Evernote for Mac v5.7.2 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

We released Evernote for Mac v5.7.2 this morning.  There aren't any customer fixes in this release.  The only change we made was a minor tweak for internal Evernote reporting purposes.  

Most of the Mac team is heads down working on our big Yosemite redesign.  It's looking pretty slick.  It won't be too much longer.  

As usual, let us know if you see any issues.  There shouldn't be anything different from 5.7.1 but one never knows so please report it in this thread.

If you want to download the build you can get it at: http://bit.ly/113zBGA.

By the way, if you use twitter you can follow me @softwaremarcus.

54 replies to this idea

I agree about the presentation mode. Removing this feature of showing multiple notes in one presentation IS the only useful option for that (at least for me).

Now it is useless for me and maybe others too.

Removing it without any warning is very bad service. Especially if all the videos showing that feature like it was before. Lost hours of try and error to get it work.

Please bring the multinote presentation feature back! I like to have options to structure stuff/notes like I want it - not to have somebody else decide how i have to want it.

The idea to use a TOC to structure a presentation with multiple notes is clumsy to say the least.

Thanks! 

Anthony

We've noticed that the communication of removing the navigation regarding multi note presentations was not done well, we can definitely improve that in the future.

The plan is still to support multi note presentations in the future, unfortunately right now in Mac only the way I described above. However this will also get improved and hopefully we'll soon have similar navigation that you seem to have enjoyed a lot earlier. 

Please keep the invaluable feedback coming! It's very important to us to see that many users have found something useful or not useful so we can also prioritize certain changes in the future!

I also was keen to see the new iMac version when 5.6 was announced. I gave up waiting after over a month - the Mac Appstore version which is still today at 5.5 and took the plunge and deleted the Appstore version and downloaded the direct version.

The process was remarkably easy. I did back up the notes as with 7000+ notes I did not want to download them again. Was not necessary as the new version migrated the existing notes. Was all very smooth. 

I note that Skitch has been updated several times in the past few weeks in the Mac Appstore. So, looks like there is some problem with Evernote in the Mac Appstore.

Regarding EN for iMac. I'd like a small additional option: please have an option to toggle on/off the recent notebooks for the Move command (you have this now in the View sidebar options). When you select a Note to move to another Notebook the recent list appears first (OK) and for those of use with a small list of Notebooks and stacks this recent list makes a visual change to the known list of Notebooks. What this means is each time the recent notebook list changes the list of possible notebooks to move to also changes.

It's a small thing but would improve the usability for some of us. Not urgent by any means. Please work first on maintaining good quality and higher speed !

Help! After downloiading the latest update on my iPhone, The Evernote ap on my mac pro is corrupt. All data is complete for the time being on my phone, but my evernote icon is gone form my MacPro. When I do a search. here is my results

"You can’t open the application “Evernote” because it may be damaged or incomplete."

Now what? 

I'm having the same problem, though I haven't yet updated my iPad.  Just installed the update on my Mac Pro.  Icon is still in Dock but with a "No Entry" icon (circle with slash).  When I click on it, I get the message Stickerguy noted: "Cannot open the application Evernote.app because it may be damaged or incomplete."  Tried restarting my Mac but no change.

Like Stickerguy said, "Now what?"

I'm afraid to try to download from the website, as I don't know if this will make it worse or lose my data.

I'm not a Premium user - where do I go for help????  Will try logging trouble ticket anyway.

Kati,

I am sorry to be blunt about this but I think this time your reasoning was wrong in guessing what we want. Single note presentations are not even presentations. They are just that: single notes. It just doesn't make any sense. Presentation mode? How ridiculous! You may as well just call it Full Screen note. What for? So wrong of you to assume that. I think most of us were super happy with the way it was. I will put in my vote right here to BRING BACK THE WAY IT WAS. Select all the notes I want to present, then Start Presentation and spacebar or arrow between the notes. THAT was a pretty awesome feature, with the fade out and all. The new way is worth nothing to me. 

You've created even more clutter now: Note, back arrow to Table of Contents, another note, back arrow to Table of Contents, another note, back arrow to Table of Contents.... All these back arrows to Table of Contents are surplus moves that I just don't understand how they make things easier.

