Typing / checkbox lag time so bad almost unusable

DeclanZee

Idea

Not sure which update did this but lately on my Evernote app on my Mac Pro (2012 model) when I tick a checkbox or type there's a ridiculous lag time.

To the point where it's not really useful.

First noticed when I'd check a "to do" box and nothing would happen. Then I'd check it again only to see the program check and then uncheck the box.

I've been using Evernote for a few years.  Anyone else having this problem?

I don't know what's going on 'under the hood' but simple typing, in 2014, should not tax a processor.

My Evernote (Evernote 5.6.2 ) is up to date.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks.

22 replies to this idea

I suspect gazumped has (perhaps, incorrectly) latched onto your comment:

...I cannot be bothered to reinstall the entire app in the middle of class, or even a typical work day.

which he may have mistaken for you being recalcitrant, even though your initial post suggests you have been the opposite (we are all just regular joe users here sos sometimes we have trouble keeping track of every word in a particular thread!)

Same here.  It's so buggy and unpredictable we had to use a different method and threw Evernote out the proverbial window.

Huge time sucker.

Creating large scale to do lists, added check boxes, clicked um complete and poof.... they disappear.  I have no idea if I sent the new hire a fruit basket, or his benefits packet.

[X] Evernote= concept was awesome.

[X} execution= stinks.

[X} Premium forum is no better

It WAS going to be our end all, be all.  Now we are doing our checkmark boxing  in Yammer.

Hopefully the update to 6.0.5 has resolved some of these queries.

I am using Evernote 6.0.5 on my MacBook Pro, and the lag is definitely a frustrating issue. The problem gets worse as the document gets longer. E.g., when I first start a note the lag is not noticeable, but when I type a lot (especially a document with formatting) it gets worse and worse.

I have disabled related notes, Evernote Helper, and Show Context. Not sure where the lag is coming from - maybe something to do with trying to index the note in real-time?

REALLY depressing to see posts about this going back as far as August of this year - here it is December 2014, and the problem has only gotten worse. The typing lag in Evernote on Mac is so bad that I am seriously considering closing the account and just living with Apple's badly hobbled "Notes" app. But I can't be on conference calls trying to transcribe mission-critical client statements as fast as I can type, only to look up and see twelve words ago, a cursor, and a spinning beach ball.

The upgrade to Yosemite has made this problem far, far worse - and it may well be an Apple problem, I don't know.

All I know is, the problem is much worse in Evernote than I see occasionally in Apple apps such as TextEdit, Notes, or Mail.

what the hell is going on with this post?  I was just trying to leave feedback along with the original poster.  

Maybe you don't like the way I said "i cannot be bothered" but it's true.  

The latest update did not fix the problem.  I'm just trying to take notes... I will find something new and will unsubscribe from this thread.  Thanks for nothing, really.

• Level 5*

I suspect gazumped has (perhaps, incorrectly) latched onto your comment:

...I cannot be bothered to reinstall the entire app in the middle of class, or even a typical work day.

which he may have mistaken for you being recalcitrant, even though your initial post suggests you have been the opposite (we are all just regular joe users here sos sometimes we have trouble keeping track of every word in a particular thread!)

OK regular joe - I think you responded to one user with a quote from another...

And yes I was responding to that quote - I didn't (intend to) comment on the first one because @DeclanZee had also said he had fixed the issue but was leaving Evernote anyway....

But if someone has had this experience and fixed it,  they've done so because they could be bothered to try all the basic fixes including reinstalling if necessary.

I'm not sure what you are referring to here, as in my second post I stated explicitly: "Additional info: I completely deleted the app and support files and did a fresh install."

You seem to be jumping in assuming users haven't tried the basic fixes. Perhaps many haven't. But before I post in a forum I have generally tried everything obvious (re-start, update, re-install, rebuild preferences, etc.)

