Desktop vs. Online

Greetings,

I'm somewhat new to Evernote, however, I must say i'm really digging it so far. I do have a couple questions I'm hoping some of you more experienced EverNoteors may be able help me out with. Sorry in advance if these questions seem a bit basic, but like I said I'm somewhat new:

1. Is there a way to automatically Sync my desktop evernote to the online version after a certain amount of time?  Or do I have to always click the Sync button or close out the app? The reason is if I'm working on my desktop and do not click Sync and forget to close out I cannot get my new notes on my smart phone until I do. I have a bad habit of walking away from my desk and then looking for something on my phone to find it's not there yet. 
  2. I'm I better off just using the online version of Evernote or the Desktop version? I find switching back and forth a little bit confusing. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, but right not I mostly just use the online version. 
  3. What is the major advantage in using the Desktop version vs. the online version? I mean I understand it's safer to back up my stuff to my desktop and the cloud but are there other advantages I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for the help and again, sorry if I come across as a complete tool. 

• Level 5*

Desktop: Windows? Mac?

The Windows version will auto-sync at scheduled intervals or on selected events if you tell it to: Tools / Options / Sync ... It also syncs notes as you edit them. I mainly use the desktop as it is generally a better UI for me, but only you can make the decision. If the web version works for you, then use it.

Edit: one big benefit of using a desktop client is that you have the ability to control your own backups. And you can also have local notebooks, which are never synced to the cloud (nor, by extension, shared with any other device), so you'd definitely want to back those up since the cloud never sees them.

Thanks in advance for the help and again, sorry if I come across as a complete tool. 

Pretty decent question! 

If you've recently moved over to the new Web Beta, you'll have noticed a wildly different user experience (to desktop). Many people find the new web version to be very basic and rudimentary. It might be just up your alley if you want to create a note right off the bat and have a more distraction-free experience - or at least that is the intention. As it stands, you'll find it difficult to search through notebooks (web client)... but, then again, as you mentioned, you're somewhat new to Evernote and may not have that many notebooks to search anyways. 

You'll find the desktop client much richer in terms of features that you can tinker around with... although, I think it quite interesting to become adept at switching between clients comfortably. I personally use iOS and Windows desktop clients... and I've found that it's not only a matter of practicality or available features (using the device that is available/ within arm's-reach). For some things I prefer the feel of doing something on iPhone/ iPad... and at other times I prefer the feel of the desktop. I'd tinker around with both Web and Desktop if I were you... you may very well end up using both on a regular basis. 

If you were restricting your experience to the new Web Beta, I'd say you might be missing out on a number of Desktop features. For sure, you'll find more versatility on Desktop... but if you like the new web interface, it might just be your zen-like environment in which to work if you're writing, for example.

There are too many "missing" features to mention when comparing the (new) web client and Desktop... but one, off the top of my head, is that one cannot annotate PDFs and images on the web client. I'm not sure how much more they are going to tweak the new web UI... we'll have to wait and see :-)

You sound like your on the right track.  I am not going to response to your question because ^^^ pretty much answer it. I would suggest installing every evernote client that your setup can support, web clippers for your browsers, even skitch and penultimate.

You will inevitably find the way you like to work in evernote, and then be able to personalize their system to maximize your own productivity.

Good luck.

• 2 years later...

Not sure where to express this in order for the correct eyes to see it so, here goes: Evernote web is so, SO much more attractive a platform to work on. I see it and I actually want to use Evernote again. However, I really need a desktop application. My feeling is that until the desktop has the same aesthetic as the web I am unlikely to become a subscriber and will just stick to free. Truly, the web version is beauty and it is the way the desktop should also look. Cheers.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, evero said:

Not sure where to express this in order for the correct eyes to see it so, here goes: Evernote web is so, SO much more attractive a platform to work on. I see it and I actually want to use Evernote again. However, I really need a desktop application. My feeling is that until the desktop has the same aesthetic as the web I am unlikely to become a subscriber and will just stick to free. Truly, the web version is beauty and it is the way the desktop should also look. Cheers.

I would definitely take the opposite side of that. I hate the web UI. For me, function trumps Apple/Google lots-of-wasted-whitespace aesthetics.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, evero said:

However, I really need a desktop application.

Which platform/device?
Evernote supplies software for various platforms; Mac, Windows, IOS, Android
There's a download page link at www.evernote.com
Aesthetics aside, I find the Win/Mac platforms much more functional than the web

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Which platform/device?
Evernote supplies software for various platforms; Mac, Windows, IOS, Android
There's a download page link at www.evernote.com

Yes, I should have mentioned that. I work primarily in Mac + IOS and it is the Mac desktop client that I referred. It is functional yet dated. Even a single panel option where one only sees the space one is reading or writing would be wonderful.  Thanks for asking.

6 minutes ago, tavor said:

I would definitely take the opposite side of that. I hate the web UI. For me, function trumps Apple/Google lots-of-wasted-whitespace aesthetics.

Terrific. We disagree. :) The web UI is as you note, a lot of whitespace aesthetic which for me not wasted but inviting and is highly functional because I actually use it; to journal, create, edit, clip-to, organize. The drawback for me is that none of that is available in an offline version. 

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, evero said:

Even a single panel option where one only sees the space one is reading or writing would be wonderful.  Thanks for asking.