It is possible to overthink things sometimes. In my opinion, you were successful at that.  

App is already at 5.7.2, yet the Mac App Store is still at 5.5.1...  *sigh*

The Mac App Store channel is very important and we are working to update all our customers with a new version.  I'm also a hard core Mac App Store user and only purchase software via this channel so I get why it's important.  

Let me be perfectly open about the process and why we haven't released in the Mac App Store yet.  The way this works is that we have to submit our software to Apple and they have to review and approve it so there is always a slight delay between when we submit our software and when the app reaches customers.  It typically takes a week but it could take longer if there are issues found.  Also from a software development standpoint we have to create a special version just for the Mac App Store because of special requirements including in-app purchases and different UI.  For example the Software Update preference tab doesn't appear in the Mac App Store version because all updates are via Apple's update process.  Although the software isn't entirely different, it is different enough that we have to run through all of our tests again to make sure everything continues to work. This takes time.  Because of this process, we release updates to the Mac App Store differently than the direct download channel.

We've been trying to submit a Mac App Store version for awhile and actually submitted version 5.7 last week but we had to pull it because of various issues such as the Software Update preference tab appearing in the app...and remember it shouldn't appear.  I just submitted another version a couple of hours ago.  

I just wanted to make sure everyone is aware that we do value our Mac App Store customers and that Evernote will be updated soon.  I do want to caution that since we haven't submitted an App Store release in awhile and since this is a complete rewrite of Evernote, it is very likely an issues will be discovered that would delay the release.  This is the reason we typically don't talk about release dates but clearly there has been a lot of questions in the forums so I wanted to provide an update on where we are in the process and to assure everyone that Mac App Store customers will be getting a new version of Evernote.

• Level 5*

The Mac App Store channel is very important and we are working to update all our customers with a new version.  I'm also a hard core Mac App Store user and only purchase software via this channel so I get why it's important.  

Let me be perfectly open about the process and why we haven't released in the Mac App Store yet..

Thanks, Markus.  Openness is always appreciated.  I realize there is some risk with that, but there are significant rewards: improved customer trust.   :)

Here are my two cents: The Presentation Mode is not working correctly. If I select more than one note at a time, like you should in order to create a presentation, Evernote opens only the first one and th

ere is no way to get to the others. I tried them all, arrows, space bar, etc. Also the Start Presentation button from the middle screen is gone, so you either have to use the cmd-enter or pull down menu. Still it doesn't work. Not to even mention that some annotation tools in presentation mode would be great. I've heard some talk about it but am not sure if this is reality yet. Maybe too much to ask. 

This function is working on the PC laptops. I guess they haven't "upgraded" yet. 

Just to let you know. Of course, I have a presentation to give tomorrow... just in time. Oh well... 

During Beta testing, this was something I highlighted as issues, the adjustable tables are welcomed but when you pop to Presentation Mode... Aggghhhhhh

Or when you share a link with a table in there, the URL landing is also Aggghhhh when tables are there.

Surely this would be just a task to adjust the window based on display?

Most of the Mac team is heads down working on our big Yosemite redesign.  It's looking pretty slick.  It won't be too much longer. 

"Slick" is nice, but fixing bugs and testing and eliminating bugs before release is much, much better.

Please don't give us a pretty face that is full of bugs.

As a reminder, your CEO Phil Libin promised us on Jan 4, 2014 that Evernote would focus more on quality, improving Evernote, than on new features.

See:

On Software Quality and Building a Better Evernote in 2014 — EN Blog by Phil Libin

Response to Jason Kincaid’s Article:  Evernote, the bug-ridden elephant

One of my favorite quotes by Phil Libin:

Since all Evernote employees are power users by definition, no one is more motivated to make Evernote better just for the sake of our own productivity and sanity. I’ve never seen people happier to just fix bugs.

I really hope this is true.  Most developer's I have known hate debugging -- they'd much rather be creating new, cool stuff.

@JMichael agree with all you have said and you have been on the Bumpy Beta ride too...

To see bugs in a Beta version to be then resolved but with great horror only to see them back in at a later Beta version and now in General Availability to me would say there are serious issues at present within EN.  As a paying customer (EN Premium x2 and EN Business) who has MS Office, I am looking at the traction OneNote is getting and taking into consideration a valid point you made about PowerPoint.  It is getting to the stage where I am questioning my financial contributions to a product that I relied on and trusted...

