Evernote for Mac 5.7 released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

Today we've released Evernote for Mac v5.7.  Here are the official release notes.

Premium feature: Context

• Context displays notes, articles, and people related to what you’re working on
  • View related articles from The Wall Street Journal and other sources and related people from LinkedIn and your business

Presentation Mode has been improved with a fresh look and new features

• Use the layout panel to navigate your presentation and add dividers
  • Images are now presented from screen-edge to screen-edge
  • Beautifully styled tables make your information stand out

Other improvements:

• Send messages to share notes and discuss things you’re working on without leaving Evernote
  • Bug and stability fixes

This is a big release for us and if you've been wondering why we haven't fixed some issues it's because we've been working on 5.7.   In the bucket of how amazing technology is...Jackoliscious pushed out the release from an airplane at 30,000 feet.  Pretty crazy stuff.

You can get the build here:  http://bit.ly/1udeY7G

We plan on submitting a release to the Mac App Store soon to get everyone caught up.  It's coming but I can't give specific dates.  

Please reply to this post with any specific 5.7 issues.  I'll be monitoring this thread pretty closely over the weekend.   Thanks in advance for all of your feedback.

I don't think App Store users will get 5.6. It sounds like they'll jump straight to 5.7, based on the original post:

We plan on submitting a release to the Mac App Store soon to get all of our customers using that version upgraded too so it's coming but I can't give specific dates.  

just downloaded 5.7, but keeps crashing right after opening, while syncing. (yosemite).

Anyone experiencing the same?

Oh no.  What version were you using before 5.5.x or 5.6.x?  I'm trying to understand if something occurred during migration or not.

Did this version remove the ability to share notes via email? The option has disappeared from the share menu.

As gbarry says the feature is still in the Note menu but please also consider using the new Work Chat feature.  Just click the Share button on the note. A work chat window will appear and you'll be able to send them the note as an attachment.   Since everything is within Evernote they will be able to see any updates you've made even after you've sent the work chat.  You can also give them the ability to edit the note so you can collaborate.

Glad to see this. However, in the keynote, the design of the app was updated in Yosemite style... When will we have this new design?

As you can tell from the Evernote Conference Keynote we've got stuff in the works.  Stay tuned.  Not too much longer.

just downloaded 5.7, but keeps crashing right after opening, while syncing. (yosemite).

Thanks for reporting this problem and I'm sorry you're running into this issue.  I contacted support and some customers are finding success in reinstalling the app.  I've also asked our development team to look at some of the crashes being reported in our crash reporting system.  When you crash and start Evernote again we display a dialog and it asks for your name, email address and details what you were doing before the app crashed.  A few of you wrote about crashing after installing the app which allowed me to find this specific issue.  Thanks for writing those notes.  This information is really really helpful so please always send the crash logs to us.

It looks like we have an issue with some email addresses in the contacts app.  We link to the contacts app for the Email Note and Work Chat features.  It's a key part of both these 2 features.  For now, go to System Preferences/Security and Privacy/Contacts and uncheck Evernote.  This will disable the link to your contacts.  Then try to relaunch Evernote.  If your particular issue is related to the email address then this should solve your problem.  Our next update will have a fix for this so you can turn Contacts back on so you can use both Email Notes and Work Chat.  

It looks like we have an issue with some email addresses in the contacts app.  We link to the contacts app for the Email Note and Work Chat features.  It's a key part of both these 2 features.  For now, go to System Preferences/Security and Privacy/Contacts and uncheck Evernote.  This will disable the link to your contacts.  Then try to relaunch Evernote.  If your particular issue is related to the email address then this should solve your problem.  Our next update will have a fix for this so you can turn Contacts back on so you can use both Email Notes and Work Chat.  

Just to report that this indeed did the trick for me. I had the same problem. While switching between accounts (my personal account and a demo account) I noticed the crash. unchecking contacts in the sysprefs gets it all to work again.

First of all, thanks for this release. I really looked forward to it and I'm glad it's here finally.

Workchat does what it's supposed to do at a first test. You will get updates in the chat when you sync the client, so it's not pushed from client to client. But other than that, great first version of Work Chat!

Presentation mode; love it! I tested it with just a few notes, but the suggestions for dividers are great and spot on. I look forward to using this "in the wild". Is it correct you no longer can present multiple notes at once? Or all notes from a notebook?

Context: Since I am from the Netherlands, the current sources are not of use for some of my specific situations. Testing this with some default text in a note on some big companies, I got some good results. Is it correct the citation-feature we saw at EC4 is still missing?

So a promising update on Evernote and a glimpse of what is ahead in creating a new workplace. Kudos to the team. 

Frank

First of all, thanks for this release. I really looked forward to it and I'm glad it's here finally.

Workchat does what it's supposed to do at a first test. You will get updates in the chat when you sync the client, so it's not pushed from client to client. But other than that, great first version of Work Chat!

Presentation mode; love it! I tested it with just a few notes, but the suggestions for dividers are great and spot on. I look forward to using this "in the wild". Is it correct you no longer can present multiple notes at once? Or all notes from a notebook?

Context: Since I am from the Netherlands, the current sources are not of use for some of my specific situations. Testing this with some default text in a note on some big companies, I got some good results. Is it correct the citation-feature we saw at EC4 is still missing?

So a promising update on Evernote and a glimpse of what is ahead in creating a new workplace. Kudos to the team. 

Frank

I can't seem to find a way to present all notes in a notebook, but the table of contents type notes, or links to notes embedded works like a champ.  

I LOVE the new presentation mode.  I used the old one often, but it was flakey.  This seems so much better.   Quick tip, if you have an image that seems a bit large, the sizing of the image in the note seems to carry over great.  

I also love you can navigate forwards and backwards with arrow keys, and you can start the presentation from any spot.  

Nice work!   

