers.

I don't blame the hard-working developers. I blame the company. 

The previous version, although could do with a little sprucing up (as you have done with the icons, etc), was an amazing product. Allowed free flowing writing with the Jot pen, reacted to the speed of the writing across the paper, was an excellent product. I have used it constantly for my meetings, built up a large library, synced with Evernote - perfect. This new version (v6), is just about to be consigned to the trash can. Horrible reaction to the writing, many of the amazing features of the previous version have been removed & generally, a poor release.

As Evernote know the large volume users (notes synced with the Evernote account), please, please, please perform a beta trial with your customers that know & have used your products for a long time. Immediately you would have known that to release this to the community would have made people jump to other products. Clients are fickle, I know, but please consult them in future & hopefully quickly to release another quality version. Please use this version as a lessons-learned & re-release the older version until a thorough consultation period with your customers has given you valuable feedback.

I am so unbelievably frustrated with Evernote right now. The biggest issue is them taking email support away from general users. To me that is cowardly and just bad business. Unless I get a response from Evernote directly, I will ensure that I never spend another cent on any Evernote products nor any of my friends and family do. You don't take the support option away especially when you put out a sub-par project. Sorry Evernote, right now there are banks that I like better than your company.

On to my issue. I just updated to the new version of penultimate this week and used it for the first time in my master's program class tonight. Aside from the normal hiccups of figuring out how to switch pages, there are a whole host of functionality problems that I will gladly list off here:

1. The biggest one. I have been using penultimate for my class since the start of the semester. All my notes were taken in horizontal mode because I had an attached keyboard. With the new update, all of my old notes that I took this year are rotated 90 degrees. Do you know how hard it will be to study my old notes for my finals in the next two weeks when the notes are rotated? You have essentially ruined my ability to study for my class. You already lost one class of notes from me because penultimate did not sync appropriately and now you decide to try to ruin my semester fully. I took a risk to try and use Evernote and Penultimate this semester and now I am paying the price. 

2. When I try and lock the rotation using the iOS commands while in the app, it puts a mark in the note that I am in. There is no way to open the iOS menus by pulling down the top or bottom of the screen without making a mark in the note you are working on. That is beyond me. You are making an iPad app that does not work with iPad functionality? Did you use trained monkeys to program your update?

I need a way to rotate my old notes 90 degrees in the next two weeks. Simple as that. The rest of the problems are frustrating but I can deal with. I need to study my notes for finals and I will not let your poor excuse for a company jeopardize my grade this semester. I need someone from your organization to contact me as soon as possible to get this resolved. Maybe in the future you should beta test your updates so you don't start a firestorm like this has. Oh and bring back email support.

I just realized that I have a previous support ticket open from when penultimate lost my note. I already feel sorry for the poor tech who has to deal with my next response on that ticket.

And there I was thinking I'm the only muppet who can't figure out Penultimate 6.0.  So in addition to everyone else's frustrations, I'd like to add:

• When I sync to Evernote only the subject header syncs - not the actual handwritten text. ?!@#$!
  • A couple of Penultimate notebooks seem to have disappeared.
  • When I deleted some notebooks, the corresponding Evernote notebook also disappears but the contents go into Trash.  What is the point of that?  Ridiculous!

Time for a major UPDATE please

A few things I'd like to share:  

1) I attempted to use one of my Penultimate notebooks during a meeting yesterday, but since I would have had to scroll through 50 pages or so to find what I was looking for, it just didn't work out.  In the past, I've been able to view the thumbnails and find things very quickly in notebooks with many pages.  Thank goodness I had some backup documents on paper.  

2) Fortunately, I just downgraded back to v5.3.1 and feel like some order has been restored in the universe!  At least I can use my old notebooks.  

3) I am making new notebooks in Notability, which again has some major advantages including working/syncing on both my iPad AND iPhone, and backing up to my Google Drive.  I doubt that I will switch back to Penultimate.  

4) I'm even wondering if I should drop Evernote (which I've used for at least 5 years, consider a great system, and would like to continue using reliably and effectively).  I have a lot of useful reference info in Evernote so I hope I can keep using it.

--VB

Please Please roll this god awfull update back  From the only app I needed in my business and personal world, This has become the only app made totally and completely Unusable.

I write and i need to put the pen on the line below where the writing appears - impossible to write now

Unable to view thumbnails within a notebook so 100 pages to scroll through whilst someone waits for me - got to be joking

Scrolling is very unreliable and then need to clean finger marks

Paper selection missing

Now without ability to select wide lines I also have no page definition - just one long screwed up page

I for privacy had the notebook view then open use and close - no longer functions

changing pages just a tap and no marks - please return our functionality

The app is not at all user friendly compared to the previous version

I paid for this app happily as this was and still is the best - UNTIL THIS RUBBISH UPDATE

C'mon guys you know better. I know this because prior to the update this app was miles ahead

If not fixed I will have to opt for a different note taking app - get smart , we all make mistakes and this update is a mistake - look how many of us are writing to you

If you are doing this for in app sales this will not work - your app sales and our withdrawal will reduce the in app and particularly the other app purchases - when the trust is no longer there for us.

