Arrow Keys to Navigate Presentation

ENnut

Idea

First time I've actually needed to use Presentation Mode today. I select two notes, hit cmd-return, and I see the first note. Pressing right arrow (per KB) does *not* take me to the next note. Neither do any of the other key combos I tried. Anyone know how?

10.9.5 EN 5.7.2

13 replies to this idea

I'm thinking this is a bug, as I got to my office this morning and see the same behavior on all Macs here. Can any of you select a couple notes, press cmd-return to go to Presentation mode, and then use the arrow keys (or any other key combo) to move between the selected notes?

I am having this same issue.  I have been using presentation mode seamlessly for my lectures for over a year now and this just started for me with the new update to 5.7.2.  I'm on a mac too.  Hope they figure it out soon. Will be using a different app until it's fixed.  

OK same with me too. I was just preparing my presentation for tomorrow when I noticed that I cannot create one. Same thing. Only the first one shows. And no Start Presentation button here either. I am a Premium subscriber since last summer and this has not been a problem until now. Bummer. I chatted with someone and they said that they will escalate this to the programmers or something. Let's see. 

Glad I am not the only one. This may help solve it quicker. 

• Evernote Expert

Yeah guys and at the same time, Please do fix up the Inbuilt image annotation feature within the Windows Client as well.. It was working seamlessly, unless you guys let out the last couple of releases, and now its totally breaking an existential workflow :(

The new version removed certain functions around presenting multiple notes.
Our reasoning is that usually, all you want to do is present a single note and the current version gets rid of many buttons that would let you navigate to the next or previous note which are usually unrelated to what you’d like to present. By focusing on single note presentations, we were able to improve the user interface drastically and avoid clutter.

If you want to present multiple notes, you can use the ‘table of contents’ feature (multiselect wanted notes and press 'create table of content in mac multiselect view). We feel that this is the best and quickest way to prepare a collection of notes (or your entire notebook) which you can then easily present.
-ENTER to open a note
- CMD-[  or use the back button to go back to the TOC to choose another note to present
- CMD-] you can return from TOC to previously presented note

Hmmm, well OK. Then I need to select all the notes and make a TOC, then proceed like this: TOC -> Note1 ->TOC -> Note2 -> TOC -> Note3 using a kinda cumbersome (for me anyway) key combo. Alternatively, combine/edit all the notes into a single note and present that.

I wish I could just select the individual notes, cmd-return, then arrow between the notes.

• Level 5*

In the Windows version,  if you wave your cursor around the right or left-hand edges of the screen,  you get a 'next page' arrow ">" - not a key combo I know,  bit it is still a way to move between pages. 

Reading @Kati's post above,  if the proposal is seriously that you create a TOC for a series of notes,  then page through them in the way that @ENnut said,  that's total horsefeathers and totally negates any value in the Presentation mode.  Evernote's preaching 'keep meetings short' - showing off a few slides now takes at least twice as long shuttling back and forth to the TOC page and dealing with the catcalls from around the table - "seen that one!".

Had a second opportunity to use Presentation Mode this morning. Unexpectedly, a client stopped by and wanted to review a project. I have 57 notes on the project. Would've been nice to select them all, go into Presentation Mode and move thru them with the arrow keys. There was no time to make a single note presentation or a TOC.

Removing the arrow key navigation was a bad decision, EN.

Ugh--I'm a bit annoyed with this slide progression workflow through TOC.  I tried it out during my class lecture and found it cumbersome.  I wrote to support and after several days of waiting I was offered this lame response:

Your patience is appreciated, as we have received a large influx of Tickets recently which has affected our initial response time.

Yes, first thing I would like to have you do is to reinstall the application per the following steps.

1. If Evernote is running, press Command + Q to quit the Evernote application
  2. Open the Applications folder and drag Evernote to the Trash
  3. Right-click (or Ctrl + Click) on the Trash and select Empty Trash
  4. Reboot your computer
  5. Download and install Evernote for Mac from www.evernote.com/download
  6. Drag the Evernote icon into your Applications folder
  7. Open Evernote and login to your Evernote account

I tried it anyway with the hopes that this would be the fix, but the same problem persisted.  I'm now on EN 6.0 and am hoping with more outcry from frustrated users, they'll include an update that'll allow the arrow keys to move to the next note like before.  

In the Windows version,  if you wave your cursor around the right or left-hand edges of the screen,  you get a 'next page' arrow ">" - not a key combo I know,  bit it is still a way to move between pages. 

Reading @Kati's post above,  if the proposal is seriously that you create a TOC for a series of notes,  then page through them in the way that @ENnut said,  that's total horsefeathers and totally negates any value in the Presentation mode.  Evernote's preaching 'keep meetings short' - showing off a few slides now takes at least twice as long shuttling back and forth to the TOC page and dealing with the catcalls from around the table - "seen that one!".

You might be happy to learn that 6.0.4 BETA 2 brings back the much requested possibility to present multiple notes again. Please give it a try and let us know what you think (note the keys are not 'just' left/right anymore but CMD+left/right).

Archived