• Level 5*

Changes to Presentation are nice.

The Context thing might be useful to some people, not to me.

Work Chat, I certainly don't need another IM client,  especially one that doesn't interact with anything else.

Does this release change anything about the appearance of the Tag View screen, including, without limitation, the green font on the gray background?

Does this release change the following when viewing a note while in Side List View: the horizontal space provided to display the tags is (often) too small to show all of the tags?

EN 5.3

OS 10.8

Frank, thanks for the quick review and the high praise for Presentation mode.  You can still present multiple notes but it works a little differently now that we have the note divider feature.  First off, the way we expect most people to present is to take a single note and to split it up using the dividers.  This way all the information you want to communicate is in a single note.  However, there are also times you may want to present multiple notes.  This is really useful if the information you want to communicate is naturally spread out over multiple notes.  We don't want you to have to copy and paste information from one note to another just to present it.  Then you're sort of back to the PowerPoint days.  In this case select the notes you want to present and create a Table of Contents Note and then present this note.  You will automatically get an Agenda slide and links to each note.  

The presentation feature is developed in our Zurich office and I think they've done a really incredible job.  I used to work on PowerPoint at Microsoft so I know a thing or 2 about presentations and I'm amazed by what they've accomplished.  

Thank you for the wonderful updates you are releasing for Evernote. 

Issue 1:

The recent updates to presentation modes are not working well with the attachments (Pics, jpgs, pdf) like they used to work before. They Images seems to be stretched throughout the screen in 5.7 release. 

Previously, it was aligned well within the slide (presentation mode). If I wanted to zoom, I could click on the attachment / image and then was able to zoom in thereby focusing only on the image and then hit esc to get to the normal view. This feature was the major deal breaker for Evernote in Presentation mode. This has gone missing. Could you please bring this back?

Issue 2:

In the presentation mode, when I insert the presentation dividers and then go back to the notes, the regular dividers are deleted by default. Not sure why this was taken out.

Does this release change anything about the appearance of the Tag View screen, including, without limitation, the green font on the gray background?

Does this release change the following when viewing a note while in Side List View: the horizontal space provided to display the tags is (often) too small to show all of the tags?

EN 5.3

OS 10.8

We didn't do much in terms of the look and feel in 5.7 but I don't see green text on a gray background so maybe this was changed in 5.5.  It is a dark gray on gray background and for my old eye it's a little hard to read.  I'm not sure if that's what you're getting at but that's what I see.  In terms of the side list view, you can expand the column but if you're a heavy tag user the width of the center pane still limits the width of the tag column.  

Thank you for the wonderful updates you are releasing for Evernote. 

Issue 1:

The recent updates to presentation modes are not working well with the attachments (Pics, jpgs, pdf) like they used to work before. They Images seems to be stretched throughout the screen in 5.7 release. 

Previously, it was aligned well within the slide (presentation mode). If I wanted to zoom, I could click on the attachment / image and then was able to zoom in thereby focusing only on the image and then hit esc to get to the normal view. This feature was the major deal breaker for Evernote in Presentation mode. This has gone missing. Could you please bring this back?

Issue 2:

In the presentation mode, when I insert the presentation dividers and then go back to the notes, the regular dividers are deleted by default. Not sure why this was taken out.

Great feedback.  Let me send it to our Presentation Mode team.  

• Level 5*

We didn't do much in terms of the look and feel in 5.7 but I don't see green text on a gray background so maybe this was changed in 5.5.  It is a dark gray on gray background and for my old eye it's a little hard to read.   

Marcus, thank you very much for recognizing and acknowledging the issue of readability due to low contrast text.

Please be our champion within Evernote to help get this changed.  

Surely it is a relatively small thing to change the color of the text and the background so that we have HIGH contrast text.

The other key to readability on a computer screen is using a sans serif font, like Verdana.  I have found that Verdana is the best for online reading, and is available on just about all computers, PC, Mac, and mobile.  If you must use a more compact font, then Arial is a good second choice.

Thanks.

Whoa - Context. So my first brush with it just now, I was writing up call notes for a client and saw that Context had suggested something from Inc Magazine, so I clicked through. It was EERILY spot-on (not just the niche, but the particular approach I was trying to teach & convince her of) and this article was a perfect example of it being done right & well. So I linked it in my note, like I had combed the internet and had found just the right thing.. 

Hope my secret's safe with you guys...   :D

The share button above the note text has blue text, just like the reminder icon. It makes me think that I've accidentally shared or made public notes. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think it's a bit confusing and the text ought to be dark until a note is shared.

Hi,

I update from 5.5 to 5.7 in one step, and everything was fine, no problems so far (although I have only been 1 hour using the new version).

Something I've noticed (and not mentioned in the realese notes), is that when you print a note, the format is different from before. There is so much wasted space around the entire sheet

Is there anyway to change this?

The share button above the note text has blue text, just like the reminder icon. It makes me think that I've accidentally shared or made public notes. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think it's a bit confusing and the text ought to be dark until a note is shared.

Thank you for this feedback.  Yah, I fully understand why one might think that.  We'll give it some thought.

Hi,

I update from 5.5 to 5.7 in one step, and everything was fine, no problems so far (although I have only been 1 hour using the new version).

Something I've noticed (and not mentioned in the realese notes), is that when you print a note, the format is different from before. There is so much wasted space around the entire sheet

Is there anyway to change this?

I'm glad you're upgrade went well.  I'll have the team take a look at the printing difference.

Thanks for releasing a new version. However this version has some serious issues that I think are Applescript related on Yosemite.

After updating my Workflows that I created stopped working. I have a folder on my Desktop that will insert files in Evernote that I put there. This workflow stopped working.

The Evernote workflow for Stolz stopped working, he issues a fix that fixed things.

Scansnap Manager is no longer able to import directly into Evernote.

