What are the limitations on the Evernote App for iPad

I primarily use Evernote on my iPad and iPhone as my employer does not allow external programs / apps to be downloaded onto my work computer.

I have having a hard time understanding the limitations - for eample, can I make notebook stacks on the iPad or iPhone app? I also would like to attach Word, Excel and Powerpoint files into existing notes but the app only seems to support photos, etc.

Is there a guide for using the Evernote App for iPad / iPhone?

Yes! In fact, there is a whole Evernote Knowledge Base (KB) on their company site. The link to it's Homepage is the first link below, and you can navigate it via the search engine in the upper left side of the screen.

http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/product/evernote/

This next link, taken from the KB, is the Getting Started Guide for iPads.

http://evernote.com/evernote/guide/ios/

There are lots of other great resources available, including this forum, Google and YouTube.

Cheers!

The main difference with the iOS apps - and all other mobile clients, for that matter - is that there is a lack of "batch-editing" capability. In that sense you will have to wait for a more opportune time (i.e. when you have access to a desktop) to do the "heavy lifting"/ admin work, such as sorting, reshuffling, tagging, etc. 

You can most certainly make notebook stacks... just have to tinker to find that functionality. Even if you were not able to, I doubt it would be a biggie - like most of the "missing" features. Having said that, there has been a tendency for the mobile apps, over time, to start taking on some of the functions the desktop client could only previously afford one. One such example is the relatively recent addition of the ability to duplicate notes. 

The text editing is also a lot more simple... one cannot change font size, which is a big deal for some... however, we will have to wait and see what the common editor looks like across all platforms - whether they all have exactly the same features, or whether there's a standardization of the formatting behind the scenes.

For now, it seems, we can only create a link within the iOS context menu, say, in Dropbox and send that link to Evernote. I don't see a way of getting Word, excel files, etc into Evernote on iPad/ iPhone. In that sense, Dropbox might be a better fit for that particular part of your workflow until perhaps one day it is added to the context menu on Evernote mobile clients. 

Scott pointed out the solution in the comment below...

I switch it up quite a bit on desktop and iOS. The basic functionality overall seems to be there... especially for searching and viewing notes.. but some admin tasks are best done on desktop for now.

For now, it seems, we can only create a link within the iOS context menu, say, in Dropbox and send that link to Evernote. I don't see a way of getting Word, excel files, etc into Evernote on iPad/ iPhone. In that sense, Dropbox might be a better fit for that particular part of your workflow until perhaps one day it is added to the context menu on Evernote mobile clients. 

It IS possible to add any file to an evernote note as an attachment by selecting "Open In...." from Dropbox and choosing "evernote"

(Wait... let me test this first. Be right back.)

Confirmed, you can use Dropbox's "Open In...." and select Evernote to add any file you like as an attachment to a new note (it is not possible to add a new file to an existing note).

It IS possible to add any file to an evernote note as an attachment by selecting "Open In...." from Dropbox and choosing "evernote"

(Wait... let me test this first. Be right back.)

You're absolutely right Scott! Thanks!

So from Dropbox (at least) directly to Evernote, there is a solution :-)

The limitations are epic, they are design related, and I can't list them all here from memory.  First of all, the app fails to make use of the iPad screen, relegating information (buttons, folders, files) to tiny little text lists on the side of the screen.  If you open a note, it only opens with part of the page, and you are required to touch another tiny button each time to open the file to full screen. There are no folders like in the desktop version, only lists of the folders, on the side of the screen.  The 'refresh' button is hidden. It should be prominent.   Editing is terrible.  The entire operation is cumbersome and not fluid.  The 'new note' button is small, and not prominent.  The tiniest little button (half a centimeter or less) is what you have to push to select what folder your file will be in. The design is just terrible.  Just terrible.  When I saw the old version of evernote at a Best Buy, it had the actual folders like the desktop version. An evernote representative told me that was the old design.  Please 'unfix' the Evernote disaster!  Make this app usable!  You've killed it!

• Level 5*

I primarily use Evernote on my iPad and iPhone as my employer does not allow external programs / apps to be downloaded onto my work computer.

I have having a hard time understanding the limitations - for eample, can I make notebook stacks on the iPad or iPhone app? I also would like to attach Word, Excel and Powerpoint files into existing notes but the app only seems to support photos, etc.

Is there a guide for using the Evernote App for iPad / iPhone?

The Evernote mobile apps, including EN iOS (iPad and iPhone) are clearly second class apps.

IMO, they are geared more towards viewing/searching existing Notes, and to creating quick, on-the-go, Notes than they are to creating long, complex notes, and to maintaining your Evernote structure/organization.  Frankly, IMO, you need to use either EN Mac or EN Win as your primary Evernote client to manage Evernote organization.

Unfortunately, no one to tell you exactly what the limitations are of EN iOS vs EN desktop -- it's a moving target and, like always, Evernote provides very little up-to-date documentation.

We have been asking for years for Evernote to provide us with a feature comparison table showing the features vs platform/client.

But for some mysterious reason they have ignored/declined to do so.

The Evernote KB is of limited use because it is often inaccurate and out-of-date.

Archived