In relation to EN Business, I have three people using it and I just cannot see how to roll it out to the others...

We diligently note all feedback, categorize it, group it, and prioritize it. Then, we work as fast as we can (nights and weekends included) to get through everything. It's always a difficult balance between feature work with backlog. However, please know that we care about your feedback!

Any time table on a fix or a work-around?

App is already at 5.7.2, yet the Mac App Store is still at 5.5.1...  *sigh*

That might be a good thing as it turns out, as I and a number of others are, I believe, experiencing odd problems with 5.7.2 that we haven't experienced in years of Evernote use..

Evernote for Mac v5.7 is still not available on Mac App Store. Last version on de Mac App Store is 5.5.1 from 8 april 2014!!!

The Mac App Store is so convenient as it automatically looks for all updates of ons software. Thats why I would like to continue with upgrading Evernote this way.

Is Evernote having problems with the Mac App Store. Is the last version not good enough for release.

Your site is saying it "wil be coming soon"?

I would appreciate a bit more transparency form Evernote. When will it be released. If never please let us know

• Level 5*

We've noticed that the communication of removing the navigation regarding multi note presentations was not done well, we can definitely improve that in the future.

The plan is still to support multi note presentations in the future, unfortunately right now in Mac only the way I described above. However this will also get improved and hopefully we'll soon have similar navigation that you seem to have enjoyed a lot earlier. 

Please keep the invaluable feedback coming! It's very important to us to see that many users have found something useful or not useful so we can also prioritize certain changes in the future!

Kati, this is nice.

But it would be MUCH better if you would ASK your users BEFORE you remove a feature.

In all honesty, I don't think Evernote internally has a good grasp on what your customers/users need, and have come to rely on for their daily workflow.

Help! After downloiading the latest update on my iPhone, The Evernote ap on my mac pro is corrupt. All data is complete for the time being on my phone, but my evernote icon is gone form my MacPro. When I do a search. here is my results

"You can’t open the application “Evernote” because it may be damaged or incomplete."

Now what? 

Installed 5.7.2 today.  Evernote now crashes every time I open it after less than a minute.  The crash happens even if I just open the app and do not ask it to do anything. Sync appears to happen, then app crashes.   Evernote support ticket # 812186.  Crash report: Application Specific Information: *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: 'The backslash is a wildcard char, and cannot appear unescaped at the end of a string.'

What can I do to fix the problem?

@TNMerrell & @StickerGuy, Hopefully someone from the Evernote Mac Team replied directly to both of you by now. But since I do not see an answer here, I will reply. Sorry that I just saw this.

I had the same issue. Here is what I had to do. 

1. First, if you have any LOCAL notebooks, back them up on a thumb drive or some other external back up. If all your notebooks are the normal synced kind then all your data is backed up on the Evernote server so you do not need to do anything special.
  2. Use AppCleaner ( http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/ ) to completely remove Evernote. Or another uninstaller but this is the one Jackolicious recommended to me. Note, this app will really clean out every shred of Evernote.
  3. Then reinstall Evernote from the link above.
  4. You will need to log in after Evernote downloads. Then it will need to download all your notes. I have almost 6000 notes and I was actually surprised at how fast the download was. But I would still recommend doing this removal and reinstall when you have some time.

Note, following these steps above is also a good way to go if you want to revert to an earlier version of Evernote.

HTH!

I have been watching the changes at/on Evernote with concern for quite a while.

The people who need to read this thread are not Jackolicious, SoftwareMarcus, or whatever other employees are here. It is the top management that needs to be reading it.

@JMichael, @PhilMoore, and I are all on the early beta test team. When you have three of your most stalwart supporters/power users trying to sound the alarm (repeatedly) someone needs to start listening.

The Evernote Management Team is acting like a desert pack rat always going after the new shiny thing it finds and forgetting about the other items it has in its possession!! Oooo! Let's add sharing! Oooo! Let's add chat! Oooo! Oooo!

The big problem is that all the new shiny things are:

1. Breaking core functionalities that users have depended on - making Evernote less useful.
  2. Bloating Evernote so it is slowing down considerably - making Evernote less useful.
  3. Breaking TRUST!  - making Evernote less useful.

