Page Viewing feature

thm43608

Idea

In the new update of Penultimate, the pages are continuous instead of clicking to flip pages, you just scroll down to access new pages. I do like this, but I don't see the feature to see all the pages and select the one you want to go to. For instance, I date my notes in a notebook and I may want to go to a date in the middle. I do not want to have to scroll through all the pages to get there. Is there a way to see all the pages and select the one you want to see? This feature was available in the previous version of the app.

11 replies to this idea

How does the scrolling function actually work? I am not seeing any way to do this.

In general, this new, "improved" interface is a whole lot less intuitive than the one it replaced.

The app is not workable without an obvious way to scroll through the pages of a notebook.

Unbelievably stupid change.  Where is this documented?  Why do I have to read the fine print of a simple app or create a log in to a user forum in order to re-learrn a simple function that was self-evident in the previous version???????

Then there is the absence of ready access to the tools.  You have to remember not to hit a check box if you want tools. Otherwise you upload changes you might have wanted to undo instead.  If you make that mistake, you cannot subsequently undo.  Instead you have to erase.

Stupid, stupid, user un-friendly changes.

You guys have a taken a great app ten steps backward.

How about you roll back and give us version 5 back?  Then go back to the drawing board and think about how your user base has been using this app for the last several years before you start making wholesale changes to it.

I've just downloaded the new version and do not understand the interface... I'm quite computer literate thank you, and I've used hundreds of apps but I just don't get how I'm supposed to 'scroll' within the pages. The interface is not intuitive at all, maybe the developers went a little bit too far into making the interface 'clean'. Somestimes it's just handy to have the buttons you need up there. Furthermore: there is no help / support option within the app, or I can't find it within the 'clean'  interface. When I search for Help on the web on the Evernote site, I get support with pictures and instructions for the 'old' interface. I do not get this!?! Get your act together people! Grrrrrrr!

OK I got it now, you're supposed to scroll using 2 fingers. I guess when I opened the new app there was some kind of instruction thing, which I also didn't understand (really, I didn't get if you had to swipe or scroll the instruction and then suddenly it was gone and no way to get it back. Been trying some more things and the interface is annoying me even more:

- Now I need more gestures than I did before to do something: when I want to erase something, I now have to expand the menu first before i can access the eraser.

- The icons look too much alike, it's hard finding the 'eraser on the bottom of a pencil' between the other icons. Why are all icons exactly the same color.

- When you scroll downward, your text is behind the icons, making them even harder to find.

- It's too confusing: sometimes you have to tap and hold to get icons (on the preview screen), sometimes you have to tap inside a big circle to access your notes, within the page you have to use the buttons on the top, but also make gestures...

- IT'S NOT INTUITIVE!!!!! I'm getting all kinds of accidental lines drawn inside my notes because of gestures that aren't recognized.

- How am I supposed to operate the scrolling when using a pen?

I am getting more disappointed by the minute. Please bring back the old interface! This was not a good move on your side, you're killing a perfectly good app this way!

I agree with the previous post.  If there is a means of "downgrading" back to the prior version, I would prefer that.   My critique items: 

1.  You rolled this out without sufficient documentation on how it works.  It is NOT intuitive. 

2.  Your "support" function has taken a dive for the worse:  before, I was pleased to deal with you because I could write in and ask questions.  Now I have to be gouged $5 a month to become a premium member of Evernote, an app I bought, but don't really need or want.   I do need and want the exact functionality I had in the last Penultimate version.  

3.  The two finger scroll method is awkward and caused a lot of unintended extra marks for unsuccessful scroll attempts.   Each mark requires me to go into a menu and then "undo", which is time-consuming and cumbersome.   

4.  The "improved" indexing seems to have lower functionality.  Maybe there are functions you have chosen not to document anywhere that are super duper, but since they are not national security secrets, how about posting them in a current user guide so we can know them too?   (By the way, who is the Einstein that decided to roll out a new product and keep the old user guide on the support page?)  

5.  All of my existing files defaulted to the largest new font size.  If you were going to change my existing files without my knowledge or permission, you should have given me a way to modify all of them back.    

The most important part of my critique:   I think it is nothing but company greed to change the product in a way that requires me to ask for more help, and then suddenly start charging for that help.   I used to wholeheartedly recommend this app to professional colleagues and friends and family.  You have probably gotten 50-100 sales due to my referrals.   I am currently shopping for a replacement app because of the breach of trust of this "gouging."   

Help

This new update is a disaster. I now can't see my individual pages. Where has the trash bin gone? I can't find any information about the new controls. The full screen option is not wanted. It has removed the tool bar I knew how to use.

I have 300 pages of notes that I have to go through page by page?

Very frustrated.

Yes, agree with all of the above - inability to look at thumbnails of pages has sabotaged the whole thing for me - I use it every other day at work, but can't see how I can do so any more - incredibly annoying, loved the way that it syncs with Evernote, but now it's un useable (plus I hate the new 'digital' design - used to love the brown notebooks)

I agree with all of the negative comments about Penultimate v. 6.  Someone really missed the design boat here and it doesn't reflect well on Evernote team.  I have used Evernote for several years now and it seemed like the new Evernote version updates on each occasion did not so drastically depart from the earlier version in each instance.  With this new Penultimate v6 there is such a radical departure from the user's point of view that I wonder who was paying attention to this new version at all.  I am hoping there is a radical redesign of v6 to accomplish this and more.  Also, where is the User Guide for Penultimate 6?

Archived