2 Gripes

Good day all,

First off, let me say that there is a lot that I like about Evernote.  It has a nice interface, it's easy to use, and syncs extremely well.  I sync Evernote on 4 devices and it has only had a few syncing issues, and most of the time when a sync issue comes up, I can see the Conflicting Changes that have occurred.

However, I do have 2 gripes with the application so far.  I just signed up for Evernote Premium.  I'm interested in trying out the premium features, but really liked the idea of having multiple notebooks.  I wanted to create multiple notebooks so I didn't clog up 1 account.  Let me start with my first gripe.

My first gripe is that I think you should be able to create an endless amount of sub-folders or stacks in Evernote.  I can't begin to tell you how many times I wish I could separate something out into several different sub-stacks.  I really wish Evernote had this option.

Secondly, I find that switching between different user accounts to access other notebooks is rather simple.  But, it only shows the last notebook you accessed.  I want to be able to see all of the notebooks I have synced up to all of my different email accounts.  I don't even necessarily think that one should need a separate email address to make a separate notebook in Evernote, but alas, I'll work with it.

There are many different facets to my life that are unrelated to one another.  I think these different facets would be organized best by having separate notebooks that I can access.  I really wish I could just select File at the top of the menu, and see a list of all of the Evernote notebooks I have.  Can't this data be cached on the local PC and store all email accounts that have logged into Evernote from that PC?

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing, because I'm not.  I really like Evernote.  I just wanted to point out some of the frustrations that I've encountered and wanted to express them on this forum with the hopes that it will spur some change or at least, start a discussion pointing out the logistics and flaws of my frustrations.  I'd appreciate any feedback.

Sincerely,

Speck

• Level 5*

You get 250 notebooks play with, currently.

Beyond that, you get endless numbers of tags to help you to categorize.

The lack of arbitrarily nested notebooks has been well hashed out in these forums. Evernote doesn't seem interested in this; there are workarounds. I'd suggest that you have a search to see for yourself.

I don't know what you mean by "it", when you say  "but, it only shows the last notebook you accessed". There are a number of different Evernote clients. Which one are you using? What were you doing to trigger the behavior that you don't like? Switching between separate user accounts is a pain on some clients, you might look into sharing notebooks.

I'm referring to the option to switch to another account by either selecting your username next to the human icon in the top left, or by selecting File at the top left and selecting an account listed at the bottom of the drop-down menu.  I am using the PC version of Evernote by the way.

I was just wondering why it only shows 2 accounts when I have 4.  Why doesn't Evernote display all of the Evernote accounts that I have.  It just shows the account I am currently signed into, and the account that I last signed into.

• Level 5*

I'm referring to the option to switch to another account by either selecting your username next to the human icon in the top left, or by selecting File at the top left and selecting an account listed at the bottom of the drop-down menu.  I am using the PC version of Evernote by the way.

Yes, I understand that. I find that notebook sharing is generally easier, particularly if you don't need write access to all notebook shared to you (so that it makes it more possible to use a free account for one of your accounts). And it's particularly onerous to do on Android devices, since switching means that all of your cached notes and headers for the previous account are discarded, and the headers and offline notes for the new account need to be downloaded.

I don't know why Evernote doesn't show more than the last account you signed into, on whichever Evernote client you're using (which you haven't specified). Maybe they didn't anticipate that people would have more than two accounts at a time, and do a lot of switching around. As I say, I believe that sharing is a better option. I don't need my entire work account on my home machine (even when I work at home; if I do need to get to that whole account, I can always just access it via the web client, but that's very rare); ditto for my home account when I'm at work. No logging into separate accounts required.

Archived