Table of Contents Note

JRP1959

I recently saw a notebook that had been organized using a note titled "Table of Contents." Insde this note was a list of the notes in the notebook. Within this Table of Contents note there one could simply tap the title of the other notes in the notebook and you would be taken to that note. I found this to be a wonderful feature and would like to know if anyone else uses it and if so, how is it done?

Thank you.

• 2 months later...

I use table of contents all the time.

Something that would be really great though: if there was a shortcut back to the table of contents automatically inserted into the top of each connected note. That way if you searched for and found a note that was part of a larger table, you could then bounce back to that table for other relevant topics.

For now, I'm creating the TableOfContents, then copying that note's URL and pasting it back into each related note.  Provides for added functionality.

I also group tag everything when creating the table.

Something that would be really great though: if there was a shortcut back to the table of contents automatically inserted into the top of each connected note. That way if you searched for and found a note that was part of a larger table, you could then bounce back to that table for other relevant topics.

For now, I'm creating the TableOfContents, then copying that note's URL and pasting it back into each related note.  Provides for added functionality.

You could also copy your TOC note to The shortcuts list... But… did you know that on both desktop and mobile, after following any note link, you can hit the back arrow to navigate back to your TOC note?... Or wherever you were before you followed the link to the note you're currently in.

Especially since you've already tagged all notes linked to from your TOC with a unique tag, you're creating unnecessary work for yourself by pasting your TOC link into all other notes. You have already isolated all related notes into one context by tagging them. Once again, you can pop that tag context into your shortcuts list. Additionally, within that tag context, you can bubble your TOC note to the top of the list as a sort of master note.

You already have a system which makes back-linking to your TOC from individual notes linked to redundant.

• 1 year later...
On 1/13/2015 at 11:33 PM, AndyMcCabe said:

This really should be addressed. For instance, if you place a reminder in a note that is a part of a table of contents note, when the reminder email is sent and you view the note, unless you have some identifier in the note you won't know which Master Note (table of content note) to which it belongs. 

Archived