No highlighter?

Is it me or is it Evernote?

There is no way that I can find to highlight text? 

No I don't want to change the color of the text I want to highlight it. Even the text editor that this forum uses has a highlighter. Please say it's just me.

Ok...it's just you.

It's always helpful to mention what client(s) you're using, when asking for help.  Highlighting is available in some (many?) clients.  I know in the Windows desktop, highlighting is available.

I don't use the Web version so can't help you there, but I can with the Android app. When you create or open an existing note, in the lower right-hand corner of your screen, you should see a capital "A" in a circle. Tap this icon to expand the editing menu bar. The 4th symbol from the left is the highlighter.

To see the remaining editing options on the editing menu bar, swipe it as far left as it will go. Just tap any symbol on the menu bar to use that function. Tap the circled A icon to shrink it out of site again.

Oh, just as an FYI in case you don't already know. To open an existing note that you want to edit, tap on it, then tap the pencil in a green circle, also in the lower right hand part of your screen.

Android and Web... Thanks for the quick response.

• 1 year later...

Right...but the highlighting function doesn't recognize the underlying text, which means I can draw with a  highlighter on top of the text but it looks pretty messy, in part because my hands are a bit shaky sometimes, and in part because nobody can draw perfectly straight lines all of the time. 

It seems like Evernote should be able to implement text-recognition for its annotation feature, as this is standard in many other apps that annotate PDFs. Plus, Evernote already has text recognition; it just doesn't put that recognition to use with the highlighter tool. On my iPad, apps with this capability include, for example, GoodReader, PDF Expert, iAnnotate, PDFReader Pro, Foxit PDF, PDF Max, Good Notes, TagNotate, and more, but not Evernote. The highlighters in the other apps recognize the text so you can quickly draw smooth, straight highlighter lines, rather than having it look like scribble. And yes, you could tell me that I should just use those apps instead, but I'd prefer to use Evernote if it could just add this one simple feature. 

Thanks for listening!

I would like to join in on this. I click the circles 'A' and then being asked if I want to 'annotate the entire document'. I I answer yes to this a bar opens on the left sida with different tools such as am arrow, market, write text and so on, but no highlighter. Am I missing something here?

Many thanks, Lotta

I just picked  up my iPad pro and also installed Evernote.

i as well am looking to highlight, but can't see any A on the screen. 

In fact, I don't see any font selection when typing a note. Perhaps things have changed much with the new iOS.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Guess my intuitive nature is failing me.

thanks,

lynn

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5*
On 15/06/2016 at 7:50 PM, rgluckada@gmail.com said:

It would be very helpful if the highlighter tool was available on the web (i.e. desktop) version. I use Chrome on a PC and as much as I love the web app, it is much easier to go through a long article and highlight on my computer than on my phone. 

Is the installed version not suitable for you?  Evernote desktop is a lot easier to use...

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2016 at 6:31 AM, gazumped said:

Is the installed version not suitable for you?  Evernote desktop is a lot easier to use...

I also would like to see highlighting in the web application. The installed version requires having the IT department, distant in both time and space, install it. Simpler to use the online version.

• 7 months later...
  • Level 5*

I doubt Evernote will fix any bugs/ missing features in the current web version - although I could be,  and often am,  totally wrong.  However the current web version is in itself a half-finished beta from an earlier age of web design and lots of interesting and useful things have happened since.  Evernote seem to be starting again,  with a prospective (beta) relaunch 'in early 2017' so unless they got distracted (again) you might see something soon.

https://blog.evernote.com/tech/2016/10/17/bringing-micro-services-to-the-client-side-project-ion-and-micro-components

• 1 year later...

I use Evernote on Safari web browser (on my Mac) and previously had the yellow highlighter on the tool bar. For some reason it disappeared on me today and I can't locate it. Can someone help me to find it and have it placed back in the tool bar?

Archived