The last one is the big one!! Evernote built itself on that fact that users became loyal and stayed with Evernote.

Remember the slide that Phil used to pull out to show Evernote's "All Cohorts Return Users"? That is what should still be happening! And with all the bloatware that you are adding, I am not sure that you are going to be able to convert new users to long-term premium users. Especially if some strong competition comes along. And OneNote is hot on your tail.

I already find myself rarely recommending Evernote! Why? Because what I was recommending was a phenomenal piece of software that allows a user to "Remember Everything". It was the ultimate for gathering information from everywhere and storing it in an easily retrievable manner.

Now that is no longer Evernote's tag line, nor its focus. 

But the problem is Evernote is also NOT what the new tag line says: "For everything you'll do, Evernote is the workspace to get it done." Get it done only if you want to move at a snail's pace and have functionality you depend on jerked out in favor of the next new shiny stuff. 

The fact that discussions are cropping up in Evernote User groups on LinkedIn and elsewhere comparing OneNote and even giving instructions on how to migrate over all your notes should be setting off alarm bells that something is going sour! But it seems that upper management thinks that the alarm bells mean they need to add more shiny items to the program. 

No! Reality is, when software is functioning well people are not looking to switch!! 

I wish I thought this post was going to be utilized and shift Evernote back onto a more stable path. But I doubt it.

I did go back to the pre 5.7.2 version of Evernote (5.5.1) to get the multi note presentation mode back. Hope you will fix that with some of the future releases.

I have a strategy meeting coming up and had finished all my slides on the "old" (and better) way to use multi note presentation. Had to switch back. Found the old version in the Mac App Store (luckily). Will not upgrade to future version if it is unclear what features disappear ...

But on top of that - thanks for the work you all do at Evernote :)

I did go back to the pre 5.7.2 version of Evernote (5.5.1) to get the multi note presentation mode back. Hope you will fix that with some of the future releases.

I have a strategy meeting coming up and had finished all my slides on the "old" (and better) way to use multi note presentation. Had to switch back. Found the old version in the Mac App Store (luckily). Will not upgrade to future version if it is unclear what features disappear ...

But on top of that - thanks for the work you all do at Evernote :)

Thanks for the feedback. I just did that (revert back to 5.5.1 and disable automatic app updates!) and it is working like we all want it to work. I will also be holding off from updating the app until they fix this issue. Thanks for pointing that out! 

So the people who were complaining about not being able to upgrade through the Apple Store. 

And like you say, I do appreciate all the work you guys are putting in and I love the program. 

Ugljesa

I have been watching the changes at/on Evernote with concern for quite a while.

The people who need to read this thread are not Jackolicious, SoftwareMarcus, or whatever other employees are here. It is the top management that needs to be reading it.

@JMichael, @PhilMoore, and I are all on the early beta test team. When you have three of your most stalwart supporters/power users trying to sound the alarm (repeatedly) someone needs to start listening.

The Evernote Management Team is acting like a desert pack rat always going after the new shiny thing it finds and forgetting about the other items it has in its possession!! Oooo! Let's add sharing! Oooo! Let's add chat! Oooo! Oooo!

The big problem is that all the new shiny things are:

1. Breaking core functionalities that users have depended on - making Evernote less useful.
  2. Bloating Evernote so it is slowing down considerably - making Evernote less useful.
  3. Breaking TRUST!  - making Evernote less useful.

The last one is the big one!! Evernote built itself on that fact that users became loyal and stayed with Evernote.

Remember the slide that Phil used to pull out to show Evernote's "All Cohorts Return Users"? That is what should still be happening! And with all the bloatware that you are adding, I am not sure that you are going to be able to convert new users to long-term premium users. Especially if some strong competition comes along. And OneNote is hot on your tail.

I already find myself rarely recommending Evernote! Why? Because what I was recommending was a phenomenal piece of software that allows a user to "Remember Everything". It was the ultimate for gathering information from everywhere and storing it in an easily retrievable manner.

Now that is no longer Evernote's tag line, nor its focus. 

