How do I insert a row or column in a table on Android?

• 1 year later...

This is quite critical. If this feature is not available, I believe it is not a good "cross platform" note taking app. Plus, you guys are trying to go into business users. This feature is critical to use the app to work every day like I do for my consultant jobs. I believe it will will be a great news if you enhance the feature.

• Like 4
  • 10 months later...

There is a workaround. Create a template note with the different tables on a desktop. Leave a space in each column so you can select them. Then copy paste the table you need whenever you only have an android device on you. Make sure also to copy the space above and below the table you want to use. 

Here's a template example you can use: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s239/sh/7bb4945c-34dd-492d-a7b8-2ee4deed8314/90ddec1421a0abe01429dbcb4db78fc5

This workaround works for now, but obviously you shouldn't need one. Evernote, please fix this

Edited by Reinebo
Link didn't work
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 1 year later...

I only use the android app, this month I was testing the evernote to indicate to all associated developers. However unless there is a fix for the evernote table resource I will not be able to indicate Evernote, since it is essential. there is some possibility of this implementation?, otherwise we will have to look for another company. From what I have seen is something recurring, and neglect of needs is an important point to be evaluated.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
On 9/30/2017 at 9:36 AM, Ricardo Nazar Rodrigues said:

I only use the android app, this month I was testing the evernote to indicate to all associated developers. However unless there is a fix for the evernote table resource I will not be able to indicate Evernote, since it is essential. there is some possibility of this implementation?, otherwise we will have to look for another company. From what I have seen is something recurring, and neglect of needs is an important point to be evaluated.

An obvious workaround is to edit your tables in one of the desktop Evernote clients (Windows or Mac); that will sync to your Android device. If it's critical for you to be able to do this on Android, well, it's not supported yet. Since Evernote typically doesn't give out release dates for upcoming features, nor indeed, which features are actually planned for implementation, it's up to you to determine how critical that feature really is for you vs. what features Evernote has that are useful to you.

• Haha 1
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/4/2017 at 10:10 AM, jefito said:

An obvious workaround is to edit your tables in one of the desktop Evernote clients (Windows or Mac); that will sync to your Android device. If it's critical for you to be able to do this on Android, well, it's not supported yet. Since Evernote typically doesn't give out release dates for upcoming features, nor indeed, which features are actually planned for implementation, it's up to you to determine how critical that feature really is for you vs. what features Evernote has that are useful to you.

I am a recent Evernote user trying to switch over from OneNote. There are user interface problems in one note that I get to avoid while using Evernote. I like Evernote better so far. I work in IT and use my android phone for reference and data entry while in the field. I recently needed to add entries in a table as I would have expected to do and could do in OneNote. To my disappointment, I could not add columns or rows from the Android mobile client. With this realization in mind, Evernote drops down a few pegs in my opinion. I realize that this is just simply "not supported yet" but I do not think it is reasonable to expect users who use tables to carry around extra devices or tedious software steps to make this work as it does on other platforms. The modern worlds expectation of cross-platform applications is that they work the same cross-platform. The workarounds suggested are only something I would do if I had no other options as a last resort, but there are other products out there.

I hope developers add this useful feature sooner than later but this feature has been lower on the priority list so far.

For me, this feature isn't "critical" but I would say the usefulness of Evernote for my workflow is severely limited without it as I find that many times new information comes to me when I'm least expecting it and having a completely mobile option is a large selling point for me.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Ryan Hartmann said:

For me, this feature isn't "critical" but I would say the usefulness of Evernote for my workflow is severely limited without it as I find that many times new information comes to me when I'm least expecting it and having a completely mobile option is a large selling point for me.

Don't get me wrong; this would be a welcome addition to the Android (and iOS?) application. But failing that, I guess what I'd do in that case would be to capture the stuff I needed, and then massage it once I got back to my desktop to format it nicely. Not ideal, I know, but it's what we have at present.

• 3 weeks later...

I needed this functionality just now and I must confess I keep losing confidence in Evernote. I am so invested in this platform, but I'm looking at changing that.

This function isn't some crazy-ass thing that is merely inconvenient, where if one really wanted to edit they could just go to their laptops and do the 'real work' in the desktop version. It is that kind of thinking that turns people off Evernote. I wrote a lengthy post a while back when I discovered that Evernote wasn't exactly the best thing to depend on when travelling.

Today's example is something that I should be able to do on all platforms.

It is a note called Freezer-downstairs. Inventory. Table.  Shared note. Easy concept.  I have an Android tablet stuck to the freezer. 

The note has stuff like:

• 3  1lb pkgs of lean ground beef 
  • 16 single-servings butternut squash-apple soup
  • 12 single-servings fresh cooked corn from Levie Farms summer 2018

It is in table format so that we can easily edit the number according to what we are removing or adding to the freezer.

Ah, but now we are downstairs adding 5 bags of frozen zucchini and we don't have an entry for that.  Well, imagine my surprise when we can't add a row under Vegetables. And what if we were adding 5 different items to the freezer?  Are we supposed to remember to add all 5 when we go back upstairs and open Evernote on our desktop just to do that? Yeah, not likely.

What is going to happen instead is that the Evernote list is going to go straight to the recycle bin and we are going to find an alternative.  And while we are it, why not use this alternative for everything else we do in Evernote... I mean plenty of these alternatives don't cost $80/year (or more for multiple accounts) and some don't change what you can do depending on the platform... and then next thing you know you are seriously investigating getting out of Evernote because at the end of the day you realize that all your content is held hostage in a way because you can only export to html and you might want pdfs or text files and oh shoot, what did I do investing all my stuff in this....

That is the problem with Evernote not being consistent across platforms.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

I've got the same problem. Tables are just plain useful, and I've got lots of notes that use them to hold lists of information. When I'm in my kitchen updating my grocery list, or at the doctor's office browsing the web while I want for an appointment and see something I want to tack onto the end of a list, I'm not at my desk: I'm on my phone or my tablet. So I want to add a row to a table right there, right now.

I was very excited when table became useful in EN, and IIRC, around the same time, there was talk of "one common editor" for all platforms. That would certainly help here. /sigh

• Level 5

I agree (although for a simple list I'd be more likely to use some format other than a table; but maybe these lists are not so simple). I'd recommend to anyone reading this thread (including those like @lisec who have contributed to it) to go to the active feature-request thread on creating and editing tables in Android, and click the up arrow at the top to vote for it:

• Like 1