In the last beta's there have been reports on this. Sorry to see them in the released version.

Please look into these issues and fix them becausing this is breaking my workflow.

[update] These issues only seem to appear after using the switch account functionality. 

Thanks for releasing a new version. However this version has some serious issues that I think are Applescript related on Yosemite.

[update] These issues only seem to appear after using the switch account functionality. 

I hate seeing an update break things.  Thanks for reporting this and for narrowing down the issue.  It's easier to fix with narrow repro steps and it allows other Evernote users to work around the issues.

• Level 5*

Is there a way to save a chat to Evernote? Seems like a fairly obvious thing, but I can't figure it out. Tagging could also be useful.

Can you explain the idea more?  Are you asking to convert the entire chat thread and make it a note?

Yup, how do you envision people managing dozens or hundreds of chats? How do I go back and find a chat from 12 months ago? How do I sort and file chats?

If work chat is going to be more useful than IM then I think it has to bring organisational features.

At the moment I can get messages from a number of different services using Apple Messages. I can share files and everything is across all my devices.

What advantages does work chat have?

i'm unable to upgrade to version 5.7 for the mac from version 5.6.2 (on lion 10.7.5). when i choose to check for updates from within the app and then ask to upgrade, the upgrade downloads, quits the current app and moves it to the trash, and then leaves a version in my applications folder which will not launch.

Marcus - so far v5.7 Mac is working OK for me.

But I have a couple of what I would call serious issues:

1. Why move the "Email Note" function into a menu item, 2 steps hidden? What was wrong with where it was in the Share button? Same old story - why change something that worked? Many, if not most, of the notes that I email are to people who are NOT using Evernote. So Chat simply is no good. It also brings up the vexed question, yet again, of why Evernote is almost the only app running under Mac OS X that does NOT have a configurable toolbar. It used to be configurable, but this was removed several versions ago - again removing something that worked. We all use Evernote differently, and I, for one, would rearrange the buttons on the toolbar, as well as adding buttons to Email Note, Print, etc. Please consider bringing back a configurable toolbar - it is virtually a Mac OS X standard anyway.

2. This new Context malarkey - completely and utterly useless for me. I'm not in the USA, and even if I were, I would have absolutely no use for that.  Also, there seems to be no way to change the source Web sites from the ones you have chosen (most of which are obscure apart from the WSJ). And there is NO way that I want my Evernote to go anywhere NEAR LinkedIn - which I have a complete ban on. It is the most intrusive site, and I have a complete spamblock on all those intensely annoying "Invitations from LinkedIn" that I seem to get all the time.

So my question is - if I disable Context in the Settings, is it COMPLETELY and properly disabled? As in - NOTHING gets sent to the WSJ, nothing is analysed to see if I might want some context anyway, but all I've done is hidden it?

This is a really serious question - I and many, many others do NOT use Evernote for business stuff, or at least exclusively for that. And I'd suggest that the whole Context idea is somewhat freaky and spooky. I know your servers do the heavy lifting for OCR etc, but I do NOT want them to be analysing my notes (including clinical information and patient references). Please reassure me that by turning off the Context feature (which is ON by default - another bad move) truly disables - totally - all analysis of MY notes....

My own humble opinion, previously stated on these forums many times, is that you should be concentrating on improving the main, basic functions of Evernote (such as bringing back a configurable toolbar) rather than dreaming up crazy NEW things that may be of use to SOME people but may be a real worry to others. 

Please move the 'Email note' button back under the 'Share' button above the notes and don't hide it in the 'More Sharing' drop down menu.   This is essential functionality for many people and moving it to promote a new feature is not a good idea.

I've just installed 5.7 and can no longer rename pdf attachments in notes. Any ideas?

I just tried it and it still works for me..  If you just right click on the pdf, the 'Rename Attachment' option is greyed out.  You have to left-click and select the pdf, then right-click and it the 'Rename Attachment' option will be available.

upgrade is going fairly smoothly (crashed a few times when I attempted to try a few of the new features while syncing- i'll wait until it's completely done syncing...)

select the notes you want to present and create a Table of Contents Note and then present this note.  You will automatically get an Agenda slide and links to each note.

hmm - maybe we can get some middle ground here...  while i liked the use case of selecting notes and then "present these notes" - i wanted more control of the order they were presented in.   your idea to create an "agenda slide" is definitely a step forward.   i just tried it and i have to keep going back to the agenda to "advance" to the next slide.   how about a step up and just feeding the agenda slide and presenting each note in the order it's in the TOC slide?

this would be awesome - i would have a set of "presentation" notes and i could assemble slides/notes however I want depending on my audience!

this would really reduce the clutter I've had in the past in regards to having to update the same content across multiple decks in the past...

Yup, how do you envision people managing dozens or hundreds of chats? How do I go back and find a chat from 12 months ago? How do I sort and file chats?

If work chat is going to be more useful than IM then I think it has to bring organisational features.

At the moment I can get messages from a number of different services using Apple Messages. I can share files and everything is across all my devices.

ok - first, I haven't given Work Chat a full whirl yet but I do want to add my 2 cents...

absolutely give us ways to organize our chats. right now I'm looking to upgrade the experience I have using the Web Clipper and email to Evernote to capture key gmail threads and content. this is has been a stop gap and Work Chat gives me hope there's a better way to go about having conversations around my notes.

I hope to be able to open a note and see an index of all related conversations (hate to abuse the word - conversations in context - da-dum  ;)

I should be able to find a chat by note, notebook, participant, tag, keyword, date - all the good stuff.

since we are in a "work" context - conversations should often complete with a set of "action items" (todos for all participants if you will) with some sense of accountability.

again, these are thoughts from the top of my head while i wait for Evernote to finish syncing (I don't think a migration was triggered from a 5.5.2 database so i think it's downloading everything again... [i can see new GUID folders next to p12345 folders in the content directory])

What is the roadmap for Evernote? I'm just wondering because I don't understand why some features are implemented and others are ignored.