But the problem is Evernote is also NOT what the new tag line says: "For everything you'll do, Evernote is the workspace to get it done." Get it done only if you want to move at a snail's pace and have functionality you depend on jerked out in favor of the next new shiny stuff. 

The fact that discussions are cropping up in Evernote User groups on LinkedIn and elsewhere comparing OneNote and even giving instructions on how to migrate over all your notes should be setting off alarm bells that something is going sour! But it seems that upper management thinks that the alarm bells mean they need to add more shiny items to the program. 

No! Reality is, when software is functioning well people are not looking to switch!! 

I wish I thought this post was going to be utilized and shift Evernote back onto a more stable path. But I doubt it.

What a great post, Viv.  But unfortunately I think you're right, in that the message just doesn't seem to be getting through to the upper management. They just keep blindly pushing on down their own path, despite many people being able to see the warning signs that Evernote just may disappear up its own ass.  I think it's called "bottom-up programming" :wacko:

If they really DO insist on this never-ending quest for shiny new trinkets at the expense of functionality, then they really need to consider splitting the apps into Evernote Private and Evernote Work, or something similar. Private would have absolutely no need for Work Chat, or for Context, for example. And BOTH versions still need that sorely-missed configurable toolbar that was taken away.

All we poor punters can do is to keep banging on about it, and when we have voices such as yours and other beta testers added to the chorus, then maybe - just maybe - sounds of the insurrection may just reach the deaf ears of top management...!  Hah...!

All we poor punters can do is to keep banging on about it, and when we have voices such as yours and other beta testers added to the chorus, then maybe - just maybe - sounds of the insurrection may just reach the deaf ears of top management...!  Hah...!

No, that's not all we can do. We can find other apps. That's what I did. There is no app I've found that is nearly as good as Evernote USED to be. But at least with Onenote (in my case), I can actually USE it on my computers, iPhone and iPad, which is more than I can say about Evernote these days.

Now what? 

Installed 5.7.2 today.  Evernote now crashes every time I open it after less than a minute.  The crash happens even if I just open the app and do not ask it to do anything. Sync appears to happen, then app crashes.   Evernote support ticket # 812186.  Crash report: Application Specific Information: *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: 'The backslash is a wildcard char, and cannot appear unescaped at the end of a string.'

@TNMerrell & @StickerGuy, Hopefully someone from the Evernote Mac Team replied directly to both of you by now. But since I do not see an answer here, I will reply. Sorry that I just saw this.

I had the same issue. Here is what I had to do. 

1. First, if you have any LOCAL notebooks, back them up on a thumb drive or some other external back up. If all your notebooks are the normal synced kind then all your data is backed up on the Evernote server so you do not need to do anything special.
  2. Use AppCleaner ( http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/ ) to completely remove Evernote. Or another uninstaller but this is the one Jackolicious recommended to me. Note, this app will really clean out every shred of Evernote.
  3. Then reinstall Evernote from the link above.
  4. You will need to log in after Evernote downloads. Then it will need to download all your notes. I have almost 6000 notes and I was actually surprised at how fast the download was. But I would still recommend doing this removal and reinstall when you have some time.

Note, following these steps above is also a good way to go if you want to revert to an earlier version of Evernote.

HTH!

This post says it all! 

It's the beginning of the end for evernote and the best way a product can be ruined. All it takes is for another company to come along and listen to customers to create a great note taking system and evernote will be knocked off it's high horse. Such a shame as I really believe in making evernote a good product but if feels like as a customer, evernote won't let me make it a good product from their complete silence. Evernote, if you're reading, you should never ever neglect your user base. Sorry that's harsh but when you get no response, we get restless.

• Level 5*

WHEN IS THE NEW VERSION COMING TO MAC APP STORE!!!!!!! 

i appear to be in the minority but i WANT work chat! i have it on my iOS devices but NOT my MacBook! ridiculous to not have these releases synchronised 

My recommendation would be the direct download. Apple controls the release timing for the appstore version, not Evernote, so the direct download is always (?) first. Who knows why? Sometimes they kick stuff back to the developers and sometimes they are just slow over at Apple. Heck, they even go on holidays, and that delays releases. This happens with every app. I see no benefit in the Apple appstore for Evernote users. Here are directions (a little outdated) to change, if you are interested.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

