DropBox: Can't sync

Joe Nooks

I'm using Windows 7 and by right clicking on a file in My Documents I can 'send it to Evernote.  This works fine but when I change and save the file again it doesn't change in Evernote even tho I click on 'sync'.  Should I be copying/importing files into Evernote by a different method.  Many thanks to anyone who can help.  Joe

• Level 5*

Evernote does not have a file sync feature that syncs files on your local drive with Evernote Cloud.

EN does have an Import feature.  Once the file is imported into EN, it is NOT connected in any way with the original source file.

Generally, the approach is to Import a file into EN, then delete/archive the source file.  ALL further edits to the file are done in EN.

If you want file syncing, then you need a system like Dropbox.

Hi JMichael,

Just want to thank you for your advice on my sync problem.  I guess I was being a bit too optimistic in expecting files on my Pc and phone to remain the same no matter which one I updated and saved.

Thanks also for suggesting dropbox.  Can you say if that will do what I'm trying to achieve i.e. change and save a spreadsheet in either phone or Pc and the other will automatically be sync'd.

Best wishes.

Joe

• Level 5*

Hi Joe, glad to help.

Yes, Dropbox works pretty much on all platforms.  When a file in Dropbox is changed/saved on any device, it is sync'd to the DB cloud, and then to your other devices.  I use it daily with multiple Macs, iPhone 6+, and iPad Mini. 

Dropbox also works well with 3rd party apps like 1Password and TextExpander.  The settings/data for these apps are shared via DB across all my devices.

Hi JMichael and hope you don't mind me coming back again for a bit more help.

I've tried the following sequence..........

Copy a file from MyDocs on my PC to dropbox on my PC.

That file gets automatically syncd to dropbox on my phone and my tablet.

Open up the file on my phone, change it and save it.

This change gets updated on both the phone and the tablet and the file in the dropbox folder on the PC.

But, and it's a big but, the original file in MyDocs is unchanged.

Is that what you would expect and do you see any automatic way round it.  Can of course save the updated file in the dropbox folder to folder in MyDocs but it relies on me remembering and that might not happen.

Many thanks for any thoughts on this.

Kind regards

Joe

• Level 5*

I've tried the following sequence..........

Copy a file from MyDocs on my PC to dropbox on my PC.

That file gets automatically syncd to dropbox on my phone and my tablet.

Open up the file on my phone, change it and save it.

This change gets updated on both the phone and the tablet and the file in the dropbox folder on the PC.

But, and it's a big but, the original file in MyDocs is unchanged.

Is that what you would expect and do you see any automatic way round it.  Can of course save the updated file in the dropbox folder to folder in MyDocs but it relies on me remembering and that might not happen.

You have a file in MyDocs.

You make a copy of that file into the DropBox file structure (that's separate from MyDocs)

Now you have two separate files.

The DropBox file structure syncs across other of your DropBox instances on other devices, and the copy of the file that resides there is synced as well.

The MyDocs file structure is not synced, there, files in it are not synced anywhere, including the original copy of the file.

This is working as it should. If you want a file to be modifiable everywhere, it will need to reside in the DropBox file structure, and you need to edit it there.

I'm going to move this topic to the Third Party Programs forum, as it is no longer about Evernote.

Hi JMichael,

Just a final thank you for helping me out with the 'can't sync' problem.  It's all really clear to me now and I can see very clearly the way forward.  As you suggest, I'll let the file reside in Dropbox or Evernote where it will sync with all other devices.

With best wishes.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I found a Microsoft app called Synch Toy that allows me to synch a target folder with my Dropbox folder.  Whenever anything is changed in My Documents, it is copied to Dropbox and synchs to the cloud.  Makes documents, etc available on all my various platorms

Archived