I know the world does not revolve around my usage patterns, but I really can't understand why sharing a note by email is no longer under the share menu. I use(d) that all the time.

Do people really want to spend all their time in evernote that it was worth the resources to implement a chat client? Will you implement a web browser next? 

I'm not saying chat is worthless, I'm just trying to figure out how EN prioritizes features.

Please - just put via email back in the sharing menu. Please consider implementing Markdown. Please consider saved sort order in searches.

Thanks for listening!

Thanks for reporting this problem and I'm sorry you're running into this issue.  I contacted support and some customers are finding success in reinstalling the app.  I've also asked our development team to look at some of the crashes being reported in our crash reporting system.  When you crash and start Evernote again we display a dialog and it asks for your name, email address and details what you were doing before the app crashed.  A few of you wrote about crashing after installing the app which allowed me to find this specific issue.  Thanks for writing those notes.  This information is really really helpful so please always send the crash logs to us.

I'm running MacOS Lion.  I can't find where to turn off access to contacts.  Does anyone know?  

to turn off access to contacts, go to your system preferences, then security & privacy, then privacy, then click contacts on the left hand side. On the right you'll see a list of apps that have access to your contacts. You may have to click the lock at the bottom right in order to make changes. Once you do that, you should be able to uncheck evernote from the list of apps.

I'm on a macbook air and have upgraded through the Yosemite betas and now on the full release, and updated to EN betas all along, but have never had a problem with syncing.

Please put email sharing back on the toolbar. Chat is nice, but don't force it on users.

Email function on the toolbar would be great - that's where I would put it - IF WE HAD A CONFIGURABLE TOOLBAR...! (Sorry - couldn't resist it ;) )  As I mentioned in my previous post on the page before this one, I'd also put the Print button on there.

The same thing happened to me. I just installed 5.7.0 and it crashed almost immediately upon relaunch. Each time I relaunch, it crashes. Have sent 3 crash reports. Using Mac OS 10.9.5.

Indeed, with PDFs, the "Rename Attchment" option is greyed out. Odd. 

I did some further playing and if you go to the top of the PDF and pull it with your curser (try to pull it off the page) and let it snap back this will sometimes allow you to then rename the PDF.

5.7.0 crashes on start up everytime. I have unchecked the mail link in preferences and have tried reinstalling the upgrade.

Have tried using time machine to go back to previous version but I get a message that the local evernote data is being managed by a new version of evernote.

Running OSX 10.9.5

Any other suggestions to get back up and running

Am running into a couple of issues with 5.7, still running in Mavericks.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Issue #1: Can't change second selection of text to the same color as the first selection

Works the first time, for the first batch of selected text, but if then select text elsewhere on the page, using the same alternate color, no go.

Ex: 

The word red turns red after I (a) highlight it, then (B) select red from the color palette. 

The next time I try to turn some text red in the same note, however, I have to (a) select a completely different (unwanted) color, then (B) go back and re-select red. Otherwise, it remains default black.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Issue #2: Table border color doesn't "stick"

Love-love-love the new table properties---especially the ability to backfill color in specific cells -and- resize columns. Hooray!

I am, however, running into problems setting the grid/line color. The default pale gray isn't always easy to see (color me a member of the Aging Eyes Club), but changing it to black only works about half the time.

The other half of the time, it stays with the pale default color.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks for all you do!!!

• Level 5*

Issue #1: Can't change second selection of text to the same color as the first selection

Issue #2: Table border color doesn't "stick"

Hmmm, seems like I remember these color issues were reported early in the EN Mac 5.6 Beta process.

By the way, does anybody know what happened to the "Open note in a separate window" functionality?

I use that all the time, especially when I'm listening in to a webinar. It's been great to have the webinar on one side of my screen and the note on the other. I don't see it on the drop down menu anymore. Is it a hidden function or was it taken away entirely?

There is one really annoying bug in Evernote for the mac: 

• Select a nodebook (Foo)
  • Create a new note (the default notebook for this note is Foo)
  • Move the notebook in the note to another notebook (e.g. Bar)
  • ==> The note is gone

I find this extremely distrubing, because I have Evernote open all the time and I don't think about the notebook first when I create a new note. Usually some notebook is selected (from my last search) and when I want to create a new note, I always forget to first think about the notebook (and usually the notebook the new note belongs to is not in the list of the most recent notebooks) . I just click on "New Note". I don't care about the notebook, because I don't want to forget my thought.

I usually start writing the note (because that is what is in my mind) and later decide which notebook the note belongs to. I usually choose the notebook while I finalize the  note and *boom* it is gone when I change the notebook.

What I would expect, that either the note stays or that the selected notebook changes to "All Notes" or to the newly selected notebook. What I don't want is that the note disappears.

I can understand that when I organize my notes that in that I may want that the note disappears form the current notebook. But for new notes I find this behaviour very annoying....

By the way, does anybody know what happened to the "Open note in a separate window" functionality?

I use that all the time, especially when I'm listening in to a webinar. It's been great to have the webinar on one side of my screen and the note on the other. I don't see it on the drop down menu anymore. Is it a hidden function or was it taken away entirely?

when i double-click on a note - it opens in a new window.   

when I right-click it says "Open Note in Separate Window"

• Level 5*

Looks like this is a bug.  Here's a work-around:

This may be a bug in the Mac desktop client. Can you please create a support ticket and message back your ticket number?