I laid down $50 for this.  I'm sure there is something in the works for a fix, but I can't use it until it's fixed.  It probably has to do with Mac, not sure. 

edit: just started it up and saw that there is an update.  will report my findings tomorrow. fingers crossed

But this does seem a moment to point out... someone will jump on me and say "It's free so stop whining" but honestly the lack of *any* support unless I am a "Premium" member does not convince me to become a Premium member - the sales pitch amounts to "Does this suck? Pay us some money to make it suck less." Which is kinda how organized crime and large monopolies operate.

Instead such policy just tends to send me elsewhere. Just discovered the open-source Notational Velocity and it's offshoots. So long Evernote. It's been real for a couple years.

Absolutely. And the way they took away support from free users is disgusting. No official announcement. No explanations. No excuses. 

• Level 5*

Not sure if you work for evernote or something, but this is the best place to put feedback like this because every other attempt doesn't seem to help.  Hopefully someone else has similar issues to us so we don't have to deal with it.  I cannot be bothered to reinstall the entire app in the middle of class, or even a typical work day.  An average consumer such as myself is going to find something else.

I'm sure they're working on it.  Hope someone is working on it.  The "unusual complications" started right after the latest evernote or Mac OS update..not sure which one.

I don't work for Evernote - see 'user forum' comments above.  Nor was I suggesting that this isn't the place to provide feedback.  But if someone has had this experience and fixed it,  they've done so because they could be bothered to try all the basic fixes including reinstalling if necessary.  I'd doubt Evernote are working on anything related at this stage - with only two users out of tens of millions having a problem (so far) it seems most likely that there's a purely local cause like the infinitely repeating to do list.  There is a new version however - if you're not already on 5.7,  maybe another update will help.

Not sure if you work for evernote or something, but this is the best place to put feedback like this because every other attempt doesn't seem to help.  Hopefully someone else has similar issues to us so we don't have to deal with it.  I cannot be bothered to reinstall the entire app in the middle of class, or even a typical work day.  An average consumer such as myself is going to find something else.

I'm sure they're working on it.  Hope someone is working on it.  The "unusual complications" started right after the latest evernote or Mac OS update..not sure which one.

• Level 5*

We're a user forum,  so detailed responses in less than a few days are sometimes beyond us,  but the fixes for slow reactions are usually..

• Restart the device
  • Uninstall and reinstall the app (ensuring you have the latest Evernote.com version)
  • Rebuild the database

There's no general experience (AFAIK) that Evernote runs unusably slowly unless there are unusual complications.

Okay, I found the culprit.

It seems when Evernote 'upgraded' and 'updated' my notes, the program somehow created a 500 page note out of my original 1-page daily to-do list.

This 500 page note was just the original content looped many, many times with some message about conflicting content or something.

I copied out the stuff I needed and got rid of the extra stuff, now it's working.

But this does seem a moment to point out... someone will jump on me and say "It's free so stop whining" but honestly the lack of *any* support unless I am a "Premium" member does not convince me to become a Premium member - the sales pitch amounts to "Does this suck? Pay us some money to make it suck less." Which is kinda how organized crime and large monopolies operate.

Instead such policy just tends to send me elsewhere. Just discovered the open-source Notational Velocity and it's offshoots. So long Evernote. It's been real for a couple years.

Hope this post helped you if you are having the same problem I was.

Well, I guess glad to know I'm not the only one.

I just updated my Mac OS hoping that would clear the problem but it has not.

Sounds like the same thing - typing speed is actually reasonable but return, backspace, tab... each of these causes the program to grind temporarily to a halt.

I have very similar problems.  I use a lot of bullets and formatting short cuts for bolding and underlining words and lines.  I get a lot of lag, and at one point could not keep up in class because I was waiting on the spinning beachball.

Every time I hit enter or especially tab, there is lag.  This did not happen prior to either the latest Mac OS update or Evernote update.  I've started new notes a couple of times and the problem isn't immediately there, but after a little bit of content is put into the note, the lag begins.

Additional info: I completely deleted the app and support files and did a fresh install.

Getting the same behavior.

Here is some more detail: typing is okay, but the second I hit return, or backspace (delete) or the shortcut for checkbox I get a lag and sometimes a spinning beachball.

Anyone else experiencing this or know of any way to fix it?

Archived