(Archived) pdf not searchable after upgrade

I recently upgraded to a premium account and I was under the assumption that a premium account enables scanner generated pdf's to be searchable. I am not having any luck since the upgrade. Is there is anything I need to do or are my uploads preformed while I was a free user not automatically treated as a premium.

Thanks

Which client are you using to search? (Note that there are separate forms for Windows, Mac, etc.)

The current Windows 3.5 beta 3 client has a bug on some platforms that breaks PDF searching. If you are using Windows version 3.5,

Can you please try:

File > Exit

Download and install this pre-release version of the Windows client:

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/ ... aseWinBeta

I am using 1.5.2 on two macs and 3.1 on my pc at work and I can not search these particular pdf's in any client. Pdf's that I create via simple conversion in OSX search fine. However, the pdf's that were created by our Kyocera scanner at work are not searchable. Is it possible that the pdf's created by some scanners is not supported?

If you have a Premium account, then we should try to OCR scans from any scanner. You can confirm if a scan has been processed by right-clicking on it and choosing the "Save Searchable PDF As..." option to try to save the OCR version of the document. If this option isn't available, we haven't run OCR on your document.

If your local scanner does its own OCR, we won't bother processing the document a second time, so if you select and search text within the original PDF, then we don't process it.

I have had a premium account for a number of months, but I too have noticed that the PDFs I uploaded recently are not searchable. I am also using Evernote 1.5.2 for Mac. I tried right-clicking on the PDFs I uploaded yesterday and there is no "Save Searchable PDF As..." option available. I created the PDF files with a ScanSnap S510M, but the scanner did not do its own OCR (as it is still not working correctly with Snow Leopard).

I also am not seeing the save seachable pdf as option in 1.5.2. The snow leopard fix has been released for the scansnap you should be able to update now. I will be getting my new scansnap this week and I hope that this will fix the issues I have been observing with the kyocera scanner at work.

Okay, the last few posts are making me feel a little better - at least in terms that I'm not doing something wrong. A PDF I put up yesterday as well as some I put up early this morning are not searchable. I'm using an older scanner (HP 1210 all-in-one) and was worried it wasn't going to work with Evernote. Maybe it will be after all.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I love evernote and use it daily. I just need help on a few issues.

I was in the process of cleaning up my mail on the WINDOWS machine and converted some mail to PDF, Sent it to Evernote (Premium) account. I cannot get the PDF to be searchable. I have read some of the posts regarding attachments. The premium account states it searches PDFs.

Is there a time frame that we have to wait for a PDF to be searchable?

Why is the PDF size limitation so small?

I was amazed that someone posted that they not only pasted the WORD Document into a note but the PDF as well. THey must have some very small documents; or else I am doing something wrong. I have Acrobat 8 Professional and it will allow a package (different files into one) PDF. When I send evernote a pdf created by this package, Evernote has issues and I can only assuming because it was too large. I sent a couple of tests through, one test it would not even show up. Another test came through with text saying there was an attachment but nothing was clickable.

Am I on the right track with this thinking?

Help.

Mrs Notetaker

Mrs_notetaker -

If you are creating PDFs directly from other applications (like Word), then they should be searchable immediately after you drag them into Evernote. There's only a delay if you are scanning images into PDF documents. Then, your PDF must go up to our servers, be processed, and then synchronize down.

The current Windows 3.5 beta 3 client has a bug on some platforms that breaks PDF searching. If you are using Windows version 3.5,

Can you please try:

File > Exit

Download and install this pre-release version of the Windows client:

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/ ... aseWinBeta

HI,

We are narrowing down the issue. I use two Evernote accounts. One Free (at work) and One PREMIUM (My home personal one). I am at work and I converted the emails to PDFs and then sent those PDFs as email attachments to the premium account. Your servers have to process these.

At work:

Windows Client is currently set to Evernote Version 3.1.0.1224 (57740) and I use this one for a free WORK evernote account. This is only used for WORK related items. When I want to send something personal, I use the email feature to send to my personal PREMIUM account. I am having the issue when attaching the PDF to an email. Sometimes it shows up and sometimes it does not (I can only assume size limitation). Sometimes it is clickable and sometimes it shows up as TEXT only. Other times it does not show up at all.

At Home:

Purchased EVERNOTE Premium that I use for my Windows and MAC machines. I will let you know what version but I know that it is the current one. I am in both EVERNOTE accounts daily. I can test your theory when I get home tonight for the windows machine. My MAC client is the most current one Evernote 1.5.2 (62233) and it attaches to the PREMIUM account but it comes to work witih me.

I hope I did not confuse you.

Mrs Notetaker

If you send email to the incoming address of a Premium account, it should create a note with all of the attachments included unless they are bigger than 25MB. Some mail clients do strange things with mail formatting, so we've seen some random problems in the past with mail encoding, but I think it works most of the time now.

You may want to try Exporting notes from one account and then Import them into the other account. This will preserve their contents and formatting much better than email.

Archived