We love your app Please do not let us walk away hanging our heads in shame at these changes - we were hard to get and will be even harder to get us to return

Caveat emptor

Many like me this is a first and tells you how highly I rate and promote Penultimate - not so any more

Due to The latest messup with The penultimate 6.0 where our consultans know have to use pen and papper, some has switched app. We are thinking of terminate evernote products period in our business. You don't act or producera inferiour products The way The do. / previously happy evernote buisness customer. / buisness area manager

Well, it's for real. They have not a clue.

After posting a report ticket to custom service explaining the problems and explaining how landscape notes gets corrupted, they don't understand the problem at all. Finally, i´ve received a  last template message sending me to a page where they explain how to use and what are the differences on the new version and how marvelous and smart is the new version, because it seems that the problem is that i need to get used to the new version. Also making clear that they are only thinking on Evernote, not Penultimate users, because all of their arguments is to adapt to evernote, evernote, evernote blah blah blah.

Meanwhile, i wrote to the Notability support asking for the possibility of more paper styles like penultimate ones. They kindly send me a dropbox shared folder with a lot of templates to import, including sport, technical, music, storyboards...

As an old Spanish tv spot says: "Search, compare, and if you find something better, purchase it!"

James - Downgrade sucks

Will Evernote ever answer any of these complaints? Radio silence both on the app store reviews and this blog commentary.  I need this app to work.  Here are my issues:

1) the zoomed drift mode is garbage.  It does not stop when you lift your pen.  When you go to the next line the drift starts going, it should wait for you to start writing. 

2) There is no way to delete pages within a note or rearrange them. 

3) The conversion that Evernote did in its recent "downgrade" made all my notes bold so it is now hard to read. 

Will Evernote send its loyal users a note saying you are working on a fix?  I need to know if I should migrate to another app that actually cares.

I fully agree with the 99% of users who have posted. This app now sucks. Was fine before, don't understand reason for changes. Whoever came up with them should be fired. UI is horrible. Anyone have recommendation for another app that was more like old Penultimate, like a journal. Good job ruining a good thing. 

Despite having successfully downgrading, I'm taking this time to evaluate other note taking apps as I rely heavily on notes.  I have used Bamboo paper in the past, liked it but am still evaluating others such as GoodNotes, NoteShelf and Notes Plus to really see which app best suits my needs.  

Notes Plus has a free trial app called INKredible and this looks promising.  Though notes plus is pricy ($9.99) they are having an App Store sale tomorrow, Nov 20, for $1.99.  (disclaimer, I do not work for them, just letting people know they can save a buck)

Since Evernote is silent and has no appreciation of the serious problems they caused with a poorly  thought out update, I no longer have any faith in their product.  Sad because I was a user from the beginning.  I also realize that I need to keep vigilant as this has opened my eyes to the amount of risk exposure by being so dependent on an app such as this.  From now on I'll be keeping up on what developers are doing to apps that I rely on for daily business.  

As far as I can tell, Bamboo Paper does not support the Adonis Jot Script - Evernote Edition pen though if you already had one of those for penultimate.

I was able to use the Jot Script to write but it's not actually connected to the app like it was in Penultimate. I was not ablate get the app to connect to the pen.

That's odd. I was able to get it connected...worked well.

I was able to revert back to an old version (the backup on the computer had not yet been updated) so a reprieve for now. But Bamboo remains a viable backup.

This app, pre-update, was easily the best note taking app available. Today's (11/13/14) update took away Penultimate's best features, being able to zoom in anywhere on the page and write at your own pace. You're now forced to write in a specified area of the app when zooming in regardless of you're writing style and forced to write at a set speed. The app pre-update allowed the user to customize everything from where they wanted to position the zoomed in feature and at what speed they wanted to write. The app would even stop scrolling when lifting your stylus. Evernote/Penultimate, please correct these two items.

Penultimate on iOS 8.1 iPad Air

Bob67 - how did you sync with the old version? I desperately need to do this. Thank you in advance for your help.

We are working on some significant improvements for zoom in the next release. Are you unable to reposition the zoom box? You should be able to tap anywhere outside the zoomed area to navigate. If that's not the case let us know. Otherwise, I'm hopeful that coming improvements will meet your needs. 

I must agree with this comment. I just got my Jot Script today with the expectation that I would be able to use two fingers to zoom in but all I got was a box. The box is what I didn't like before getting this pen and thought that was what it would do when watching the latest video clip. Not happy. Is that feature returning in the revision? If not, as much as I like this stylus, I need to return it. I have committed to Evernote over several other cross platform systems because it has done what it says. This was the icing on the cake but all I have is cake...

The new update is absolutely horrible! Maybe it integrates well with Evernote, but for those of us who loved all the features of Penultimate without using Evernote, this is horrible. I'm extremely frustrated with the new update and will look of other notebook options immediately!

I hate the new scrolling function. It's unusable for notebooks with more than 3-5 pages.

