Mac Desktop Search vs Web Search Difference

codersteve

Idea

Hi,

I have the latest version on my Mac. What I've discovered is that when I do a particular search, I get no results when I should get a hit in a PDF.

But--when I use the web version of Evernote with the same search, I get the hit as expected.

This tells me that the file is probably indexed fine, but there is something wrong with the desktop search program.

I there a fix for this?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

This is most likely a bug.  There are a number of known (to Evernote) issues where Evernote Search returns different results on different clients.

Please post the exact search expression that you are using, so we can further document this bug.

You may also want to Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

@gazumped -- you're right, I downloaded the update and it sort of fixed it. The results are better, but I wouldn't say good. I do get the hit I was looking for, but it's labeled lower in relevance than less actually relevant results. For the search word "tow" (quotes included in search), I got a hit that had the word toward first in the results, yet the note I was looking for (the pdf) that actually had the word tow in it was a lot lower in the results.

I don't get it.

Still, the web version gives me better results.

UPDATE: The web version sorts the results by date, not relevance, that's why it's different. I think I'll do that in the desktop version too.

Archived