Drag&drop mail message from Apple Mail.app to Evernote - changed behavior

MLallo

Idea

I love Evernote and use it as a core component of my workflow, and I've experienced a recent inconvenient change in its behavior.

I run MacOS 10.8.5 on my Desktop and MacOS 10.9.5 on my Laptop. On both these systems I use Apple's Mail.app client for my email. I regularly use and update the various versions of Evernote as they are released. The behavior in question is when I drag a mail message out of Mail.app and drop it into the body of an Evernote.

Behavior on both systems prior to Evernote 5.7 is shown in ScreenSnap1. The message is represented with its subject and size, and a button to preview the mail (appears to call Apple's built-in preview functionality). There is also a button to download the .eml file, and clicking anywhere else in the region brings up the mail message in Mail.app. Handy-dandy indeed.

Behavior on both systems since updating to 5.7 (currently running 5.7.1) now results in ScreenSnap2, i.e. a text link to the mail message which when clicked on brings up the message in Mail.app. Notice there is now no indication of the subject, size, nor any preview ability. (Note that messages that had been dragged into Evernote prior to this change still look and behave as they did in the previous versions. But I cannot create anything new that looks like this)

I've not been able to troubleshoot this, nor have I found here discussions of similar experiences. Help!?
Thank you,
Matt

ScreenSnap1.tiff

ScreenSnap2.tiff

7 replies to this idea

I have the same problem and is something beyond a look&feel issue, and makes that new functionality in something completely unuseful for me:

When the mail was dropped as shown in ScreenSnap1, you "physically" added the email file as an attachment to the note. To be more specific, the .eml file was added fully to the note. That means that you can then open the mail in any other device, since the file is "there" everytime

From the new stupid functionality shown in ScreenSnap2 the email file itself is no more added to the note but a silly link that points to the original email client that owned the email. The link is only an order to the email client to open the file, but the file is NOT in the note. That means that if you try to open the link in any other device, the mail or the email client is not there, so anybody answer.... completely stupid.

I found a workaround dropping the email first to a finder folder and then drag-and-dropping it from finder to the note... but that solution is painful when your basic daily work is based in adding work emails in your notes :(... as a premium member a tried to contact evernote support but the only answer I got is that they are too busy to manage all questions.... pretty good guys.... :(

so... here I am waiting for a solution (and meanwhile testing other solutions before my premium subscription ends...). I hope some Evernote guy can read this and find a solution to this annoying issue...

Thanks!!

Since updating to Evernote 6.0 I have the same problem here (running OSX 10.10.1).

Before updating to 6.0 the error occured with some mails (with not understandable reasons: sometimes all mails from one sender had the problem and after rebooting drag and drop works well with the same sender's mails).

But since updating, I can only drop Mails in Evernote with this link. This is not working for me at all - like GregGago I need to have the whole eml-file in my note. :(

Any suggestions?

This doesn't speak to directly trouble-shooting the feature change, but since it DOES reference mail-into-Evernote from the Apple Mail app, I wanted to post:

I use an Apple Mail plugin called EverMail that adds a button to my toolbar whereby I can send emails into Evernote with a single click. I've been using it for a couple months and I find it very helpful and haven't encountered bugs. Details are here: http://www.chungwasoft.com/evermail/

This doesn't speak to directly trouble-shooting the feature change, but since it DOES reference mail-into-Evernote from the Apple Mail app, I wanted to post:

I use an Apple Mail plugin called EverMail that adds a button to my toolbar whereby I can send emails into Evernote with a single click. I've been using it for a couple months and I find it very helpful and haven't encountered bugs. Details are here: http://www.chungwasoft.com/evermail/

Great app "karenjs: thanks for pointing it out for me. :)

Archived