What happened to notebook titles?

Can't find a particular page!

How to downgrade....

Note, you need to have the previous version as part of an old(er) computer-based sync

http://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-re-install-older-version-of-apps-on-iphone-ipad/

This solution may work for some.  It did not work for me, because the deleted file will not be recognized on my iTunes as coming from an "authorized account."   I have two apple IDs, and they are unable to resolve the issue to have them reconcile to allow Penultimate 5.x to be restored.   I suspect there are a large number of us in the same boat:  the only way we will get 5.x back is if the Evernote team allows us to re-download it.   There have been several requests to do just that, but so far, they have not acknowledged that we are making the request or whether or not they can or intend to fulfill it.   For the one non-Evernote forum poster who keeps reminding us that they don't think the team can do that, I hear you, but since you aren't at Evernote, I would prefer to have them answer rather than have you continue to cheerlead for them in their inexcusable silence.   You know who you are.   

Update on my quest to reengineer and consider my note taking strategy:

1. I decided to go with the Logitech Type+ for my keyboard cover. The keyboard is very close to full-size and slightly larger than the iPad keyboard. So far I am able to type as quickly as I can on my laptop. The feedback on the keys is very nice and they are relatively quiet...quieter than the sound most modern styli have when clicking against the iPad screen. I'm typing this on it in fact, and the keyboard shortcuts for moving the cursor around mimic those found on the Apple keyboard.

2. Because the Notes, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote apps are available for free (Notes can't be uninstalled) and available on all devices and sync with iCloud - note taking issues have been resolved, with the added bonus of being completely portable with my notes and other "professional" documents.

3. I've also started looking into Loose Leaf as a means for sketching ideas. It is exactly what it sounds like, however. No notebooks at this time. However, the other functionality available make it a pretty good collaboration tool for teams using iPads...I haven't used it enough to say more than that.

4. Data loss: I received an update from Tech Support asking me to download iExplorer...not great that I have to download an app outside the App store - not sure if it is available for Windows...and not sure how long the demo version will work. This app gives you access to the private folders on the device...as a developer, this creeps me out a bit. I told inside of this private folder would be PNG images; however, when I looked, they were not files, they were folders (not file packages) with a single binary...so not a complete solution to the fear of data loss, but it appears all of my pages are still on the device.

Conclusion: Between items 1 and 2, note taking and document creation has become ubiquitous and completely portable - making my iPad a 10" laptop. The keyboard case does add a little weight, but the tradeoff is minimal compared to what is gained. 3 appears to give a viable solution to sketching, storyboarding, and collaborating on projects where visualization is the main goal. 4 means that the notebooks should not be lost...only unviewable; so, here's to hoping I eventually get to see them.

Hope that helps someone else having a tough time responding to this apparent direction change from Evernote related to Penultimate.

Cheers

I attempted to downgrade to Penultimate 5 last version prior to update

As I had updated my iPad app though not my computer iTunes version

I backed up the iPad to the computer and then deleted the app from my iPad

I then attempted to reload Penultimate - PROBLEM my iTunes only offers to remove the Penultimate app from my computer

So tried a workaround - I restored my iPad from the backup

However lost all my notebooks as the v5 will not load the notebook data anymore 

The good news is that I can make new notebooks in my now empty  but much loved and very useable old version - this will be a pig to merge later though - so will use an alternative app till issue is solved

Any suggestions as to how to have it reload the data to the previous version would be much appreciated.

Alternatively is their a way to run the new version and the previous version independent of each other on the same iPad - Please this at least would be a great workaround

Failing that will have to upgrade the app then reload the data to upgrade and not use until it is fixed - or move away with head hanging sadness.

Clearly, enough has been written about the disaster that happened. I am appalled that despite the outcry, there has been no response from the developers. NONE. As someone who spent his saturday printing and salvaging whatever notes i could, i feel badly for the hundreds of educators, classrooms, collaboraters, and note-takers who have been affected.

Penultimate used to be in my ipad's DOCK. Now it's deleted. Given their silence, there is NO WAY i am going to back-hack or restore previous version, nor wait around for the company to fix (better yet, throw out) version 6. I only hope that everyone responsible for this disaster learns something from it. I WILL take my frustration out on evernote, because they are the company ultimately responsible for this disaster. Premium membership? no thanks. I am already looking to replace that app, too.

After doing some research, i am finding that both Noteshelf and GoodNotes are acceptable alternatives - and they work NOW, when I need to work...

And SHAME on the apple store for declaring this mess a 'best new app" ???!!!

If you actually read this thread, you'd notice that an Evernote employee, Joshua Taylor, has chimed in at least a half dozen times within the fits few pages.

Take a deep breath,

The Evernote Team is also reaching out to commenters/users in other ways as well. Seems like an update will be submitted to the App Store soon.

I am very dissapointed by the new version a complete dog to use. it does not stay on the last page when you switch out. The two finger scroll - OMG. I would like to know..... did you make these changes based on user request or ? Please change it back. I used to recommend Penultimate.....not anymore. I am searching for a new writing app.