WHEN IS THE NEW VERSION COMING TO MAC APP STORE!!!!!!! 

i appear to be in the minority but i WANT work chat! i have it on my iOS devices but NOT my MacBook! ridiculous to not have these releases synchronised 

My recommendation would be the direct download. Apple controls the release timing for the appstore version, not Evernote, so the direct download is always (?) first. Who knows why? Sometimes they kick stuff back to the developers and sometimes they are just slow over at Apple. Heck, they even go on holidays, and that delays releases. This happens with every app. I see no benefit in the Apple appstore for Evernote users. Here are directions (a little outdated) to change, if you are interested.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

There are people who rely on the Mac App Store (mostly in work scenarios, though). If it's not there, they can't have it. 

• Level 5

We diligently note all feedback, categorize it, group it, and prioritize it. Then, we work as fast as we can (nights and weekends included) to get through everything. It's always a difficult balance between feature work with backlog. However, please know that we care about your feedback!

• Level 5*

"Slick" is nice, but fixing bugs and testing and eliminating bugs before release is much, much better.

Please don't give us a pretty face that is full of bugs.

As a reminder, your CEO Phil Libin promised us on Jan 4, 2014 that Evernote would focus more on quality, improving Evernote, than on new features.

See:

On Software Quality and Building a Better Evernote in 2014 — EN Blog by Phil Libin

Response to Jason Kincaid’s Article:  Evernote, the bug-ridden elephant

One of my favorite quotes by Phil Libin:

Since all Evernote employees are power users by definition, no one is more motivated to make Evernote better just for the sake of our own productivity and sanity. I’ve never seen people happier to just fix bugs.

I really hope this is true.  Most developer's I have known hate debugging -- they'd much rather be creating new, cool stuff.

Yosemite look will be great.

But please, review all AppleScript commands, specially find notes (it only searches in all notes even if a notebook is set).

In addition, please add a way to know, via AppleScript, the note local address so we can get e.g. the preview (important to make a good Alfred workflow for example).

Unfortunately right now I had to downgrade...

Thank you in advance.

Version 5.7.x has made notes with long URLs hard to work with since it treats long URLs as long words and calculates the width of notes based on long notes.  Hence I get lots of lines running off the screen.  See a little screencast/demo of the problem.  I've reported the problem (Ticket# 800339).  

To echo JMichael's comment, I too wonder what happened to Evernote's promised focus on quality over new features.  Is it that one can't run Evernote at all on Yosemite, and hence there has to be a new release for Yosemite?  

I am thinking of downgrading to 5.6.2.   I tried just replacing Evernote 5.7.2 with 5.6.2 but got the error message that the version of Evernote is too old for the data in place.  I guess I'll have to wipe the database and download all my notes again if I want to go back to 5.6.2.  [i've found a thread on how to delete the old data.]

To echo JMichael's comment, I too wonder what happened to Evernote's promised focus on quality over new features.  Is it that one can't run Evernote at all on Yosemite, and hence there has to be a new release for Yosemite?  

We do have a high bar for quality and we use many ways to grade ourselves.  One way is by looking at our support and crash statistics and what they tell us is that 5.6.x and 5.7.x overall have reduced issues for most customers.  The other method is the forums.  If one only reads the forums you might get the misperception that Evernote has lots of issues because all the discussions are about problems.  This is a misrepresentation of the real state of affairs.  Most of the millions of customers using Evernote everyday are happy and aren't running into issues. These folks rarely comment in the forums.

With that said, the issues on the forums are real and we take them very seriously but we have to balance the needs of all our customers.  I understand its frustrating when an issues you report and see everyday isn't fixed immediately but we have to prioritize the things that get fixed by how many people it affects, what are the risks of fixing it, what are the strategic needs of the business and our partnerships as well as who we have available on the team to work on the issue.  Also a "fix" may seem straight forward from a user interface perspective but it may not be from a software code perspective.

For example if the issue you're seeing does not appear in 5.6 and only appears in 5.7 it means we "fixed" something but that fix caused this new issue.   These types of situations are the worse because it means we have to try to find a solution that works in both cases which is never easy.  In any case, I've noted the issue and will look into it.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with Evernote -- next to the web browser and email, it's the most important application I run on my Mac every day.   So I prioritize reliability over new features.  Sure, I'd be glad to have new features if stuff doesn't break. 

