"Print Note" no longer prints my pdf's

Vectorbud

Idea

21 replies to this idea

Canela,

I just reread my last post, and I was confused. My synching problem has been solved, but not the pdf printing problem that is the content of this thread.

Like you, I am still hoping that someone can come up with a solution. Sorry about my previous reply. That probably stopped anyone who might have an idea from responding.

• Level 5*

There is NO guarantee that Evernote "tech support" personnel will read any thread on these forums.

It is often said every thread is read by someone from Evernote.  But I have no way of verifying that.

If you want to make sure Evernote at least hears about your issue, then Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

I had put in a bug report on my above-mentioned synching issue, which was solved by Evernote tech support. I don't believe that I ever put in a bug report on this printing issue. I opened this thread instead. I thought that some tech support reps were reading this thread, but maybe not.

Happy Chap, it might be a nice idea for you to report this as a bug and reference this thread.

I've the same problem running 6.0.6 for Mac. I'm happy to submit another bug report but does anyone know the status of the previous bug report. Has anything been done about it?

Incidentally, my workaround was to double-click the PDF in the note (which opens it in a PDF reader) and then print from there. Works but way more effort than it should require if Evernote handled this properly.

Same problem here.  It surely seems a bug.

I tried different workarounds unsuccesfully. One that seemed promising was to create a "new Note with the old content as a single PDF", but the generated PDF has white space for the embeded PDFs.

I ended up mailing the Note using Note > More Sharing > Mail.  That was good enough for my purposes though it does not really solve the "Print" issue.

- eduard/o

I'm having the same problem -- my note consists of one line of text followed by a pdf that I pasted into the note. When I'm in Evernote (ver. 6.0.6 for Mac), I can see the contents of the pasted pdf file. But when I "Print note . . .", what comes out of the printer is two pages: the first with the title of the note at the top, followed by a shaded icon that simply says "PDF File". The second page contains the contents of the pdf. This is wasteful--it prints 2 pages for each one-page note.

I had this problem as well -- PDFs not printing and the print box only showing one blank page -- and submitted a bug report and activity log. Here is part of the response (1/12/15). It has been a month but I am hopeful that the fix will happen soon ... like the next update?

"I have gathered enough details to determine that this appears to be a bug. I am going to pass this along to my product team to further investigate."

I found this thread interesting since I too have many notes with PDFs in them. I did some experimenting and the news is not good. First, I'm using a Mac Pro 3,1 running the latest version of Mavericks (10.9.5) and the latest version of the Evernote app for Mac (v. 6.0.5).

First I chose a note with a title and just a single page PDF in the body of the note. The PDF is an image of a map so I will use "map" to refer to the PDF contents. If the PDF is visible I see the map, if only the PDF header is visible then I do not see the map. I chose this particular note because the PDF is small and the whole note with headers and the map would easily fit on one side of a letter size sheet of paper.

The behavior is the same regardless of whether I see the map or not in the Evernote app. I select File > Print Note from the toolbar menu. The Print Note dialog box indicates there is one page and it's blank. When I actually print the note I get one completely blank page and a second page with the map.

In the Print Note dialog box, if I check the box next to "Print Headers" then I get a page with the header information on it (Note title, Notebook, Author, Created and Updated) and a second page with the map on it.  

So then I modified the note and put two lines of text in the Note body, one before the PDF and one after the PDF. When I printed this note out the first page had the two lines of text and nothing else, and a second page with the map. This, to me, is not acceptable.

Now I want to point out that my printer is set up to print 2-sided. The fact that I'm getting two sheets of paper for this small note and it's not simply the words on one side of the sheet and the map on the other says that Evernote is creating two print jobs for this note. One for the text on the page and one for the PDF.

Also, I am not having the same issue as VectorBud. a PDF in Evernote will print out, only as a separate print job and not as part of the note.

After looking at several Evernote Notes with PDFs embedded in them the behavior is the same. However, images, work as one would expect -- a note printed with text and images is one print job and looks very much as the note appears in the app.

I have the same problem, I used to have all my pdf's into evernote.

At this moment I have to save the pdf's separately to dropbox, that wouldn't be necessary if I could print the note's plus pdf's if I need them to be printed or saved as pdf's

• Level 5*

Well,  I can suggest work-arounds,  but not solutions as such..

Would it be practical for your use case to open the pdf in its own window and print from there,  or view the note in a browser and try printing from there?  Apart from being useful if they work,  it would also point up the fact that it's the app itself that's a problem,  not the print process...

Canela,

As I mentioned in my 28 Oct posting, my problem is now solved. I didn't do anything at my end so I assume that Evernote made some change to the website.

I checked again just now, and it is still working for me. Does it not work for you?

gazumped (and JMichael),

I went ahead and reinstalled, but it didn't help.

As I ponder this, I believe my problem started immediately after I rebuilt the Evernote database as part of an Evernote fix I performed under the direction of Evernote Tech Support a few weeks ago. The problem was that my Mac app suddenly stopped synching with the Evernote web site. Several other users reported the same problem. Apparently Tech Support fixed the web site after a week or two because they emailed me to check again whether synching was working, and it was. They then told me to rebuild my database , which I did. After that, I don't recall needing to print anything for a week or so, so I didn't associate this printing problem with the rebuild. After the rebuild I did notice that my notes looked a little differently; namely, they then had an additional pdf icon not previously there. But since the notes all looked good it didn't occur to me at that time to check for a printing problem.

gazumped, thanks for the suggestions. I can't find any option for "view as attachment"  or "view PDF files as attachments".

To be clear, the attachments are visiible. The viewer shows an attachment icon, and below that it shows the entire pdf content. But, even though I can view the note, that is not what prints out.

Strangely, when I click on Info for a note, under "Attachment Status" it says "No attachment to index".

In my web browser there also has been a change. I used to be able to view the contents of each file there. Now I only see the name of the pdf file and I have to double click it to view it in an external viewer. Since I normally do all my Evernote work in the Mac app, this doesn't affect me much.

• Level 5*

If any other 5.6.2 user reports that they can print a note+attachments without problems,  it's worth raising a support request,  though if you're a free user it could take a while to get any response.  For my part in Windows 8.0 when I print a note with an included icon all I get is an icon too;  if the content of the PDF is viewable in the note,  then it's printed out* with the note.  You might try switching "view as attachment" on and off for your note,  and if its available for the database,  toggle the "view PDF files as attachments" option too..

Edit - * just to be clear the visible contents are printed,  not all of the PDF if there's more than one page.

Hmmm... Let me try to explain better. My notes are all pdf file imports to Evernote. When I veiw them in Evernote, I am able to read the entire pdf contents; i.e., I can view the notes. But, when I print, I get an almost blank page that simply reads "pdf file". In order to print out the note itself, I now have to export the note to a pdf reader and print from there, a lot of work.

My Evernote files have always been pdf imports for the most part. And, until a few weeks ago, they viewed like notes and printed like notes. Now, printing no longer works.

• Level 5*

I actually think that is a good thing, as long as Evernote provides an option to ALSO print the PDF.

There are many, many cases where I would NOT want a print of the Note to also print the PDF, but only to note it as an attachment.

Archived