I hate as well this version of Penultimate.

I can not use it anymore. Scrolling not possible. Writing also not ok - it writes not exactly where I i have my pen. Really a bad release.

I'm going to need to find an arternative product to write. Is it possible to go back to the previous version?

I agree with other users regarding the lost or altered features that I am hoping will be improved or returned soon. I have some additional remarks:

1. I use my finger rather than a stylus to write notes (heavy use means that styli wear out too quickly); this worked well with the previous version but now is clumsy. The screen response is considerably slower and cannot keep up with my writing. I find I have to constantly go back over my writing to fill in missing parts of letters. This is especially true when zoomed. The drift function is too fast and the zoom is too large. Variable zoom and drift would be helpful.
  2. This could be a deal-breaker: I used to be able to email a pdf of up to 6 or 7 notebook pages with embedded images and the pdf would be under the 5 Meg limit set by my email server. Now I can only email a pdf of a few handwritten pages and the email of the pdf does not reliably send; it seems to get hung up inside the Penultimate App or on the server. 
  3. I just handwrote a note that says, "This note" and then emailed it to myself. I received a pdf but it was blank lined paper - the note I wrote was not there. I waited about 5 minutes and resent the pdf and it worked. I don't recall needing to synchronize with the server before sending pdf notebook emails in the past; has that been changed? 
  4. This could also be a deal-breaker: Previously, when I had notebooks that were too big to email all at once, I would break up the notebook into multiple parts and email each part separately. I accomplished this by duplicating the notebook and deleting pages incrementally. I don't see any feature to duplicate notebooks or to delete or duplicate individual pages.
  5. If I cannot get my work out of the iPad, then I cannot use this product.
  6. The photo enlargement feature on a notebook page is very difficult to control. The previous version allowed individual corners of the photo to be expanded; now a clumsy two finger swoop is necessary. I take screenshots of forms that I then use in the field - I fill in the blanks with handwritten notes.

This was a really useful App in the past. Many of the people who previously observed my use of Penultimate are considering buying iPads for work use so they can use it in the same way that I used it.

This App is the only reason I use the iPad rather than an iPhone in the field. Thank you for your help!

This is the first time I have ever felt so strongly about any product upgrade that I've posted anything online. I have 100's of notes, use this app everyday and love it, but there are major problems with the new release (in priority order):

- Pen thickness is too thick to read - many good examples on this forum

- The split screen zoom leaves too little room to see what you are actually writing - original full page was better

- The drift goes too fast, and isn't automatic like the old version and keeps scrolling after you stop writing

- Hiding the icons on top requires me to take an extra click to erase, move, undo etc

- Its too hard now to name documents

- Feels like its easier to leave weird artifacts all over the screen

- 2 finger slide works about 50% of the time

- Screen update when writing fast feels too slow and so words get hard to read

For me this app is now practically unusable, and I'm going to have to start looking for alternatives - which is a real shame

Hope you can fix this soon

I hate this update and, in fact, I cannot use it now. I came to do a schematic drawing and I just can't. I used to love sketching in PU, landscape or portrait, using the thumbnails to switch between pages, zooming when needed. Made it easy and fun. But tonight I am using paper.

I have seen "the announcement" but I can't see how I am going to get back the features that made this one of the best apps there is. Or was. I am looking for another solution.

I really dislike this new version--IT IS INCREDIBLY INCONVENIENT.  I cannot search for a specific page within a notebook (the way I used to have thumbnail views of each page) without wasting time scrolling through my entire notebook.  THIS IS SO INEFFICIENT!  I'm a busy executive who needs to find things quickly and easily.  There are many other very BASIC problems and would like to know:

WHEN ARE THE "MORE TO COME" FEATURES GOING TO COME?  SOONER RATHER THAN LATER I HOPE OR I AM DITCHING THIS FOR ANOTHER APP/PROGRAM.

I agree with the overwhelming dislike for the product in this form.  I have used evernote for years and now it is completely useless to me.  I used to be able to open the app, click on a workbook and start writing.  Now the workflow (if there even is one) has changed so drastically, I can't function with it.  Penultimate is a separate tool from Evernote.  Get that through your thick skulls.

IMHO you tried to consolidate two apps into one and in doing so screwed up both!  Why don't you talk to people who use these apps everyday?  The best solution right now is to revert back and re-think how to approach the whatever it is you want to do.  IF YOU DON'T DO SOMETHING VERY QUICKLY, WE WILL FIND AN ALTERNATIVE GO TO APP.  OUR WORKDAY GOES ON AND WE NEED TO PRODUCE EVERY DAY, AND TIME IS MONEY.  I will abandon penultimate unless this is changed within the next few days.

Get this: I am upset that you are wasting my time!

