bugs and issues with sharing notes

nak123

Either I have completely misunderstood how Evernote is supposed to work or it is the biggest piece of overrated garbage ever. I share a note with another user, giving them permission to edit. However, changes are only visible on local devices (Windows 7 desktop / MacPro laptop OS X Version 10.9.5). I made a notebook public, but whenever I visit the public notebook url, I'm constantly prompted to 'Join Notebook' despite the fact that I am logged in and....duh...I created the notebook so I don't need to join anything! On top of that, Work Chat doesn't even work -- messages don't get received. It should be called 'Doesn't Work Chat'. Even emailed shared notes don't get received. So back to the question -- have I misunderstood Evernote or this is the biggest joke of an app that has ever been created?

• Level 5*

I normally just use shared notebooks; works fine for me. I don't use shared notes.

Currently doing a little testing between my two accounts:

* The public notebook thing seems to work, not sure what the problem you're seeing with 'Join Notebook' is, but it should be a problem for you; you don't need to access it via the public URL anyways since you're the owner, right?

* Work chat works in the web client beta, but not in the old web client. I set one up and it's working between the Windows desktop, an Android tablet and the web beta. Messages sent and received all around.

• Level 5*

Either I have completely misunderstood how Evernote is supposed to work or it is the biggest piece of overrated garbage ever. I share a note with another user, giving them permission to edit. However, changes are only visible on local devices (Windows 7 desktop / MacPro laptop OS X Version 10.9.5). I made a notebook public, but whenever I visit the public notebook url, I'm constantly prompted to 'Join Notebook' despite the fact that I am logged in and....duh...I created the notebook so I don't need to join anything! On top of that, Work Chat doesn't even work -- messages don't get received. It should be called 'Doesn't Work Chat'. Even emailed shared notes don't get received. So back to the question -- have I misunderstood Evernote or this is the biggest joke of an app that has ever been created?

If you really believe there is a bug, as your title suggests, then I suggest you Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

I think Evernote’s share function is very useful. 

I am wondering, though, whether my problems with it have solutions I just have not found yet ...

1. In the old version of Evernote on Mac I could tell instantly whether a note was shared by looking for a little blue arrow in the top right-hand corner of the Evernote window. It’s gone now, in the most recent version of Evernote, and been replaced with a button that is always blue and has a pull-down menu. The only way to tell, visually, if the note is shared is to look in the menu and see if the “Stop sharing public link” option is not grey or black. This is a backwards step, from an accessibility and usability point of view. 

2. There appears to be no way in Evernote searches to search for all the notes that have been shared. I usually tag shared notes with “shared” and/or put them in a folder specifically for shared notes. However, it would be very handy to be able to leave notes where they are and be able to find all shared notes, either in individual folders or in all notes, by a search function — in the same way that it is possible to search for images or to-dos, etc. Have I missed that there is a way to do this already?

Cheers

The answer to my 2nd question was in another thread.

Type sharedate:* into the search field to find all of your shared notes

Not exactly intuitive. 

Thanks for that!

Nope... not intuitive... but nice to know now :-)

Going to set it up as a saved search, as simple as it is... so I don't have to search elsewhere again.

* The public notebook thing seems to work, not sure what the problem you're seeing with 'Join Notebook' is, but it should be a problem for you; you don't need to access it via the public URL anyways since you're the owner, right?

My thoughts exactly... why would the owner need to access his own publicly shared notebooks (if not for curiosity's sake)? Only reason I can think of is if one has switched to the Web beta and doesn't like that interface for navigating. There was a brief period where one was not able to access/ join public notebooks via the Web beta... but they have at least temporarily rerouted to the old interface (which will most likely get reintegrated into the new UI once they've squashed some bugs). 

I'm constantly prompted to 'Join Notebook' despite the fact that I am logged in and....duh...I created the notebook so I don't need to join anything! 

If you didn't constantly click on the public notebook link, you would not constantly be prompted to "Join Notebook". And you do have it in your account already. You said it yourself - you don't need to join anything - so don't go along to the space that was designed for you to join it... because, let's say you want to edit something there... it's view only.

It's like getting frustrated with someone for asking how you're doing when they already know the answer... when it's just the way things are done... so just brace yourself for the courtesy popup window asking you if you want to join a notebook you already have in your account... because  it probably doesn't understand either why you would want to go there. If you're testing out to see how it appears to others when they attempt to view/ join it, then I would imagine that's quite handy too to have it ask you to join. 

• 1 year later...

Archived