Every time Evernote upgrades its Mac client, I am then faced with the question:  should I upgrade or not?  I don't want to fall behind too far, but I want the bugs to be shaken out before I upgrade. Maybe I should be more conservative and wait until a version has had time to be out in the public before upgrading.  

At any rate, I'm happy that I've figured out a way to downgrade to 5.6.2.  I'll wait until support confirms that the bug I reported has been fixed.

We do have a high bar for quality and we use many ways to grade ourselves.  One way is by looking at our support and crash statistics and what they tell us is that 5.6.x and 5.7.x overall have reduced issues for most customers.

Please don't kid yourselves. The crash stats are just as skewed as the posts in the forum. Although I am a Windows user, I stopped sending crash reports over a year ago. 98% of the time, they would never go through. I've had countless fatal errors (in the Windows client) over the past couple of years & pretty much each & every time, when I'd try to send the crash report, it would hang. Finally got to the point where I didn't even bother. Fatal errors in the Evernote Windows client became my new normal.

I should also state that just because we're working on new features it doesn't mean we aren't also fixing bugs.  We are always fixing stuff. 

In general, I don't think you can apply your experience from Evernote Windows and apply it to the Mac.  I think the crash reporting on the Mac works pretty well.  With that said, I get your overall point which is all statistics have some bias or inherent flaws but we have to use something.  If the trend line for crashes goes down, I think that's a good thing.

My main point is we do care about the quality of the product and are always working on it.  Just because we don't fix one person's issue immediately is not an indication of our dedication or commitment to quality.

Just because we don't fix one person's issue immediately is not an indication of our dedication or commitment to quality.

I fully understand that. It's the fact that *core* features (scalability, search results and note counts differing between various clients for starters) remain unresolved for *years* that are troublesome to me. But that's hijacking this thread and a topic that I've already discussed in more applicable threads anyway.

• Level 5*

For example if the issue you're seeing does not appear in 5.6 and only appears in 5.7 it means we "fixed" something but that fix caused this new issue.   These types of situations are the worse because it means we have to try to find a solution that works in both cases which is never easy.  In any case, I've noted the issue and will look into it.

Markus, you're actually making my point for me.  Evernote has been very consistent for many months now, actually more than a year, every new release tends to bring a large crop of new bugs, sometimes more new bugs than it fixes.  IMO, regardless of your statistics, this clearly tells me that you guys are NOT doing sufficient internal testing and bug fixing BEFORE you release an update.

I really think you guys need to slow down the update/release cycle, and focus on better testing and releasing an update with no material bugs.  Just like CEO Phil Libin promised you would do last January.

I understand its frustrating when an issues you report and see everyday isn't fixed immediately but we have to prioritize the things that get fixed by how many people it affects, what are the risks of fixing it, what are the strategic needs of the business and our partnerships as well as who we have available on the team to work on the issue. 

Look the bug with tables in Mac affects ALL users who use tables! I reported it in June, and I'm sure I wasn't alone. Certainly there is no "strategic needs of the business" whatsoever. It's just a shameful, pesky, annoying bug that makes tables practically unusable unless you are ok to spend a significant amount of time just moving your cursor.

So please tell: what is the reason it's not fixed yet? Is it risky? Are Evernote's partners against fixing it? Why is "sleek" interface more important than that? 

I agree about the presentation mode. Removing this feature of showing multiple notes in one presentation IS the only useful option for that (at least for me).

Now it is useless for me and maybe others too.

Removing it without any warning is very bad service. Especially if all the videos showing that feature like it was before. Lost hours of try and error to get it work.

Please bring the multinote presentation feature back! I like to have options to structure stuff/notes like I want it - not to have somebody else decide how i have to want it.

The idea to use a TOC to structure a presentation with multiple notes is clumsy to say the least.

Thanks! 

Anthony

Can no longer rename note attachments. Specifically SSEE scanned documents, but any. Option is grayed out :/

*Edit: going into the note text field and entering a carriage return ahead of the attachment allows temporary access to the rename function. It grays back out when changing the focus (have to edit the note to get the option back again).

post-210827-0-70735700-1415596297_thumb.