Thank you:

I want to commend Evernote for finally responding to the outcry of complaints about the "downgrade" of Penultimate.  I am one of those critics.  To be honest I was very angry about the changes and the radio silence from Evernote.  The reason I was so emotionally upset is that I have come to rely on all of the Evernote tools.  I was all in with you guys. I was confident because Evernote's core values communicated a level of respect for the user that was exemplary.  When Evernote made the change to Penultimate without notice/warning and radically changed the look and feel of the product it was disconcerting to many of us.  All of our notes rearranged (some of us thought they were lost) that our confidence was shaken.  But the worst part was I perceived that Evernote acting against its core values of openness and the user experience.  The lack of communication was frustrating to say the least. 

But today's email was a breath of fresh air.  I will patiently wait for the update.  Thank you for finally speaking up.

I'm really sorry but another person on the unhappy list!

I used this app all the time and it was my main meeting notebook. I went into a meeting a day or two ago opened it up and found the "update' had rendered the app basically useless. I read your blog post today and acknowledge the mea culpa but not the response. Read this thread, listen to your users - your old app used to have near 5 star reviews your new app has 1 star reviews at best and a lot of this is not because of a few tweaks or bug fixes... it is down to a fundamental change in the way the notes are taken and organised. We liked notebooks, we liked pages if we didn't like these we would have bought another app in the first place!

It is quite straight forward... roll back... listen to your community and give them choice. When iBooks changed their UI they gave you options. I now use iBooks on my iPhone as a continuous scrolling page and on my iPad where I still like to "turn" the pages. That is my choice and I don't expect an app that I used one way to suddenly decide I should use it another.

Unfortunately I am now downloading a new note taking app and hoping they will not be so high handed and not understand their own user base.

I loved the old Penultimate. if you give me the options to use it the way I want to and show me what you consider to be an improvement and see if I want to adopt it I may come back!

I'll be honest, I really love the new update for Penultimate.  It makes me enjoy using it again.  There is no sarcasm in the sentence, I truly love the update to the app.  The issues people are describing, I have not encountered, and I use the app daily for design and sketching.

My only issue is with the Evernote JotScript.  On the newest iPad Mini, it barely works.  It used to work great, but as I kept using it, the usability of the pen went down drastically.  I think this is a problem with the pen though, not with the app.  Good thing fingers work great. :)

I have been using Notability (a great note taking product) for several years, while waiting and hoping that Evernote might arrive at a real note-taking solution.   Notability has most features one might want--except for tight Evernote integration).  Since Evernote is late to the handwritten note and note taking party you might look at some of the several excellent apps out there:  #1. Notability, #2. Goodnotes, #3 Notetaker HD, #4. Notesuite.  All of these companies have development departments that are much smaller than Evernote's, yet Evernote (at least for IOS) has no solution with a properly-functioning "zoombox", a good ability to mix text and written notes, make drawings, etc.  Which ALL of these other apps already have.   If you cannot do better, why not buy or partner with one of these app makers--they are Light Years ahead of Evernote.   

Also I received an email indicating that an "update" is on the way since Evernote realizes (now?) that the initial release wasn't up to snuff.  REALLY.  It took me all of two minutes to realize that the app is fundamentally unusable, and I am not even a frequent user. Did anyone in the senior management of Evernote actually try to use this on an iPad with a stylus?????

This is does not inspire confidence in a company that wants me to store all of my important data with them.  If this is the level of Quality Control,  what is to prevent my hundreds of Premium Evernote from being scrambled during the next update of Evernote????  Did someone at Evernote actually believe that this was an improvement that users would be happy with????

BTW. Usually, when a new software release doesn't work, isn't the normal practice to "revert" to the previous working version.  Evernote should be posting an "update" to the previous working version.   I don't see how this is a quick fix, since there are so many things that are fundamentally inferior both to other products on the market and to the previous version of Penultimate (see the rest of this forum or the current posts in iTunes!). 

Very disappointing.

I'm really unhappy with the new update I can't navigate my 100+ page notebooks anymore with ease like before. Also I miss the tabs for turning pages , this two finger business is bollocks. And why get rid of being able to write in landscape. Please reconcile this . Or give a option for a 'classic' mode that allows for the old interface please.

Version 6.0.1 - NOT IMPRESSED!

I currently have a personal iPad 4 with the newest release of Penultimate 6.0.1, and also a Corporate iPad 4 running Penultimate version 5.3.1.

Here are my first observations of 6.0.1:

- writing on the zoom box on the bottom of the screen is NOT my favorite.  I much prefer the 5.3.1 version. - BRING IT BACK PLEASE!

- writing in the zoom box is somewhat erratic and ink is slow. Letters are not clearly defined and do NOT resemble my natural handwriting. The letters are boxy looking.

- there are much more marks left by my knuckles than on version 5.3.1 - I tried changing my wrist position in 'Settings', but no improvement.

- the zoom  box speed is still too fast. Version 5.3.1 is IDEAL.

Comparing the SAME note on full screen, on the two iPad: the letters on version 6.0.1 looks more granular (pixelized!) than version 5.3.1

Bring back version 5.3.1 AND add features to it.

