Bugs and Concerns

Chad Lawson

Idea

Hello,

First of all let me say that Evernote is my go-to suite for managing my... well, everything. It truly is my "external brain" as it were. I am a proud Premium member and use the application on my Mac, iOS devices, and web on a daily basis.

For that reason, I would like to take this time to document some issues and concerns I have been having. I have held off in the hope that it would get better and then waiting for the new versions after Yosemite and iOS 8 but instead things are getting worse.

BUG: The Document Camera feature is broken on my iPad mini. I have tried everything. I've "force quit" the app, rebooted, logged out, deleted/re-installed the app, and even reinstalled the OS. Document camera at best will crash when a photo is taken and at worse completely lock up the app when I call it up.

BUG: The iOS version on my 4S will show me the login screen or present a dialog that it couldn't connect to the sync service on launch more often than not. It has only happened a couple of times on the iPad.

BUG (or feature request): I can not cut/paste non-text items (photos, attachments) from phone note to another on iOS. Due to the document camera issue mentioned above, I have often used my phone to capture documents into a note while continuing to type on my iPad. The document will come in as a second note, but I can not cut and paste the items into my typed note.

UI Frustrations:

1) On both iOS platforms, I can use the shortcuts to get to "Document Camera" mode but all it does is get me to the camera. Unless it was the last feature I used, I still have to select it as the camera mode.

2) Getting in and out of "full screen" mode and/or making the sidebar disappear requires going to the top of the note. If I'm far down in a note during a meeting and I need to get to another note, scrolling all the way to the top to get to the arrow is a complete pain in the ASCII.

3) Similarly, getting access to tags can only be done at the top of the page and requires the 'i' to get to. These should be easier. Either through use of "pull down" or swipe gestures, the entire UI needs an overhaul for usability.

4) The list of things I can do on one platform but not another (modifying dates, tagging location via map, merge notes, create table of contents, tabs vs. spaces, etc.) is getting larger not smaller. I certainly don't want you to dumb down to the lowest common denominator of platforms, but please work towards closing this gap.

All of these also come to this: I feel you are trying too hard to make one application do everything. Focus on making Evernote a GREAT note taking app, and separate out other features into other apps that can connect and hand-off instead. A mobile app should do one thing REALLY well and then connect to others for the rest.

You have an amazing platform and infinite potential. Please don't try to do too much too fast. Focus on what made you great in the first place and keep that solid before building on top of it. Too many platforms/apps have made that mistake.

Thanks for listening,

Chad Lawson

1 reply to this idea

Archived