A workaround that is working on my Mac desktop client is to open the attachment in preview and then go back to the note to rename the attachment 

It does appear to be a bug.  Another work around is to highlight PDF with the mouse and then right click and then the 'Rename' is no longer greyed out

Looks like it's only available via the Note List now. In the last version, it was also available in the Note menu. I remember getting annoyed with the placement of the feature in versions before it was added to the Note menu because there would be many times when the note I wanted to open in a new window was the one being displayed on the right at times when that note was not currently in view in the Note List on the left (either because it was scrolled away or because I got to the note via clicking on a note link).

I was really happy when it was added to the Note menu, and now it looks like I'm going to be unhappy again - unless there has been some change in behavior that will cause the note on the right to be visible in the Note List more often for me.

Looks like it's only available via the Note List now. In the last version, it was also available in the Note menu. I remember getting annoyed with the placement of the feature in versions before it was added to the Note menu because there would be many times when the note I wanted to open in a new window was the one being displayed on the right at times when that note was not currently in view in the Note List on the left (either because it was scrolled away or because I got to the note via clicking on a note link).

I was really happy when it was added to the Note menu, and now it looks like I'm going to be unhappy again - unless there has been some change in behavior that will cause the note on the right to be visible in the Note List more often for me.

You can still open the note in a separate window by using holding Command/Option/Control down at the same time and hitting N.

The problem is that always opens the whole Evernote window up first and then slooowly opens the new note.

By the time the new note opens (and you have closed the Evernote window so you can see the screen you were actually working on) . . . you may have forgotten what you wanted to type in the new note!! 

The open note in new window is one of the features that I use the most in Evernote! So I am sorely missing the ease with which it used to work. The way it works now it breaks the work flow big time!

QuickNote does NOT replace the new note function because it is too limited; for instance there is no way to put in lists, or any of the other features in a normal new note.

Checks in check boxes still hard to see.

Reality is, many of us have been complaining about that and begging for that fix for quite a while now!

I am assuming this design has something to do with the app you have designed for Apple watch.

Could you at least make them darker gray for the Mac version?

Glad to see this. However, in the keynote, the design of the app was updated in Yosemite style... When will we have this new design?

Where in the keynote was a new Yosemite design shown?

Screenshots of an apparent Yosemite design for Evernote are also shown here:

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/10/02/context-work-enriched-smartest-minds

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/10/02/evernote-goes-collaborative-work-chat

Don't know anything about the status. Everything in due time. :)

Thanks--disabling contacts solved the crashing problem. I can now run 5.7.0. I did report the crashing problem Sunday evening, both here and in the crash report system.

Thanks! That's great to know. I just tested the right-click feature and it works like a charm. Whew!

No problems with 5.7 so never attempted to revert. 

I don't see why reverting could be an issue. As long as you kept the old Evernote.app file there should be no conflict if you uninstall it properly. Then the newly re-installed 5.6.2 should just pull a new copy of your database down from the servers. 

For every new release Everbloat becomes harder to use, more bugged and most importantly: It gets increasingly cluttered with buttons we don't need and can't remove while the buttons/features we do need are buried deeper and deeper in the interface.  And on top of that: Evernbloat gets filled to the brim with gimmicky features that most of us will never use. 

I believe the day has come where parting ways with Evernote is no longer a passing thought but a matter necessity. I cringe every time I open the app, whether on a Mac or on my iPhone. 

So long, and thanks for all the elephants.

I did some playing around with the new "Work Chat" feature and I am underwhelmed.  The fundamental problem it seems is they are trying to retrofit a collaborative workspace on an application and database designed for individual use and note storage.  To make this work, they would need to do a ground up re-design of their note structure, database and user interface.   If I am working with other people on a single note that I've shared with "Work Chat" and they are able to make changes that I have no visible way of tracking and no reliable versioning system to go back to previous drafts, it's not a very useful collaboration environment.  Sure, you can see when someone is working on a note with the littel avatars in the corner of the note, but if I go to the note and have no idea what they changed or when or by whom, that becomes a whole lot more confusing and less than helpful.  There are a lot of apps out there who do it better by an order of magnitude so why settle for this.  By focusing on these types of things just to be able to say they are focused on collaboration without actually delivering on it, they make Evernote less compelling and builds distrust among their user base, especially those who didn't want all the extra collaboration and business focus to begin with.

What is the roadmap for Evernote? I'm just wondering because I don't understand why some features are implemented and others are ignored.

I know the world does not revolve around my usage patterns, but I really can't understand why sharing a note by email is no longer under the share menu. I use(d) that all the time.

Do people really want to spend all their time in evernote that it was worth the resources to implement a chat client? Will you implement a web browser next? 

I'm not saying chat is worthless, I'm just trying to figure out how EN prioritizes features.

Please - just put via email back in the sharing menu. Please consider implementing Markdown. Please consider saved sort order in searches.

Thanks for listening!

I find this the same frustrating philosophy. on iOS, it doesn't take the first line of your not as the title so every note of mine reads 'untitled note'.  I'd hope the share menu comes back, it's a basic feature in most apps these days

• Level 5*

In the macro sense, Evernote CEO has made it clear over several years now that Evernote features are driven NOT by what the users want, but rather by what the Evernote employees want.  As I have observed, it seems to me that it really comes down to what the CEO Phil Libin wants.  He really doesn't seem to care all that much about what his customers/users want.

Having said that, I do want to acknowledge that Evernote/Jack has stated that they will reverse their decision to disallow access to local files.  So, it's not clear cut.

Evernote, or I should say CEO Phil Libin, thinks he (and therefore Evernote) always knows best.  He does NOT want to give his customers/users choices, he wants to dictate how they should use Evernote.

Here's a very recent quote from CEO Phil Libin:

Libin says this doesn't mean over-complicating Evernote or hitting users with a barrage of options and features – quite the opposite, in fact.

"We used to put function first, but now we put experience first. It took us years to figure this out, though!" he says.