Here is a link to Dropbox, comparing the same notes on both iPads (hope this works !):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/txbw0rgixhk22l4/AABYxRFXoxztaLEkQ-KK-0yaa?dl=0

I just reverted my personal iPad to version 4.2. Unfortunately, I never synced my iPad with Penultimate 5.3.1. That ok, because I rarely use Penultimate on my personnal iPad (only on the Corporate one!). I also think version 4.2 offers more authentic handwritting than version 6.0.1. I do miss the ZOOM feature on version 4.2. I even tried copying the .ipa 5.3 onto my personnal iPad, but 'I don't have the rights to use it!'.

Version 5.3.1 WE MISS YOU, PLEASE BRING IT BACK!

In re: the "new" version of Penultimate: DAMMIT!! SCROLLING SUCKS!! WHERE ARE MY PAGE TURNS??? BRING BACK PAGE TURNING!!! Okay, so I have this "new" version of the horrible revision and it's like watching evolution. You HAD IT RIGHT BEFORE!! Now I have to watch you figure out the RIGHT way to do it is the way you already had it BEFORE?? Oh, boy....so now I have some thumbnails...not as many visible as before, but some thumbnails. That's a step in the right direction. BUT I STILL CAN NOT TURN PAGES!! I HATE SCROLLING!! I want to be able to turn pages. The scrolling is sluggish, hard to initiate and, as an analogous way of doing things IT IS STUPID! PEOPLE DON'T SCROLL THROUGH PAGES IN BOOKS, MAGAZINES OR NOTES. THEY TURN PAGES!!

I have really, really tried to be patient with this moronic behavior, but I've about had it. DO SOME USABILITY STUDIES!!! ASK SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY USES YOUR PRODUCT WHAT THEY LIKE ABOUT IT!! They are going to tell you THUMBNAILS AND PAGE TURNS!! THEY WORK! BRING THEM BACK!

I've about had it...so "Noteshelf", eh?

Two issues are now emerging for me from this fiasco:

1. This thread describes in painful detail the lousy technical execution of Penultimate 6.0 in terms of functionality, user experience and brand management, which has basically been downright incompetent, just to put matters in simple language.  I had thought Evernote was run by people with two brains, multiple degrees, MBAs and whatnot who would know better than this.  Clearly they don't.  
  2. If Penultimate can be mismanaged so badly, you have to wonder about the safety and sustainability of Evernote itself.  I guess any system can go up in smoke so Evernote may be no more or less at risk than others like Dropbox and the like.  But how do we know?  Anyway, this is a useful reminder about the need for back ups, possibly including a low-tech solution called Pen & Paper.

I haven't seen anyone complain about the writing on the tablet is slightly above where I actually place my stylus or finger. It actually sort of makes sense with my finger but is aggravating with my notier stylus. Is this a setting I can turn off or is it something wrong with my tablet? It doesn't happen in any other writing programs.

I have switched to Noteshelf. But I have been keeping my eye on the updates here in case things get fixed. I like the new tray and ability to add pages throughout, but I would still like to:

Be able to switch pages around 

Export any number of pages as a PDF - this is critical. If I can't have this I will never be able to use Penultimate

Thanks for the one update. Keep going.

Hey Rob, I have a copy of the .ipa - only problem is when you upgrade it reformats the data. So you reinstall your old .ipa and resync  The data will not be picked up by the old .ipa. You do however have a clean copy of Penultimate to use.

Personally on my iPad I because i had upgraded tried

back up iPad in iTunes

delete version 6 penultimate

restore ipad as i have latest version 5 on my computer

got proper Penultimate back as a clean version

No data though as the formatting seems to have changed

so for my purposes basically useless as I cannot run the version 5 and 6 as separate applications

OH I loathe the scrolling feature - leaves marks you then have to clean up which erases parts of notes you then have attempt to put back WHAT a F*** up

Please developer your ideas might be great - however you NEVER tested them to see how workable they are in situ - ever 

I will do another post in hope evernote will give us either functionality or a way to reverse the process until the version 6 actually works

nonikwe

This version is literally unusable. I don't know whether this is due to me using it as a left-handed writer, or just simply the app's bugs, but anyway... I am currently using Penultimate 6 with an iPad Air and Adonit Jot Script. And yes, the stylus is synced with a new battery.

I am finding the interface generally a little sluggish compared to the last version, ink thickness has a ridiculous jump between 1 & 2, making my previous notes almost unreadable due to my handwriting style featuring small counters. However, it is the writing experience which has really got to me.

As a left handed member, I selected the left-handed option in the stylus settings. However, when using the new zoom options, the palm rejection fails to stop my palm activating the play/pause button and the next line button making it an unusable feature. Alongside this, if I try to use the auto-scroll, the speed is ridiculously fast and completely fails to accommodate for my speed of writing - leaving me way, way behind. I also find the zoom feature to jump at a completely different place on the wider page when trying to dot my 'i's. As you can imagine, this makes it take 4 times as long to finish a darn sentence, which is simply not practical, even if I try to persist and adjust to the new changes.