Yes, that as an option makes sense. Maybe something similar to the way we can, via shortcut key, collapse the side panel into a very narrow column of only icons (no words)*. Having a similar ability with respect to the note list would let the current note occupy most of the screen real estate. A one-key shortcut to toggle this could be useful for when is going to focus on one note for a while.

*This is true of Windows app, not sure if it works the same in Mac app.

1 minute ago, tavor said:

True in Windows, yes. Not in Mac. Again, at the outset I should have mentioned the platform I work on; Mac and iOS.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, evero said:

Yes, I should have mentioned that. I work primarily in Mac + IOS and it is the Mac desktop client that I referred. It is functional yet dated. Even a single panel option where one only sees the space one is reading or writing would be wonderful.  Thanks for asking.

My experience is the platforms are becoming similar in appearance59a035a0012f9_ScreenShot2017-08-25at07_30_38.png.8e37e9fbfe826541faf5a5d06d696510.png59a035a2c592b_ScreenShot2017-08-25at07_32_00.png.932698f7db24c91704a49f7a781666f3.png
(Evernote has a common editor project)

What features are you looking for

>>Even a single panel option where one only sees the space one is reading or writing would be wonderful.

On Macs, you can open a note in it's own window
Even go full screen

Just now, DTLow said:

On Macs, you can open a note in it's own window
Even go full screen

I last used Evernote most on a PC. Since my switch to all things Apple I must admit that I was not aware of that option. How did I miss that? Thanks. It's not web UI but yes indeed it does that 'job'. Appreciated. 

• Level 5*

As far as I can tell, the web client may be aesthetically more pleasing to some, but it's functionally a lot less capable, and recently it appears to be somewhat lagging in terms of improvements. It may even be somewhat broken; see the reports of missing/lost/duplicated notes with the web client; it's even starting to feel like it's been neglected (there, I said it, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong on the point). Anyways, a pretty UI on an application that does a lot less than what I need isn't something that I can use day in and day out (which I can do with the Windows client). I wanted to like the web client, but it's really fallen off, and it's just not there at this time, not even close. Horses for courses, and all that, of course

• Level 5
2 hours ago, tavor said:

Yes, that as an option makes sense. Maybe something similar to the way we can, via shortcut key, collapse the side panel into a very narrow column of only icons (no words)*. Having a similar ability with respect to the note list would let the current note occupy most of the screen real estate. A one-key shortcut to toggle this could be useful for when is going to focus on one note for a while.

WRT a one-key shortcut to toggle side panel and/or note list off and on, in the Windows program F10 does so for the side panel and F11 for the note list. Pressing both (in succession or simultaneously) leaves you with just the editor workspace--I've never actually tried that, but it looks rather inviting, especially, as you say, for focusing on a single note for awhile.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

WRT a one-key shortcut to toggle side panel and/or note list off and on, in the Windows program F10 does so for the side panel and F11 for the note list. Pressing both (in succession or simultaneously) leaves you with just the editor workspace--I've never actually tried that, but it looks rather inviting, especially, as you say, for focusing on a single note for awhile.

I knew about F10 to toggle the side panel, but was unaware that F11 toggled the note list. Nice! That's a useful feature and will replace opening a note in its own window when I want to give the note more screen real estate. :)

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, tavor said:

I knew about F10 to toggle the side panel, but was unaware that F11 toggled the note list. Nice! That's a useful feature and will replace opening a note in its own window when I want to give the note more screen real estate. :)

You can see shortcut keys for menu items (e.g. View / Note List) in the menu. A good thing to scan every now and again to make sure you're up to date with your shortcuts.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, tavor said:

Maybe something similar to the way we can, via shortcut key, collapse the side panel into a very narrow column of only icons (no words)*.

No shortcut but Mac users can drag the side of the sidebar 59a087b83bbf7_ScreenShot2017-08-25at13_23_38.png.9f57fab052e3f52e2d1f92abffe1f456.png

This is my standard

I can drag it even further so just icons are displayed.  I leave room for my shortcut list to be displayed

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, jefito said:

It may even be somewhat broken; see the reports of missing/lost/duplicated notes with the web client; it's even starting to feel like it's been neglected (there, I said it, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong on the point)

Rumor had it some time back that a new(er) version of the web client was in the works after the new version didn't seem to be "happening".  But that was a ways back.  To reinforce the other point.... side list view visible in the background....

Image.png.411c7e9d41895edcab77ebf46d8ac568.png

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, csihilling said:

Rumor had it some time back that a new(er) version of the web client was in the works after the new version didn't seem to be "happening".  But that was a ways back.

Yeah, I read that, too, but no real changes have been forthcoming for awhile, as far as I can tell. I use the web client occasionally if I want to see something from my other account that I haven't shared, but nothing really except for viewing. If there were a great web client that has fast search and performance (a la GMail), then I'd consider using it, but the Windows desktop clients works fine for me.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

Yeah, I read that, too, but no real changes have been forthcoming for awhile, as far as I can tell. I use the web client occasionally if I want to see something from my other account that I haven't shared, but nothing really except for viewing. If there were a great web client that has fast search and performance (a la GMail), then I'd consider using it, but the Windows desktop clients works fine for me.

Same here re the web client, I only use it when I’m trying to verify something.  Not sure I would use a fully functional web client versus the desktop. 

Archived