Now what? 

Hey, thanks for thinking of the customers who downloaded Evernote from the App Store!

Nothing says "we love you" like the 5.5.1 version released on April 8, 2014

Very true.

This is really deterring and doesn't promote Evernote well.. Every other company I know who have sales via a site and the app store do simultaneous releases.

Stop adding new stuff and spend MORE time fixing what you have!

Evernote needs to stop looking at itself as a startup company that is trying to do new things and realize that it needs to put on its adult mindset that instead of feature creep, they should be focusing on making the core software as rock solid as it can possibly be.  Personally just in the past 2-3 weeks I have filed around a half dozen bug reports regarding various issues with the iOS apps and the core Mac software. This is kinda of frustrating for a program that has been around for several years.

Earlier this year Phil said he agreed  that Evernote needed to work on its core software more.  Right now it feels that has not been happening.  In stead of making the process easier for TAKING NOTES, it is now getting weighed down with chat and context functions.  

All of these things may be great for a company that is 100% using Evernote, such as Evernote themselves, but for most of us we want to be able to collect our information and move on.  I don't want to have a chat conversation with someone regarding a note topic, just not going to happen.

This stuff should be rock solid after so many years but it is two steps forward and two steps back with each release.

Here are my two cents: The Presentation Mode is not working correctly. If I select more than one note at a time, like you should in order to create a presentation, Evernote opens only the first one and th

ere is no way to get to the others. I tried them all, arrows, space bar, etc. Also the Start Presentation button from the middle screen is gone, so you either have to use the cmd-enter or pull down menu. Still it doesn't work. Not to even mention that some annotation tools in presentation mode would be great. I've heard some talk about it but am not sure if this is reality yet. Maybe too much to ask. 

This function is working on the PC laptops. I guess they haven't "upgraded" yet. 

Just to let you know. Of course, I have a presentation to give tomorrow... just in time. Oh well... 

• Level 5

Renaming attachments is a bug.

I have a similar problem: For some attachments I can not open the menu that allows me to switch between showing the attachment (pdf, pages) as inline or attachment. The menu entry is just not there. Instead, the attachment is selected and I get the "Copy" menu.

Feedback.

I like the new 5.7.2 version on iMac. I have two suggestions:

1. Ensure the context feature does not include the same note as it is referring to .

2. On the "Move Note" option in iMac include an option to NOT have "recent notebooks". I have a simple Notebook structure and this changes graphically in the "move note" option each time I use it (of course, since I use different notebooks). The result is every time I use "move note" I have to look and think about where the target notebook is. This is a minor issue but a small ease of use option.

The new version removed certain functions around presenting multiple notes, that's true as you state and also intentional.

Our reasoning is that usually, all you want to do is present a single note and the current version gets rid of many buttons that would let you navigate to the next or previous note which are usually unrelated to what you’d like to present. By focusing on single note presentations, we were able to improve the user interface drastically and avoid clutter.

If you want to present multiple notes, you can use the ‘table of contents’ feature (multiselect wanted notes and press 'create table of content in mac multiselect view). We feel that this is the best and quickest way to prepare a collection of notes (or your entire notebook) which you can then easily present.
-ENTER to open a note
- CMD-[  or use the back button to go back to the TOC to choose another note to present
- CMD-] you can return from TOC to previously presented note
  • Level 5*

The new version removed certain functions around presenting multiple notes, that's true as you state and also intentional.

Our reasoning is that usually, all you want to do is present a single note and the current version gets rid of many buttons that would let you navigate to the next or previous note which are usually unrelated to what you’d like to present. By focusing on single note presentations, we were able to improve the user interface drastically and avoid clutter.

Kati, I can't imagine where you guys came up with that logic.  Out of 100M users, do you really think EVERYONE wants to build one long Note just for presentation purposes?  I don't think so.

Two Points:

• You guys are way overly obsessed about clutter to the point that you have removed most of the useful tools.
  • Here again, you guys have removed a feature without any notice.  This is a MAJOR failure.  You really need to advise us in advance, and you must put stuff like this in the release notes so we don't waste a LOT of time trying to figure out what's going on.

This is just one more reason to keep on using a professional presentation tool like PowerPoint.

Archived