I'm not particularly fond of all the changes, but I'm sure I could live with them if I could actually write using the app. Please, please, please Evernote - sort this. The old version wasn't perfect, but it was a much better and usable foundation stone than this. I used to enjoy writing in the old version, it is almost impossible in the new version.

I also am a left-handed writer, and find the EXACT same problems as Adrian.  This new version basically screws up anything that a left-handed writer does.  I also use the Jot Script ($80), and it's 100% useless with Penultimate.  There is such a terrible delay, and the ink sizes don't scale correctly.  There is also a 'gap' between the end of the pen, and the "ink" on the screen, so it looks like I'm writing to the left of where I actually want to write.

Take a look at Good Notes, they seem to get it.

I haven't seen anyone complain about the writing on the tablet is slightly above where I actually place my stylus or finger. It actually sort of makes sense with my finger but is aggravating with my notier stylus. Is this a setting I can turn off or is it something wrong with my tablet? It doesn't happen in any other writing programs.

I 100% agree with this.  There is a 'gap' between the end of the stylus, and where the 'ink' appears.  I'm using the Jot Script (Evernote Edition) and right now it's no better (maybe worse) then a cheap $2 drug store stylus.

Evernote - please fix this crappy application, and get the $80 stylus to properly work in the application that it was (supposedly) designed for.  Stop trying to sell us socks, water bottles, and messenger bags, and fix the applications that we all have come to love and rely on.

Please.

I 100% agree with this.  There is a 'gap' between the end of the stylus, and where the 'ink' appears.  I'm using the Jot Script (Evernote Edition) and right now it's no better (maybe worse) then a cheap $2 drug store stylus.

Evernote - please fix this crappy application, and get the $80 stylus to properly work in the application that it was (supposedly) designed for.  Stop trying to sell us socks, water bottles, and messenger bags, and fix the applications that we all have come to love and rely on.

Please.

I totally agree and have the same issue with my jot script... although penultimate has changed a bit since the 1st issue of r6.0 it's still a not worthy to mention app. In the current condition I would have never started using this app at all. Having used 6.0 for a few weeks now I can summarize that: writing is worse then r 5.x; page scrolling is almost impossible.. give us back the page turn arrow; bluetooth connection is flaky; Jot Script styles is eating my batteries... average use, 2 weeks and the battery needs to be replaced. I give it until the end of this year..

Hey Rob, I have a copy of the .ipa - only problem is when you upgrade it reformats the data. So you reinstall your old .ipa and resync  The data will not be picked up by the old .ipa. You do however have a clean copy of Penultimate to use.

Personally on my iPad I because i had upgraded tried

back up iPad in iTunes

delete version 6 penultimate

restore ipad as i have latest version 5 on my computer

got proper Penultimate back as a clean version

No data though as the formatting seems to have changed

so for my purposes basically useless as I cannot run the version 5 and 6 as separate applications

OH I loathe the scrolling feature - leaves marks you then have to clean up which erases parts of notes you then have attempt to put back WHAT a F*** up

Please developer your ideas might be great - however you NEVER tested them to see how workable they are in situ - ever 

I will do another post in hope evernote will give us either functionality or a way to reverse the process until the version 6 actually works

nonikwe

Hey Nonikwe,

Thanks for the info. I have managed to find in one of my archives an older version, thus tried to reinstall, but eventually faced the same as you have.

The older version can't deal with the accumulated notebooks I have, which has been altered with version v6.

Although I loved the old and sincerely hate the new one, there was no way to stick with this rubbish..

I have jumped ship onto GoodNotes 4. To tell you the truth, it was a wise decision, couldn't be happier with it.

All I can say, Good riddance Evernote

Thanks very much jsessler for this - easy downgrade instructions!  Just to pile on with the many comments here already, I am hoping 6.1 will bring back much of what we all loved about 5.x .  Individual pages are just fine for me - preferred actually.  Easier to organize and rearrange.  Variable speed drift, and honestly I liked the greyed out version of the large page under the full screen zoom - easier than the upgrade to use.  Thumbnails are crucial as well - a feature that is now gone.    Until this is all fixed, I'm sticking with version 5 and have turned off automatic updates. 

Here are the downgrade instructions again - very happy to have this wonderful, functional everyday tool back.

To everyone on this forum:  You can get the old version back - follow these instructions exactly, but be sure to turn off all automatic update to apps and automatic downloads to apps in your settings first.  Otherwise you will have the same problem:

How do I downgrade an iPhone app to a previous version?

So you were tired of those home screen badge numbers showing up on the App Store icon and you updated your iPhone apps on the go. Now whenever you use one of these updated apps it doesn't work properly or you don't like the so-called improvements made by the developer. How can you downgrade to the previous version?

1. Delete the app from your iPhone.

2. Connect your iPhone to the computer and open iTunes.

3. Do not update your apps in iTunes. Back up and sync your iPhone using iTunes.

4. When the sync is complete, click your iPhone in the left iTunes menu under DEVICES. Click the Apps tab at the top of the iTunes window. Find the app you wish to downgrade under Sync Apps.

