Gmail append to existing note

MartinBooker

Idea

Love the gmail clipper integration but would love to see the following implemented:

So I receive a work request from a client which I clip into evernote using the gmail clipper, then receive further emails as part of the same conversation thread that I then want to also clip to append as notes to my TODO as part of the same evernote. I can't find a way of doing this other than letting it create a new note and then merging them. If I do merge them though I get duplicate email history from both clips which is not ideal.

Would love to see this done similar to this:

Match with an existing note based on the email subject and then replace everything between two markers in the note with the entire email thread or append just the new bits.

eg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Re work request

blah blah blah, my notes on the email are all here, lahdeda etc etc - Text / graphics / checklists etc

//**

everything between these markers is replaced by either the complete email thread if that's what I've selected in the 

clipper or, appended to the bottom (but still within the markers) if I've only selected new replies

**//

outside of the markers I can write other notes as well, here at the bottom for example

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like that the gmail clipper adds a link back to the original email so I could just have the initial request clipped and follow the link back when I want to pick up the entire thread. *but* I like to use the labs split view in gmail which doesn't properly expose a perma link back so this does not work for me

1 reply to this idea

I would really like to see the Web Clipper have the option to append to an existing note too for many reasons including this one.  One sort of work around is the the ability to forward a message to an existing note via email.  If the subject line of the email you forward to Evernote exactly  matches the title of a existing note and you add a SPACE and the + character to the end of the subject line, the email message will be appended to the note in Evernote.  According to what I've read, if you have to notes with the same name, the append will happen to the most recent note.  I just found this out from another forum thread when looking to see if there any other Web Clipper options - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/34032-new-email-feature-append-to-existing-notes/

This email append might work for the same email thread, which seems the use case for @MartinBooker, but it's not great for cases where the subject lines of the sources messages are different since you'd probably have to go lookup the exact note title a copy it to make sure you got it right.  By then, you could probably just copy/paste the email although formatting does sometimes seem to get wonky when doing that.  

I'd rather see the (Chrome) Evernote Web Clipper let me pick an existing note from a drop down generated by a search box, or even, better seeded with a list of notes that Evernote suggests based on content like it does related notes are suggested.

Archived