force sync from online server

DrJoker

Hi everybody,

so I was working on my local evernote desktop client, and I wanted to delete a note, but instead I accidentally deleted a whole notebook. I tried 'undo', and who knows what that did but it didn't restore it. I tried to restore from the trash, but that just restored individual notes and not the notebook. It also changes the dates things were edited so rearranges my notes. Anyhow, I was able to exit the client before syncing. So on my account online, things are the way they should be. I am afraid that once I start the destop client again it will sync, and overwrite what I have online. How can I force the desktop client to sync the other way, i.e. have things the way they are right now on the web? Thanks.

Hi everybody,

so I was working on my local evernote desktop client, and I wanted to delete a note, but instead I accidentally deleted a whole notebook. I tried 'undo', and who knows what that did but it didn't restore it. I tried to restore from the trash, but that just restored individual notes and not the notebook. It also changes the dates things were edited so rearranges my notes. Anyhow, I was able to exit the client before syncing. So on my account online, things are the way they should be. I am afraid that once I start the destop client again it will sync, and overwrite what I have online. How can I force the desktop client to sync the other way, i.e. have things the way they are right now on the web? Thanks.

If you're using the regular Windows desktop client (not the Touch), you can rebuild your local database by fully exiting Evernote, renaming the your-login-name.exb file & then invoking Evernote.  You will need to provide login credentials & then it will rebuild your local database from what's on the EN servers..  (I would rename the exb file, not delete it.)  Keep in mind that any other changes you had made that were not sync'd to the cloud will not be included. 

Also, if you have any local (non-sycn'd) notebooks, you will need to export those notes to enex & then restore them to the newly built local database.  Exporting to enex does not retain notebook information and will break any internal note links. 

• Level 5*

You cannot undo a notebook delete operation. You notes are (were) safe in the Trash, it's just the database that's deleted; you could just let it sync, add back the notebook that you created, and restore the notes from the trash, and move them to the newly created notebook. I'd make a copy of my Evernote database beforehand, just to be safe; you can find it via Tools / Options / General / Open Database Folder: it's the .exb file there.

BurgersNFries' way will work, too, but may take a while if you have a lot of notes.

You cannot undo a notebook delete operation. You notes are (were) safe in the Trash, it's just the database that's deleted; you could just let it sync, add back the notebook that you created, and restore the notes from the trash, and move them to the newly created notebook. I'd make a copy of my Evernote database beforehand, just to be safe; you can find it via Tools / Options / General / Open Database Folder: it's the .exb file there.

BurgersNFries' way will work, too, but may take a while if you have a lot of notes.

This changes the modified date, which OP indicated he does not want to do. 

• Level 5*

This changes the modified date, which OP said he does not want to do. 

Right -- you are the expert, for sure. I just tend to get a little leery about mucking around with .exb files, myself.

Archived