Automatically create a note with YYYYMMDD title?

• Level 5

My hope is an Android user will post an equivalent to Everlog (iOS).

I can create templates with any algorithm based Evernote title in Everlog.
It's a great way to start a note in Evernote with consistent titling, tagging and note structure.

post-97027-0-56165300-1413826637_thumb.p

My hope is an Android user will post an equivalent to Everlog (iOS).

I can create templates with any algorithm based Evernote title in Everlog.

It's a great way to start a note in Evernote with consistent titling, tagging and note structure.

As far as I can understand Everlog does something different: it creates a template that you can use when you want to create a note. It doesn't create a note automatically at a given time every day or every week. 

I use Android equivalents (WriteNote, BridgeNote) but they do not solve this problem. 

• Level 5

Aha.  It was the note title I was biasing the "automatic" to.

Those templates also have a per template URL call method.  So I have scheduling tools which call the URL at a certain time and generate an Evernote note, via the template.

Or rather than start a new note, it can start a new note per day if one doesn't exist and then append timestamped updates to the same note for each subsequent run.

So that lets me have a scheduled alert that pops up on the hour and asks "what are you working on", with a few taps and a note, I can capture that in a formatted way in Evernote.

• Level 5

I realize that's neither Android or not too technical.

My hope is that it triggers a memory or eyeballs to the thread of someone doing something similar on Android.

Aha.  It was the note title I was biasing the "automatic" to.

Those templates also have a per template URL call method.  So I have scheduling tools which call the URL at a certain time and generate an Evernote note, via the template.

Or rather than start a new note, it can start a new note per day if one doesn't exist and then append timestamped updates to the same note for each subsequent run.

So that lets me have a scheduled alert that pops up on the hour and asks "what are you working on", with a few taps and a note, I can capture that in a formatted way in Evernote.

This is very interesting, thank  you. I use similar method with WriteNote – it's on my phone's lock screen, so it goes really quickly. But still, an easily created note is not the same as automatically created note.

• Level 5*

Is it possible? I know about IFTTT.com. It can create a note at a specific time every day, however I have to rename it later, since IFTTT doesn't offer a choice (it's "13th of November, 2014" style).

Any other possible not too technical solutions (Mac, Android)? 

For the Mac, you can use tools like TextExpander to create any date/time format you wish, and have it autoexpand when you type the abbreviation, like "ymddate".  Then when you create your Note, just enter "ymddate" in the title field.

Is it possible? I know about IFTTT.com. It can create a note at a specific time every day, however I have to rename it later, since IFTTT doesn't offer a choice (it's "13th of November, 2014" style).

Any other possible not too technical solutions (Mac, Android)? 

For the Mac, you can use tools like TextExpander to create any date/time format you wish, and have it autoexpand when you type the abbreviation, like "ymddate".  Then when you create your Note, just enter "ymddate" in the title field.

No, it's not what I mean (though I indeed use TextExpander's snippet, abbreviated "ddate"). My question is how to create such a note automatically, every day. The way IFTTT does but with a proper title. 

No, it's not what I mean (though I indeed use TextExpander's snippet, abbreviated "ddate"). My question is how to create such a note automatically, every day. The way IFTTT does but with a proper title. 

Oh, OK.  Then one solution would be to use Applescript.

See Mac Productivity: Scheduling AppleScripts

Thanks! I don't know anything about AppleScripts, so probably my concern is entirely stupid, but wouldn't it work only when my mac is on?

Say if I manage to write a script (a highly improbable turn of events, but still) that creates a note every night at 3AM, then switch off the mac at 9PM, it will not be created? 

• Level 5*

Thanks! I don't know anything about AppleScripts, so probably my concern is entirely stupid, but wouldn't it work only when my mac is on?

Say if I manage to write a script (a highly improbable turn of events, but still) that creates a note every night at 3AM, then switch off the mac at 9PM, it will not be created? 

So the ONLY solution that would work when your Mac powered off is a web-based solution.  I don't know of any other than IFTTT.

Seems like with TextExpander it would be easy enough to edit the Title after creation.

Of course, you could automate that with AppleScript as well.

What's wrong with waiting until your Mac is turned on to create the Note?

What's wrong with waiting until your Mac is turned on to create the Note?

Because often there are other notes created before the mac is turned on: twits, check-ins, blog posts etc. Also I keep a diary (precisely in the note which is called YYYYMMDD, updating it from various devices). In the evening I merge all these notes in one daily entry. My diary should come before twits and other automatically downloaded content, and if it is written in a note created before everything else, merging only takes one second. If not, I have to change the time of creation, or copy paste – it takes time.

In other words, a list of daily notes sometimes looks like that: 

twit

twit

checkin

YYYYMMDD

twit

twit

... and I want it to look like that:

YYYYMMDD

twit

twit

checkin

twit

twit

• Level 5*

Using Applescript to create a Note you can set the Created Date/Time to be whatever you want.

So, even though the Note is actually created at 9am, the Created Time can be set to 3am, if that's what you wish.

It's really pretty easy to create a Note using AppleScript.  There are a number of examples on the Internet.

Just google "evernote applescript".  

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Zapier works. It's ALMOST perfect. The only drawback is that it creates dates without zero, that is 201491 while I prefer 20140901. 

Here's a link to the "zap" (what IFTTT calls "a recipe") which would create a new note in a given notebook at a given time: http://zpr.io/GVwJ.

Another useful thing it can do is to automatically create a reminder note. People often complain that Evernote does not have recurrent reminders – this is a way to enjoy them: http://zpr.io/GVwB

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, frogdude said:

I have just been trying filterize

Filterize.net 

it is potentially double the cost of you pro EN sub, but does work well. 

If you have a Mac, the scripting solution discussed above is free, and does most of the actions of Filterize

However, points to Filterize; it runs in the cloud; no device is required

Archived