"When you're in a design session, if the answer is 'make that configurable, put in a preference for this', that's almost always not the right answer. It's the lazy way out: you're leaving it up to the user to do the work of figuring things out."

IOW, he does NOT want to give us choices.  He wants to dictate his way of thinking.

IMO, this is ludicrous approach for an app that has more than 100M users.

There is NO WAY one size fits all.

• Level 5

1. Why move the "Email Note" function into a menu item, 2 steps hidden? What was wrong with where it was in the Share button? Same old story - why change something that worked? Many, if not most, of the notes that I email are to people who are NOT using Evernote. So Chat simply is no good. It also brings up the vexed question, yet again, of why Evernote is almost the only app running under Mac OS X that does NOT have a configurable toolbar. It used to be configurable, but this was removed several versions ago - again removing something that worked. We all use Evernote differently, and I, for one, would rearrange the buttons on the toolbar, as well as adding buttons to Email Note, Print, etc. 

The old "email note" functionality is getting deprecated. You can now email a note by clicking share and typing someone's email. This provides a better experience for the recipient because it doesn't rely on their email client to render a version of the note with limited capabilities.

Please consider bringing back a configurable toolbar - it is virtually a Mac OS X standard anyway.

Noted. Noted. Noted. :)

2. This new Context malarkey - completely and utterly useless for me. I'm not in the USA, and even if I were, I would have absolutely no use for that.  Also, there seems to be no way to change the source Web sites from the ones you have chosen (most of which are obscure apart from the WSJ). And there is NO way that I want my Evernote to go anywhere NEAR LinkedIn - which I have a complete ban on. It is the most intrusive site, and I have a complete spamblock on all those intensely annoying "Invitations from LinkedIn" that I seem to get all the time.

So my question is - if I disable Context in the Settings, is it COMPLETELY and properly disabled? As in - NOTHING gets sent to the WSJ, nothing is analysed to see if I might want some context anyway, but all I've done is hidden it?

1. Evernote does not send your content to any third parties. We do the matching entirely on our side. 

2. If you disable Context, we disable the feature completely.

Having said that, I do want to acknowledge that Evernote/Jack has stated that they will reverse their decision to disallow access to local files.  So, it's not clear cut.

In the last Mac 5.7.1 version, the access to local files are still disallowed.

If this is for security questions, why the links to web sites are not also disallowed? Would not have the same problem?

Or are there other issues?

I am teacher and have a lot of links to PDF local files, so this question is important to me.

• Level 5*

Jack - can you clear this up please?

The old "email note" functionality is getting deprecated. You can now email a note by clicking share and typing someone's email. This provides a better experience for the recipient because it doesn't rely on their email client to render a version of the note with limited capabilities.

It only provides a better experience if the recipient either has an evernote account or is willing to sign up for one - unless I'm misunderstanding how Work Chat works?

So for lots of people who don't have Evernote that I might want to share a note with, their experience will in fact to not be able to see anything at all.

Jack - thanks for those replies - I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to respond.'

However, I would echo Metrodon's concerns - what do you mean by Email Note being deprecated? As he says - does that mean I can no longer email a note to someone who does NOT have Evernote? If that is the case - then you've just cut off a huge chunk of Evernote's functionality in one fell swoop. If I (and Metrodon) have misunderstood you, then what exactly do you mean by "getting deprecated"? Why can't we simply keep that "Email Note" function in the Share button and let it just keep on working the way it has always worked. I've never had a problem with recipients telling me that their email client screwed up a note...!

I'm a surgeon, and I keep all sorts of clinical information notes in Evernote. I email the appropriate note to a patient so they can study things at home - operations, complications, precautions, etc etc., following a full consultation.  Are you seriously telling me I'm no longer going to be able to do that?

On the up side, I'm delighted to hear that turning Context off completely disables it.  But why have it defaulting to "On" in the first place? I would imagine only a small proportion of your users would get any use out of it. It would have to be one of the most useless ideas you've come up with so far....  Or maybe that's just me looking at the world through the eyes of someone who is not into business, to-do lists, networking with business contacts, etc etc - perhaps they may get some benefit from Context...??

• Level 5*

The most reliable way to send a read-only copy of a note from Evernote is with Work Chat. If you do not want to send via Evernote, a public note link will ensure reliable delivery and rendering.

I beg to differ.  The most reliable way is to print to PDF (to preserve formatting and make read-only), and then email outside of Evernote.  A "public note link" is unacceptable for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it is "public".

I think it has been decades since anyone complained to me that my email format was screwed up when they received it.  In today's world, all email clients I know about render HTML very well.

• Level 5*

Oh jeez.

You know I used to be one of the people who got really annoyed by the type of user who would come on here and just complain.

I think I'm becoming one of those people.

Emailing notes is going away because you are concerned about rendering and delivery?? Seriously? Why is work chat more reliable than email?

I've been around here for a long time and I can't remember a single user complaining about the way an Evernote note is rendered in email.

Why not be honest? "We want people to use Evernote so to encourage it's use, we are enforcing some sharing changes." People might not like it, but I'm sure they'd appreciate the truth rather than some really weak obfuscation.

The most reliable way to send a read-only copy of a note from Evernote is with Work Chat. If you do not want to send via Evernote, a public note link will ensure reliable delivery and rendering.

1 ) Work Chat does not allow me to send a static version of the note (i.e. if I make further changes to the note after sending, those changes will reflect in the note the recipient receives)

2 ) Work Chat requires the recipient to sign up for Evernote

3 ) Sending a public note link is less secure and unacceptable alternative in many cases.

4 ) I don't always want to chat about notes that I send, I just want to send them.

5 ) I have never had any one complain that notes which I forwarded were not formatted correctly or reliably delivered.

I have been an Evernote premium user since 2008 and have never considered migrating to other note application but this type of attitude toward users (i.e. we're deprecating this useful feature, too bad you liked it and found it useful) is making me strongly consider that route.

