Sync'd from desktop, lost lots of tags

Rob Freundlich

I'm just getting started with Evernote.  This afternoon I spent some time at work going through the notes I've created so far (about 36) and adding tags to them using the Windows (7) client.  I sync'd before I left, and then when I got home, I sync'd to my home Windows (7) client.  To my surprise, a huge portion of the tags are gone!  I looked on the web - gone.  Looked on my Android device - gone.

I logged into my work computer, opened the EN client, and turned off all syncing.  I then exported all of the notes as an ENEX file and sent it to my home computer.  I deleted all of my notes there, and imported the notes from the file.  It brought back my tags with it, I moved the notes to the correct folders, and re-sync'd.  Sure enough, the tags disappeared again from the web client.

Huh?

Here's a list of all of the tags from the Windows client:

post-231281-0-36803100-1414536378_thumb.

Here are the tags that show up in the web client:

post-231281-0-44339200-1414536501_thumb.

Anyone have any advice?

• Level 5*

This is very strange behavior and looks like a bug to me.  You seem to have done all the right things with respect to syncing, so I have no clue why your Tags keep disappearing.

I suggest you Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

EDIT:  I just had a thought.  Are the missing tags all in LOCAL Notebooks?  I have seen other users report that Tags created/assigned to Local NBs don't always sync properly.

This is very strange behavior and looks like a bug to me.  You seem to have done all the right things with respect to syncing, so I have no clue why your Tags keep disappearing.

I suggest you Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

EDIT:  I just had a thought.  Are the missing tags all in LOCAL Notebooks?  I have seen other users report that Tags created/assigned to Local NBs don't always sync properly.

Good thought, but at the moment all of my Notebooks are sync'd.

I'll submit a bug report.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

One thought, create a note on the web and add all of the new tags to it.  Sync and see if any of the other notes pick up the tags.  Sounds weird I know, but I had some tags that did not make it to web once and this fixed it, don't know why.  It was a while back, so not sure it will work.

If that doesn't work and you are comfortable you have a solid backup in the ENEX file, delete all the notes from the web except the note created above.  Sync both PCs to be sure they have the one note.  Then load your ENEX file, sync and check the web that all your notes are there with the right tags.  Then sync you work computer and check there.  Not an onerous process with 36 notes.

Net of all this my history is that sometimes a tag created on the PC won't sync.  Clueless as to how-come-for-why, but getting the web to recognize the tag is what is required to fix.  May not be your issue, FWIW. 

One thought, create a note on the web and add all of the new tags to it.  Sync and see if any of the other notes pick up the tags.  Sounds weird I know, but I had some tags that did not make it to web once and this fixed it, don't know why.  It was a while back, so not sure it will work.

If that doesn't work and you are comfortable you have a solid backup in the ENEX file, delete all the notes from the web except the note created above.  Sync both PCs to be sure they have the one note.  Then load your ENEX file, sync and check the web that all your notes are there with the right tags.  Then sync you work computer and check there.  Not an onerous process with 36 notes.

Net of all this my history is that sometimes a tag created on the PC won't sync.  Clueless as to how-come-for-why, but getting the web to recognize the tag is what is required to fix.  May not be your issue, FWIW. 

Interesting idea.  I tried creating one note with all of the tags, but it didn't make a difference.  I don't want to delete and re-sync, though, because it'll push up my transfer volume.  What I might try is to re-tag everything on the web and see whether it all syncs properly after that.

I also have submitted a bug report, so I'll see what they come up with.

• Level 5*

I urge great caution before taking this approach of deleting all Notes  using the EN Web client.  IMO this should be an absolutely LAST RESORT, after consulting with Evernote Tech Support.

I have seen this done in other cases, and it can, and often does, cause a lot of other problems.

I urge great caution before taking this approach of deleting all Notes  using the EN Web client.  IMO this should be an absolutely LAST RESORT, after consulting with Evernote Tech Support.

I have seen this done in other cases, and it can, and often does, cause a lot of other problems.

Thanks for the warning!  I ended up manually retagging everything in the web client, and then resyncing both computers.  Now everything seems fine.

I've still got a support ticket outstanding, so when I hear from them, I'll post the results back here.

• Level 5*

Glad you are fixed now.  To be clear, I was not being cavalier with the recommendation of deleting and reloading, I was taking into account that you were dealing with 36 notes.  In any case, if you want belts and suspenders, I would create any new tags on the web awaiting the response to your support ticket.

Update on my bug report: I've gotten a response from Evernote support in which they asked me for an AppLog from the period in question.  I sent them logs from both my home and work computers.

I also pointed them at this thread and the one that nayarats started (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/53106-all-my-tags-disappeared/), suggesting that they reach out to other people who are having the same trouble and gather more applogs from them.

I'll keep you all posted as I get more info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having the same experience, and posted in the link you mentioned, Rob. 

This is a huge "trust-breaking" bug, and hopefully Evernote works it out over the next few months. If there's a better way to keep this bug triaging information better organized in the forums let me know.

Update on my bug report: I've gotten a response from Evernote support in which they asked me for an AppLog from the period in question.  I sent them logs from both my home and work computers.

I also pointed them at this thread and the one that nayarats started (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/53106-all-my-tags-disappeared/), suggesting that they reach out to other people who are having the same trouble and gather more applogs from them.

I'll keep you all posted as I get more info.

Archived