5. Make sure the box is checked next to the app you wish to downgrade. Click the Apply button.

6. The old version of the application will be copied from your computer to the iPhone.

If you have already updated the application on your computer, or synced your iPhone before deleting the new version of the app you must follow this step first. Open the trash can or recycling bin and look for the older app version (this file will end with the suffix .ipa).

http://www.iphonefaq...archives/971543

Thank you so much for this! I got my old PU back and with all my notes. 

And I'm so sorry for anyone stuck with this terrible update. Never again will I just automatically update an app before hearing the buzz on it first. Unfortunately there weren't any reviews when this update became available, and I just trusted EN to know what it was doing. Everything in the update made writing a chore. The laggy response from the stylus, to the layout and the user experience which doesn't correspond elegantly to real life experience at all. 

I understand you guys want to keep up with the trends, but you don't have to reinvent the wheel. I actually enjoy the act of writing. If not for the need to save paper and reduce waste and clutter, I would just use regular pen and paper. Old Penultimate was closer to that than any other note taking app on the market. Judging from this update, you totally didn't get that. :/ 

I have seriously tried to work with v 6.0 and the later released update to it. It's absolutely impossible to work with it. My JotScript (purchased aug. 14, 2014) looses connection al the time / writes fractions and eats batteries like crazy.
Page handling is awful so is the menu structure etc..etc... 

I have removed the app completely and switched to Wacom Bamboo Paper.. a great note-taking app, like a note taking app should be! Bamboo Paper has an interface with Evernote to store the notes and by the way their stylus is awesome.

Evernote .. get rid of Penultimate.. don't waist your time on such a ***** app.. make a deal with an existing note taking app builder (like wacom) and focus on Evernote!!

Extremely disappointed with Evernote.. your message that you heard us is just for show and with the amount of negative responses the only way possible to respond..Evernote didn't solve anything except 2 quick fixes.

I will start looking for an alternative for Evernote as well. 

To all users 

Penultimate V5.  was 45mb  new upgrade was 17mb -       This was never an update as old app was not bloated.

Evernote I say again you knew this was not really an update and if it was you were duplicitous in knowing in advance we were going to lose a huge amount of functionality necessary for the app to work as original and chose to not inform us. Sadly so

I appreciate you needed to rewrite oops sorry upgrade the v5. and would have migrated as all your users would have when V6 was READY for release.

Act smart for customers who love this app - give us the ability to roll back until the update is working

Allow us to have V5.  and V6 on our iPads simultaneously and many of us will give you positive feedback on issues needed to become functional and we can maintain our functionality viaV5.. and connectivity with the app and company we came to love

As Maxwell would say    GET Smart   and do not lose us - many of us are still on your side despite our HEAVY losses in time and functionality at this stage.

Forcing us to move due to silence and hoping it all goes away is not a workaround 

Communicating with us will keep us loyal to your endeavours.

If you updated to v6 on iPad and do not have an independent backup in your computer of the old v5 notebooks - well we are screwed as the format changed

I updated to V6 and realising my /error I backed up my iPad via iTunes and restored using the V5. app. Notebooks would not sync back into V5. app - Soooo restored and now left with v6 and multiple toilet roles

I tried to roll back as I had the old penultimate V5 on my computer without notebooks backed up as not all of us use evernote or iTunes 

So can achieve a clean version of v5. Penultimate -though my old notebooks are gone gone gone

Truly evernote even the update has not solved the issues and it remains for my and many others a non functional product - I need this for my work 

Please take the advice and roll back for us all and when V6 is ready we will all migrate

Biggest lesson is BACKUP INDEPENDENTLY YOUR data - had I done that I would still be on V% and waiting for a useable upgrade.

Help us we are all appealing to you - stop ignoring us we are in December now and still no sign of fixes

Since the update, my JOT Script pen does not work well. Writing with it is impossible. If someone from Evernote actually reads these posts please let me know what to do. The previous version worked great. This version is terrible, rendering my expensive pen useless.

Since the update, my JOT Script pen does not work well. Writing with it is impossible. If someone from Evernote actually reads these posts please let me know what to do. The previous version worked great. This version is terrible, rendering my expensive pen useless.

Same here, I even had my JotScript replaced (for free) but it didn't change anything! I gave up on penultimate about a month ago and have been working with Wacom Bamboo.. A huge relieve and a well working note taking app! My suggestion to evernote is to dump penultimate and OEM Bamboo! 

No the solution is not dump penultimate but to return to penultimate 5.3.1. If you have never used 5.3.1 then you don't know how good an app it is. Bamboo is not even close in usability to 5.3.1. Maybe that is Evernotes plan - to wait it out until the 5.3.1 users go elsewhere and all that is left are users who only know the piece junk that is version 6. Erase the past and the future will think its great, kinda like the communist mentality.

I lost several of my notes and all my notebooks I had on my ipad. This is a terrible update. If something doesn't change soon, I will need to find a better solution. I lost some very critical content which I guess is my fault for trusting the app. Somebody help!

Archived