Work chat with students/colleagues

ckvam

I wonder, does anyone know how it might be to use work chat to give comments and discuss with students in their shared notebooks?

I am a premium user and have shared class notebooks with my classes, then shared another with editing rights with each of my students, and I have wanted to be able to just hit "like" or say "great, go ahead" or more, when I see they have uploaded something or are on their way with an assignment.

Is Work chat my answer? I am testing it out with a few already but am not sure how it works, really. Anyone else tried this?

I also wonder WHY Evernote does not automatically find the person I am sharing the note with as I click 'share' and choose email or, as of lately,  'chat' - wouldn't that person be the obvious default choice? Instead, unless the person's address is in my contact list (and honestly I'm not sure which one of my contact databases it is the program accesses...I am on my work computer, but it seems to be my google contacts) - I have to type in the address from memory or look it up. Just slightly annoying as is seems a simple thing to offer - maybe it isn't.

Hi

Yes Work Chat will use the local Contacts app (Contacts.app on Mac, Outlook on Windows) and Google Contacts (all platforms + web) as a source of contacts.  You must either connect or grant access to the contacts before Work Chat will show you information from these data sources.

OK so I discovered it's the google contacts that appear in chat. Fair enough. Just please, someone show if it's possible to have the sharer of the notebook set as a default recipient...

I'm not sure what you mean by default recipient.  In New Chats we will show you an alphabetical list of your contacts which you can search and filter to the person you want to reach out to.  Once you start using Work Chat, we will suggest recent chats or if you attach a note or notebook, chats that reference those things as possible chats to continue the discussion with.  

So in a hypothetical case

- You share a notebook with your students via Work Chat (available now via the latest versions of all the apps)

- You see one of your students upload something new to the notebook

- If you start work chat from the note list of the notebook (mobile clients) we will suggest the original chat in which you shared the notebook with your students

- you have the option to choose that chat OR start a new one with just the student that uploaded the note

- if you start work chat from the note which the student uploaded, most likely the suggested list will only show recent chats since there are no chats that reference that new note.  You can choose whichever recipient you'd like from your Contacts or enter an email address of someone you'd like to share the note with

This is a little bit clearer with Evernote Business since we automatically show you all users that are a part of your business with each new chat.

Hope this helps.

Archived