• Level 5*

Can you please define "deprecated" for us? In some development contexts (e.g. C++, OpenGL), it just means "now frowned on, use this shiny better thing instead, and don't bet on it being around forever even though it's still around <n> years after deprecation". In other words, is it going away any time soon, and if so, is there a timetable for users to make alternate arrangements? Thanks.

In the macro sense, Evernote CEO has made it clear over several years now that Evernote features are driven NOT by what the users want, but rather by what the Evernote employees want.  As I have observed, it seems to me that it really comes down to what the CEO Phil Libin wants.  He really doesn't seem to care all that much about what his customers/users want.

Evernote, or I should say CEO Phil Libin, thinks he (and therefore Evernote) always knows best.  He does NOT want to give his customers/users choices, he wants to dictate how they should use Evernote.

Here's a very recent quote from CEO Phil Libin:

Libin says this doesn't mean over-complicating Evernote or hitting users with a barrage of options and features – quite the opposite, in fact.

"We used to put function first, but now we put experience first. It took us years to figure this out, though!" he says.

"When you're in a design session, if the answer is 'make that configurable, put in a preference for this', that's almost always not the right answer. It's the lazy way out: you're leaving it up to the user to do the work of figuring things out."

IOW, he does NOT want to give us choices.  He wants to dictate his way of thinking.

IMO, this is ludicrous approach for an app that has more than 100M users.

There is NO WAY one size fits all.

Strong post but this attitude is the best way to run a company into the ground. I know Evernote is popular but all it takes is for another company to come out and listen to it's customers and topple it over. 

Experience is a very personal and individual reaction. You can't create something and think that everybody will have the same experience just because you did. Phil should really read the forum suggestions. Some strong ideas that have been around for years are all backing the Evernote app, but the app is letting people down by not implementing them.

Jack - please tell me you're kidding, right? This is all a huge belated April Fool joke? ARE YOU GUYS NOT LISTENING TO YOUR USERS?

I store things in Evernote that I email to patients. I do NOT intend to tell my patients that they need to sign up for Evernote just so they can read them. I have always just emailed them the note.  Nobody has EVER complained that they didn't get "reliable delivery and rendering".

Have you broken the delivery and rendering in some way? I also email notes of various articles from journals, web clippings, etc.  My wife stores recipes in Evernote and emails them to her friends. Again - not one single complaint that rendering doesn't work. And again - she is not about to tell all her friends that they MUST install Evernote just so they can get the notes.

This is ridiculous.  I too have been a Premium user since almost the beginning, and we have multiple Premium accounts in the family. But not being able to email notes may well be the last straw.

Please, PLEASE, convey to Phil that this dictatorial approach to your users has to STOP NOW! Please STOP dreaming up new and useless features like Context. Please STOP taking away features that work and that ARE useful, such as emailing notes, configurable toolbar, etc.

As somebody else posted, this is putting Evernote at risk - a startup will come along that actually listens to what people want, and Evernote is not too big to fail...!

I've asked the question on here many times over the last few years - but WHY?  Exactly WHY did you remove the configurable toolbar?  And WHY are you now removing the ability to email notes?

If Evernote is used as a repository for countless, varied, and random bits of information (which is its main strength), then the ability to retrieve that information and share it is vital. And sharing it via some hinky "Work Chat" stupidity is NOT the way to do it. Who the hell uses Work Chat from Evernote to Evernote apart from Evernote employees anyway? Whereas everybody has email. And sending a public link is just plain stupid.

Please tell Phil that you know you have crossed the line once you have Metrodon complaining about things! 

So, a heartfelt plea - PLEASE GIVE US BACK OUR ABILITY TO EMAIL NOTES AND TO DO IT EASILY

Please folks, before we get too knotted up in the underdrawers, let's find out what "deprecated" means. It is generally not the same as "removed".

"Deprecation is an attribute applied to a computer software feature, characteristic, or practice to indicate that it should be avoided (often because it is being superseded). Beyond describing software, the term is also used for a feature, design, or practice that is permitted but no longer recommended in other areas, such as word usage, hardware design, or compliance to building codes."

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecation

Basically, it is becoming apparent that we are being told not to email notes, they are making it difficult to email notes, and sometime soon they will be making it impossible to email notes.

I wonder how many people actually use Work Chat?  Really?  In real life (as opposed to within Evernote corporation)? And how many people actually use Context and find it useful? I know I'm shooting from the hip on gut feeling here, but I'd suggest that it would be a tiny proportion of Evernote users. Whereas emailing notes has been the main way of sharing a note with someone from the beginning.

As you can no doubt tell - this has got me very pissed off!  And a company that pisses off its users is one that is not listening to them. OK - I know I'm a sample size of one - but I suspect that the overall sample size who will be mightily pissed off once they realise that they can't email notes any more - once that function is "deprecated" - is a very large sample size!

• Level 5*

Everyone might want to view The Evolution of Evernote's Story with Andrew Sinkov (EN VP of Marketing).

According to Andrew:

• Evernote no longer views itself as a "note taking" app
  • Evernote no longer views itself as a storage provider for all your memories
  • Evernote states they have conquered and dominate the note taking market, but it is a boring market that has little impact on the world
  • They have "paused", and re-evaluated who they are, and what they want to do
  • They now see themselves as the provider of relevant information as you work/type in Evernote
  • Level 5*

Please folks, before we get too knotted up in the underdrawers, let's find out what "deprecated" means. It is generally not the same as "removed".

Basically, it is becoming apparent that we are being told not to email notes, they are making it difficult to email notes, and sometime soon they will be making it impossible to email notes.

