Presentation Mode Windows

rmw1

Is it possible to open Word or Excel document in Presentation Mode on Windows? Have been trying to figure out with no success. Can open on IPAD but need Laptop for weekly team meetings. Would be great to be open docs on laptop during meeting. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• Level 5*

Best advice - try it out before you risk any career-sensitive moves.  I haven't used Presentation Mode in anger yet,  but having tried it out a bit more thoroughly I'm inclined to look harder for an opportunity now.  It appears that you can open and page through a PDF file,  just by clicking on it.  For me it opens in a new Adobe window (YMMV) on top of the presentation,  and then I get the presentation back when I close  that file down - it's in another window,  so I can move it around to see the original note content too.  Links to files and web pages also work on the same principle.  Can't guarantee it will work with all your file types but it looks promising...

Get used to the format though - seem to me I'd have to write notes specially for a presentation (or tidy up my normal style a lot) - there's no equivalent of slides here;  if you you can get War & Peace into a note,  you'll be able to page down,  and down,  and down... and see the whole thing.  Not exactly easy to navigate through a very long note and jump back to relevant bits.  Search doesn't work here - all you can do is scroll.  Keep 'em short and to the point,  and make a TOC note the first item in your show so you have an outline to talk about,  plus maybe have a link to your TOC at the foot of each note as a lifebelt when the boss says "show me that P&L account again..."

Is it possible to open Word or Excel document in Presentation Mode on Windows? Have been trying to figure out with no success. Can open on IPAD but need Laptop for weekly team meetings. Would be great to be open docs on laptop during meeting. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Just as you said, I can't open Word docs in Windows presentation mode... but can on iPad. I didn't know that was possible. Good to know. Like Gazumped says, PDF should open up in a PDF reader (or in my Acrobat Pro)... a suggestion... why not convert your Word docs to PDF for presentations (keep both together in the note)... at least they can be opened up by clicking on the PDFs in presentation mode, both on iPad and Windows (albeit externally).

It would be interesting to find out if there were some way, when creating a PDF from a Word doc, to have the new PDF save directly to the same Evernote note as the Word doc. 

• Level 5*

..as to the Word.doc printed to PDF and saved in the same note?  Yes,  sure - if you save it to desktop first and then drag and drop. There's no way (AFAIK) to direct the output of a Print to PDF to save a file direct to Evernote.  Oh wait - save to an Import folder and merge the notes?...  Hmmn....

..as to the Word.doc printed to PDF and saved in the same note?  Yes,  sure - if you save it to desktop first and then drag and drop. There's no way (AFAIK) to direct the output of a Print to PDF to save a file direct to Evernote.  Oh wait - save to an Import folder and merge the notes?...  Hmmn....

I was thinking of import folders... haha, but for all my tinkering, it occurred to me that maybe just plain old saving to desktop and then dragging to the original note containing the Word Doc is still pretty reasonable. Maybe we'll have this automated in a Braver New World - as a direct Evernote option... or better still, if they manage to make good on their vision of making Word/ Office obsolete, we could just bypass all known forms of documents. I'm holding my breath.

• Level 5*

Well,  as you note,  rumour (and YouTube) hasseth it (sorry - I'm in a Medieval mood today) that Evernote will shortly be a Working Environment - it'll deffo be interesting to see that play out...

Well,  as you note,  rumour (and YouTube) hasseth it (sorry - I'm in a Medieval mood today) that Evernote will shortly be a Working Environment - it'll deffo be interesting to see that play out...

I had to chuckle to myself... reminds me of someone's comment here in the forums about "how Shakespeare ever coped" in the topic about Evernote being a polished writing tool. Was that... Jefito? Seems like whenever Shakespeare is mentioned, someone has to take offense... so get medieval, but leave Shakespeare out of it if you don't want to step on any toes  :P

• 1 month later...

Archived