Japanese Kanji Missing

darthmai

Idea

I stated using my evernote to learn Japanese.  

However, many kanji will be missing in notes while still appearing in the note titles (and also appearing in other apps such as mail app, apple note, word doc, etc).  

Anyone know why it could be happening?  (My japanese is not good enough for me to ask in the Evernote Japanese forum yet.)

post-232034-0-11487600-1414888209_thumb.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi. I don't understand your question. Could you restate it? For example, do you type the kanji into a note on your computer, open it on your phone, and see the kanji missing? What relationship is there between the note title and the note contemt?

Hello!  Sorry I forgot to attach my screenshot.  I added it to the original question now.  pls see the image above.

When I type (or copy & paste) the exactly same sentence into both title and note content, some kanji would be missing.  From the example above, it would be 楽 & 聴.   

Yes!  Thank you so much.

My OSX is 10.10, recently installed.

Evernote version 5.7.0 (451010 Direct).

Steps

1)  I went on to this page: http://ejje.weblio.jp/sentence/content/listen+to+music

2)  I copied 1 of those Japanese sentences with kanji.  (any on this bulletin list will do) 

3)  I created a new note in Evernote.  

4)  I pasted the sentence I copied into title and the note content.

5)  I found some kanji missing in the note content but not title.

Another probably silly question: does Evernote have encoding options like browsers?  I'm now using Chrome typing my reply.  I found that when I pasted the same sentence into Chrome's address bar, the same kanji went missing as well.  When I opened up Firefox to do the same, no kanji is missing.  

• Level 5*

Yes!  Thank you so much.

My OSX is 10.10, recently installed.

Evernote version 5.7.0 (451010 Direct).

Steps

1)  I went on to this page: http://ejje.weblio.jp/sentence/content/listen+to+music

2)  I copied 1 of those Japanese sentences with kanji.  (any on this bulletin list will do) 

3)  I created a new note in Evernote.  

4)  I pasted the sentence I copied into title and the note content.

5)  I found some kanji missing in the note content but not title.

Another probably silly question: does Evernote have encoding options like browsers?  I'm now using Chrome typing my reply.  I found that when I pasted the same sentence into Chrome's address bar, the same kanji went missing as well.  When I opened up Firefox to do the same, no kanji is missing.  

Hmmm... It looks like we are running exactly the same stuff, but I am having no problem with the kanji, and I cannot reproduce the bug. It might be best to get in touch with support. Send them a link to this post for details. 

There aren't any encoding options in Evernote. There are a few things to watch out for with Japanese. However, most people probably don't encounter any issues. 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29148-tip-bug-report-utf-16-and-utf-8-encoding-for-text-files/

Archived