Lost all but 6 tags? WHAT....

DanielLindegaard

• Level 5*

Hi.  Don't know how or why all your tags have disappeared,  but check the server version of your account via Evernote.com (if you're not already using the web version in a browser).  Are the tags missing there?

• Level 5*

There haven't (yet) been any reports of Evernote completely losing a tagging system,  so I'm still puzzled as to what might have caused it.  With all your devices showing the same information though,  it's clear the tags have been completely deleted from the system.  There's no way AFAIK to look into 'note history' and retrieve tags (that's a premium option anyway) so about the only options left are: any recent backup you may have available of your notes database,  or manually re-tagging your notes.

• 2 months later...

I've done some research, and this appears to be a relatively common occurrence. I was re-organizing some tagging, I deleted a tag with (0) associated notes, and *ALL* of my tags disappeared, everywhere.  I've submitted a support ticket, but so far (3 days now) I have not heard from EN. I *do*, in fact have a backup, it's a couple of months old, but I've not added many notes; however, I've added enough, and recreating them is impossible. I'm hoping there is a way to use my backup to reapply the tags from my backup to my notes without overwriting my notes and annotations, but obviously I need EN to reply to my support ticket.

I'm responding because of the comment, "There haven't (yet) been any reports of Evernote completely losing a tagging system," which isn't correct.  There are forum accounts of this problem dating back to early 2014.

EN, if you're listening, users experiencing losing tags from years worth and thousands of documents is an issue--you need to fix the problem.

@zworld

EN is no allways the fastest, but they are working on it. I have been working with EN about this, and the conclution on my issue was, there was no help... All was gone.
But that is okey, it forced me to re orginaize my notes, and setting up my notes "currect".

Hope you will find your lost Tags, or get a it and working right :-)

• Level 5*

I've done some research, and this appears to be a relatively common occurrence. I was re-organizing some tagging, I deleted a tag with (0) associated notes, and *ALL* of my tags disappeared, everywhere.  I've submitted a support ticket, but so far (3 days now) I have not heard from EN. I *do*, in fact have a backup, it's a couple of months old, but I've not added many notes; however, I've added enough, and recreating them is impossible. I'm hoping there is a way to use my backup to reapply the tags from my backup to my notes without overwriting my notes and annotations, but obviously I need EN to reply to my support ticket.

I'm responding because of the comment, "There haven't (yet) been any reports of Evernote completely losing a tagging system," which isn't correct.  There are forum accounts of this problem dating back to early 2014.

EN, if you're listening, users experiencing losing tags from years worth and thousands of documents is an issue--you need to fix the problem.

You presumably have a ticket number,  which will confirm your report is in a queue - you should get a response within a few (working) days,  but it's now the weekend so all bets are off until Monday.

There have been reports of tagging problems,  but AFAIK that's usually to do with changes in one client not syncing through to others.  Unexplained loss of all (or most) tags hasn't been happening when I've been around here.

Unfortunately there's no way to restore tags without notes - but if you have ENEX files as backups,  you could restore your 'old' notes to different notebooks,  which will also restore the tags themselves.  Sort your notes by title and it should be possible to retag the newer versions of your old notes and then delete the old ones again.

Archived