There's really no concrete basis for the claim that they'll be making it impossible "sometime soon". There's ample precedent in the software world for that removal to be delayed for years (if it ever happens at all). Deprecation is an ambiguous term; that's why I've asked for a clarification. I understand that it's important, but clarity is what's wanted. If they remove it tomorrow, with that little warning, then I'd agree -- yell at them all you want. But until we get a more clear answer, I'd ask folks to hold off on the yelling; telling how important it is to you is fine, though.

BTW, hardly anyone is using Work Chat currently, most likely -- this shouldn't be surprising: it just rolled out in the last few days. It actually looks pretty interesting, based on my 10 minute evaluation on my two accounts.

• Level 5*

There's really no concrete basis for the claim that they'll be making it impossible "sometime soon". There's ample precedent in the software world for that removal to be delayed for years (if it ever happens at all). Deprecation is an ambiguous term; that's why I've asked for a clarification. I understand that it's important, but clarity is what's wanted. If they remove it tomorrow, with that little warning, then I'd agree -- yell at them all you want. But until we get a more clear answer, I'd ask folks to hold off on the yelling; telling how important it is to you is fine, though.

BTW, hardly anyone is using Work Chat currently, most likely -- this shouldn't be surprising: it just rolled out in the last few days. It actually looks pretty interesting, based on my 10 minute evaluation on my two accounts.

I might just be dense, but as far as I can tell, we already lost the ability to email notes. We can email a link to someone inviting them to join a work chat and then we can share the note through that. Here are my thoughts on that.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/72747-share-notes-via-email/?p=317434

By the way, I have someone (only one person) in my work chats who I do not know. He / she doesn't appear in my contacts, as far as I can tell. It is a little disconcerting to see them in my "chats" when I haven't actually chatted with them. Again, I might just be dense and not understanding the Work Chat thing.

[EDIT]

I see now. We can still share by email in the menu bar: Note -> More Sharing -> Email note. I suspect this will go away at some point. Even if it doesn't, it is certainly well-hidden, and I am not a big fan of that.

• Level 5*

I see now. We can still share by email in the menu bar: Note -> More Sharing -> Email note. I suspect this will go away at some point. Even if it doesn't, it is certainly well-hidden, and I am not a big fan of that.

Deprecation by obfuscation? 

• Level 5

I truly appreciate the spirited discussion (as always!). A few points:

• We rarely deprecate functionality completely and we always do diligent research before making a final decision. This move was not taken lightly.
  • We receive complaints that often don't make it onto forums. Rendering, delivery, and limited functionality have been serious issues in the past. 
  • We all use Evernote too and some of us were happy with the email a copy functionality. 

We haven't decided on a timetable for when (or even whether) we will completely remove the "email a copy of a note" functionality. That's why, as always, the forum is a great place for us to gather feedback. Our goal is to encourage people to use work chat because we truly believe it will make for a better experience for both sender and recipient. It is NOT our goal to remove functionality that people use without just cause.

I love the feedback so far. Let's keep it civil and free flowing. Thank you all! Chat on.

We haven't decided on a timetable for when (or even whether) we will completely remove the "email a copy of a note" functionality. That's why, as always, the forum is a great place for us to gather feedback. Our goal is to encourage people to use work chat because we truly believe it will make for a better experience for both sender and recipient. It is NOT our goal to remove functionality that people use without just cause.

Jack - we appreciate your interaction on here too, despite our complaints.

But I really have to keep asking the question as to WHY? For those of us who do NOT have any problems with "Email Note", and who are quite happy with it, why remove it at all?  Just because some people had a problem with rendering etc? Wouldn't that depend more on the type of note?

And the whole Work Chat thing - do we REALLY need yet another chat function, on top of IM, Facebook Messaging, Texting, iMessage, etc etc etc? I don't really WANT to chat with my patients after I've just done an hour consultation - I just want to send them whichever information sheet is appropriate - and I've always been able to do that by storing them in Evernote.  The whole Work Chat idea (tell me if I have misunderstood this) seems more geared towards work environments, collaboration, etc. But that is NOT how I (and no doubt a multitude of others) use Evernote.

Anyway - I've said more than enough, so you get the drift of my sentiments :rolleyes:

Keeping it civil and free flowing is good. And keep on interacting Jack - we appreciate it, we really do. As long as you can get Phil to listen to the users...! :wacko:

• Level 5*

I truly appreciate the spirited discussion (as always!). A few points:

. . .

I love the feedback so far. Let's keep it civil and free flowing. Thank you all! Chat on.

Jack, you are a true gentleman.  You really know how to respond to critical feedback.  Thanks for your great attitude.

We don't always agree, but you are always civil.

I am starting to think the Mac App Store users have been abandoned.  The last update was in April of 2014 at version 5.5.1, while people who use the web version have 5.7.  What is the reasoning for this?  Why is it that other apps release their updates at the same time, while Evernote does not?  What is the reasoning for this?  Will the Mac App Store version ever be updated again?  Or is focus now on the web version?

• Level 5

We have not abandoned the Mac App Store. Direct download will get faster updates in some rare cases. In this case, 5.7 is a HUGE change. The transition is much more difficult to manage when there's no way to push a patch fix release without a review cycle with Apple. We are trying to balance fast releases with stability and are erring on the side of stability. 

Premium user here, got to agree with the points made by Skellam. I don't need another messaging system, and especially one that requires the other party to install software and sign up to a service ? They've already done that for their other systems, why force them to do it for another propriety system ? Its a very early 90's approach.

Evernote used to be king in this space, but if you annoy your user base there are plenty of alternates to flick to. I just cant comprehend how evernote can mess up so badly. You were in a good space with your users, plenty of word of mouth recommendations. Not so much anymore.

I'm using Evernote for my GTD system and the email feature is crucial to make it work. I actually joined the forum to ask if I could email notes without going through my Mac Mail desktop app.

Please don't remove it.

Archived